daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #24921
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

Likes (Received): 21

Imre, that'd be like selling your soul!

KEEP TEDDY!
Dark Matter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #24922
Darth Shemp
Armani

Likes (Received): 0

Teddy should belong to Vanhenrik. I bet he shed a tear when he saw the pic with him on top.
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #24923
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

I think he already has the original Teddy
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #24924
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5851

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234sale View Post
A bit like Las Vegas, some would consider this Tacky. Others think it is a amazing with its lights and buildings.. Some even say Vegas is romantic..
Maybe like the chrome coverings that automotive manufactures do to plastics or cheap metal. Or a fake iPhone, not as good as an original.
If you were describing something as Tacky, you are stating that you find the design in bad taste, fussy design and quality cheap. I can see why people look at it as some cheap knock off, but the Burj Al Arab is the real thing, Real Gold, all the flower displays are done on the day,, it’s not fake.

Tacky would be the cheap copies they sell in tourist shops, they are tacky.

If you came to Dubai, you would probably enjoy it as an experience.
I think the interchangeable word would be gaudy instead of tacky (mean very similar things). Too much expensive looking materials (real or not) which look like someone without any taste or apreciation for a material (such as gold) uses it more as an expresion of thier wealth rather than an expresion of beauty. It can also be used for bright garish clashing colours where wealth has nothing to do with it. I personally find the burj al arab gaudy, but because of the colours and internal design, not the materials (though i dont like gold except in small detailing amounts, again because of the colour).
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #24925
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimlong View Post

And this is Burj Al Arab...?
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #24926
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2674

Kimlong, why are you posting random pics?
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #24927
MANUTD
MANUTD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234sale View Post
A bit like Las Vegas, some would consider this Tacky. Others think it is a amazing with its lights and buildings.. Some even say Vegas is romantic..
Maybe like the chrome coverings that automotive manufactures do to plastics or cheap metal. Or a fake iPhone, not as good as an original.
If you were describing something as Tacky, you are stating that you find the design in bad taste, fussy design and quality cheap. I can see why people look at it as some cheap knock off, but the Burj Al Arab is the real thing, Real Gold, all the flower displays are done on the day,, it’s not fake.

Tacky would be the cheap copies they sell in tourist shops, they are tacky.

If you came to Dubai, you would probably enjoy it as an experience.
Have you been up there yet Sale ?- IF NOT WAIT TIL MARCH I'll treat you !
MANUTD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #24928
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

Lol why is "kimlong" posting pictures of Dubai Mall renders and interiors of Burj Al Arab? That has nothing to do with Burj Khalifa interiors!
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #24929
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
I think the interchangeable word would be gaudy instead of tacky (mean very similar things). Too much expensive looking materials (real or not) which look like someone without any taste or apreciation for a material (such as gold) uses it more as an expresion of thier wealth rather than an expresion of beauty. It can also be used for bright garish clashing colours where wealth has nothing to do with it. I personally find the burj al arab gaudy, but because of the colours and internal design, not the materials (though i dont like gold except in small detailing amounts, again because of the colour).
Spot On
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #24930
witu102

Likes (Received): 1689

it looks bit kitchy to me
witu102 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #24931
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
Lol why is "kimlong" posting pictures of Dubai Mall renders and interiors of Burj Al Arab? That has nothing to do with Burj Khalifa interiors!
Because this forum is full of jerks that just come by to take a dump... I've great respect for the really few real contributers that feed us with new information every day... but I don't get how they still have patience to put so much effort in it while they are surrounded by spamming jerks that do not even read the previous post

PS: But well... thats good for those few who actually read the posts. Thx guys
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #24932
Pablobegood

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
They're starting to open up access on the lake side:

Landscaping progress -

Gerald, I can't see any of these pics
Pablobegood está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #24933
rossie1977

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:

Yup only 5 stars. Burj Al Arab in the pictures above is 7 stars. I stayed there once for one night and I almost got a stroke when I saw the bill. lol Armani should be much cheaper.
there is no such thing as a 7 star hotel, thats just a marketing gimmick
rossie1977 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #24934
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossie1977 View Post
there is no such thing as a 7 star hotel, thats just a marketing gimmick

Off Topic:

It is called a 7 star hotel because it is impossible to describe the level of luxury compared to a normal 5 star hotel. There is no such thing as a 7 star hotel, but because of it's uniqueness and luxury, it can afford to call itself 7 stars.

PS: Shangri La hotel in Muscat Oman has 5,6 and 7 star hotel complex. I guess the same reason as Burj Al Arab, but there are stars awarded for a palace like treatment I suppose.

Last edited by Guest89; January 18th, 2010 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Added "Off Topic" since it is.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #24935
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 185

the problem with the observation deck is there isnt a beautiful city to look at......yet. Right now all you can see is a bunch of unfinished buildings and lots of cranes. The observation deck will have a much better view in a few more years
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #24936
moscowboy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
It takes one to know one. Artists and people in the know do not describe BAA as gaudy or tacky or kitschy or what ever. Folks whose biggest art is in the bathroom of McDonalds would not know the value of Michaelangelo. If you think it is gaudy, it is your opinion and keep it yourself. if you express your opinions, others will find out what a bum you are.

I have never been to dubai and I have never seen BAA. But I have read a lot about it; especially the opinion of those who are considered artists and architects. None of them said, it is tacky becaus it uses real gold, etc. Now, if you have such serious opinion, why don't you explain in artist's words where the flaw is.

if you are just shitting because BAA is in UAE, my dear friend, I have news for you.. It was all designed and built and decorated by world renowned engineers, architects and artists.. Now, show us your artistic and architectural credentials.. Show us the bathroom in your house.. let us see where you have used real gold and where you have used real diamonds in moderation...artistically...
moscowboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #24937
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablobegood View Post
Gerald, I can't see any of these pics
Something's up with my hosting company. I'm looking into it
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:14 AM   #24938
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Off Topic:

It is called a 7 star hotel because it is impossible to describe the level of luxury compared to a normal 5 star hotel. There is no such thing as a 7 star hotel, but because of it's uniqueness and luxury, it can afford to call itself 7 stars.

PS: Shangri La hotel in Muscat Oman has 5,6 and 7 star hotel complex. I guess the same reason as Burj Al Arab, but there are stars awarded for a palace like treatment I suppose.
For the record, Jumeirah group have never referred to the BAA as a 7 star hotel. They only claim 5 stars.

The 7 star comment was made by a British journalist when the hotel first opened, and has stuck ever since.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #24939
Shahid

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
You right, but I prefer to not wait till 2035 , would you pay 15K now ?
sell it man.
Shahid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #24940
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5851

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowboy View Post
It takes one to know one. Artists and people in the know do not describe BAA as gaudy or tacky or kitschy or what ever. Folks whose biggest art is in the bathroom of McDonalds would not know the value of Michaelangelo. If you think it is gaudy, it is your opinion and keep it yourself. if you express your opinions, others will find out what a bum you are.

I have never been to dubai and I have never seen BAA. But I have read a lot about it; especially the opinion of those who are considered artists and architects. None of them said, it is tacky becaus it uses real gold, etc. Now, if you have such serious opinion, why don't you explain in artist's words where the flaw is.

if you are just shitting because BAA is in UAE, my dear friend, I have news for you.. It was all designed and built and decorated by world renowned engineers, architects and artists.. Now, show us your artistic and architectural credentials.. Show us the bathroom in your house.. let us see where you have used real gold and where you have used real diamonds in moderation...artistically...
Quite a rant you had there, maybe you are insecure about something. no i have no problem with UAE or the exterior of buildings, but i find the interior excessivly bright and i personally dont like the design. It may be a cultural thing as the only places you see gold in Europe are older buildings such as palaces and the like, where it is used on architectural details rather thank blanketed across walls. It is often mixed with different materials that compliment it better than those in Burj al arab (at least to my taste), and personally think the gold was used more to enhance the prestige of the hotel rather than enhance its beauty.

Like i said its my personal taste, if i was offered gold taps for my bathroom (gold plated would be all i could afford) or chrome, it would be chrome all the way. Its probably a reason why gold coloured skyscrapers arnt that common or generally liked as well.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae