daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:10 PM   #23461
worldsignia

Likes (Received): 0

Sorry, but if some one wants to give their opinion on things, they should at least know what they are talking about.
Paying attention to detail would also not harm ... Burj Dubai ? Burj Al Arab ? Hotel ?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6974104.ece
worldsignia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM   #23462
Francheska
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The inauguration of Burj Dubai, the world's tallest building, will also see the reveal of its official height which has not been disclosed by developer Emaar. Phil Blizzard however reveals, in this report, the facts and figures behind this 800m plus super skyscraper located in Downtown Burj Dubai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WLSmb0Row
Francheska no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:46 PM   #23463
spotila
SSC Mapper

Likes (Received): 223

what better birthday present could I get than the opening of the worlds tallest building ^_^
spotila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:52 PM   #23464
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Seems like they will announce an official height tomorrow. About time!

Fantastic shots by Imre by the way!
Thanks Jan

Still no info about the official height.
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:07 PM   #23465
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

There is a huge digital numbered light display at the park and although the numbers are not lit up you can clearly see 888
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:12 PM   #23466
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Of course all you can see on a not lit up LED display would be 888.

I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM   #23467
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

Haha

Fail!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM   #23468
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

I just wondered Altin how many would fall for it.

[email protected]
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:46 PM   #23469
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Damn, I'm such a party-pooper sometimes

I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:51 PM   #23470
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2781

LOL
Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:03 PM   #23471
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2781

LOL
Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:10 PM   #23472
London21

Likes (Received): 42

Burj Dubai to be world's tallest building

The 2,683 feet tall Burj Dubai will be declared the world's tallest building when it is opened on Monday.

By Richard Spencer in Dubai : the telegraph.co.uk
Published: 2:15PM GMT 01 Jan 2010

Life in present-day Dubai is not for the faint-hearted. But for those who fear neither heights nor financial crisis, the Gulf city-state is to offer an entirely new experience: the chance to spend the rest of your days thousands of feet up in the air.

Monday sees the long-awaited opening of the Burj Dubai, not only the world's tallest building but the world's tallest building by some 1,000 feet. At 2,683 feet tall, it is the height of the current highest skyscraper, Taipei 101 in Taiwan, with the Eiffel Tower perched on top.

Related Articles
First look inside Burj Dubai
Dubai tower becomes world's tallest building

That is the height up to which there will be residential apartments. For work, you can nip to the offices upstairs - anywhere up to the 160th floor, in fact. To eat, you can visit the restaurant on the 122nd, and to exercise you can use the gym on the 123rd, about 1,440 feet off the ground.

The gym has both an indoor and, unnervingly, an outdoor swimming pool.

One might fear such a high-flying yet enclosed life would get a little dull. But the tower's developers have a solution there, at least for the young.

The Burj Dubai is also intending to host the world's highest nightclub, 20 floors higher still than the gym.

Since ground was broken on the project in January 2004, the tower has inspired huge debate in Dubai which has mirrored the fortunes of the emirate after which it is named.

For the company which built it, Emaar, and the ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, it is a "shining accomplishment ... an icon of the new Middle East: prosperous, dynamic and successful".

The purple prose of tourist guidebooks has already had difficulty keeping up with Dubai's transformation from an oriental souk, with picturesque dish-dasha-clad locals bobbing on the creek in wooden dhows to the world capital of bling. For them, the Burj Dubai has proved a challenge. "Just damn tall," was the pithy conclusion of The Lonely Planet.

It can hardly be blamed. Burj in Arabic means tower, so that the building, which is set next to the Dubai Mall and the world's tallest fountain, called the Dubai Fountain, is actually named less than imaginatively "Dubai Tower".

As the global debt-fuelled property boom came to an end, Dubai's vision has turned to nightmare and with Dubai's fall from grace in November after admitting a multi-billion-dollar hole in its finances, the Burj took on a deeper symbolism.

Its sharp spire appeared to "pierce the bubble in the sky". One commentator compared it to Ozymandias, the poem in which Shelley describes the arrogant wreckage of a long-disappeared empire.

"Outrageous, wasteful, egotistical, ridiculous," a journalist wrote of the Burj after Dubai asked for a standstill on its debt repayments.

He portrayed its "sneer of cold command" as "thrusting a finger at the outside world even as its Ozymandian surroundings sink beneath the economic waters of the Gulf".

Whether Dubai's economy fails or recovers, however, the brute facts will remain: 8 million cubic feet of concrete, 31,000 tons of reinforcing steel, 167,000 square feet of stainless steel cladding, and 1.1 million square feet of double glazing have been mixed together to create a spire visible from 60 miles away across the desert. It will dwarf the new 1,776 ft 1 World Trade Center, also known as "Freedom Tower", being built on Ground Zero in New York, and is unlikely to be surpassed any time soon. The world recession has not been kind to mega-projects. Emaar's great rival in Dubai, Nakheel, builder of the Palm Islands, proposed a one-kilometre tall tower in 2008, but has put it on ice while it tries to tackle its multi-billion dollar debts.

As to the Burj's actual height, that remains officially a secret, which is odd since the developers have already told newspapers it is 818 metres tall, or 2,683 feet.

Also a mystery is who is going to live and work there, which is said to be a matter of client confidentiality. Despite the recession, the developers say it is sold out.

What happens to unlucky acrophobes whose employers suddenly decide to move from a pleasant ground-floor office next to the beach to a look-out perched two and a half thousand feet in the air, Emaar says that, with respect, it is none of their business.

"That is up to the clients," said a spokesman.
London21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM   #23473
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

For those who do not have media access or to distant from Dubai, I will have Iphone at inauguration so the second the height is announced I will post the number.

I imagine this will be at around 20.00 hours Dubai time.

I will take away vertical and horizontal lines from 888....................................although maybe no deletion required

Last edited by Old Town Resident; January 3rd, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:08 PM   #23474
Imre
Dubai

The building currently stands at just over 2,625 feet. Emaar won't disclose the tower's final height ahead of the opening, although most estimates put it at 2,684 feet, far taller than Taiwan's Taipei 101, which had been the world's tallest skyscraper at 1,670 feet.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...03-702584.html
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:25 PM   #23475
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Why wont they announce at the inauguration?

Unless at that time they plan to jack up the pinnacle just like happened at Taipai 101 on opening day
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:48 PM   #23476
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 45

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm starting to get really fricking excited about tomorrow

Just want to take a bit of a time out to thank Imre for all his posts over the years. It really isn't stretching the truth to say that if it wasn't for his updates, I quite probably wouldn't have made the decision to move to Dubai.

gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:51 PM   #23477
Imre
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francheska View Post
The inauguration of Burj Dubai, the world's tallest building, will also see the reveal of its official height which has not been disclosed by developer Emaar. Phil Blizzard however reveals, in this report, the facts and figures behind this 800m plus super skyscraper located in Downtown Burj Dubai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WLSmb0Row
He is talking about 12.000 workers at the Burj Dubai , all media said the same but the safety record board says 14.108 workers.

[IMG]http://i50.************/2mcxfv9.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:18 PM   #23478
Michiel

Likes (Received): 5964

Amazing photos Imre, it must be scary on top of that mast.
Michiel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:28 PM   #23479
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
For those who do not have media access or to distant from Dubai, I will have Iphone at inauguration so the second the height is announced I will post the number.

I imagine this will be at around 20.00 hours Dubai time.

I will take away vertical and horizontal lines from 888....................................although maybe no deletion required
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident
Why wont they announce at the inauguration?

Unless at that time they plan to jack up the pinnacle just like happened at Taipai 101 on opening day
Hi OTR.

You do like to stir the pot don't you.
Optimism is a good thing - but ......

Ahh - NO - the height won't be 888 ...
Ahh - NO - the pinnacle won't be jacked up ...

It didn't look like there is any provision for a large flagpole or lightning rod by the looks of Imre's visit to the top. Nor is there any way the pinnacle is not welded solid a long time ago. There does look like there is a clamp(s) for a small pole, rod, or antennae though but I would think it would be erected by now if there is gonna be one.

The question is whether Emaar will announce 818.0 or 824.6 (or .7 or .8 ...).
It depends whether they collaborate with the CTBUH before the announcement.

Thanks for letting us know asap after they release the height OTR.

Waiting with baited breath ....
to hear ...
824.6 or 824.7 or 824.8 meters.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:33 PM   #23480
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

[IMG]http://i47.************/nv4op3.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.burjdubai.com/downtown-bu...ting-here.aspx

Burj Dubai Inauguration
Venue: Burj Park Island, Downtown Burj Dubai
Date: 04. 01. 2010
Time: Doors open at 5 pm
Doors close at 7 pm

Last edited by 234sale; January 3rd, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae