daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:12 PM   #23501
eldarkhan

Likes (Received): 82

Super cool)))
eldarkhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:25 PM   #23502
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

ITS THE 4TH OF JAN NOW

GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:41 PM   #23503
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

I'm not sure if this has been cleared up yet but which company (if any) will broadcast the opening in the US?
WiGgLz01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM   #23504
мансур

Likes (Received): 73

Can someone post the exact time of the opening ceremony.
мансур no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:52 PM   #23505
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by мансур View Post
Can someone post the exact time of the opening ceremony.
- Time & Date: 04.01.2010 Monday 17:00 UAE time (13:00 GMT)
- Duration: 2 hours

Some 'old-skool' pictures:

Last edited by Dequal; January 4th, 2010 at 12:08 AM.
Dequal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #23506
Vito Corleone

Likes (Received): 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Hi OTR.

You do like to stir the pot don't you.
Optimism is a good thing - but ......

Ahh - NO - the height won't be 888 ...
Ahh - NO - the pinnacle won't be jacked up ...

It didn't look like there is any provision for a large flagpole or lightning rod by the looks of Imre's visit to the top. Nor is there any way the pinnacle is not welded solid a long time ago. There does look like there is a clamp(s) for a small pole, rod, or antennae though but I would think it would be erected by now if there is gonna be one.

The question is whether Emaar will announce 818.0 or 824.6 (or .7 or .8 ...).
It depends whether they collaborate with the CTBUH before the announcement.

Thanks for letting us know asap after they release the height OTR.

Waiting with baited breath ....
to hear ...
824.6 or 824.7 or 824.8 meters.

There is a good possibility that it will be a bit taller than 824.8.
Vito Corleone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #23507
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Haha I hope it will be 828.8m
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #23508
Dequal
Architect

Height in the plans could be 818.0 meters, but if they have to measure from the sidewalk, it could be smaller.
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #23509
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

I just posted this light test going on at this moment on You Tube.

P!ss poor quality but just a little taster for later today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqnRhYLXdDE
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #23510
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

so want to watch this live, alas there seems to be no way of watching online, big fat bums!

a 3 min slot on the afternoon news will not do! lol
brummad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #23511
GulfArabia

Burj Dubai on evening light 31.12.2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CauOp7xC67Q
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #23512
bledi
سبحان الله و بحمده

Likes (Received): 285

JOUR J
bledi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #23513
Dequal
Architect

Yes yes, only a matter of hours now.
Old January 4th, 2010, 02:21 AM   #23514
Chrispic

Likes (Received): 517

A historic day... congratulations !!
Old January 4th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #23515
GulfArabia

the burj on the news, just uploaded on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz4ArJhLKYQ
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #23516
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8
SSC

Likes (Received): 843

How exciting! I can not wait, it will be spectacular, incredible, amazing, wow

Please Imre, otldtown, altind, gerald, desert river, 234sale everyone take great photos, videos, event information, this will be unique and wonderful, worthy of the Burj

It will be a shame not to watch it live, but I trust that will surprise us as always.
I hope to see hundreds of photos tomorrow jaja
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #23517
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Corleone View Post
There is a good possibility that it will be a bit taller than 824.8.
Based on ............. what ............... ?

I mean of course there is a possibility it will be a little taller or shorter .. but IMO that is only a possibility if the CTBUH actually measures it and I wish they would, personally.

Many projects around the world openly state the planned height in many ways including publicly available developers permits late in the planning stage.
With the BD we have plans to go by much to the chagrin of the developer and without them we would have no idea and would have to go by what the press puts out - .

Over the years I haven't seen one document or drawing or print that shows any deviation from the plans' latest revision's height. The only thing that got me a little concerned is the revision not to have the planned top platform. After some thought I deemed it inconsequential :
1 - the floor of the planned platform was to be at 818.0
2 - there are no weld lines at the top of tier 30 so I am confident they welded the floor with the hatch down inside the top of the 818.0 meter high tier 30 rather than the floor being at 818 and extending tier 30 as the "railing".

IMO this thing is 818.0 as per the plans measured from the floor of the ground level to the top of tier 30.
The CTBUH's height to tip will include the 6.0 meter high concourse level beneath the ground level and the ~0.6 meter high beacons on the top. I posted some weeks ago on the new criteria they use for the start of the measurement and how the concourse level clearly meets the requirements so I won't go into it again.

I could be wrong - like everyone else here I didn't hang a half mile long tape measure down the side - but my educated guess is much more educated than most of the general public.

We should hopefully know in approx. 12 hours.

824.~6 meters

Old January 4th, 2010, 04:13 AM   #23518
WiGgLz01
BANNED

hey does anyone have a map like this:

of the new development?
Old January 4th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #23519
Destroyed007
This space is for sale

Likes (Received): 3

Does anybody know if there will be any live streams for the internet? I'm having a hard time to add a new satellite list to the box for Dubai One, so I gave up then.
Destroyed007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #23520
FazilLanka

Likes (Received): 9

World's tallest building set to open in Dubai

By Malcolm Borthwick
Editor, Middle East Business Report, BBC World, Dubai

The Burj Dubai dwarfs its neighbouring buildings
In recent years Dubai has grabbed the headlines with audacious offshore islands, rotating buildings and a seven star hotel. On Monday it opens the world's tallest building, Burj Dubai.

It's about twice the height of the Empire State Building, you can see its spire from 95km away and the exterior is covered in about 26,000 glass panels, which glisten in the midday desert sun.

The design of the building posed unprecedented technical and logistical challenges, not just because of its height, but also because Dubai is susceptible to high winds and is close to a geological fault line.

"You have the solutions for it but you always wonder how it will really work," Mohamed Ali Alabbar, chairman of Emaar, the developer behind Burj Dubai told the BBC.

"We have been hit with lightning twice, there was a big earthquake last year that came across from Iran, and we have had all types of wind which has hit us when we were building. The results have been good and I salute the designers and professionals who helped build it."

West to East shift

One of the companies behind the Burj was the Canadian-based wind engineering firm RWDI. Extreme wind speeds on the ground in Dubai can reach 50km an hour. At the top of the building it can be three times as fast.

Wayne Boulton, general manager of RWDI's wind engineering team in the Middle East, explains how they tested the building for wind resistance.

"We constructed a scale model and put it in a wind tunnel," he says. "In the wind tunnel we are able to test a number of different wind speeds and directions. We can test the pressure you would get on the surface of the building under normal conditions and also under more extreme events."

Standing at over 800 metres, Burj Dubai has easily smashed the previous world record, Taiwan's Taipei 101, which is 508 metres high. The last couple of decades have seen a shift in the building of skyscrapers from the West to the East. Four out of five of the world's tallest buildings are in Asia and the Middle East.

"It comes down to confidence," says Andrew Charlesworth from property consultants Jones Lang LaSalle. "A lot of these emerging economies see themselves as important players in the world and want to show they can deliver these sort of projects.

"The wealth of the world is shifting from the West to the East and emerging economies want to highlight their future expectations in terms of where they are gong to be positioning themselves globally."

White elephant?

Dubai is a city of superlatives, where everything has to be the biggest and the boldest. But like many of the world's past tallest buildings, Burj Dubai was planned and built during the boom years, and finished during a property crash. The Empire State Building was completed during the Great Depression in the 1930s and the Petronas Towers in Malaysia during the 1990s Asian financial crisis.

This has led many to question whether this latest record breaker is a white elephant. Though Mohamed Ali Alabbar argues it is anything but.

"As of today we have sold 90% of the building and we expect it to be 90%-occupied," he says. "We were lucky to make more than a 10% return. Originally we thought we'd be lucky to break even, because we can make so much money from the land around Burj Dubai which is a 500-acre site."

BURJ DUBAI IN NUMBERS
95: distance in km at which its spire can be seen
504: rise in metres of its main service lift
57: number of lifts
49: number of office floors
1,044: number of residential apartments
900: length in feet of the fountain at the foot of the tower, the world's tallest performing fountain
28,261: number of glass panels on the exterior of the tower
The fact that the developer has made a profit on its $1.5bn (£928m) investment has been helped by the fact that it bought the land with equity and not cash, and that it pre-sold most of the apartments and offices before the property crash.

Investors have already handed over 80% of the value of the apartments and offices, and will pay the remaining 20% on moving in. And in contrast to many unfinished developments in Dubai, the default rate among investors has been low.

But for investors, it has been a mixed picture. Fortunes have been won and lost on the Dubai property market, which has collapsed in spectacular fashion. Like many properties here, Burj Dubai was sold "off-plan" or before the building was completed. Offices and apartments went on sale in 2004 and most were snapped up by both local and international investors in just two days.

Mohamed Abdul Hadi is one local investor who made millions out of Burj Dubai long before the building was completed. "In 2007 we bought three floors on Burj Dubai," he told the BBC. "The first investor paid 2,500 UAE dirhams ($680; £420) per square foot. We bought at AED 3,500 and one year later we sold at around AED 5,000. Look at the profit, where else can you have this but Dubai? And with no taxes."

Oversupply

But those who invested late will be nursing large losses, according to Saud Masud, a real estate analyst at Swiss investment bank UBS. "Late stage investors may find this a lot more challenging because property prices in Dubai have come down by 50% and we think prices are likely to go down another 30%," he says.

During the peak of construction, there were 12,000 workers on site
"We have an oversupply in the property market today. We think it will reach 25% to 30% vacancy rates for residential property in a year's time, and for commercial property it's already 40%. Burj Dubai is not immune to that."

The landscape of Dubai has changed dramatically over the last two decades. Sheikh Zayed Road is the 12-lane super-highway which runs through the city and is named after the UAE's founding father. Twenty years ago there were just a few tall buildings here, now there are hundreds, all jostling for space. But in the three years that I've been here, the frenzied pace of construction has slowed down and many cranes now stand idle.

Developers are holding back on new multi-billion dollar flagship projects and focusing on finishing existing projects instead. About $190bn worth of Dubai real estate projects are currently on hold, according to Middle East Economic Digest. As in many parts of the world, banks are reluctant to lend and investors are reluctant to spend. Burj Dubai could mark the end of an era for skyscrapers in the Gulf - at least in the short term.
FazilLanka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae