daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #24521
BennyYarnell
Drool...

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrk View Post
What i wonder is why i haven't seen any quality timelapses with the whole construction progress. I expected to see dozens, but i haven't seen a single one. By timelapse i mean a high quality video from the same angle/position with a constant photographing interval of at least 10-15 shots a day(so you can pick out cloudy, foggy pics and get constant lighting, and still get a smooth construction progress).
If i was the company that build the Burj Dubai i would have arranged for several angles, and with this many fans i thought some would do some of their own.
Something like this:

Please correct me if i'm wrong
What are the chances? I post one reply on this thread after being silent for months (though checking this thread daily, I'm an addict like most of you), and within minutes of my post, someone randomly posts a time-lapse of a building that is a few blocks from my apartment in my uneventful, boring city! And I was offered a special on purchasing one of the units in the Spire!

On a side note, the Spire does not have a spire. Everyone in Denver is a bit confused by that, but I guess that's what happens when you let a couple of nightclub owners under 30 build and name a skyscraper...

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #24522
HigerBigger

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
....................and here live today on skyscrapercity banner....MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!! : )
But today is Christmas in Ethiopia (and the year is 2003 I Think). They use a different calendar!
HigerBigger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #24523
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

I got by email:

[IMG]http://i46.************/1zy7fcl.jpg[/IMG]
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #24524
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #24525
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Priceless!
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #24526
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

I hope Abu Dhabi builds a building and names it after Sheikh Mohammed! I think it was useless renaming a landmark in Dubai after the ruler of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Khalifa. Why? Because Sheikh Khalifa has to be mental to let Dubai go down. If Dubai goes down the tourism for the country goes down with it, not to mention they are one country and if roles were reversed I am sure Dubai would bail out Abu Dhabi.

California was bailed out by Washington DC even though they still have debt that is many times the size and scope of Dubai's... I havent seen California rename Beverly Hills into Washington Hills. So this move was a total disaster. Sheikh Khalifa probably doesnt even care what the building is called as long as it produces revenue from tourists.

I have watched this buidling grow since day one and it will always be Burj Dubai. It is one country and whatever happens to one Emirate happens to the others.

Some people are saying that Khalifa now has a chance to take more control of the country.... to those who say that I say you have no idea about UAE politics. The president/sheikh Khalifa has the power to do whatever he wants with or without Dubai;s concent. Yes Dubai has veto power but renaming a building doesnt mean Khalifa would have more control. And on top of all of this they are cousins.

Dubai has a landmark that to all of us who watched it rise and/or shed blood, sweat and tears to cover its contruction will be known as Burj Dubai and Khalifa can stop acting like he doesn't care, because without Dubai, UAE would be another uknown country with a lot of oil. Yes Abu Dhabi is rich and in a country the oil revenue is shared. At least I hope it's this way now after the passing of a great leader Sheikh Zayed, may he rest in peace.

Burj Dubai is complete!

Last edited by Guest89; January 7th, 2010 at 04:23 PM.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #24527
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post

I hope Abu Dhabi builds a building and names it after Sheikh Mohammed! I think it was useless renaming a landmark in Dubai after the ruler of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Khalifa. Why? Because Sheikh Khalifa has to be mental to let Dubai go down. If Dubai goes down the tourism for the country goes down with it, not to mention they are one country and if roles were reversed I am sure Dubai would bail out Abu Dhabi.

California was bailed out by Washington DC even though they still have debt that is many times the size and scope of Dubai's... I havent seen California rename Beverly Hills into Washington Hills. So this move was a total disaster. Sheikh Khalifa probably doesnt even care what the building is called as long as it produces revenue from tourists.

I have watched this buidling grow since day one and it will always be Burj Dubai. It is one country and whatever happens to one Emirate happens to the others.

Some people are saying that Khalifa now has a chance to take more control of the country.... to those who say that I say you have no idea about UAE politics. The president/sheikh Khalifa has the power to do whatever he wants with or without Dubai;s concent. Yes Dubai has veto power but renaming a building doesnt mean Khalifa would have more control. And on top of all of this they are cousins.

Dubai has a landmark that to all of us who watched it rise and/or shed blood, sweat and tears to cover its contruction will be known as Burj Dubai and Khalifa can stop acting like he doesn't care, because without Dubai, UAE would be another uknown country with a lot of oil. Yes Abu Dhabi is rich and in a country the oil revenue is shared. At least I hope it's this way now after the passing of a great leader Sheikh Zayed, may he rest in peace.

Burj Dubai is complete!
In short, there is still a culture in UAE or Arab World that needs to be fix. Or, I guess Monarchy is still a big influence. Whatever the case, they should not change the name at all.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #24528
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

It's not much the name change per se ... rather the significance of that action in it's entirely. If they would have changed to Burj Zayed we wouldn't be complaining much.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #24529
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

It would have been much better to be called Burj Zayed than burj Khalifa. At least Sheikh Zayed shared the natural resources and wasn't playing political games with other emirates.

In addition it would have been awesome because the Burj Zayed would have been on Sheikh Zayed Road. lol

Nevertheless if it's not Burj Zayed, it is Burj Dubai. Burj Khalifa is just a name tag like Willis Tower is on the Sears Tower. Everybody knows its Sears not Willis!

Last edited by Guest89; January 7th, 2010 at 05:38 PM.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #24530
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

My last Burj Dubai and first Burj Khalifa photos

Burj Dubai ( 04/January/2010 , 20:40 UAE time in my Canon camera )

[IMG]http://i47.************/1zme1cg.jpg[/IMG]

Burj Khalifa (04/January/2010 , 20:41 UAE time in my Canon camera )

[IMG]http://i45.************/30iul9c.jpg[/IMG]
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #24531
roro987
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

nice!"!!!!
roro987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #24532
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Beautiful
WiGgLz01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #24533
Emarati2009

Likes (Received): 3478

cooool
Emarati2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #24534
datoriprogram

Likes (Received): 426

Awesome building and awesome fireworks.

But somehow I kinda feel a little bored with it already. It feels like it has been open for half a year almost. I'm more excited to see how it lookes like when there's some lights and people in there.
datoriprogram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #24535
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
I got by email:

[IMG]http://i46.************/1zy7fcl.jpg[/IMG]
Burj Dubai/Khalifa is really Priceless

One more (with fireworks at grand opening):
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markmccarthy/4251824196/
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #24536
metros11

Likes (Received): 5

I'm astounded by the fact that this building only cost $1.5 billion. If something like this were to ever rise in New York City it would easily be 10 times that cost. But that will never happen. I don't think we'll ever see another structure in our lifetime that will rival Burj Khalifa.
metros11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #24537
Lrk

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
I'm astounded by the fact that this building only cost $1.5 billion. If something like this were to ever rise in New York City it would easily be 10 times that cost. But that will never happen. I don't think we'll ever see another structure in our lifetime that will rival Burj Khalifa.
Well metros donnou how old you are but i'm 24 think i will get to see a higher one.
Labor is cheaper in Dubai + i'm pretty sure the taxes are low/inexistent
Lrk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #24538
Donkeykong

Likes (Received): 0

Why the name is changed?
Sorry for ignorance.
Donkeykong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #24539
migöl

Likes (Received): 889

i haven´t seen any pictures of the intererior yet....
migöl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #24540
metros11

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrk View Post
Well metros donnou how old you are but i'm 24 think i will get to see a higher one.
Labor is cheaper in Dubai + i'm pretty sure the taxes are low/inexistent
Lrk,

I realize the reasons for the cost. As far as seeing another building this tall... I don't know, maybe if Saudi Arabia builds one. Still, in the next 50 years I don't think it will happen.
metros11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae