daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #24141
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
haha..but the pool itself looks awful, is it to stay like that?
As you can see they're still working on it. I don't think it stays this way, or at least I hope not. The water is too transparent and the fountains look ugly by daylight.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #24142
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengineer View Post
Please don't get me wrong. I've been following the development of this project since the foundation was laid and I am in awe of the magnificient human accomplishment on display but now that it is all completed, it annoys me that the Sheikh Mohammed and Emaar organization are being praised and congratulated here. I mean seriously. This structure has been designed by Americans, crafted by Koreans and built by thousands of migrant workers who were not even from Dubai. Emaar and the Sheikh had the easy task of writing the checks to pay everyone and managing the finances in which they failed at so miserably almost plunging their city-state into complete and utter bankruptcy. I think it is quite pathetic.

In my humble opinion, the party being congratulated and praised has accomplished nothing and have yet to contribute anything to the world. The Burj (Dubai) Khalifa is not their accomplishment. It is the accomplishment of the brilliant engineers and diligent workers who envisioned and constructed this monument
Everyone already knows all of that.
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:40 AM   #24143
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 2002

Khalifa Tower?
That's pretty sad but, we do that all the time here in America so.... join the club.
Still, not only is the tower incomparable, but it looks good too. It didn't have to. Congratulations!
Now fill it
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #24144
Spandex

Likes (Received): 1

at vengineer for ="Please don't get me wrong. I've been blahblahblahblab....it annoys me that the Sheikh Mohammed and Emaar blahblahblah are being praised and congratulated here.blahblahblah. This structure has been designed by Americans, crafted by Koreans and built by thousands of migrant workers who were not even from Dubai. Emaar and the Sheikh had the easy task of blahblahblah
In my humble opinion, BLABLAHBLAH BLAH"=

wow.......
Dude seriously??

If not the koreans.... they would have found some one else
if not the pakistanis/indians..... they would have found someone else
if not the americans.... they would have found someone else (even though with different resulsts)
but without the dubaians (?? how is it in plural) nothing would have happened at all

so please go back to your "world saving job" of who knows - banker? broker? secretary? gardener? who fricking cares, cuz you aint more then one of the billions, but they made THIS!!!!!!!!

---------

dont care about the name, it will be burj dubai for me as for so many following this project for years. But the new name will catch on.

Awesome show!!!!! thanx all for updating us who could not be there!

wonder how many post there have been in the last 24 hours, I couldnt keep up.

thanx for those years all of you active updaters and constructive commenters, you guys made this thread a big part of my (and thousand others) daily life.

so, on with business bay, downtown burj? dubai, difc and all the other marvels

Last edited by Spandex; January 5th, 2010 at 05:47 AM. Reason: so many posts while writing, did not quote, up-arrows lost meaning
Spandex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #24145
cmoonflyer
Mainland Sea & Sky

Likes (Received): 73

Fireworks explode around Burj Dubai, the world's tallest tower, during the opening ceremony in Dubai January 4, 2010. Dubai opened the world's tallest structure on Monday, and a statement said it was 828 metres (2,717 ft) high. Dubai's ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum renamed the tower Burj Khalifa after the president of the United Arab Emirates and the ruler of the neighboring emirate of Abu Dhabi

We looked at mountains until dawn, and then when dawn came, it was too pretty for me - there was pink and blue and gold, in the sky, and on icy places, brilliant pink and gold flashes, and the snow was colored too, and I said," Oh," and sighed; and each moment was more beautiful than the one before; and I said, " I love you, Momma." Then I fell asleep in her arms.
That was happiness then.

- Harold Brodkey
cmoonflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #24146
Francheska
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The People of Dubai love Sheikh Mohammed : http://www.dubaichronicle.com/news/t...mohammed-19012
Francheska no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #24147
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

No way to keep up with this thread!

With regards the name change, it was made VERY late in the day. I posted pics a few weeks ago of the wall outside the Armani hotel where they'd just completed putting up the name "Burj Dubai". Within a week (or two - I need to go back and check), that lettering had been removed, and new holes were being drilled to screw the new lettering into.

A couple of days ago, when walking round the tower, it was interesting to see that not only was the entire wall covered up with sheeting, but I could see through a gap in the sheeting that the lettering itself remained under wraps.

I'll check the dates when I get back from work today, but I can't see them going ahead with the Burj Dubai lettering if it had been decided by that stage to rename it.

Regardless, anyone with any sense will be getting down to the souvenir shop for when it opens up at 10am this morning and buying up stock of souvenirs branded Burj Dubai before they're taken off sale and destroyed - you can expect to see them on souq/dubizzle/ebay at vastly inflated prices in the coming days.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #24148
Spandex

and just to add a bit on that mister Vengineer and the other dude saying " we know all that"

do you thank NASA for the moon landing or do you systematically state all the engineers everytime you answere who landed on the moon??

do you mention all the names of the poor workers (who probably even had it worse) of the Eiffel tower or do you simply say eiffel like the rest of us?

The great wall of China or the great wall of Hiung, Ang Lee, Mung Chao, Miki Chen, Along Cao etc (you get my meaning I guess)

damn, that post really got me pissed on this great day, I know I shouldnt even being wasting my time but ARRRGGGG

sorry to the others
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #24149
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

[IMG]http://i50.************/28k5a2a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i49.************/kesnjt.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/1o4rxs.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i49.************/358w405.jpg[/IMG]
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....ke-excess.html
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:17 AM   #24150
blackhawk08

Likes (Received): 0

Can anyone please post some high res pics of the fireworks? It would be awesome
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #24151
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 2002

The first time in history I'm sure where fireworks were released from a skyscraper higher than they actually were designed to go
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #24152
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Photos from the top of the Burj Khalifa (aka Burj Dubai ) , 828 m

[IMG]http://i46.************/xemzwp.jpg[/IMG]

more here:

http://imresolt.blogspot.com/2010/01...fa-at-828.html
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #24153
Vengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spandex View Post
and just to add a bit on that mister Vengineer and the other dude saying " we know all that"

do you thank NASA for the moon landing or do you systematically state all the engineers everytime you answere who landed on the moon??

do you mention all the names of the poor workers (who probably even had it worse) of the Eiffel tower or do you simply say eiffel like the rest of us?

The great wall of China or the great wall of Hiung, Ang Lee, Mung Chao, Miki Chen, Along Cao etc (you get my meaning I guess)

damn, that post really got me pissed on this great day, I know I shouldnt even being wasting my time but ARRRGGGG

sorry to the others

Don't let it get to you, it was nothing personal.

The moon landing was conducted by NASA and American engineers.

The Eiffel Tower was designed and built by the french.

The Great Wall was a Chinese accomplishment.

The Burj Dubai was was an accomplishment of the Americans, the Asians and the alien workers who had the know-how and the dedication to get the job done. The "Dubians" only accomplishment was sitting on oil and knowing how to make money selling it. Then lure the truly educated professionals of the world with $$$ to come build their monument of greatness and post their god-like faces on everything heralding the tower as THEIR accomplishment. Give me a break.

1776' (541m) - WTC Tower One
1350' (411m) - WTC Tower Two
1255' (382m) - WTC Tower Three
1250' (381m) - Empire State Building
1200' (366m) - One Bryant Park
1046' (319m) - Chrysler Building
1047' (319m) - NY Times Tower
1360' (414m) - Hudson Center North
1240' (378m) - Hudson Center South

Vengineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #24154
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Dude your really sounding like another poor American wankin that your country will never have the WTS ever again ... Sorry if I'm misinterpreting the situation ...

Lets remember that if we're going to go by the not yet official numbers from the inauguration then the Burj Khalifa is 830.0 meters high (height to tip). That is what the CTBUH has on their site. This probably won't change but I am awaiting official confirmation from them and hopefully some details also.

Hmmm - I guess I have to change my sig for the first time ...

Last edited by Fury; January 5th, 2010 at 06:53 AM.
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #24155
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spandex View Post

sorry to the others

I know ! Like this show i watch called "Magnificent homes" ... where basically owners , lets say for example a man and his wife decide to build their dream (500,000 pound) home on a cliff ... they cant say "Abra Cadabra" and Poof ! its their .... there must be alot of strategic planning , stress , money at stake , assigning the right people for the job m, over seeing the whole process .... etc and with the accumelated hard work of all people envolved the home is built and furnished .....

Now if you knew this couple or met them outside .... and knew this was their home ... would you stand there saying "you guys are worthless , you did not do a single thing , it was adam the carpenter , john the concrete man and natasha the interior designer that made it all happen ! HAH !

How would you come off to them as ?

yep you guess right a bitter jelous old fart.
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #24156
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinDubai View Post
no one wanted to show anyone anything, stop posting ridiculous comments. The name was changed by Shiekh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum as a sign of our gratitude to Abu Dhabi and to prove to those who refered to Dubai as " a country " that we are a city in a federation.

in other words giving the western media the Finger
I dont think so, its a case of acknowloging who has the power and money in our country and considering AD paid for this via the USD35 Billion they have given Dubai, its only right to acknowlage your benifactors. Soon we will all have Abu Dhabi number plates and be paying our FEWA water and electricty bill.
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #24157
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Lets remember that if we're going to go by the not yet official numbers from the inauguration then the Burj Khalifa is 830.0 meters high (height to tip). That is what the CTBUH has on their site. This probably won't change but I am awaiting official confirmation from them and hopefully some details also.

Hmmm - I guess I have to change my sig for the first time ...

This is the latest official news from the Emaar:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...ostcount=24141

I think better to wait few days before you change everything
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #24158
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

Pledge on this website if you still believe in Dubai

http://www.istillbelieveindubai.com/pledge.php
Dubaiiscool:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #24159
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

Now its Official....Skyscraper King is Burj Dubai

firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #24160
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengineer View Post
Don't let it get to you, it was nothing personal.

The moon landing was conducted by NASA and American engineers.

The Eiffel Tower was designed and built by the french.

The Great Wall was a Chinese accomplishment.

The Burj Dubai was was an accomplishment of the Americans, the Asians and the alien workers who had the know-how and the dedication to get the job done. The "Dubians" only accomplishment was sitting on oil and knowing how to make money selling it. Then lure the truly educated professionals of the world with $$$ to come build their monument of greatness and post their god-like faces on everything heralding the tower as THEIR accomplishment. Give me a break.

Well said...agree 100%...don't get me wrong though, it is a beautiful building, but props should be giving to everyone involved in the project, not just Dubians.
miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae