daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #25201
Library User

Likes (Received): 1

How will they get their food ? Levels 9-16 in Feb ??

Question for OTR, and as always --Fury

When the people move into floors 9-16 next month, how will they get their food into the building ? Is a grocery store open in the BK ? or will they need to go shop outside - where people do now ?

Since the hotel does not open till March, for those 6 or 7 weeks is any food service or store open = even a coffee shop ?

What entrance will they use to get in and out - till the hotel opens ?
Will they use the hotel entrance- or is another path to be provided ?

Comments ?

Thank you
Library User no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #25202
Library User

Nobody has talked about the garbage !!!!!!!!!

We have not seen this point discussed here - how does the garbage get brought down from high floors, and how is it collected and taken away ?

In North America ------

Most apartment buildings have a chute that the garbage is dropped down, and the newer buildings also have arrangements and provisions for recycling boxes, glass, plastic, etc, and the newest buildings now have a stream for organics.

In office buildings, cleaning staff pick up the garbage during the evenings and take it down the service lifts for removal out the loading docks.

In the Burj, where both usages exist, to say nothing about the high speed and noise of fallling objects going down a chute -

--what arrangements exist - considering the need for safety and efficiency ??

Would there be multiple chutes considering the height of the building ?? -
or would all of it go down the service lift - or some combination of chute to some intermediate point ina mechanical floor, then lift the rest of the way ?

I'm sure this would show up in some detail in Fury's material.

Comments ??

Thank you
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #25203
freakwave

Likes (Received): 3

As far as I can remember I saw chutes on the plans that ended up in garbage bins over several floors...
freakwave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #25204
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

Lol imagine if you have to take out the garbage... I am sure they thought of that. You won't see a lot of people carrying garbage bags down the elevator.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #25205
Jun10r
Locotron

...wonderfulll...
Jun10r no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #25206
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Hi Imre.
Great update yet again.
I just noticed how the "divers" on the waterfall in the mall really do look like they are suspended by their dicks ...
No - seriously ...

Hi Library.

Two questions I never thought about.
First - I assumed the Armani residences, hotel residences, Residences, and Luxury residences would all use the Residential entrance on the Ground level.
- I didn't think the Armani residences were tied into the hotel services at all. I figured they were just like the other 3 residential areas.

I would think living in the BK will be no different than any other hi-rise. After you park with your groceries you make as many trips up to your pad as is necessary - just a longer elevator ride. I haven't noticed any garbage chutes but there has to be some. As guest noted people won't have to take it down in the elevator, I'm sure.

A while ago I asked OTR about garbage in Dubai in general but it went unanswered. I wonder if when you own a home do you put your trash to the curb, or take it to a dumpster ? How does it work in the Old Town pads ?

It's cool watching this and other projects from afar - there are probably many facets of life that are quite different than where I live that I would find interesting.

Old January 26th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #25207
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library User View Post
Question for OTR, and as always --Fury

When the people move into floors 9-16 next month, how will they get their food into the building ? Is a grocery store open in the BK ? or will they need to go shop outside - where people do now ?

Since the hotel does not open till March, for those 6 or 7 weeks is any food service or store open = even a coffee shop ?

What entrance will they use to get in and out - till the hotel opens ?
Will they use the hotel entrance- or is another path to be provided ?

Comments ?

Thank you
I guess when people move into the BK it will be very similar to The Address hotel where you have the option to go out and buy groceries like you would anywhere, but restricted as you will not have large freezer/fridge capacity, or you do room service.

The nearest supermarket is Waitrose which is only a five minute walk through the Mall or home delivery (my fave) by Nandos etc etc that are located throughout the Mall and Downtown area.

You name the food, Indian, Chinese, Lebonese, Arabic, KFC, BK, just so much choice.

Remember they will park cars directly under the BK and be only steps away from the elevator.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #25208
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Hi Imre.
Great update yet again.
I just noticed how the "divers" on the waterfall in the mall really do look like they are suspended by their dicks ...
No - seriously ...

Hi Library.

First - I assumed the Armani residences, hotel residences, Residences, and Luxury residences would all use the Residential entrance on the Ground level.
- I didn't think the Armani residences were tied into the hotel services at all. I figured they were just like the other 3 residential areas.

I would think living in the BK will be no different than any other hi-rise. After you park with your groceries you make as many trips up to your pad as is necessary - just a longer elevator ride. I haven't noticed any garbage chutes but there has to be some. As guest noted people won't have to take it down in the elevator, I'm sure.

A while ago I asked OTR about garbage in Dubai in general but it went unanswered. I wonder if when you own a home do you put your trash to the curb, or take it to a dumpster ? How does it work in the Old Town pads ?

It's cool watching this and other projects from afar - there are probably many facets of life that are quite different than where I live that I would find interesting.

Hi Fury, apologies for my ignorance.

In the old town I live in a three floor high apartment block that has a service room for disposal of rubbish down a chute. This leads into a rubbish skip that is stored in a cooled room with extractors to keep the smell down that is located in the basement car park.

We pay a load in service fees to live in the OT, but I must admit the services and quality are good.

Can you imagine in the BK if you had to put the rubbish out.

"Hi honey, I'm off to take the garbage out, back in three days"
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #25209
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

All buildings have garbage chuttes here, so why BK be any different?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #25210
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Because it won't be one straight garbage chute all the way down like most buildings in Dubai.

In a building that size a good plan has to be made for garbage treatment, it will probably be a number of chutes per 5 / 10 / 20 floors, something like that?
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #25211
cebuboi
ThE RefLeX..ThE DrEaMeR..

Likes (Received): 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library User View Post
We have not seen this point discussed here - how does the garbage get brought down from high floors, and how is it collected and taken away ?

In North America ------

Most apartment buildings have a chute that the garbage is dropped down, and the newer buildings also have arrangements and provisions for recycling boxes, glass, plastic, etc, and the newest buildings now have a stream for organics.

In office buildings, cleaning staff pick up the garbage during the evenings and take it down the service lifts for removal out the loading docks.

In the Burj, where both usages exist, to say nothing about the high speed and noise of fallling objects going down a chute -

--what arrangements exist - considering the need for safety and efficiency ??

Would there be multiple chutes considering the height of the building ?? -
or would all of it go down the service lift - or some combination of chute to some intermediate point ina mechanical floor, then lift the rest of the way ?

I'm sure this would show up in some detail in Fury's material.

Comments ??

Thank you

about this one?...pretty sure it is surely well incorporated in all aspects...
just imagine a building at this height without provision for garbage???
cebuboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #25212
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
Because it won't be one straight garbage chute all the way down like most buildings in Dubai.

In a building that size a good plan has to be made for garbage treatment, it will probably be a number of chutes per 5 / 10 / 20 floors, something like that?
So what? I didn't say anything about how the chute system will work or be organised, I just said there is one
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #25213
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

--

Last edited by 234sale; January 29th, 2010 at 05:17 PM.
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #25214
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

DTCM team inspect Armani Hotel Dubai in Burj Khalifa

* United Arab Emirates: 3 hours, 49 minutes ago | PRESS RELEASE

A team from Dubai Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM) went on an inspection tour of Armani Hotel Dubai in Burj Khalifa on Monday ahead of the luxury property's scheduled opening in March.

[IMG]http://i50.************/hs1d1d.gif[/IMG]
DTCM and Burj Khalifa officials posing for a group photograph at the observation deck of Burj Khalifa located on 124th floor.

Armani Hotel Dubai, the first hotel to open under the collaboration between Giorgio Armani S.p.A. and Emaar Properties PJSC, is getting finishing touches.

Mr. Marc Dardenne, CEO of Armani Hotels and Resorts, welcomed the delegation and explained the facilities and services at the property and what also highlighted the unique features at the property. The hotel will soon start a pre-launch trial run.

The delegation comprised of Mr.Eyad Ali Abdul Rahman, DTCM Executive Director Business Development and Media Relations Division, Mr. Ahmed Al Tunaiji, DTCM Director Media and Advertising, Mr. Majid Saqr Al Marri, DTCM Director of Hotels Classification, Ms. Shaikha Al Mutawa, DTCM Director Business Development, Mr. Abdul Rahman Ahli, DTCM Head of Inspections (Classification), and Mr. Saad El Sayed, DTCM Head of Arabic and English Media.

The DTCM officials inspected the hotels rooms and services to ensure that these are in line with the hotels classification manual.

The delegation later went on an informal tour of the world's tallest building and was briefed about the multi-million dirham architectural wonder by the officials of Emaar, the Dubai-based public listed company which constructed the project. They were received by Mr. Ali Al Suwaidi, Senior Director Operations of Burj Khalifa, and Mr. Hamad Saeed Hamad Saif Eghdani, Senior Manager for Government Relations and Emiratisation at Emaar Hospitality Group.

Since its opening on January 4, Burj Khalifa is attracting between three to five thousand visitors who come to visit the tower and spent time viewing the city's breathtaking views from the observation deck on 124th floor for a fee. Armani Hotel Dubai is the first of a series of hotels, resorts and residences designed by Giorgio Armani to be opened around the globe and marks fashion maestro Giorgio Armani's debut in to the world of hospitality.

[IMG]http://i50.************/2uq2jdj.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.ameinfo.com/222279.html
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #25215
Frankus Maximus

Likes (Received): 735

It just dominates, sublime:

Frankus Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #25216
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisS View Post

I'd bet good money on chutes going down to the mech level below.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #25217
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
I'd bet good money on chutes going down to the mech level below.
Rubbish
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #25218
Library User

9-16, 19-37 etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

9-16 use the hotel lifts H-series group of 4;
19 to 37 use the HA-series lifts group of 3 right in the central core.

I believe these are all under the Armani banner.

They'd be using the hotel entrance - or - using the other entrances by using parking lifts to get to and from.

Maybe these people will give the hotel its first dry run, soft opening, trial run or what ever they want to call it.

Residences have their own elevators ( in the R-series on plans ) with express to 43 or 76, then local - and their own entrance on the ground floor. There's parking lifts for each group - so it's all interconnected --thus it's up to Security programming to implement what ever restrictions they need to control people flow in the building lobbies at the various levels.

Did I get this right ?

Comments ?

Thank you
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #25219
Library User

P1 as an entrance ?

Does CTBUH require full outdoor access to a level to consider it an entrance ?
or would having outside air and light flowing down from above as happens on P1 qualify ?

I think that's a bit much - they already have the record by over 300m, what's another 4m.

I don't believe P1 would be a separate "entrance" there's a tunnel leading to a parking lift which connects to the main OB-lifts at the G or C levels.

When this height record gets broken, as it will one day, it will be by a lot more than 4m. It could even be by 400m.

Anyway, this point should be settled soon, once CTBUH has its say on the issue.

Comments ?

Thank you
Old January 27th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #25220
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Hi library.

I think you nailed the elevators on the head man. I guess the Armani residences (9-16) and Hotel residences (19-37) would use the hotel entrance on level 1 - makes sense.

I hear ya on the extra 4 m. - seems insignificant but they did announce 828 as the height to arch. top during inauguration, not 824. I think they are including level B1 which would be good as the height of each level and section would remain as per the plans - only the total height for each would change. The water sculpture does sit on level B1 with a large open air hole around around it as it sticks up through the podium which is at the Concourse level on that side. This may fit the open air criteria to measure from there. The CTBUH does state though that they don't usually measure from a parking level but even the Concourse and Ground levels have "underground" parking.
I am finding it a little bizarre the ratification is taking this long. We may yet see the official height at 824 if the CTBUH chooses to measure from the Concourse and finds B1 doesn't fit the criteria. I hope it remains 828 but only if is made clear they are measuring from B1 so there is no question as to where the extra 4 meters came from.
Now if they would hurry the frick up ...

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae