daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #29401
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Went to at.mosphere on Thursday night.

Wife was wondering how far up the Burj I'd taken her, so I did a bit of googling and worked out that the distance between us and the top was pretty much spot on the height of the Empire State Building!

You enter through the office entrance for at.mosphere, but when you leave - if you need a taxi - you have to go out through the hotel entrance.

The lift that connects the two has the magical exit on floor G with a notice on the lift indicating that's the famed route to Dubai Mall!
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #29402
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I just noticed a post about this building ? wasn't it finished a while back ? .............The rest of the world has moved on.....next !!!! that's the way these days, no excitement anymore.....show me the money !
Why should I show you the money, so you'd go and waste them on more drugs?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #29403
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity
Why did they change the name from Burj Dubai to Burj Khalifa?
I think it was named after the sheikh who controlled dubai and recently passed away during the time it was u/c

Don't quote me this is what I recall hearing but it is definitely named after a sheikh
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #29404
Dirty new yorker

Let's see one twice as tall!
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #29405
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Construction View Post
I watched the trailer, it definitely contains alot of new content, never seen before. Also a fire exercise, and the whole documentation of the construction. I believe here in the Netherlands we can receive VOX aswell but I'll be unnable to record it tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Construction View Post
BTW the documentary is 245 minutes long, or 4 hours and 5 minutes without commercial breaks!
Hi King.
Now I really want to get it !
If you could get an idea of who made the doc., it may be helpfull - please post. Hopefully someone puts it up on youtube but if not, the info may allow one to contact them for a DVD copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I just noticed a post about this building ? wasn't it finished a while back ? .............The rest of the world has moved on.....next !!!! that's the way these days, no excitement anymore.....show me the money !
Hi red.
What Altin said ........
Seriously though, the interiors aren't completed yet - though they must be getting close I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
Went to at.mosphere on Thursday night.

Wife was wondering how far up the Burj I'd taken her, so I did a bit of googling and worked out that the distance between us and the top was pretty much spot on the height of the Empire State Building!

You enter through the office entrance for at.mosphere, but when you leave - if you need a taxi - you have to go out through the hotel entrance.

The lift that connects the two has the magical exit on floor G with a notice on the lift indicating that's the famed route to Dubai Mall!
Hi Gerald.
Cool info man. Interesting you can exit through the hotel entrance on level 1. Did you notice if the connecting lift is one of the three in the hotel group that services only 3 levels (concourse, ground, and one) ?

also .....
- 388.542 meters from the floor of level 122 to the tip.
- Take off 4.80 if you want to, as you were on 123 before you went down the staircase.
- ESB is 381 to arch. top but I call it 443.2 to tip.

Your observation is close enough, for frick sakes ...... - but for those as **** as I am .....

Ray.
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #29406
Marwan_2

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur
My best photo of the Burj:
I have a similar photo ... Actually every one nearby the tower can take beautiful picture like that
Marwan_2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #29407
LoverOfDubai

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty new yorker View Post
I think it was named after the sheikh who controlled dubai and recently passed away during the time it was u/c

Don't quote me this is what I recall hearing but it is definitely named after a sheikh
Sheikh Maktoum died in 2004. Sheikh Mohammed (the current Ruler of Dubai) succeeded him. The Burj Khalifa is named after the Ruler of Abu Dhabi and President of the UAE, Sheikh Khalifa.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #29408
Dirty new yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverOfDubai

Sheikh Maktoum died in 2004. Sheikh Mohammed (the current Ruler of Dubai) succeeded him. The Burj Khalifa is named after the Ruler of Abu Dhabi and President of the UAE, Sheikh Khalifa.
Oh interesting, I know they changed the name soon before completion and it was a topic in an article at one point
Old June 5th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #29409
Dove21

Likes (Received): 42

[QUOTE=Fury;79038228]Hi all.

Hi King.
Now I really want to get it !
If you could get an idea of who made the doc., it may be helpfull - please post. Hopefully someone puts it up on youtube but if not, the info may allow one to contact them for a DVD copy.

Hi Fury,

the documentation was great. Very new, perhaps one or two month old. Very mutch details about the living inside the Burj. I ask a friend to record is. I hope he did it well. But the documentation is very long, three hours!
Dove21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #29410
gerald.d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi Gerald.
Cool info man. Interesting you can exit through the hotel entrance on level 1. Did you notice if the connecting lift is one of the three in the hotel group that services only 3 levels (concourse, ground, and one) ?
Sorry about the quality - it only occurred to me to take a snap as we were leaving the elevator!

Old June 5th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #29411
DXBQuantum

Location: From - London, Work - Dubai, Ski - Colorado, Fly - New Zealand
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Sorry about the quality - it only occurred to me to take a snap as we were leaving the elevator!

Either you were drunk, or to busy taking your wife up the Khalifa!

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
DXBQuantum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #29412
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240812

Quote:

Its the elevator wich goes to "at the top"? I can recognise B1 and B2 buttons btw
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #29413
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty new yorker View Post
Oh interesting, I know they changed the name soon before completion and it was a topic in an article at one point
If I remember right when crisis hit the Dubai Emaar has serious financial problems with completing the tower, so the Abu Dhabi government transfered needed amount to help finish it. Soon after this, tower was renamed to Burj Khalifa, after the name of the Abu Dhabi ruler. Coincidence ?
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #29414
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
If I remember right when crisis hit the Dubai Emaar has serious financial problems with completing the tower, so the Abu Dhabi government transfered needed amount to help finish it. Soon after this, tower was renamed to Burj Khalifa, after the name of the Abu Dhabi ruler. Coincidence ?
Nope it is DUBAI WORLD that has nothing to do with Emaar that got the bailout. Emaar has the Dubai Mall etc to make money so I don't think they had financial problems to fund this. I'm pretty sure that Emaar made a profit the year before this opened.
Old June 5th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #29415
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Read this:

http://www.huliq.com/1/dubai-thanks-...ing-burj-dubai
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #29416

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
It was still not relevant to the renaming of the building. I didn't hear the words Emaar or Mohammed Allabar in there I only heard assumptions that was based on a shady article from the Guardian that always tries to bash Dubai. How can a ruler of a city who doesn't even own the building decide what it is called? It would have been the "Palm Khalifa" if Dubai renamed something because of that deal, since Nakheel is the property subsidiary of Dubai World that had/has financial troubles.
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #29417
gerald.d

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Its the elevator wich goes to "at the top"? I can recognise B1 and B2 buttons btw
Nope. This one only goes as high as the 3rd floor.
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #29418
gerald.d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiiscool:) View Post
It was still not relevant to the renaming of the building. I didn't hear the words Emaar or Mohammed Allabar in there I only heard assumptions that was based on a shady article from the Guardian that always tries to bash Dubai. How can a ruler of a city who doesn't even own the building decide what it is called? It would have been the "Palm Khalifa" if Dubai renamed something because of that deal, since Nakheel is the property subsidiary of Dubai World that had/has financial troubles.
I have it on very good authority that the Burj was renamed on the direct instruction of Sheikh Mohammed. Sheikh Khalifa knew nothing about it in advance.
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #29419
gerald.d

The lift to at.mosphere:

Old June 5th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #29420

Quote:
I have it on very good authority that the Burj was renamed on the direct instruction of Sheikh Mohammed. Sheikh Khalifa knew nothing about it in advance.
Is it because of the bail-out though?

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae