daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #24421
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Brilliant.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #24422
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

You could to do it better for sure,,, but 5minutes in paint was all khalifa tower deserves..
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #24423
DXBQuantum

Location: From - London, Work - Dubai, Ski - Colorado, Fly - New Zealand
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
Thx, comparing the sq/ft quoted for a BK property with towers such as The Mansions, Standpoint etc, there must be a bundle of investors suffering financially that purchased off plan at a price considerably more than what the BK current price is?

Ie, Standpoint, was the off plan price facing away from the BK out to the Gulf not in excess of AED 5k and more per sq.ft?
Big time suffering! - all the O.Ps were on the back of the BK launch e.t.c - the good thing is that Emaar still own a lot of ready property which you could of been swapped with Emaar Credit, which a lot of people did..

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
DXBQuantum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #24424
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

appears to be the NEW Cape Canaveral of the Middle East.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #24425
London21

Likes (Received): 42

I hope the names like Downtown Burj Dubai and The Address Downtown Burj Dubai still stand? Would mess it up reallllyyy big time if they change those names

- 234 I equally share your dissapointment on the name change:-((((
London21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #24426
DXBQuantum

Lol,

Im still holding out for

''Khalifa Downtown Area''
''The Nayan, Khalifa Downtown Area''
''The Ethiad Mall''
''Mall of Etihad''

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #24427
kitayabi

Likes (Received): 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
Boon Edam installs the highest revolving doors in the world

[IMG]http://i47.************/73jyuc.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i49.************/n5q6ut.jpg[/IMG]

At 828m in height, the iconic Burj Khalifa (formally known as the Burj Dubai) has broken many world records since its completion, including, the installation of the highest revolving doors in the world.

Boon Edam UAE distributor, Mace Trading LLC, has installed six revolving doors on this record breaking iconic building, two of which are situated on the 124th floor, leading out to the viewing gallery. At this level, our transparent bespoke Crystal Tourniket revolving doors fit perfectly into the façade, allowing spectators to observe the spectacular view over Dubai. At a height of 442m, this revolving door has been specially engineered to withstand extreme weather conditions and high wind loading.

http://burjdubaiphotos.blogspot.com/...revolving.html
Your going to get a lot of silly World Records, next some company will be celebrating installing the Worlds highest door nob
kitayabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #24428
DXBQuantum

why not milk it, if i was a company i would full page on website

WORLDS TALLEST LIGHT FIXTURE!

Leonardo da Vinci
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #24429
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Fazza Sky Team sets new world record for highest BASE jump from Burj Khalifa

[IMG]http://i49.************/jj7kmg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/2eaqvlf.jpg[/IMG]

Dubai, UAE; January 6, 2010: UAE national Nasser Al Neyadi, representing Fazza Sky Team, set a new world record for the highest BASE jump executed from a building by sailing down safely on a parachute from Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building developed by Emaar Properties. He was accompanied by Omar Alhegelan, his BASE and skydiving trainer.

Nasser Al Neyadi and Omar Alhegelan, expert sky divers and BASE jump enthusiasts, made a perfect landing after covering a vertical descent of 672 metres (2,205 ft).

BASE jumping, an extreme sports activity, refers to the four categories of fixed objects from which one executes the jump – buildings, antennas, bridges or spans and cliffs or earth. The two base jumpers covered the distance in a breathtaking 10 second delay and 30-40 second parachute flight.

They set a new world record by jumping from the highest point of a man-made structure; the Burj Khalifa, and smoothly landed at Burj Park Island, with the parachutes fanning out 10 to 12 seconds after their adventurous jump.

Nasser is the Accuracy Sky Diving UAE national champion of 2007, and has undertaken more than 2,700 sky dives. Along with Omar; the Fazza Sky Team members made the first ever Mt. Everest Skydives jumping from 29,500 ft - another World Record Jump!

Omar started BASE jumping in 1997 and has previously jumped from Petronas Towers in KL, Malaysia, during the trans-millennium New Year’s celebrations, where over 300,000 spectators watched him along with another 14 BASE jumpers make another World Record. He also has to his credit over 15,000 sky dives and multiple World and US National Titles in Freestyle & Freefly Skydiving.

Mr Ahmad Al Matrooshi, Managing Director – UAE, Emaar Properties, said that BASE jump undertaken by the UAE national is another human achievement that complements Burj Khalifa’s accomplished track-record of pushing frontiers.

At 828 metres (2,716.5 ft), Burj Khalifa is the tallest building in the world according to the three main criteria of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH). The CTBUH ranks the world’s tallest buildings based on ‘Height to Architectural Top,’ ‘Height to Highest Occupied Floor’ and ‘Height to Tip.’

original pics and text here:

http://imresolt.blogspot.com/2010/01...ld-record.html
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #24430
jackso

Likes (Received): 2304

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
We're in the process of opening up City Center, coincidently our very own Dubai World project, and we couldn't have opened up at a more lousy time in Las Vegas economic history.
Still, I'm surprised at the 1.5 Billion dollar pricetag of "The Burj"- as I call it.
City Center is 18 Million square feet and cost us 8.5 Billion or something like that.
How did you guys get such a good deal on such an iconic undertaking, The Burj?
In Dubai of all places?
I imagine labour in Dubai is much cheaper than in the US.
jackso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #24431
_BPS_
678 999 8212

Likes (Received): 2561

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234sale View Post
Do they call him by his name or by the title of Khalifa? Khalifa is not a name, its a title.
_BPS_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #24432
234sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackso View Post
I imagine labour in Dubai is much cheaper than in the US.
Illegal labour is cheaper in the US...
Every worker has rights here now...
If you want to leave you get a free air ticket home...
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #24433
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

My wife has a birthday coming up. She loves trying new places and has been badgering me for some time to take her up the Khalifa. However I have no prior experience and was wondering if anyone else had tried it yet.

One of my mates has told me that he took his wife up the Khalifa yesterday evening, but space up there can be a bit tight at times and therefore not very comfortable (apparently she’s been taken up there a few times).

Not really sure what to do now, and if truth be told, I'm a little disappointed because I'm told the view is amazing.

Anyone else taken their wife or girlfriend up the Khalifa yet? Reckon it's worth the discomfort?
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #24434
_Mort_
BANNED

It is vodka ?
[IMG]http://i45.************/2i7tijd.jpg[/IMG]
_Mort_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #24435
234sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
My wife has a birthday coming up. She loves trying new places and has been badgering me for some time to take her up the Khalifa. However I have no prior experience and was wondering if anyone else had tried it yet.

One of my mates has told me that he took his wife up the Khalifa yesterday evening, but space up there can be a bit tight at times and therefore not very comfortable (apparently she’s been taken up there a few times).

Not really sure what to do now, and if truth be told, I'm a little disappointed because I'm told the view is amazing.

Anyone else taken their wife or girlfriend up the Khalifa yet? Reckon it's worth the discomfort?
I haven't done it yet but want to do it at the weekend. They only have one operational shaft I hear, so get up there may take some time. Maybe we could meet up and do it together..
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #24436
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Burj Khalifa :At the Top opens to overwhelming public response

Tickets are priced AED 100 per adult and AED 75 per child

[IMG]http://i49.************/23mjvae.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/975lcw.jpg[/IMG]

Dubai, UAE; January 6, 2010: At the Top, the world’s highest outdoor observation deck located in Burj Khalifa, has opened to an overwhelming public response.

Hundreds of people, mostly families, queued up for tickets to Level 124 of Burj Khalifa – and the chance of being among the first to experience its stunning views across the city.

At the Top opened to the public following the dramatic inauguration of Burj Khalifa on January 4. An estimated crowd of 400,000 gasped in amazement as fireworks erupted and searchlights beamed from every platform of the tower.

Mr. Thomas Dempsey, General Manager, Burj Khalifa, said At the Top would more than live up to people’s expectations.

“The panoramic views are like those from an airplane, such is your height above ground. There is also plenty to take in before you step into the elevators to the 124th floor: interactive displays, montages describing the evolution of the tower, and in-depth information explaining the people and technology responsible for this incredible building.”

Tickets for the tour are time stamped at 30-minute intervals, on specific days, in order to carefully manage the daily rush of sightseers.

The introductory time-stamped ticket price is AED 100 for adults, AED 75 for children up to 12 years and free for children under 3 years. For those who simply cannot wait, immediate entry is AED 400 per person, subject to availability.

The entrance to the At the Top experience is at The Dubai Mall’s Lower Ground level. The reception area of the attraction features a large illuminated model of Burj Khalifa that introduces and familiarizes visitors with the various sections within the super-tall building.

Multimedia displays ‘Dubai Then and Now’, ‘From Earth to the Sky’ and ‘From Vision to Reality’ narrate the evolution of Dubai and Burj Khalifa.

The ascent to the 124th floor is by a double-deck elevator, each deck carrying up to 14 people and travelling at an amazing 10 metres per second.

In less than a minute, the elevator reaches the observation deck, the world’s only public observatory at this height with an outdoor terrace. High windows circle the entire viewing platform, and, for AED 10, visitors can scan the horizon and the distant streets below through computerised viewfinders, which also have pre-programmed day and nighttime vistas of the city and surrounding region. Visitors can also buy official merchandise from the At the Top retail boutique.

Original pics and text:

http://burjdubaiphotos.blogspot.com/...-opens-to.html
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #24437
kimlong
Bean

Likes (Received): 13

how much money to pay fireworks of Budj Dubai?
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #24438
tadam

Likes (Received): 0

Does anybody know where I can find HD footage of the opening ceremony from the official TV broadcast?
I can only find amateur HD videos on YouTube but I would really love to see the whole event, including the helicopter shots in HD.
tadam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #24439
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5833

Highest "outdoor" observation deck, does this imply there is a higher indoor observation deck? Is it in the new Shanghai tower?
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #24440
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

I think so.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae