daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #2741
shamilo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dettol View Post
Where on earth did you get that figure from? Are you in contact with the Project Manager in charge or erecting the steel section?
um.. i wish i was... but it says that on the main Burj Dubai site
shamilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #2742
jlh630

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilo View Post
um.. i wish i was... but it says that on the main Burj Dubai site
Where?
jlh630 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #2743
dettol
Logarithm

www.burjdubai.com looks pretty but thats about all the use it has. It is well known the information on it acts more like a PR and Marketing campaign than a source of facts. Sometimes the info is accurate but the SSC community tends to know better.

It might be that the eventual aim is to have a floor built every 7 days, but at this stage we cannot form our own conclusion from direct observation as they have barely started the second steel floor and so the best answer to the original question is 'We dont know'.
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #2744
jaja3000jaja
Masters Student

Likes (Received): 3

Awesome photos Imre, I can't wait until the building is finished.
Off topic here but I was wondering the other day what kind of insects are out there in Dubai, like huge ones, deadly ones, etc.
jaja3000jaja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #2745
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

What a random question ... the deadliest ones might be red-back spiders (Australian unwanted refugees).

Youi'll not find them on Burj Dubai though.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #2746
LoverOfDubai

I hope someone can help me. I am trying to understand the size of the Burj Dubai. What is the diameter of the circle below? Thank you.

Image of Burj Dubai on 15 December 2004

Last edited by LoverOfDubai; January 11th, 2008 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Added question mark
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #2747
dettol
Logarithm

Roughly 100m LoverofDubai. Thats considering each tier streches 50m from the centre of the core.
Old January 11th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #2748
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrasuper Planet View Post
does anyone know how quickly the steel work will be constructed. as in floor per days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilo View Post
its 7 days per floor
Quote:
Where on earth did you get that figure from? Are you in contact with the Project Manager in charge or erecting the steel section?

Thanks Shamilo for the info and I understand Dettol's reaction to that figure: "wtf??" lol it was the same reaction i had. where did you get that figure from and how accurate is it?? i mean, that 'floor per day' rate is even longer than that of the construction of a concrete floor.

However, i thought id put that figure to the test and i did some simple number crunching and came up with this:

Current Date: 11/1/08 - 2nd week of the year
total number of weeks in a year = 52

current floor of Burj Dubai = 156
total no. of levels = 205, hence, no. of levels to go = 49
taking into account that each floor takes approx 7 days (and i know this may be sped up to 5 or even 4 days), then:

49 more weeks til Burj Dubai T/O? - appox 2nd last week of december 08 - the scheduled completion/top off date?

so even though 7 days per floor may seem like a way-off figure, it technically fits into the buildings construction schedule. I'm no architect or engineer, but i hope i am right here and if not, maybe Fury or Cullawulla can shed some light on this.
Thanks

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher

Last edited by Infrasuper Planet; January 11th, 2008 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Some Quotes missing
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 02:22 AM   #2749
jlh630

The plain and simple fact is that the rate each floor is built has varied for the entire construction of the building, and will continue to vary until it tops out. There was a time when the concrete core was rising a level every 3 days, but there were also times when it didn't rise for several weeks. The only times you can really say the tower is rising at a specific pace is when the construction crew hits a stride in between mechanical floors and knows exactly what they are doing, but that pace will only last as long as they are building the same floor over and over. As soon as it changes, things slow down. This steel structure is a completely different animal from the concrete structure below it, and it's going to take some time before the people who are building it get used to what they are doing. It's going to go a little slow right now, but soon it will hit a steady pace and frankly, we don't know what that pace is going to be. So all we can do is wait and see.
jlh630 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #2750
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
Roughly 100m LoverofDubai. Thats considering each tier streches 50m from the centre of the core.
Thank you very much.
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #2751
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Actually, that red circled area is the foundation mat for just the central core column and is around 74m in diameter. To give you an idea, the building reveals this first setback at this diameter at L19 up to L43 for the first 3 sebacks.

The 3 tiered podium section extends well beyond this foundation mat by a shallower foundation extended beyond what you see in the photograph and extends to 91m in diameter.

Again, the 3 buildings situated on the outskirts of the podium section extend to a base diameter of over 127m with the underground carpark sections extending much further out again filling the whole dugout area that takes up that photograph.

Zefire liked this post
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #2752
LoverOfDubai

I am sorry, but I did not understand anything you said. It is too technical for me.

I will rephrase my question. If I were to draw a red circle around the current footprint of the Burj Dubai, what would be the diameter of that circle (this circle only goes around the tower, not around the buildings and the underground areas)?

I ask for the diameter because I am trying to find the area of that circle. But I would also be interested to know what the area of the base of the tower is; if anyone knows that.

Thank you.
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #2753
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebec View Post
Are they aware of the raising sea level problem we'll have!? Artic ice is melting ( the portion of groenland.. which add water to the ocean actually... )at an never expected rate and oceans expands because its getting hotter , so why are they building in the coast? I know that dubai is in a sort of a bay but water will find his way through!?

Seems like cities near coast don't care, but in a near future, great cities will have to deal with it.
Historically during warmer climate periods the sea level doesnt really rise that much. But im sure they would be able to handle it. Just like many other older cities have already had to do through history.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #2754
dettol
Logarithm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverOfDubai View Post

I am sorry, but I did not understand anything you said. It is too technical for me.

I will rephrase my question. If I were to draw a red circle around the current footprint of the Burj Dubai, what would be the diameter of that circle (this circle only goes around the tower, not around the buildings and the underground areas)?

I ask for the diameter because I am trying to find the area of that circle. But I would also be interested to know what the area of the base of the tower is; if anyone knows that.

Thank you.
Hey LoverOfDubai,

Im sorry I didnt paste this link up when I initially responded. Its not official but a lot of time has been spent explaining the "Tier Methodology" as it puts it. You will find the first tier, that which encompasses the raft foundation in your picture, is stated as being 51m from the central core.

You will also find figures for the podiums below the first tier, which Sky Tower touches upon in some way in his response above. I hope this information answers your question but feel free to PM me if you need anything further.

Cheers for your input Sky Tower.

Thank you to Bikes site www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com from where I am sourcing it.

Last edited by dettol; January 11th, 2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #2755
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10129

i think as Burj Dubai rises the steel sections will be constructed quicker. they end up real tiny compared to current sections so maybe the upper levels will be hoisted up as one section and simply bolted on. the pinnacle will be also hoisted up and telescoped into position as the steel structure is built around it. i think it will top out within next 6 months.
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #2756
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
i think as Burj Dubai rises the steel sections will be constructed quicker. they end up real tiny compared to current sections so maybe the upper levels will be hoisted up as one section and simply bolted on. the pinnacle will be also hoisted up and telescoped into position as the steel structure is built around it. i think it will top out within next 6 months.
I don't know if they're going to do it with prefabricated sections wich are hoisted up in one time. Measurement of steel constructions is very precise compared to concrete constructions. Maybe they do hoist up big sections, but the fitting and fine-tuning of the construction will take the most time. Especially at that height they're must be very careful with constructing. And besides they're going to uplift a great pinnacle wich has never been done before at such scale and such height! The more I think about it the more interesting it becomes! We'll see it the next half year!
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #2757
cooperchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverOfDubai View Post

Thank you.

The diameter of a circle around the current footprint of the Burj Dubai (at ground level which is the base of podium 1) is approx. 184.6m, according to my model. That figure may be slightly off by a tiny bit but it's very close. The area of podium 1 (base of tower) is approx. 6713m squared. Hope this helps
cooperchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #2758
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
6 months? sounds very optimistic ....but i think they'll do it.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #2759
EloyBr
♪Dance 4 Life♪

Likes (Received): 1142

6 MONTHS???? Are u sure???

Some of my Photos here: flickr
Follow me on Instagram:@EloyBp
EloyBr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #2760
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

from scoot68:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot68 View Post
[IMG]http://i1.************/6td6549.jpg[/IMG]
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae