daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 6th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #24381
whoami

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
^ yup it's mechanical floors. the cladding type there is different. "glass louvers"

this infill method was adopted for the burj dubai (soon to be called burj abu dhabi haha as it will be owned by abu dhabi soon.) ...
almost a year ago i posted this in ICC thread . darn i missed the reNAME!!! but i think close enough as KHALIFA is the ruler of abu dhabi.
whoami no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #24382
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Brave window cleaners take on the challenge of the world's tallest skyscraper, Dubai's Burj Khalifa

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 1:58 AM on 06th January 2010

Cleaning the windows of skyscrapers can be a daunting process.

But never more so than for the company who landed the epic task of cleaning the windows of the world's tallest skyscraper in Dubai, the Burj Khalifa.

Towering at 2,717ft and with 1,292,500 sq ft of glass, the £1billion Burj is an imposing building, and one designers were determined would be sparkling clean in time for yesterday's extravagant opening ceremony.

[IMG]http://i48.************/28kq6w1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i47.************/2f0fxnq.jpg[/IMG]
Dizzying heights: Cleaners in a telescopic boom unit can be seen ensuring the world's tallest skyscraper is gleaming in time for yesterday's extravagant opening ceremony

Dale Harding, the general manager of cleaning company Cox Gomyl, said the firm installed £5 million of hi-tech equipment, including unique window-cleaning carousels which they designed, to ensure the Burj was constantly clean.

Twelve machines weighing 13 tons carry up to 36 cleaners, who use ordinary soapy water to wash down the Burj's 24,830 reflective windows in a process that takes three months from top to bottom.

The cleaners stand on the specially designed machines, which emerge from cavities in the skyscraper and track along rails skirting its curved towers.

[IMG]http://i45.************/29ql9cj.jpg[/IMG]
Towering: The impressive Burj Khalifa stands at 2,717ft and is officially the world's tallest building

Mr Harding said the company, based in Melbourne, Australia, had been working overtime to get the Burj gleaming for Monday's extravagant opening ceremony.

He said: 'It's an enormous challenge. The architects had some fairly high expectations.

'It's an iconic building with high exposure. They wanted it as clean as possible, particularly for the opening. There have been some fairly tight deadlines over the past few months.

'It's an incredible construction. People are focusing on the height of the building but the sheer size of it, the footprint, is huge. It's really 10-15 conventional buildings.'

[IMG]http://i47.************/2v2t6ab.jpg[/IMG]
Ingenious: The specially designed units emerge from cavities in the skyscraper and track along rails around the towers

[IMG]http://i46.************/24njgwx.jpg[/IMG]
Fearless: Mick Flaherty, fitted lights to the tip of the 2,716ft Burj Dubai building

And in a spectacular blunder just months before the opening ceremony, which was attended by over 6,000 people, Samsung Besix Arabtec Joint Venture, which built the Burj, were forced to rush in Mick Flaherty after they realised they had forgotten to fit lights to the tip.

The 35-year-old, originally from Tyne and Wear, and his company Total Solutions Middle East, worked on the pre-fabricated spire of the building for more than a month before it was officially unveiled to the world.

His daily commute to work involved him taking five lifts to the 160th floor, climbing through a further seven tiers on vertical ladders, then squeezing into the 6ft wide spire and out of a hatch.

Mr Flaherty said: 'I felt like I could see the whole world. It was absolutely breathtaking.

'As you climb up the ladders you open this little door and all you see is blue sky. The sun feels amazingly close. It just leaves you speechless.

'I've been going abseiling for over nine years but even I was twitching with fear the first time I climbed out. It's the pinnacle of my career. Nothing will ever come close to doing that again.'

[IMG]http://i48.************/66yiv9.jpg[/IMG]
Celebration: Fireworks explode around the Burj Dubai during Monday's opening ceremony

The work, which took more than month from the start of last August, was so gruelling that the team involved nicknamed themselves the 'Men Of Steel'.

Mick said: 'We would abseil about 200ft down. As the building swayed about you were just left bouncing around on all your ropes.

'It was totally exhausting because you were up and down ladders all day.

'There was a platform inside where you could eat your lunch but you were a long way from your nearest toilet or water supply.'

The job is now set to enter the Guinness Book of Records as the highest rope access work ever completed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...j-Khalifa.html

Check out the guy on the spire!
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #24383
dubaifan8

Likes (Received): 0

can someone tell me the correct pronunciation of khalifa, dont want to be saying it the wrond way. thanks
dubaifan8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #24384
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

So many posts and pics these past few days - great but takes a while to go through.

Not sure who posted about the height ...

I feel the height discrepancy is a bigger issue than the name change but I've always been a numbers guy. I understand how some feel about the name but I will change all my stuff over maybe this weekend.

The 828 is 4 meters higher than the 824 that I thought it was going to be. Both are height to architectural top. The level below the concourse is 4.0 meters but I can't see how they can include it.

The 830 is 5.4 meters higher than the 824.6 that I thought it was going to be. Both are height to tip.

The 2.0 meter difference between the arch. top and tip can be reasoned out fairly easily. Even when the now defunct top platform was to be added the floor was to be at tier 30 top elevation and now it still is with the current config. So instead of the beacons adding 0.6 - the "railing" and beacons add 2.0.

Still no official confirmation on the CTBUH site - it will probably take a week or 2 - frick ... I have a sneaking suspicion 828 will turn out to be 824 with 826 as the height to tip. I hope not - 830 sounds better.

They better give out some details if they aren't including level B1 as to where the extra 4 meters came from !!! I have a final version of my BK (BD) plan to make and I want all the numbers to be accurate !
If they leave me (us) in the dark as to the details I will be right choked !!!
After all these years of having some plans to go by to be left hanging over the 4 extra meters will be intolerable ...

It may even lead to ....

- not quite but as some of you may have guessed - I am a little passionate about the level and tier heights and my Burj Khalifa Plan.

Last edited by Fury; January 6th, 2010 at 06:43 AM.
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #24385
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Boon Edam installs the highest revolving doors in the world

[IMG]http://i47.************/73jyuc.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i49.************/n5q6ut.jpg[/IMG]

At 828m in height, the iconic Burj Khalifa (formally known as the Burj Dubai) has broken many world records since its completion, including, the installation of the highest revolving doors in the world.

Boon Edam UAE distributor, Mace Trading LLC, has installed six revolving doors on this record breaking iconic building, two of which are situated on the 124th floor, leading out to the viewing gallery. At this level, our transparent bespoke Crystal Tourniket revolving doors fit perfectly into the façade, allowing spectators to observe the spectacular view over Dubai. At a height of 442m, this revolving door has been specially engineered to withstand extreme weather conditions and high wind loading.

Boon Edam has a proud heritage of producing energy efficient products. Acknowledged as the world market leader in Revolving Doors, for over 100 years, our revolving doors have been helping conserving energy by reducing building energy loss and preventing draughts.

http://burjdubaiphotos.blogspot.com/...revolving.html
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #24386
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post

Not sure who posted about the height ...
This was the official news from the Emaar :

The world's tallest tower, 'Burj Khalifa' is 828 metres (2,716.5 ft) high

Dubai, UAE; January 4, 2010: The world's tallest tower, developed by Emaar Properties, was unveiled tonight to a crowd of thousands and the world in a crescendo of fireworks, lasers and fountain displays.

The official height of the tower, unveiled as 'Burj Khalifa', was announced as 828 metres (2,716.5 ft).

A closely guarded secret, the official height of Burj Khalifa was flashed onto a giant screen before an estimated crowd of more than 400,000, as lasers and fireworks lit up the night sky.

http://imresolt.blogspot.com/2010/01...halifa-is.html

and displaying the new name and the final height (04/01/2010 , 20:23 ):

[IMG]http://i48.************/2e2gjkl.jpg[/IMG]

http://imresolt.blogspot.com/2010/01...-new-name.html

Last edited by Imre; January 6th, 2010 at 07:31 AM.
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #24387
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52284

image hosted on flickr

by Henzelle

image hosted on flickr

by handjani

Elevator lobby

image hosted on flickr

by handjani

Inside Elevator (I think it's Otis)

image hosted on flickr

by handjani

image hosted on flickr

by handjani

image hosted on flickr

by handjani

image hosted on flickr

by handjani

image hosted on flickr

by handjani

image hosted on flickr

by handjani
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #24388
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

i cant wait until the day i can stand at that observation deck and look out over the beautiful city of dubai
WiGgLz01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #24389
nam_cam
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Very beautiful, Congratulation!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5le5...eature=related
nam_cam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #24390
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

[IMG]http://i49.************/dnn612.jpg[/IMG]
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #24391
234sale

[IMG]http://i45.************/20hm5o3.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #24392
234sale

[IMG]http://i50.************/10fpfep.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #24393
234sale

[IMG]http://i47.************/2u5tnih.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #24394
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

TRA secures .ae website for Burj Khalifa

The UAE's telecoms regulator has reserved the domain name www.burjkhalifa.ae for use to promote the world's tallest building online after reports that the .com version had already been snapped up by a domain name squatter.

The official website for the tower was initially launched last week under its previous name - www.burjdubai.com - but officials have said they now have an alternative.

Mohammed Gheyath, executive director of the Technology Development Affairs at the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority, confirmed that the domain name burjkhalifa.ae had been secured but did not say when it would be put live.
The website was not operational on Wednesday morning when Arabian Business tried to log on to it while the original burjdubai.com address was still live.

Gheyath said in comments published by news agency WAM that reserving the domain name "came to protect the rights of the authorised entity entitled to this domain, protect the intellectual property rights, and safeguard the domain from cybersquatters".

He said the move by TRA to secure a .ae domain name was aimed at encouraging the use of the .ae domain name space.

In October, the TRA said it was targeting new UAE businesses in the second phase of its campaign to increase the number of .ae websites.

The main objective of the campaign is to target new businesses that have yet to register a domain name and also existing organisations who have not registered for a .ae domain name, the TRA said.

Up to August 2009, the number of new registrations increased by 30 percent up to 90,000 .ae websites registered, compared to about 80 million .com websites.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com%2F577...r-burj-khalifa
Dubaiiscool:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #24395
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52284

Burj Khalifa: A tower that already makes history

Visitors to the Burj Khalifa opening hunt for souvenirs in the newly opened shop. Image Credit: Silvia Baron T./ANM

Dubai: An awestruck audience watched as the tallest tower in the world lit up with fireworks at the launch ceremony of the Burj Khalifa.

Thousands of attendees held their hands to their mouths as the fireworks crackling above lit up Dubai's sky, and gasped every time a dramatic stunt was performed.

Many could be seen holding the backs of their necks after looking straight up continuously for half an hour.

Approximately 6,000 invitees to the ceremony watched the launch event below the tower and on massive screens erected specifically for them.

Families and individuals, young and old gathered at the Burj Khalifa Island park, sitting on beanbags and enjoying a meal before the ceremonies started. While some arrived in suits and dresses other were seen lazing in shorts.

The latest addition to Dubai's skyline served as a backdrop for souvenir pictures for the sea of people who were watching from the park and from Dubai Mall.

The event started with the arrival of Shaikh Mohammad bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, accompanied by Shaikh Abdullah bin Zayed, Foreign Minister, and other Cabinet members and dignitaries.

People quickly scrambled to their seats upon seeing the shaikhs on the giant screen in anticipation of the event.

Following Shaikh Mohammad's arrival, heads turned to the sky as eight skydivers with parachutes in the colours of the UAE flag came down holding pictures of Shaikh Mohammad and Shaikh Khalifa.

Emiratis and expatriates could be seen wearing scarves in the colours of the UAE flag adorned with pictures of Shaikh Mohammad and Shaikh Khalifa, and some had huge stickers of Shaikh Mohammad on their shirts.

A boy of about six years walked up to a security guard and asked in a Levantine accent if he could meet Shaikh Mohammad as he had never shaken hands with him.

Shaikh Mohammad was sitting close to the audience, in the front row of the seating arrangement before the Dubai Fountain and the giant screen that was set up for the audience to watch the promotional videos and celebrations on.

An attendee, Ramia Al Agamy from Switzeland, said the event was one of "the most memorable" in her life. "I don't think I'll ever forget what I saw here. I can't believe they put they entire world in a tower. You feel very small when you see it but the show certainly elevated us to the heights of this tower."

Humaid M, an Emirati attending the event said: "This isn't just going to make UAE history, but world history."
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #24396
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Change to "I was Burj Dubai"

image hosted on flickr
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #24397
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4979

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaifan8 View Post
can someone tell me the correct pronunciation of khalifa, dont want to be saying it the wrond way. thanks
khuh-lee-fuh

KH = CH in German, as in ICH. If you can't pronounce it, just make the K sound, which is good enough.
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #24398
Libidito
El inmortal Pedrito

Likes (Received): 1729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisian Girl View Post
Sorry, but this is the original and only size I have. You could always just try blowing it up, but I think the quality of this particular photo will diminish though.
Yeah, If I did that, I would lose the quality
Dont worry I found another stunning photo.

Frase de Cesar Acuña
Libidito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #24399
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2468

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
khuh-lee-fuh

KH = CH in German, as in ICH. If you can't pronounce it, just make the K sound, which is good enough.
ermm dunno ... sounds like a mouth full of falafel

ofcourse since its an Arabic name the absaloute correct pronounciation wont be easy on a westerners tongue .... but saying it like this would be acceptable Ka Lee Fa

KA( easy enough!) Lee (Bruce lee) Fa (the deodrant? )
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #24400
Tractor

Likes (Received): 0

Embedded as requested:

Last edited by Tractor; January 6th, 2010 at 09:57 AM.
Tractor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae