daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #27741
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

floors arn't hight
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #27742
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

what ? The floor height for the restaurant is 4.80m or 15ft, that's a good height for a restaurant.

Last edited by helghast; September 28th, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #27743
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
what ? The floor height for the restaurant is 4.80m or 15ft, that's a good height for a restaurant.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #27744
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

delete

Last edited by helghast; September 30th, 2010 at 08:44 AM.
helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #27745
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

whats the height of the cn tower resturant ,that must still be the highest revolving one ?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #27746
Mark Rejhon

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sock View Post
whats the height of the cn tower resturant ,that must still be the highest revolving one ?
351 meters, and yes it still is. (As far as I'm able to determine).

http://www.cntower.ca/360_restaurant/overview/

I don't think the Burj restaurant revolves, so at least we'll keep that token claim (as well as the world's highest wine cellar - 9,000 bottles)

I'll have to pay BK a visit.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; September 28th, 2010 at 11:12 PM.
Mark Rejhon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #27747
tower lord

Location: gloucester then muscat in oman then dubai then cheltnham and in the future richmond london
Likes (Received): 0

well i use to live in oman next to dubai and went there all the time its awsome
tower lord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #27748
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

Tom cruises into Dubai for fourth mission

Carol Huang

September 29. 2010

Tom Cruise plays Ethan Hunt in Mission: Impossible III, a role he will reprise, with some film shooting scheduled for Dubai. Paramount Pictures / AP Photo

The fourth instalment of the popular Mission: Impossible film franchise is to be partly filmed in Dubai, it was confirmed yesterday.

Shooting for the film, which stars Tom Cruise, will begin in the “next few weeks”, according to a statement by the media office of Dubai.

A spokesperson for the film who asked not to be named added: “Mission: Impossible will be shooting on location in Dubai in several weeks and the cast and crew are looking forward to experiencing Dubai’s wonderful cultural diversity and its distinctive architecture.”

“It’s a good thing for Dubai to have this film,” said the manager of a lighting company based in Dubai who also asked not to be named. “It will raise the level of movie production here. The kind of lighting and other techniques that will be required for this movie will be more advanced than what Dubai has seen before.”

The announcement comes after two months of meetings between the franchise’s Hollywood studio, Paramount Pictures, and government officials. Technical teams also arrived to scout locations in the city.

Among the possible filming sites are the Burj Khalifa and Meydan. Government departments and companies such as Emirates Airline and Emaar have been placed on standby to assist with the film.

“Filming [set to take place in] Dubai would be the longest among other international cities that will feature in M:I4,” said the statement from the emirate’s media office. “The city is expected to play host to the film crews and stars over a period of at least three weeks.”

Alongside Cruise will be a crew of more than 400, including the director Brad Bird, who is best known for his work on Pixar’s The Incredibles, which grossed more than US$600 million (Dh2.2 billion) globally.

Other Tinseltown stars expected to arrive in Dubai include Oscar nominee Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker) and Paula Patton (Precious).

Only a handful of big-budget films have been made in the UAE, notably the Hollywood blockbusters The Kingdom, which was set in Saudi Arabia, and Syriana, which was set in several countries in the Middle East.

Landing part of the production of M:I4 will boost Dubai’s efforts to establish itself as a host to international films and a regional movie hub. In 2004, the city launched the Dubai International Film Festival. In five years, it has more than doubled the number of films shown to 181 from 76, and expanded the number of countries represented to 66 from 27.

Dubai opened Dubai Studio City in 2005, which provides resources for filmmaking from equipment rental to post-production. It also supports television productions.
The Mission: Impossible franchise has grossed more than US$1.4bn globally, according to Paramount.

M:I4 is scheduled for US release in December 2011

[email protected]

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....100929296/1010
Old September 29th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #27749
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
122fl! That's basically the height of Willis(sears) Tower. According to Fury's plans.
Hi Helghast.

Yes - very close.
Willis height to arch top - 442.1 m.
BK level 122 floor - 441.3 m.

Here is page 7 of my plan to illustrate.

A few points :
- The restaurant is named At.mosphere
- I consider the height of the 'Sears' tower to be 527.0 m. (height to tip)
- The At.mosphere opening in Jan 2011 brings home the point that this project isn't completed ... (as if us SSC'ers didn't know that ...) Fully a year after the inauguration ...

It remains to be seen whether all the work in the structure will be done by Jan 2011.

Old September 29th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #27750
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Just finished my daily rounds collecting BK pics.
I see there are abseilers doing the window cleaning on tiers 4 to 7 in Sept.
The big BMU's that ride the 'rails' should be doing those tiers. I haven't seen those BMU's working in some time (or any of the BMU's for that matter). Either they are way behind and they are using the abseilers to catch up or there are problems with the BMU's. (I doubt the latter though)
Took a quick look through my collection and I don't see any working at anytime this year !

Has anyone in Dubai seen any BMU's working this year ?

Ray.

Last edited by Fury; September 29th, 2010 at 07:25 AM.
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #27751
DXBQuantum

Location: From - London, Work - Dubai, Ski - Colorado, Fly - New Zealand
Likes (Received): 1

Yes the BMU's are in full swing, cleaning is pretty regular by the looks of it.

Cleaners abseil down from around 30th-50th floors anything above that the BMU's are used.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
DXBQuantum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #27752
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50810

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/--pariy...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2976492...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bloem/4...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swissru...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael...n/photostream/
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #27753
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50810

Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #27754
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiiscool:) View Post
Carol Huang

September 29. 2010

Tom Cruise plays Ethan Hunt in Mission: Impossible III, a role he will reprise, with some film shooting scheduled for Dubai. Paramount Pictures / AP Photo

The fourth instalment of the popular Mission: Impossible film franchise is to be partly filmed in Dubai, it was confirmed yesterday.

Shooting for the film, which stars Tom Cruise, will begin in the “next few weeks”, according to a statement by the media office of Dubai.

A spokesperson for the film who asked not to be named added: “Mission: Impossible will be shooting on location in Dubai in several weeks and the cast and crew are looking forward to experiencing Dubai’s wonderful cultural diversity and its distinctive architecture.”

“It’s a good thing for Dubai to have this film,” said the manager of a lighting company based in Dubai who also asked not to be named. “It will raise the level of movie production here. The kind of lighting and other techniques that will be required for this movie will be more advanced than what Dubai has seen before.”

The announcement comes after two months of meetings between the franchise’s Hollywood studio, Paramount Pictures, and government officials. Technical teams also arrived to scout locations in the city.

Among the possible filming sites are the Burj Khalifa and Meydan. Government departments and companies such as Emirates Airline and Emaar have been placed on standby to assist with the film.

“Filming [set to take place in] Dubai would be the longest among other international cities that will feature in M:I4,” said the statement from the emirate’s media office. “The city is expected to play host to the film crews and stars over a period of at least three weeks.”

Alongside Cruise will be a crew of more than 400, including the director Brad Bird, who is best known for his work on Pixar’s The Incredibles, which grossed more than US$600 million (Dh2.2 billion) globally.

Other Tinseltown stars expected to arrive in Dubai include Oscar nominee Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker) and Paula Patton (Precious).

Only a handful of big-budget films have been made in the UAE, notably the Hollywood blockbusters The Kingdom, which was set in Saudi Arabia, and Syriana, which was set in several countries in the Middle East.

Landing part of the production of M:I4 will boost Dubai’s efforts to establish itself as a host to international films and a regional movie hub. In 2004, the city launched the Dubai International Film Festival. In five years, it has more than doubled the number of films shown to 181 from 76, and expanded the number of countries represented to 66 from 27.

Dubai opened Dubai Studio City in 2005, which provides resources for filmmaking from equipment rental to post-production. It also supports television productions.
The Mission: Impossible franchise has grossed more than US$1.4bn globally, according to Paramount.

M:I4 is scheduled for US release in December 2011

[email protected]

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....100929296/1010
Since the beginning of construction of Burj Khalifa, couple of the biggest hollygood movies passed from Dubai, but when they filmed the tower was u/c like in Syriana movie few years ago.
In the M:I4 , i hope that they will "put" the Burj Khalifa as it is today in some of the movie scenes...
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #27755
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1638

image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/...2a1e6e99_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/...b92584ab_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/...42d4cb55_b.jpg
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #27756
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Burj Khalifa wins Best Project

SOM associate director Eric Tomich

http://www.constructionweekonline.co...-best-project/
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #27757
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBQuantum View Post
Yes the BMU's are in full swing, cleaning is pretty regular by the looks of it.

Cleaners abseil down from around 30th-50th floors anything above that the BMU's are used.

Hi DXB.

There is a big BMU that rides the rails of the second MEP levels (levels 40 and 42) that is supposed to do down to the base and possibly to the podium. I have many shots of it from 2009. That was my point that I wonder if there is a problem with it and/or with the one that rides the rails of the third MEP levels. Perhaps they just want to get the cleaning done quicker right now ?

Hi PG.

Great to see this project win that award in particular. I've always thought of it as "the best project".

Ray.
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:48 AM   #27758
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

great stuff. so the mighty burj dubais first inclusion in a movie is crusies mission impos 4?
cool. i hope tom has to scale down from ob deck. eg
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #27759
DXBQuantum

Location: From - London, Work - Dubai, Ski - Colorado, Fly - New Zealand
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Hi DXB.

There is a big BMU that rides the rails of the second MEP levels (levels 40 and 42) that is supposed to do down to the base and possibly to the podium. I have many shots of it from 2009. That was my point that I wonder if there is a problem with it and/or with the one that rides the rails of the third MEP levels. Perhaps they just want to get the cleaning done quicker right now ?

Hi PG.

Great to see this project win that award in particular. I've always thought of it as "the best project".

Ray.
I think its a question of just getting the job done at the moment, but maybe its not working?

I was there again yesterday, only pics on my phone (bad quality) but I was on the health club level on 76th floor - great view but a bit dusty. Not sure i could relax out there being that high up!

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
DXBQuantum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #27760
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi PG.

Ray.
We have said that many times in the past, present etc... why Burj Khalifa won? Because until now (and at least for 5 - 10 years) BK is one of the greatest structures in all world (design, style, density etc)
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae