daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2010, 03:50 AM   #24861
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Green footprint for world's tallest tower

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=13166

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #24862
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Maybe people who don't live in Dubai or don't have anything to do with it should stop posting pictures that are not theirs. That prevents posting pictures that were already posted by someone else. It just doesn't make sense you know.. Everyone knows what the tower looks like.. Everyone can get pictures from the internet and post them here. I say let the Dubai forumers/updaters post their pictures here and stop posting someone else's pictures in here.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #24863
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Frank Lloyd Wright influenced the Burj Khalifa? Here's what the tower's designers say: That's a tall tale

January 14, 2010

[IMG]http://i46.************/2qtwoaq.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i48.************/2n74kcl.jpg[/IMG]
Some very smart people are saying some spectacularly misinformed things about the Burj Khalifa, the new world’s tallest building in Dubai. Among the most ill-advised of the assertions: Frank Lloyd Wright’s proposed Mile-High Illinois skyscraper had a major influence on the design.

It didn’t.

And I have that from two very well-informed sources: The chief architect of the Burj Khalifa, Adrian Smith, and the chief engineer, Bill Baker, both from Chicago.

Instead of assuming that the superficial similarity between the designs—both supertall, superskinny, with jagged silhouettes—is evidence of a genuine influence, I thought it would be wise to ask the designers themselves.

“The Mile High did not influence Burj,” Baker wrote in a brisk email from overseas. Smith had told me the same thing weeks ago.

Wright unveiled his unlikely plan for the Mile-High Illinois (left) at a 1956 press conference in the ballroom of the old Sherman House in downtown Chicago. He stood in front of a 26-foot-tall canvas, which almost reached the ceiling.

“This is The Illinois, gentlemen,” he told reporters. “The Illinois will be one mile high, contain 528 stories and have an occupancy of 100,000 people and space for parking 15,000 cars and 100 helicopters. In it will be consolidated all government offices now scattered around Chicago.”

The plan was technically unfeasible and was never built. But it quickly became a part of architectural lore—the supreme standard of vertical outlandishness and neck-craning beauty.

Naturally, when the half-mile-high Burj Khalifa made its debut last week, commentators went off to the races to compare the two, whether they loved or loathed the new tower.

In his scathing review, Stephen Bayley of The Telegraph (of London) wrote this about the Burj: “Wright was its inspiration. Burj Khalifa is the work of the grand old Chicago architectural firm of Skidmore Owings and Merrill, world leaders in design of supertall buildings. SOM, as it is known, has drunk very deeply of Wright's intoxicating brew of techno-mysticism and physical daring.”

In his more sympathetic treatment, published in the online journal Slate, Witold Rybczynski noted a series of perceived parallels between the Burj and the Mile High: “Both buildings are constructed of reinforced concrete; both have floor plates that reduce in area as the building rises, producing a stepped-back silhouette; both have a treelike central core that rises the full height of the building to become a spire. And both use a tripod design.”

[IMG]http://i49.************/eumsqw.jpg[/IMG]

The cracks in the argument begin with Rybczynski’s comparison. While his formal analysis is correct, his attempt to find structural similarities between the two skyscraper is deeply flawed.

The Burj Khalifa’s internal structure isn’t a simple treelike core of concrete that rises the full height of the building. The concrete core only reaches to the tower’s 156th floor. After that, steel trusses take over, rising at least another 600 feet. A steel spire — a giant metal pipe — extends through the unoccupied middle of the structure up to the final height of 2,717 feet.

As Smith told me in an email today, the real influences on the Burj Khalifa begin with Ludwig Mies van der Rohe’s radical unbuilt plans for glass-sheathed towers, designed in 1921 while Mies lived and worked in his native Germany.

The first of these visions, known as the Friedrichstrasse Office Building, called for three angular glass towers linked to a common core. The second, called the Glass Skyscraper (left), consisted of three free-form lobes that, from the top down, resembled “a pool of spilled milk,” as Mies’ biographer, Franz Schulze once wrote.

But Mies’ designs had little to with function. They were simply abstract—and stunningly beautiful—studies of the possibilities offered by an all-glass tower.

A more practical influence on the Burj Khalifa would come from Chicago’s Lake Point Tower (left), the glass-sheathed, Y-shaped skyscraper completed in 1969 to the design of the Chicago architects George Schipporeit and John Heinrich. Both had worked for Mies, who emigrated to Chicago in 1938 to head the architecture program at what is now the Illinois Institute of Technology.

Like the three-lobed Burj, whose principal functions are a hotel and condominiums, Lake Point Tower is a residential structure designed for ease of constructability. Its three wings create narrow floor plans that keep residents close to windows and views. It, too, was a record-holder--the world's tallest reinforced concrete building and (for 25 years) the world's tallest all-residential building.

Smith--now the head of his own firm but formerly a design partner with Skidmore, Owings & Merrill of Chicago, the Burj's architects---even told me that, as he sought inspiration for the Burj, he looked out his window from the Skidmore offices at 224 S. Michigan Ave., glimpsed Lake Point Tower and said to himself--"there's the prototype."

The last step to the Burj came in the Smith-led, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill design for the Tower Palace III skyscraper in Seoul, South Korea (below). Completed in 2004, the 73-story tower can be considered a kind of little brother to the Big Daddy in Dubai—an iconic, glass-sheathed residential tower with, yes, three lobes.

Further distancing the Burj (far below) from the Mile-High Illinois, Smith noted the spiraling pattern of setbacks on his skyscraper, a detail that does not appear in Wright’s plan. That “was my idea, not Wright’s,” he wrote.

To be sure, all architects have a tendency to regard their designs as original and to deny the influence of others. But Smith and Baker aren’t doing that: They’re saying that architecture’s chattering classes are citing the wrong influence for the Burj Khalifa. The real influence has more to do with Mies than with Wright.

[IMG]http://i46.************/2u713cx.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/qn8n4z.jpg[/IMG]
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....fa-wrong-.html
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #24864
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Right, where were we.. Parisian Girl's article and the elevator thing.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #24865
Desert Diver
Just add water

Likes (Received): 215

Night view from Neo's

For large format click here or on above image

Regards
Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #24866
velbujd
SSC Bulgaria

Likes (Received): 23547

Christmas lights
velbujd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #24867

Likes (Received): 1439

No estimated time of finish on the surrounding area?
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #24868
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241008

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4274703973/

From the top of Burj Khalifa (124th floor) at night:
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/subzeroblue/4276066084/
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #24869
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
No
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #24870
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
Maybe 5-10 years from now or more.

Still many empty and unsold plots there,no one knows the answer.
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #24871

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
Maybe 5-10 years from now or more.

Still many empty and unsold plots there,no one knows the answer.
Ok. Thanks!
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #24872
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Burj Khalifa , aka Burj Dubai

[IMG]http://i48.************/o9h3pw.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.************/2jzg4w.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/xclndk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/2irumte.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.************/244rx1v.jpg[/IMG]
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #24873
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Maybe people who don't live in Dubai or don't have anything to do with it should stop posting pictures that are not theirs. That prevents posting pictures that were already posted by someone else. It just doesn't make sense you know.. Everyone knows what the tower looks like.. Everyone can get pictures from the internet and post them here. I say let the Dubai forumers/updaters post their pictures here and stop posting someone else's pictures in here.
Here here Neil, we are getting statements "picture from today" and the cranes are still up there and 200m still to add.

Its not so much the ignorant posting, but when the image has already been posted on the previous page, I feel it reflects a non interest by not even reading others posts.

Regular posters who post images from other sites should be welcome, but at least read where the last post from their previous visits.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #24874
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

Wow Imre, beautiful pictures, thank you!

In the second last picture the contrast is so strong we can imagine how the Burj Dubai would look with black facade.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #24875
AHundredStories

Likes (Received): 0

What I would give to see that with my own two eyes. It really is stunning, even if I feel like it's going to be the first abandoned supertall within ten years.
AHundredStories no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #24876
zster

Likes (Received): 0

there is no way in ten years that this tower will be empty - if anything, I think it will be totally occupied and Dubai will be back in full swing again.
zster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #24877
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHundredStories View Post
What I would give to see that with my own two eyes. It really is stunning, even if I feel like it's going to be the first abandoned supertall within ten years.

If for 10 years America continues with it's spending I think the whole country will be abandonded because it will have to file for bankruptcy of 16+ trillion. lol
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #24878
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2674

How is it going to be abandoned when it is not even possible to buy an apartment there now? Except for outrageous prices of course.
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:39 AM   #24879
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Hi Library.
Any shots or vids I have of the observation elevator don't show a display. Not that there isn't one just I have not seen it. One thing I did notice is the lights in the walls do move giving one the impression of moving up or down.

So less than a month away from the Armani residence handovers. It looks like they are spreading them out as I think I read Feb 5 and Feb 20 from the 2 posters who are lucky (and rich) enough to be a future resident. Makes sense - if they handed them all over at the same time there would be a line up of people waiting to use the elevators to move their stuff in. They will have to get the landscaping done on the residence entrance side soon.

A question for the guys in Dubai ...
Are there any festival lights on at nights now ?
I am wondering if they will only be on for special occasions.

I find it a bit unreal there is still no ratification of the height claim. I never followed Taipai 101 or Petronas Towers when they were nearing completion. I wonder how long it took for their heights to become official ?

Old January 16th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #24880
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

A question for the guys in Dubai ...
Are there any festival lights on at nights now ?
I am wondering if they will only be on for special occasions.

I find it a bit unreal there is still no ratification of the height claim. I never followed Taipai 101 or Petronas Towers when they were nearing completion. I wonder how long it took for their heights to become official ?

The answer to the first question is Yes. They put white lights on each terrace pointing the lights up that illuminate each side of the tower. Also you can see the flickering lights on the whole tower. At some nights you can see giant two sided projector rotating on top of the spire like a lighthouse. Its beautiful!

I think they became official at the beginning of construction? Burj Dubai was kept a secret until opening night. We knew it was in the 818-830 range. Final height 828m.

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae