daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #24701
gerald.d
Registered User
 
gerald.d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,343
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mirage View Post
The Truth hurts huh? Dubai is almost bancrupt. Behind all the glitter and glamour nothing's left, only megalomania, empty unused buildings and tons of debts.

(They even had to change the name after the sjeik of Quatar because he saved Dubai's ass by paying the loans. Says enough?)
It most certainly proves my point.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #24702
c6josh
BacolodInasalAddict
 
c6josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BacolodEast/SouthernCalifornia/LasVegas
Posts: 405
Likes (Received): 107

remember, the empire state building was built during the American depression and the petronas towers were built during the 1990's world crisis but yet it was completed and now are standing even stronger...so I think it's only a temporary setback for Dubai, it may be hard times but it is still manageable...besides UAE will not allow Dubai to fall that easily.
__________________
BACOLOD CITY, THE CITY OF SUCCESS! NEGROS ISLAND REGION
c6josh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #24703
gerald.d
Registered User
 
gerald.d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,343
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtazahmed View Post
Am I missing something or has the Burj Khalifa in Dubai NOT have a helipad??
also
See it actually runs of the tongue ... 'the Burj Khalifa in Dubai'
furthermore...
why do people feel that the building is going to be empty???
think about this...
the lobby, the observation deck, the mosque, the restaurant, the nightclub, the armani hotel are definitly going to be buzzing... the apartments are going to be so in demand, people who can afford to live in the burj are not going to care about their apartment value dropping...
sorry to make this post appear a bit simple but it is for the the benefit of the halfwits with zero brain.

I live in the UK, ask anyone here and they will tell you that 50% of office space in virtually every UK city is EMPTY yet more continues to be built.

People also bash the Burj on green issues, of course it is in a hot country and the heat needs to be tamed just as we use an awful lot of energy in the UK to keep warm....

PS. Does the BURJ have a helipad, if yes, where is it?
if NO... WHY???
My avatar is the top of the Burj - that's the helipad you see.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #24704
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtazahmed View Post
Does the BURJ have a helipad, if yes, where is it?
if NO... WHY???
No there is no helipad cause the shape doesn't allow it ... not to mention at those heights the winds are way to powerfull to allow for a safe landing on a platform.
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #24705
Guest89
----SSC ®----
 
Guest89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,137
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mirage View Post
The Truth hurts huh? Dubai is almost bancrupt. Behind all the glitter and glamour nothing's left, only megalomania, empty unused buildings and tons of debts.

(They even had to change the name after the sjeik of Quatar because he saved Dubai's ass by paying the loans. Says enough?)
This post showcases your endless ignorance and stupidity. First of all your first sentence describes London (although it's nowhere near as glitter nor glamour as Dubai is) and Los Angeles which are both worse financially than Dubai is.

Second of all Dubai didn't name the building after the Sheikh of Qatar. They named it after the President of UAE and ruler of Abu Dhabi, which is the next door state (very rich) within a country of 7 states.

So I would request you do your research and get educated on this issue before you come here and embarrass yourself like that again.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #24706
c6josh
BacolodInasalAddict
 
c6josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BacolodEast/SouthernCalifornia/LasVegas
Posts: 405
Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtazahmed View Post
Am I missing something or has the Burj Khalifa in Dubai NOT have a helipad??
also
See it actually runs of the tongue ... 'the Burj Khalifa in Dubai'
furthermore...
why do people feel that the building is going to be empty???
think about this...
the lobby, the observation deck, the mosque, the restaurant, the nightclub, the armani hotel are definitly going to be buzzing... the apartments are going to be so in demand, people who can afford to live in the burj are not going to care about their apartment value dropping...
sorry to make this post appear a bit simple but it is for the the benefit of the halfwits with zero brain.

I live in the UK, ask anyone here and they will tell you that 50% of office space in virtually every UK city is EMPTY yet more continues to be built.

People also bash the Burj on green issues, of course it is in a hot country and the heat needs to be tamed just as we use an awful lot of energy in the UK to keep warm....

PS. Does the BURJ have a helipad, if yes, where is it?
if NO... WHY???
I think Dubai Khalifa doesn't have a helipad so what! do you see the empire state building, taipei 101, petronas, jin mao, shanghai financial tower or even the planned chicago spire and shanghai tower have a helipad, I think they don't...so whats the deal about it.
__________________
BACOLOD CITY, THE CITY OF SUCCESS! NEGROS ISLAND REGION
c6josh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #24707
mumtazahmed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bradford
Posts: 17
Likes (Received): 0

shame no helipad

helipads are usually associated with prestigious buildings... the shape of burj al arab doesnt really allow for a helipad but they clamped one on... as for the height and wind issues maybe they could have installed a helipad part way up.

ps... (Sheikh of Qatar) ignorant is an understatement... this guy obviously has the benefit of schooling, education, internet... check the guys number of posts... he's obviously made a few... i would say that he is to put it mildly ... just THICK!!
mumtazahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #24708
c6josh
BacolodInasalAddict
 
c6josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BacolodEast/SouthernCalifornia/LasVegas
Posts: 405
Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
No there is no helipad cause the shape doesn't allow it ... not to mention at those heights the winds are way to powerfull to allow for a safe landing on a platform.
exactly...and with that reason it will be dangerous for helicopters to land on such enormous height...
__________________
BACOLOD CITY, THE CITY OF SUCCESS! NEGROS ISLAND REGION
c6josh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #24709
Guest89
----SSC ®----
 
Guest89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,137
Likes (Received): 36

Burj Dubai doesn't have a helipad because it would ruin the architecture, it is not needed and most importantly, given the shape and size, it is impossible for a helicopter to land.

Why doesn't the Empire State Building have a helipad? Answer that and you have your answer.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #24710
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

BTW, even the helipad on "top" Burj Al Arab is rarely used due to wind speeds up there. maybe the platform has seen more golf balls then helicopters.
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #24711
c6josh
BacolodInasalAddict
 
c6josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BacolodEast/SouthernCalifornia/LasVegas
Posts: 405
Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
This post showcases your endless ignorance and stupidity. First of all your first sentence describes London (although it's nowhere near as glitter nor glamour as Dubai is) and Los Angeles which are both worse financially than Dubai is.

Second of all Dubai didn't name the building after the Sheikh of Qatar. They named it after the President of UAE and ruler of Abu Dhabi, which is the next door state (very rich) within a country of 7 states.

So I would request you do your research and get educated on this issue before you come here and embarrass yourself like that again.
yes sheikh Khalifa is the brother of Dubai's sheikh...they take care of each other and the 7 states of Dubai will support their emirate.
__________________
BACOLOD CITY, THE CITY OF SUCCESS! NEGROS ISLAND REGION
c6josh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #24712
mumtazahmed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bradford
Posts: 17
Likes (Received): 0

to C6JOSH

... no big deal about the helipad, just a genuine question. I personally would have thought a helipad would have been a great idea. If I was the CEO or a russian billionaire I would have found it quite useful.
mumtazahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #24713
Guest89
----SSC ®----
 
Guest89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,137
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6josh View Post
yes sheikh Khalifa is the brother of Dubai's sheikh...they take care of each other and the 7 states of Dubai will support their emirate.
Sheikh Khalifa is Not the brother of Sheikh Mohammed. They are cousins and to correct you Abu Dhabi always helps the other 6 because it has most wealth. Currently Dubai wants to be financially independent but given the tough times help is needed from Abu Dhabi.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #24714
mumtazahmed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bradford
Posts: 17
Likes (Received): 0

helipad

... and with those very useful replies I thank all who have enlightened me on why no helipad.
Thankyou
mumtazahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #24715
chornedsnorkack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,962
Likes (Received): 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtazahmed View Post
the apartments are going to be so in demand, people who can afford to live in the burj are not going to care about their apartment value dropping...
The apartments are sold. All 1044 were sold in 8 hours, several years ago.

The people who paid millions for them surely care, but what can they do about it?

If you have wasted 9 million dollars on a 2 room, 202 square m Armani Residence in the Caliph Tower, and find that no one will pay 90 000 dollars to buy it from you, what are you going to do? Leave it empty? Or move in when you get the keys in February, so you at least have somewhere to live and can sell your previous home?

When shall the Caliph Tower be completed to the point that all 1044 homes shall have been offered to their owners? And when shall the first residents get their keys?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #24716
c6josh
BacolodInasalAddict
 
c6josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BacolodEast/SouthernCalifornia/LasVegas
Posts: 405
Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
Sheikh Khalifa is Not the brother of Sheikh Mohammed. They are cousins and to correct you Abu Dhabi always helps the other 6 because it has most wealth. Currently Dubai wants to be financially independent but given the tough times help is needed from Abu Dhabi.
oh my mistake thanks for the correction...but nevertheless they have a strong family ties and I believe that the vision of Dubai will take its place once the financial crisis will over...
__________________
BACOLOD CITY, THE CITY OF SUCCESS! NEGROS ISLAND REGION
c6josh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #24717
234sale
Registered User
 
234sale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dubai/Brighton
Posts: 8,319
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mirage View Post
The Truth hurts huh? Dubai is almost bancrupt. Behind all the glitter and glamour nothing's left, only megalomania, empty unused buildings and tons of debts.

(They even had to change the name after the sjeik of Quatar because he saved Dubai's ass by paying the loans. Says enough?)
Peter Griffin Syndrom
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #24718
234sale
Registered User
 
234sale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dubai/Brighton
Posts: 8,319
Likes (Received): 24



My video last year got 100,000 hits in 1 year, this video is better
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #24719
gerald.d
Registered User
 
gerald.d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,343
Likes (Received): 44

I'll have that on Gizmodo for you within the hour
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #24720
234sale
Registered User
 
234sale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dubai/Brighton
Posts: 8,319
Likes (Received): 24

[IMG]http://i48.************/r77ja9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/x3e3jl.jpg[/IMG]
From 8 Boulvard

[IMG]http://i45.************/ab0dy1.jpg[/IMG]
From East Tower, The Lofts

Thanks to Gerald for letting me come along



Close up on the remaining works
[IMG]http://i50.************/w9k3f8.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by 234sale; January 11th, 2010 at 08:18 PM.
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu