daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #25581
Middle-Island

Likes (Received): 3186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
I said the official floorcount is being determined by the CTBUH as they do their count by their criteria for occupied levels. The number of levels as per the plans has been reported properly numerous times by the press. Why some can't get it right now is beyond me.
You yourself stated there are different criteria--occupied floor count vs. original plan. So why would you get so bent out of shape if there were different numbers then reported? Media isn't usually technically savvy. Do you think it's something of consequence to begin with? Have news for you: Not really important to the rest of the world, and is hardly some measurement of journalism.

Quote:
On another note you seem to think everyone here is an uneducated fanboy that only posts oohs and ahhs. Some of us here have more knowledge on this project than you or the general public will ever have on any project - read back through some of my posts for instance. No need to come on like an ******* ...

Good Day.
Others couldn't even admit that the building was "closed" in any way shape or form. That's what I was posting about. So your alleged--supposed--all knowing technical greatness is rather irrelevant in that case.

Plus, I never said everyone is a fanboy. Just people who say only US media made it sound as if the tower tipped over and fell across the city....talk about hyperbole. Furthermore, if you are going to quote someone, don't tell the forum what I "seem" to say. Then it's not me who comes off like the *******.

issue over

Last edited by Middle-Island; February 11th, 2010 at 07:37 AM.
Middle-Island no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #25582
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle-Island View Post
You yourself stated there are different criteria--occupied floor count vs. original plan. So why would you get so bent out of shape if there were different numbers then reported? Media isn't usually technically savvy. Do you think it's something of consequence to begin with? Have news for you: Not really important to the rest of the world.
When did I say I was bent out of shape or that the number of levels is important to the rest of the world ? If you are going to quote what I seem to say it is you who sound like the ******* ...

Like your technical incompetence is ever relevent ...

Back OT.
Hopefully we will be hearing from the 2 posters who were waiting for their handovers of their Armani residences. They were in the second half of Feb IIRC. It will be interesting to see some interior shots if they give us any.

Hi OTR.
Any shots of the new landscaping water features ?
The hotel entrance side (podium zone C) should be completed or very close to it.

Old February 11th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #25583
moscowboy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
You yourself stated there are different criteria--occupied floor count vs. original plan. So why would you get so bent out of shape if there were different numbers then reported? Media isn't usually technically savvy. Do you think it's something of consequence to begin with? Have news for you: Not really important to the rest of the world, and is hardly some measurement of journalism.

Others couldn't even admit that the building was "closed" in any way shape or form. That's what I was posting about. So your alleged--supposed--all knowing technical greatness is rather irrelevant in that case.

Plus, I never said everyone is a fanboy. Just people who say only US media made it sound as if the tower tipped over and fell across the city....talk about hyperbole. Furthermore, if you are going to quote someone, don't tell the forum what I "seem" to say. Then it's not me who comes off like the *******.

issue over
hey.. look, Middle Island forgot to take his medication.
Like a mad dog, with frothing mouth, attacking anything that moves around him..
come on, who has a tranquilizer gun..
moscowboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #25584
Middle-Island

Quote:
When did I say I was bent out of shape or that the number of levels is important to the rest of the world ? If you are going to quote what I seem to say it is you who sound like the ******* ...
Sorry. You just *were* bent out of shape. I didn't offer any quote. I just wanted you to take the "Burj" out of your ass.

"Have a nice day"
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #25585
moscowboy

Quote:

On another note you seem to think everyone here is an uneducated fanboy that only posts oohs and ahhs.
Good Day.
I have to admit at least 60% of the posts are by teenagers who don't even know English language.. pure worthless garble..
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #25586
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2435

Middle Island

If you Disagree with the veiws of certain users about American Journalisim , may i suggest you make a thread about it.your kind of trolling here now if you have not realized that yet

Fury can stay though , he is the only one over the years that provided us with great data and explained technical aspects of the projects so normal folk can understand.

Yes , my point is , Fury is actually contributing to this thread , are you ?
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #25587
Middle-Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowboy View Post
hey.. look, Middle Island forgot to take his medication.
Like a mad dog, with frothing mouth, attacking anything that moves around him..
come on, who has a tranquilizer gun..
just another drone that thinks someone's attacking this project if they question anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Boy View Post
Middle Island

If you Disagree with the veiws of certain users about American Journalisim , may i suggest you make a thread about it.your kind of trolling here now if you have not realized that yet
He's the one that took it upon himself to call me an "*******" on behalf of other forumers. I had never attacked his post disrespectfully until that. You have a strange definition of trolling.

Quote:
Fury can stay though , he is the only one over the years that provided us with great data and explained technical aspects of the projects so normal folk can understand.
For the last several years the SSP diagram lists Burj Dubai/Khalifa as having 162 floors. Despite Fury's claim, nothing was posted from recent media articles that misrepresents that. I see Huffington article mentioned the building which has more than 160 floors. How is that a screw up by the media if he's so technically correct about everything...I just asked for some evidence and he kept coming back with bs and started calling names like his greatness was questioned. I'm least impressed with internet people that boast how much they know more than anyone else. Arrogant.

Quote:
Yes , my point is , Fury is actually contributing to this thread , are you ?

It'll be archived soon enough anyway.

Last edited by Middle-Island; February 11th, 2010 at 09:14 AM.
Middle-Island no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #25588
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

I've decided from now on I'll only post photos of photos

(photo is 36x24 inches)
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #25589
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Where can we order?
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #25590
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 2002

TOWER COVER-UP
....................... photo WILL.TUNG/January 6
THE MOST TELLING THING ABOUT THE INCIDENT
AT THE BURJ KHALIFA TOWER IN DUBAI LAST SATURDAY
IS WHAT IS NOT BEING "TOLD" ABOUT IT

According to reporter Kevin Scott, a reporter for Gulf News, who we reached and who vouched for his account, an elevator full of passengers got stuck on its way to the 124th floor observation deck of the 160-story building Saturday night.

According to accounts, a bang was heard, smoke billowed, and those onboard had to make it out of the shaft via a ladder. Those folks and those stranded on the observation deck eventually made it back to “earth” courtesy a service elevator.

Fox News reached the management company which runs the building. The most they would tell us was the deck was closed due to “maintenance upgrades.”

Dubai’s Civil Defense office was reached. They acknowledge only that there was an “incident” Saturday night.

THE DUBAI POLICE WERE NOT PLAYING BALL.

The Chicago-based firm, Skidmore Owings Merrill, which was the architect and structural designer of the building, deferred to their client.

Even a Virginia-based telcoms firm, whose employee was one of the few on-the-record witnesses, begged off allowing their man to go on the record in any way that might seem derogatory.

As for the state-run media in Dubai, according to our contacts on the ground, this was a non-story.

But the fact is there was apparently a life threatening accident high up in this new structure. And according to reports, its the second time an elevator has gotten stuck in the month since the building opened.

But the stakes for Dubai are high. Having seen its real estate bubble burst and its debt pile higher than the Burj, there is a lot riding on this new landmark.

Apparently authorities there are anxious for nothing to rock its foundations. And those dependent on the place are willing to play along,
despite the distress of many visitors to the place this past weekend.
photo WILL.TUNG/FLICKR
GREG PALKOT
FOX
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #25591
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 2002

By the way, Kuwait, you're welcome
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #25592
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Sorry. You just *were* bent out of shape. I didn't offer any quote. I just wanted you to take the "Burj" out of your ass.

"Have a nice day"
You sir are an IDIOT. Yes I did say it ... so now kindly frigg off this thread.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #25593
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post

(photo is 36x24 inches)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
Where can we order?
Yes please, and how much?

(do tell special price in private )
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #25594
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
Who cares what the American media thinks? Nobody even finds them credible anymore, not to mention it won't affect tourism in Dubai, because most people in the United States have never even left their state borders and don't hold passports.

Journalism died long time ago. Why are we even surprised?
Yep, exactly right. The media is a joke here...kinda like a cheap ambulance chaser sometimes.

But I gotta disagree with the last half, you'd be surprised how many world travelers we have here. What you describe is closer to me. Someone who doesn't fly and only drives a couple of states away on vacation....and trust me I am the odd man out. I know very few people who haven't been out of the country.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #25595
moscowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSkyWatcher View Post
Yep, exactly right. The media is a joke here...kinda like a cheap ambulance chaser sometimes.

But I gotta disagree with the last half, you'd be surprised how many world travelers we have here. What you describe is closer to me. Someone who doesn't fly and only drives a couple of states away on vacation....and trust me I am the odd man out. I know very few people who haven't been out of the country.
I looked up the statistics. That is true. Most Americans do not travel overseas. Most of the overseas travel is done by first generation immigrants who came to USA from other countries.
It is also true that Americans mostly vacation inside America.
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #25596
moscowboy

Old February 11th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #25597
moscowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post

(photo is 36x24 inches)
Don't be silly. we all like your photos. Put them up.
If somebody steals, let them steal.
Those who steal will always steal from somewhere.
You cannot hide in a closet all your life because you are afraid of some thieves.
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #25598
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Emaar Properties records 2009 annual net operating profit of AED 2.324 billion (US$ 633 million)

• Annual revenue stands at AED 8.413 billion (US$ 2.290 billion)
• Fourth quarter revenue reaches AED 2.984 billion (US$ 812 million); net operating profit stands at AED 923 million (US$ 251 million)
• Recent company highlights include inauguration of Burj Khalifa
• Creates over 12,500 jobs through mall, hospitality and healthcare subsidiaries
• Opens first medical centre and two new hotels in Dubai

Dubai, UAE; February 11, 2010: Highlighting its global footprint with the recent inauguration of Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building, Emaar Properties PJSC announced today its financial results for the 12 months ended December 31, 2009. Annual net operating profits for the period reached AED 2.324 billion (US$ 633 million), as compared to the restated net operating profits of AED 4.236 billion (US$ 1.153 billion) in 2008. Annual revenue for 2009 was AED 8.413 billion (US$ 2.290 billion) as compared to the restated revenue of AED 10.717 billion (US$ 2.918 billion) in 2008. The restatement of the 2008 profit and revenue relates to change in accounting method from percentage completion to completed contract method of revenue recognition in accordance with International Financial Reporting standards (IFRS).

Fourth-quarter 2009 net operating profits stood at AED 923 million (US$ 251 million), 41 per cent higher than the third-quarter net operating profit of AED 655 million (US$ 178 million) and 149 per cent higher than the fourth quarter 2008 net operating profit of AED 370 million (US$ 101 million). Revenues for the last three months of 2009 reached AED 2.984 billion (US$ 812 million), 53 per cent higher than third-quarter 2009 revenue of AED 1.948 billion (nearly US$ 530 million) and 94 per cent higher than the fourth quarter 2008 revenue of AED 1.535 billion (US$ 418 million).

Emaar has delivered approximately 3,100 units during 2009 as compared to 4,900 units in 2008. However, the revenues by Malls and Hospitality businesses increased significantly. The company implemented a number of customer oriented policies, which assisted in maintaining its Gross Profit Margins at 2008 levels. These policies also enabled customers to settle their obligations towards properties delivered, which is also positively reflected in the revenues of the Company.

Bigger pic (with Hasselblad H3D II-50 ) and full text here:

http://imresolt.blogspot.com/2010/02...09-annual.html
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #25599
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowboy View Post
I looked up the statistics. That is true. Most Americans do not travel overseas. Most of the overseas travel is done by first generation immigrants who came to USA from other countries.
It is also true that Americans mostly vacation inside America.
Is that right.....well since you looked it up it must be right?
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #25600
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

I think he sold 12 of a limited 88 for 3,000AED each in a week , I'm sure I have seen them in Bloomingdales in Dubai Mall. Will check at the weekend.

The value will only increase as gerald becomes a known photographer..

Last edited by 234sale; February 11th, 2010 at 04:52 PM.
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae