daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2010, 01:59 AM   #25281
I(L)WTC
Cono Sur ♥

Likes (Received): 8735

brillant!!

visit:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...9#post51046269
I(L)WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2010, 03:06 AM   #25282
Lusitania
Luxury and Speed

Likes (Received): 0

- edit
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:11 AM   #25283
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Takin' a break from dloadin' pics ...

I want to touch on the topic of the observation level.
The entrance at the mall with a gift shop and the walkway to the observation level elevator lobby is a great idea that seems well thought out. The various pics and models along the way add to the experience of the deck itself greatly IMO.
Going from all the pics recently I must say the fit and finish is very good. Some months ago Imre posted some shots of a partially finished apartment. Discussion then was leaning towards shotty workmanship with some pointing out how half done work always shows some issues. I think the finished obs. level proves that point very well. I can't see any problems at all - it looks well done IMO. I think (as I did with the previous discussion) the finish throughout the occupied levels will be top notch.

I noticed many issues with areas up higher in the steel, spire, and pinnacle sections and tiers. Also there is alot of scaffolding, planking, and general clutter up there - clutter on every platform right up to the top. Those areas may stay that way as there won't be any public access up there. A bit of a joke here but - if it was my project all of those areas would be clean, tidy, and finished as nicely as the public levels - perhaps they will be in the end.

Only a few days untill February. Handovers for the Armani residences are to be in Feb. - probably spread out through the month. I imagine we will be seeing some interior shots from that area of the structure. Also the landscaping on podium zone C in front of the hotel entrance will need to be finished by then.

March 18 is to be the opening date of the Armani hotel. March is also the month for the first handovers of the other 4 areas as well (Hotel residences, residences, luxury residences, and boutique offices). These handovers could be spread over 6 months. The landscaping on podium zone A and B in front of the office and residential entrances respectively will need to be done by March.

Another topic that has been on my mind is the operations and maintenance aspect of the finished BK. Both aspects of this will be a big job.I would think they are in the process of getting the staff together. Everything from management, janitorial, housekeeping, handymen to take care of a multitude of little problems to maintenance of electrical, plumbing, and hvac systems. These are only a small example of the aspects of O & M. A big job doesn't come close to describing it. I find this part of a structures life cycle as interesting as the planning and construction phases - plus it could last many decades.

Thoughts - Discussion ?

Old January 31st, 2010, 08:49 AM   #25284
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

2 more things ...
Shots are from shnwhiting at Picasa from 10 01 14

Here is the road entrance to the BK.
I am having a hard time with the design thought process on this. Traffic is connected with this traffic circle to the boulevard at the top, the residential podium (B) on the lower left, and the hotel podium (C) on the lower right. Traffic flows both directions to both the entrances for drop offs and to the underground parking for both podiums ...
I sure hope people are up on the right of way for traffic circles if for instance someone's leaving the residential side as someone else is coming to the hotel side.
I guess a circle should flow better than a design with traffic lights but it kinda looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Here is a model of the entire steel structure.
(level 160 mezz. 3 which is the first level of tier 18 is the highest named level - above that I call them sections)
See how they show tier 21 as 6 - 3.2 m. high sections when the other tiers are 3 - 6.4 m. high sections. This is incorrect. They do show levels 158, 158 mezz. in tier 16 and 160 mezz. 1, and 160 mezz. 2 in tier 17 correctly as 3.2 m. high levels. Those are the only levels that are 3.2 - all of the other levels and all of the sections are 6.4.
For tier 21 they even show the diagonal bracing at a steeper angle to match up to the shorter sections.
I have poured over shots and tier 21 has the same 3 - 6.4 m. high sections as the other tiers.

I don't understand why they don't just make a proper model. There is no way that after the tier was cladded they removed the crossbracing, cut the bolt plates off the main columns so they could weld them at the steeper angle and then revamped the crossbracing shorter before re-attaching them. The rest of the structure was in place above this long before the tier was cladded so making wholesale changes at that point would be unsafe.

No way ... so make a proper model already ...

Thoughts - Comments ?

Old January 31st, 2010, 11:48 AM   #25285
PurePaki
HalfIndian

Likes (Received): 132

- edit
PurePaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:12 PM   #25286
alinush

- edit
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:19 PM   #25287
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

Lol, why do you even have to comment on that that it's fake
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:25 PM   #25288
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinush View Post
obviously fake, the bald guys are the same person
ok, just fake because of the bald guy, the animal is realistic ?
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:22 PM   #25289
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

Of course it is. Haven't you seen it around town Imre? The bald guy makes it look fake now!
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:32 PM   #25290
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2439

Quote:
I like your kind of humor

Reminds me of something i saw at work .... i went to some friends office , his CPU was on its side (under his desk) , out of its protective case , with a tissue on the motherboard and his phone charger on top of it .... i said "Isnt that dangerous if it catches fire" .. he replies "Nah , its just one tissue , even if if it did catch fire , it would go poof , and thats the end of it"

meanwhile i was looking at the 100 files filled with paper and architectural plans under his desk exactly behind the CPU
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:38 PM   #25291
zbieraj
Co się gapisz?

Quote:
Damn, I knew that someone will recognize that it is fake... I new that I should change the second bald guy because it will be too obvious that my pic is fake
zbieraj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:11 PM   #25292
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Here is the road entrance to the BK.
I am having a hard time with the design thought process on this. Traffic is connected with this traffic circle to the boulevard at the top, the residential podium (B) on the lower left, and the hotel podium (C) on the lower right. Traffic flows both directions to both the entrances for drop offs and to the underground parking for both podiums ...
I sure hope people are up on the right of way for traffic circles if for instance someone's leaving the residential side as someone else is coming to the hotel side.
I guess a circle should flow better than a design with traffic lights but it kinda looks like an accident waiting to happen.
Slightly confused with what your trying to say here? I can't really see the flaws with the design- I actually really like the design of the landscaping with it's radial pattern.

Or is it you have never seen a roundabout before?
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 05:24 PM   #25293
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

Traffic flows this way and people who are coming onto the roundabout should give way to traffic already in it. Hence a roundabout.

[IMG]http://i48.************/2a5ye4m.jpg[/IMG]
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 06:30 PM   #25294
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Guys although there are not many traffic circles here I have seen them and we do have to answer questions on them correctly to get our learners. I also like the landscaping design.

I was referring to the times when there is lots of traffic with many cars trying to turn in from the boulevard.

They will have to stop right on the boulevard if there is ever a line up...

As I said traffic should flow better than a design with traffic lights but it looks like it may get chaotic.

Old January 31st, 2010, 06:30 PM   #25295
daniel_zg

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234sale View Post
[IMG]http://i50.************/314be4x.jpg[/IMG]
Do you have more pictures of that group ?
Old January 31st, 2010, 09:03 PM   #25296
Ertai
O Investidor!

Crazy in Dubai

Beat the Burj Kalifa:

http://www.crazyindubai.com

Last edited by Ertai; January 31st, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Ertai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 10:10 PM   #25297
antovador
space wanderer

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Guys although there are not many traffic circles here I have seen them and we do have to answer questions on them correctly to get our learners. I also like the landscaping design.

I was referring to the times when there is lots of traffic with many cars trying to turn in from the boulevard.

They will have to stop right on the boulevard if there is ever a line up...

As I said traffic should flow better than a design with traffic lights but it looks like it may get chaotic.

I guess probably roundabouts are not usual in Canada like in US. For Europeans, this pic is obvious and understandable, in most part we use it to avoid traffic lights electric consumption and traffic stay flowing.
Old January 31st, 2010, 11:17 PM   #25298
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

oh groundhogs day is within a week right? i see that punxitony phil is on vacation to dubai
WiGgLz01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:03 AM   #25299
moscowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post

Traffic flows this way and people who are coming onto the roundabout should give way to traffic already in it. Hence a roundabout.

[IMG]http://i48.************/2a5ye4m.jpg[/IMG]
This is not a good traffic control design. If there are going to be many cars, this would lead to confusion.

But it is beautiful to look at without cars in it.
moscowboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:14 AM   #25300
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 338

There's hardly going to be a huge queue of people entering/leaving their apartments or hotel at exactly the same time, I think it will be fine. The only part that could be an issue is if there is a huge line waiting to join the boulevard because of the lights.

Btw, if you want to see a complicated roundabout system check this out: Magic Roundabout, Swindon

Last edited by Monkey9000; February 1st, 2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Added link
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae