daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #22901
Assemblage23
▄bereinstimmend

Likes (Received): 8107

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234sale View Post

At 30x speed..
This is brilliant. The music fits perfectly.

For How long was the camera recording?

Wichtige ─nderungen beginnen immer mit ganz neuen Perspektiven.

-
Assemblage23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #22902
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2674

Some more artsy stuff if your into it: Burj / Dubai Vector Art
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #22903
Library User

Likes (Received): 1

It could be --------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Here is a shot from today from Imre.

This thought was discussed a while ago but I would like to revisit it as we still have no answer. The row of cladding that has glazing of a much different color must be there for a reason. The 6.4 meter sections up there are cladded in 2 - 3.2 meter high parts. The row in question is all the way around and is the lower part of section 21A.

There was some discussion on it being clearer than the other glazing but Imre's site visit from last month shows all the glass is clear and easy to see out of.

There was also some discussion on the color being different for some major lighting effects from up there - this could be the case but why the need for a different color ?

The other idea was it is a higher observation point as it is up at 688.1 meters (by the way the plans measure which I will continue to use untill we have an official change from the CTBUH). This is substantially higher than the observation level 124 at 442.1 meters and is still fair size.

I don't think this is the case as people would have to climb many flights of very steep stairs by the looks of Imre's shots from tier 19 and after taking 2 different elevators from level 124. I can't see it ...

So I wonder what is the reason for it ?
Anyone that knows please enlighten us.
Anyone else with any other thoughts ?

Could it be a weather or other observation station - that needs unfettered conditions for obs/measurements ??

Also,

Let's remember that back in the spring, there was a construction lift that ran up to Tier 21 - with enough load capacity to lift in some equipment. We don't have such a lift now, but is it possible that another Pega could be installed to run from 18B up to 21-something ? If it was there before---why not again ?

Another point, the Burjdubai website has been converted to that of an open operating building, and the floor 195 elevator pictures are still there.

There could well be still enough space to do it at that level.

Fury has the plans to figure this out if it's possible.

Also, the steep stairs are only near the bottom of L160. There's more normal stairs running up to T23, outside the spire pipe - so getting around up there is not all that difficult. The steep stairs could well be a security deterrent to those unauthorized, and the Pega would be well controlled by the Security Guards.

As Fury said, it's there for a reason.

With the Burj, anything is possible.

Comments ?

Thank you
Library User no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #22904
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Hi Library.

First thanks for the heads up on the new burjdubai.com.
I think it looks great. Very informative and well laid out. I thought the old site was OK but now it is fitting for this great structure.
As for the elevator buttons with 195 on it ... well - blatantly misleading IMO. I mean the structure is tall enough to have that many levels but it simply doesn't - period.

The way I read the limited set of prints I have, the steep stairs in Imre's site visit shots (stair T18) are right beside the Pega lift starting at level 160 and go up to section 18B just like the lift and are the only stairs there. Then stair ST T27 starts at section 19. Imre was saying he had to climb a ladder from 18B to 19 and I see no stair in the plans either.

Stairs ST T27 turn into ST T28 on their way up to section 23 where they end as the highest stairs in the structure - it's all ladders above that. I am presuming both T27 and T28 are also very steep like T18.

Here is an elevation print of tiers 20 to 22. The stairs which must be T28 start at section 21A and look very steep to me.

So unless they do put in another small lift to go from section 18B to 21A one would have to do steep stairs, a ladder and many more steep stairs to get to 21A if it is an upper observation deck.
No way - can't see it as it stands now.

The idea of a weather station is yet another good one.

Old December 16th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #22905
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 185

maybe they made it a different color so people would ask why its different and get people asking questions.....this is dubai.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #22906

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisian Girl View Post

ARMANI

1772, the Burj Dubai is a mixed use tower with commercial and residential areas. The soft opening will be on January 4, 2010. As far as I know, this date is to commemorate the accession of Sheikh Mohammad, the Ruler of Dubai.
Thats right! I've read about it somewhere.
Thanks!
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #22907
HJ

Likes (Received): 6

Website Burj Dubai

The official (new) site of the Burj Dubai is online now. Here you can buy tickets for the observation deck opening in January. Looks like there getting ready!

http://www.burjdubai.com/

HJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #22908
Captain Kimo
☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinpeace View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_91HiqdULHA

Haha saw this at the Video Game Awards

Watch until the ending!!
Here is another trailer of the game:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/sp...emiere-trailer

Awesome.

Last edited by Captain Kimo; December 16th, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Captain Kimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #22909
Chakazoolu

Likes (Received): 116

Frickin awesome
Chakazoolu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #22910
Betelgeuze

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kimo View Post
Here is another trailer of the game:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/sp...emiere-trailer

Awesome.
Posted this already some time ago
Betelgeuze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #22911
Spandex

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
Definition of slavery: thralldom, enthrallment. Slavery, bondage, servitude refer to involuntary subjection to another or others. Slavery emphasizes the idea of complete ownership and control by a master

The construction workers in Dubai came there of their own free will in search of higher paying jobs than the ones offered in their own country. They are not the property of the construction companies are the Emirate of Dubai, because once their passport has expired, they *must* return to their home country. They aren't physically mistreated. I've never heard of a single beating or even murder. Some have died in accidents, but that is the nature of the construction business. These people are sending money back home to finance their family, not something you can do if you're paid slave wages. Most slaves don't even get wages, they just work without pay. These workers get really, really good pay compared to the meager wages they find in their home countries. In short, by no definition are they slaves. Use a dictionary.
dude... you obviously got it wrong as well... After I had posted something about this tower being a masterpiece someone quoted me and asked how I could call slavery a masterpiece... then I replied that no one cares if he wants to call these PAID JOBS slavery (which they are obviously not, no need for dictionary) and as I said, it has nothing to do with this building.
Please investigate the whole story before you make an ass of yourself promoting the use of dictionaries.

sorry all, offtopic, I just had to correct this crap
cheers
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #22912
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Lol I saw that too
WiGgLz01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #22913
Watching

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-ton View Post
maybe they made it a different color so people would ask why its different and get people asking questions.....this is dubai.
And this is SkyscraperCity ..... we LOVE questions!

OK. Above level 160 is mechanical I understand. That's about 200m of 'mechanical' space - some of which is big enough to use, some not. If it was a purely 'decorative' spire, then why put floors in there? There must be about 100m of usable space up there - albeit perhaps difficult to get to.

I am pretty sure that when the Burj was planned, every square foot of space was thought about; especially from a revenue generating point of view. Surely there are enough billionaires out there interested in 'owning' the highest room in the world? If I had the money I would!!!

Anyway ..... a weather observation deck sounds interesting. But aren't outside measurements taken? ie on a terrace or something. Or does someone sit up there, look out the window and say "yup, another hot and sunny day in downtown Dubai folks".

One final thought .... are the glass panels really a different colour? Could it be that they are just clean (for whatever reason)?
Watching no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #22914
bledi
سبحان الله و بحمده

Likes (Received): 285

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="300" data="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"> <param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=fr-fr&photo_secret=5cb14290b5&photo_id=4187083123&flickr_show_info_box=true"></param> <param name="movie" value="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377"></param> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=fr-fr&photo_secret=5cb14290b5&photo_id=4187083123&flickr_show_info_box=true" height="300" width="400"></embed></object>
bledi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #22915
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

There's a preview button, you know...
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #22916
moscowboy

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by moscowboy; December 17th, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
moscowboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #22917
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Likes (Received): 7

whats the price to get in the observation tower?
Abdallah K. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #22918
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Hi Watching.
The glazing could also have a different coating or no outer coating.

On another note here is a shot from m_Foto on Flickr from 09 12 07.

He calls the shot "from the Armani hotel level"
What that means exactly is open to debate but I think this may be part of the hotel lobby. It could be one of levels 5 to 8 as they are part of the Armani hotel levels but I'm not seeing doors to guestrooms in the hall. They could be further down the hallway though.

Old December 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #22919
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Thanks Fury for your own contribution of pics! The finishing of the lobby looks really great imo!
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #22920
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

Aerial view (in HD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU#t=35m43s

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae