daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #24541
metros11

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeykong View Post
Why the name is changed?
Sorry for ignorance.
Which version do you want to hear?
metros11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #24542
Donkeykong

Likes (Received): 0

Real version.

Last edited by Donkeykong; January 7th, 2010 at 09:24 PM.
Donkeykong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #24543
Lrk

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
Lrk,

I realize the reasons for the cost. As far as seeing another building this tall... I don't know, maybe if Saudi Arabia builds one. Still, in the next 50 years I don't think it will happen.
Sorry, i misunderstood your post and thought you were wondering how come it was so cheap compared to the US. My bad.
Wait a few months, year, year and a half and then we'll see if the tower was profitable and if there's room for more. If yes, more will come.
Lrk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #24544
Lrk

Likes (Received): 10

And lets not forget China, who could easily spend a few billion and get 30-40k manpower just to show us their strength.
Lrk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #24545
Moon Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
I got an email from a South American newspaper , they asked pics of these areas:

143rd floor - disco
158th floor - mosque

I have never heard about of this , any info?
Hi Imre.

This article in Arabic says that some people from Dubai prayed in the highest
mosque in the world "floor 154" breaking the one in Saudi Arabia at floor 77.

Quote:
أدى سكان من دبي الصلاة في أعلى مسجد في العالم، الثلاثاء 5-1-2010، في الطابق 154، فيما سجل أول رضيع سعودي اسمه كأول الصاعدين لقمة "برج خليفة".

والمسجد أقيم في الطابق رقم 154 في "برج خليفة" الذي دشنته دبي الاثنين، واصبح أعلى ناطحة سحاب على وجه الأرض، بارتفاع 828 مترا.

وقال توماس ديمبسي مدير "برج خليفة" لـ"العربية.نت" ان المسجد استقبل اليوم موظفين من العاملين في البرج،
وخلال الشهر المقبل سوف يستقبل بعض الزوار وعملاء الشركات والمكاتب الادارية الموجودة في المبنى.

وذكر ان المسجد يقع في طابق يقترب من قمة البرج، وتحديدا قبل نهايته بستة طوابق، لذلك يرتفع الاذان فوق السحب.

وبهذا العلو تفوق مسجد دبي على مسجد برج المملكة الذي يقع في الطابق 77 من البرج على ارتفاع 180 متراً

Source: http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2010/01/05/96436.html
Moon Shadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #24546
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

I don't know why they say 1.billion ... maybe the main package + cladding costs that much, cause the figure we have heard a number of times is 4 Billion and putting together everything, all the awarded contracts for allot of different things, they'd add up to around that figure ($4B)
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #24547
Intamin
I have anacrophobia.

Likes (Received): 6

Perhaps it's a bit late coming, but did anyone also notice the duplicated fountain jets? Haha...it was copied like three times--at least. This photo has really been doctored.

[img]http://i48.************/snz129.jpg[/img]
Intamin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #24548
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

Dubai Fountain is my favorate addition to the Tower. What I'm still missing is a picture of the fountain spraying to the maximum, as it's written e.g. on Imre's Dubai Construction Update Page:
"The Dubai Fountain can reach a height of 275 metres (900 ft)". In Germany this figure is also given as another world record in the media.

But is this true? Wikipedia sounds more reasonable to me:
"... it is 275 m (900 ft) long and shoots water 150 m (490 ft) into the air,...". Or has anyone seen the fountain extruding up to a third of the entire Burj Khalifa height?
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #24549
Mast3r_42

Likes (Received): 23

Hey what's up?... I'm really really amazed with this enormous building!!!! It's just a giant, I don't have words to describe the feelings that I felt when I saw this building for the first time (obviously photos :P). The human beings are in constant progress, I think in 10 years or less there will be higher buildings around the world. Greetings for everybody from cartagena de indias, colombia

Last edited by Mast3r_42; January 8th, 2010 at 03:38 AM.
Mast3r_42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #24550
aceflamingo23
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Isn't it about time to close this thread?
aceflamingo23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #24551
Darth Shemp
Armani

no. Just leave. It would be easier
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #24552
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Confusion over Burj Khalifa website owner persists

Website’s estimated valued at around $230,000

* By Arno Maierbrugger, Deputy Business Editor
* Published: 13:57 January 7, 2010

[IMG]http://i45.************/107j59v.jpg[/IMG]
* The official Burjdubai.com website.
* Image Credit: Supplied

[IMG]http://i48.************/ru7jpz.jpg[/IMG]
* Burjkhalifa.com site.

[IMG]http://i49.************/ra1dub.jpg[/IMG]
* The unused Burjkhalifa.ae

Dubai: The internet domain name burjkhalifa.com, which was snapped up by a cyber squatter at the very moment when the tower was renamed from Burj Dubai to Burj Khalifa during Monday evening’s opening ceremony, is obviously changing ownership every day.

While web databases first revealed the owner as a person giving his name as Shakil Farooqi, based in Karachi, the ownership later changed to Abdulla Matar from Dubai, owner of the Emirates Auction website, who, however, denied having registered burjkhalifa.com under his name when asked by Gulf News.

On Thursday, according to domain registration databases, the ownership switched back to a person called Saeed Hafiz, giving an address in Karachi again.

Meanwhile, Gulf News received an anonymous email with an @burjdubai.com appendix by somebody saying he was “the rightful owner”.

“I am the rightful owner and I registered this domain on 4/1/10,” the email said. “My reason behind purchasing this domain was not monetary gain. It was available and I acquired it as soon as I could. The domain is a gift to UAE and is awaiting transfer. Burj Khalifa is a name that reflects greatness and this domain belongs to the UAE,” the email continued.

Several websites in the meantime started to valuate the burjkhalifa.com domain. One of them, Valuemysite.com, a web worth calculator, said that the domain currently is worth approximately $230.000 (Dh844,100). The estimation is based on the number of visits the page currently receives (despite there is only a picture of the tower on it) and other ranking tools like Google ranks and “gives an idea” of the value the page might have.

The official website of Burj Khalifa is still burjdubai.com. Mohammad Gheyath, Executive Director of Technoloy Development Affairs at the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority, confirmed that burjdubai.ae was immediately reserved for the building after the opening. The page, however, is not active at the moment.

Other cyber squatters since jumped on the bandwagon: the domain burjkhalifa.info was registered for a person called Seyed Mohammad Ghahari from Ajman, bujkhalifa.biz and theburjkhalifa.com was registered by Lee Mascall from a web design company called 1081 Limited based in UK.

http://gulfnews.com/business/technol...sists-1.564875
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:21 AM   #24553
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflamingo23 View Post
It's NOT finished!
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #24554
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflamingo23 View Post
Why? So we can put a Nashville project on the top? Oh wait...

I have a few thoughts I would like to share that may or may not be related to the quoted poster (most are general thoughts).

I like it when some of my fellow Americans are so jealous of Dubai (Speaking in General, not you alone). Face it all of our complaining is that Dubai used slave labour and that we wish something bad happened to this building. As far as the slave labour goes, workers here work for more than what they would have earned in India not to mention at least Dubai doesn't beat or hang its people like we did during slavery. Washington DC was built on slave labour!

It is not slavery if they came here voluntarily and if they get paid. As far as something bad happening to this building... I assure you most of our crazy country doesn't know anything but hate. I am ashamed to be even related to a bunch of idiotic rednecks who never left their state borders let alone went to another country. All of us are fed lies by the media about this place. Some guy hiding in the mountains of Afghanistan doesn't picture the whole region. Face it, if we were number one right now we would at least rank 2nd in litteracy levels instead of 37th (maybe even lower). We are not number one anymore and we won't be with idiotic republicans/conservatives who are more extreme than the extremists themselves.

I am sorry for going off topic but I am sick of ignorance and hate from a country that pretends to be showcasing true values around the world. It is all a scam and none of it is real! Burj Dubai is not fully complete yet so it will remain on top since it is the World's Tallest Building, untill our politically and morally bankrupt nation decides to invest in its people and not in guns and rockets that kill people!

Also I would like to point out to our media that the we have more than 12 TRILLION in debt and a deficit that makes Dubai seem like heaven. So why don't you focus on how we pay our debt which would take at least 200 years to pay off (unless we go bankrupt) and leave Dubai alone.

Burj Dubai has a lot of finishing off to do so it will remain on top as a symbol of what can be achieved when the government invests in its people and not its military might!

I am done for now... Just really disappointed by reading some of the comments on YouTube and how a country of 300,000,000 can have 30% of it question whether the Sun is the center of the solar system or if global warming exists.

Anyways thank you to all who have covered and continue to cover the Burj Dubai! Your contributions shaped history and it allowed many of us to stay up to date on the progress of this phenomenal building!

Last edited by Guest89; January 8th, 2010 at 02:56 AM.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #24555
moscowboy

All the other tall buildings are office towers.
This is hotel+ apartments+office+shopping+hospital+Mosque+etc.
Very smart idea.
This building will always be occupied and busy.
moscowboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #24556
VRS

Likes (Received): 11519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intamin View Post
Perhaps it's a bit late coming, but did anyone also notice the duplicated fountain jets? Haha...it was copied like three times--at least. This photo has really been doctored.

the tallest tower, the biggest mall also the biggest dancing fountain....
that area its great object tourist...
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:28 AM   #24557
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

[IMG]http://i45.************/1zv4c2o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/2ngzfhy.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.************/a9u810.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i49.************/2niw6mt.jpg[/IMG]
http://gulfnews.com/pictures/news/15...n-1-7-1.564893
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #24558
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

[IMG]http://i47.************/2ipa52.jpg[/IMG]
Fino International's Talal Saeed: the world's highest interior contractor.

Fino applies finishing touches to Armani Hotel

by David Ingham on Jan 7, 2010

Fino International is nearing the end of its mammoth 33 month project to fit out the Burj Khalifa’s corporate offices, public lobby and Armani Hotel & Residences.

Talal Saeed, the company’s managing partner, describes the AED 400 million contract as the most “enlightening” he has ever worked on.

“The specification in the job is one of the highest I have ever seen and experienced; it was a most enlightening experience due to the fact there are so many consultants supervising and reporting to each other to make sure that everything is coherent and works perfectly together,” said Saeed.

Fino’s work on the project covered three separate areas. The largest was the fitout of the Armani Residences and the Armani Hotel Dubai, which required painstaking attention to detail and close co-ordination with teams from Armani and Emaar Hotels.

The second part of the work was the tower’s public area, which included the main entry lobby, the Armani café, various restaurants, prayer areas, a health club and spa.

The third and “highest” part of the contract was the corporate offices and the private offices of Emaar, on levels 152-154.

During the fitout process, materials such as marble, onyx and gypsum were sourced from all over the world, treated in Italy and shipped to Fino in Dubai for cutting and jetting prior to installation.

A brand new type of paint, developed by Armani with the help of an Italian student living in the UK, had to be used throughout the Armani properties. Four coats of the paint had to be applied, with at least 24 hours of drying required between application of each layer.

Reflecting the level of care that has gone into the building, Saeed said that every single wall in the hotel had to be inspected and approved by SOM, the architect; Turner, the construction project manager; and Armani.

Fino was also the last company to make use of the crane on level 154 of the building, which it employed to help lift large sheets of glass.

Fino International started the job with around 300 people on site, a figure that rose to around 2500 people at peak times. Around 30% of those people were new hires.

Armani Hotel Dubai will open on March 18. Handover of apartments in Armani Residences will begin in February.

http://www.constructionweekonline.co...-armani-hotel/
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #24559
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

I got by email:

Your Highness,

As italien i am, by italien news on tv, i was very surprised of this High investiment Arab Emirates Arab "Burj Dubai". Congratulations To Your Highness.

Marino ...... from italy
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #24560
Joachim

Likes (Received): 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intamin View Post

Does anyone know the names of the two towers on the right? It seems like there hasn't been any progress in past months.
Joachim no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae