daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #24161
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2432

Oh look ! a bunch of yankee doodles spamming hate in a thread that happens to be of a tower that happens to be the new WTB and not located in their cities

HA HA

didnt see that coming.

Grow up kids. Your embarassing yourselves ...

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #24162
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
This is the latest official news from the Emaar:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...ostcount=24141

I think better to wait few days before you change everything
Hi Imre.

I will wait to change my sig and many folder names for sure.

As for the height I'm just saying the CTBUH has 830.0 on their site as the height to tip. They have 828.0 as the height to architectural top. They must have got the 2 meter difference from Emaar.

Needless to say before I make my final plan, etc. I will wait for an official announcement from the CTBUH.

Thanks to you and all the guys in Dubai for your coverage today and practically every day.

Old January 5th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #24163
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Dude your really sounding like another poor American wankin that your country will never have the WTS ever again ... Sorry if I'm misinterpreting the situation ...

Lets remember that if we're going to go by the not yet official numbers from the inauguration then the Burj Khalifa is 830.0 meters high (height to tip). That is what the CTBUH has on their site. This probably won't change but I am awaiting official confirmation from them and hopefully some details also.

Hmmm - I guess I have to change my sig for the first time ...

LOL......another american here, who really does not care if our country will never have the WTC ever again. Good for Dubai...congrats...and YES, you are misinterpreting the situation. Let's keep and eye on the Russians or the Chinese...watch they will come up with the tallest building...surpassing this one....so who cares....
miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #24164
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

touche

Old January 5th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #24165
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Boy View Post
Oh look ! a bunch of yankee doodles spamming hate in a thread that happens to be of a tower that happens to be the new WTB and not located in their cities

HA HA

didnt see that coming.

hahaha...watch Iran blow it up ....such a mess location...Middle East is such a mess....I am not hating you...there is nothing to hate....much love..

Last edited by miami305; January 5th, 2010 at 07:10 AM.
miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #24166
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

I will start warning and brigging people if this goes out of control
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #24167
skyphire
hot pinoy

Likes (Received): 115

I hope it will not become a target of the terrorists like what happened in the new york world trade center. Burj Dubai is my favorite skyscraper. i will give it 11/10 rating.
skyphire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #24168
BinDubai
بـــــ ـدبي ــــــــــن

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA BOY View Post
I dont think so, its a case of acknowloging who has the power and money in our country and considering AD paid for this via the USD35 Billion they have given Dubai, its only right to acknowlage your benifactors. Soon we will all have Abu Dhabi number plates and be paying our FEWA water and electricty bill.
don't think so ? since when did this matter became a " personal opinion matter ? " lol

well whether you like it or not the facts are the facts , Abu Dhabi and Dubai two cities in one country two blood related ruling families under one flag and one government.

The rest is just western " blah blah blah " uae is Broke but lets ask their sovereign funds to bail our debt sunken economies.

so keep your opinion to yourself. this doesn't concern you
This goes beyond your understanding

المناعير
BinDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #24169
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1047

Burj Dubai had such a nice ring to it, even if it just meant "Dubai Tower." Burj Khalifa just sounds bad. It doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely.

But that aside, I think it's a fantastic tower and glad to finally see it open!

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #24170
Vengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Boy View Post

HA HA

didnt see that coming.

But sir, wasn't it a bunch of those "yankee doodles" who designed and built it for you as the architect, structural engineer, MEP engineer and construction manager?

1776' (541m) - WTC Tower One
1350' (411m) - WTC Tower Two
1255' (382m) - WTC Tower Three
1250' (381m) - Empire State Building
1200' (366m) - One Bryant Park
1046' (319m) - Chrysler Building
1047' (319m) - NY Times Tower
1360' (414m) - Hudson Center North
1240' (378m) - Hudson Center South

Vengineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #24171
DXBQuantum

Location: From - London, Work - Dubai, Ski - Colorado, Fly - New Zealand

The show was fantastic, but the name change??? - that is a FAIL. no question about it.

seems very stupid to do that after everything around it has been branded e.t.c

fireworks and fountain together were just superb..

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
DXBQuantum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #24172
DXBQuantum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengineer View Post
But sir, wasn't it a bunch of those "yankee doodles" who designed and built it for you as the architects, structural engineer, MEP engineer and construction manager?
No most of that was Samsung and Arabtec,

SOM are Chicago so you can have that....

no need to be jealous...

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #24173
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
No way to keep up with this thread!

With regards the name change, it was made VERY late in the day. I posted pics a few weeks ago of the wall outside the Armani hotel where they'd just completed putting up the name "Burj Dubai". Within a week (or two - I need to go back and check), that lettering had been removed, and new holes were being drilled to screw the new lettering into.

A couple of days ago, when walking round the tower, it was interesting to see that not only was the entire wall covered up with sheeting, but I could see through a gap in the sheeting that the lettering itself remained under wraps.

I'll check the dates when I get back from work today, but I can't see them going ahead with the Burj Dubai lettering if it had been decided by that stage to rename it.

Regardless, anyone with any sense will be getting down to the souvenir shop for when it opens up at 10am this morning and buying up stock of souvenirs branded Burj Dubai before they're taken off sale and destroyed - you can expect to see them on souq/dubizzle/ebay at vastly inflated prices in the coming days.
Gerald, The lettering outside now says "Burj Khalifa", in fact, all Old Town address signs such as "Kamoon, Yansoon, Miska etc were also being changed as I arrived home from work at 3.00pm yesterday, and all English names having Arabic inserted above.

Yes, I thought about the things with BD on them, collectors items soon. I am going up to the OB deck today so will see what tyhe score is.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #24174
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czas na Żywiec View Post
Burj Dubai had such a nice ring to it, even if it just meant "Dubai Tower." Burj Khalifa just sounds bad. It doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely.

But that aside, I think it's a fantastic tower and glad to finally see it open!
It most certainly does not roll of the tongue Czas na Żywiec
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #24175
DXBQuantum

I will do observation deck either today or tomorrow during work, no way on the weekend!!

it should be ''less busy'' during work hours...

Leonardo da Vinci
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #24176
Bricken Ridge

Likes (Received): 15

So whats in a name people? BD, BK, even Burj Dubai Khalifa does not really matter.

Wonder how long will this building hold the record. Seems like the turnover has been really fast the past decade- as soon as a WT is completed, another one is on the rise or on the blueprint.
Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #24177
Rapid
Skybar Posts: 24,564

Likes (Received): 4

Congratulataions!
Rapid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #24178
DXBQuantum

Do you think people will be interested in buying now?

Leonardo da Vinci
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #24179
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengineer View Post
But sir, wasn't it a bunch of those "yankee doodles" who designed and built it for you as the architect, structural engineer, MEP engineer and construction manager?
Absaloutely not They were professionals with actual talent and brains that came from the states and provided the world with a master piece .... and it would not of happened if all the parties involved did not work their asses off

your the old fart jelous to the bone yankee doodle i was referring to accomplish something in your life mister , for a change , and you might stop hating. People who have self confidence and accomplishment on their side tend to NOT brag and put others down for kicks ... basic 101 life lesson there son
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #24180
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami305 View Post
hahaha...watch Iran blow it up ....such a mess location...Middle East is such a mess....I am not hating you...there is nothing to hate....much love..
This is the crowd your attracting Vengineer

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae