daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #29681
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

If you think about it, NYC doesn't have any money either, is all foreign invested in the Stock Market and US Goverment bonds.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #29682
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by miau View Post
Why did this happen? We all know, that there is an overabundance of units in Dubai, but I would have expected that the tallest building would be more in demand.
Better to be on the outside looking in, than on the inside looking out.

I'd take an apartment in the Address Downtown over one in the Burj any day of the week.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #29683
samdman

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
If you think about it, NYC doesn't have any money either, is all foreign invested in the Stock Market and US Goverment bonds.
You really don't understand economics
samdman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #29684
Beargb

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Yeah, I don't wanna get off topic but that's just not true. Especially the part about government bonds. The stock market is kinda a ridiculous claim too because those are global companies - of course they have investors from around the world.
Beargb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #29685
Sammo Haya

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty new yorker View Post
I like the looks of bk. It's image may seem iconic, but it really doesn't symbolize a prosperous economy, or anything to make it truly iconic in my opinion. I say this partially because of how slowly the residential space is being filled out, and also because of the valueless city it was built in. It is a shame, because I think Dubai is a beautiful city, but the emirates just doesn't have the money it likes to believe it does.
Even if it doesn't seem iconic in pictures, I'm sure that seeing it in real life would be much more amazing than seeing it on a forum. The same was with me and the ESB, which I saw on a trip to New York.
Sammo Haya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #29686
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdman View Post
You really don't understand economics
I've never gone broke, Wall Street did .... likewise ... I've never been in debt, US has always been.
I can cheat you blind.

Old July 28th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #29687
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD
I agree, and I think the only thing the new wtc has that is iconic is the fact that it is memorializing the old ones, and the 3,000 that died. If a 1000m building shot up somewhere in NYC in this economy, I'd sure be amazed, but I wouldn't label it as iconic aside from any other circumstances.
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #29688
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo Haya

Even if it doesn't seem iconic in pictures, I'm sure that seeing it in real life would be much more amazing than seeing it on a forum. The same was with me and the ESB, which I saw on a trip to New York.
I already think it is beautiful, perhaps the most beautiful maybe, just not iconic to me.
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #29689
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57921

No discussions about economy or other offtopic in here please. We've invented skybars for such purposes. Any further such posts will get deleted and user may get infractions or brigged. So just forget about it.

Perhaps we should move this to the Archives already...

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:42 AM   #29690
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3185

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
No discussions about economy or other offtopic in here please. We've invented skybars for such purposes. Any further such posts will get deleted and user may get infractions or brigged. So just forget about it.

Perhaps we should move this to the Archives already...
Good Idea! This should of been moved a year ago!!!
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #29691
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Why would it get moved to the archives ??

The term completed in the thread title is meaningless ....
The whole of the works of this project is not complete, therefore the project is still U/C.

- I think the 4 residential zones are complete but there is still no word on whether all the units have been handed over. We have heard various numbers of how many were handed over a few times so I expect we will hear when all are handed over.
- No word on whether the office zone is complete as far as Emaar is concerned, as in core and shell for all levels except the 3 level office suite which is complete.
- No word on whether 'The Offices' (annex) is complete (also core and shell I presume)
- 'The Club' (annex) is not open yet and since it will be open to the public we will surely hear about that. Also no word on whether it is complete.

All of the above has nothing to do with occupancy which obviously has nothing to do with completion.

As with all the other secretive things on this project we may never hear about the above points except for The Club opening, so do what you gotta do with the thread.
I have a sneaking suspicion that we are close to completion of the whole of the works but personally I will wait for some indications before I call it completed.

Ray.
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #29692
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

People are still able to post in the archives. I know this is your baby Fury, but I vote to move this one. There will still be plenty of pictures and articles of the tower on this forum in other threads.

We've moved plenty of other towers to the archives before they were "fully" complete.

This thread has run its course. Let's move it already.

Just my
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #29693
AltinD
The Modecator

People, this thread is not going to move anywhere else, anytime soon. This has been made clear over and over again by the powers that be.

Someone should just look beyond the tip of own nose and show some more attention to what others say.
I can cheat you blind.

Old July 29th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #29694
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8
SSC

Likes (Received): 843

hi all
I have not wrote but every day visited the thread.
Well just wanted to show my model of the Burj Dubai and say I'm a big fan of this building is but I consider myself just as fanatical as fury and like many others.

No doubt this building is a great work of architecture and engineering, which set a record in construction design for wind deflection characteristic touch or Arabic, and of course its technology so cutting edge.
And I think all of us who have followed its construction has been an unforgettable experience, despite the hundreds of kilometers away from Dubai, we saw the construction step by step and would not be possible thanks to Imre, Oldtown resident, altinD, 234sale , desert diver, gerald, etc.

I hope someday to go to dubai tower and know this person, doubtless love this building a great work of engineering and architec.

For now I leave my model photos of burj who had begun 5 months and still do not and over, I hope to open a forum for models and share photos of progress.

And a small suggestion as it seems not many people like to follow this thread, if you can not move along to another thread burj, in the section of the completed projects in Dubai. please

I hope you understand
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #29695
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2630

Lol, it's amazing!

Te esta quedando increible paisano!
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #29696
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

As the World's tallest man made structure, I vote for this thread to be made a sticky in the Supertalls subforum

It deserves it!!!!
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #29697
erbse
LIBERTINED

This is not about what a building deserves, but what its status is. And in fact the Burj Khalifa is completed, so I'll move it to the DN Archives in the coming days.

You can discuss Burj Khalifa elsewhere then, like there:

#COMPLETED: Burj Khalifa (formerly Burj Dubai), 162F Mixed-Use, 828m (DBD)

Old July 30th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #29698
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
People are still able to post in the archives. I know this is your baby Fury, but I vote to move this one. There will still be plenty of pictures and articles of the tower on this forum in other threads.

We've moved plenty of other towers to the archives before they were "fully" complete.

This thread has run its course. Let's move it already.

Just my
Hi Spectre.
As I said in my last post we may never hear about most of the zones being completed so they can do what they gotta do with the thread. My vote is for it to remain here untill we get some indication of completion but it really doesn't matter to me. I don't post here so it can be seen by the masses anyway. As you stated, the archived threads can be posted in and you can guarantee I will continue to post there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face81 View Post
As the World's tallest man made structure, I vote for this thread to be made a sticky in the Supertalls subforum

It deserves it!!!!
Hi Face.
There's a good idea ...

Quote:
People, this thread is not going to move anywhere else, anytime soon. This has been made clear over and over again by the powers that be.

Someone should just look beyond the tip of own nose and show some more attention to what others say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
This is not about what a building deserves, but what its status is. And in fact the Burj Khalifa is completed, so I'll move it to the DN Archives in the coming days.

You can discuss Burj Khalifa elsewhere then, like there:

#COMPLETED: Burj Khalifa (formerly Burj Dubai), 162F Mixed-Use, 828m (DBD)
Hi Guys.
Sounds good Altin. Who exactly are the powers that be, Jan ?

I realize there is more than one mod for this thread but Erbse, why do you act like you are the man and you will move the thread ? Don't the other mods get a vote ? As I stated above it matters not to me where this thread is on the forum but you sir are really pushing your 'authority" as mod in many threads and it is getting under peoples skin - including mine. For instance, why wank about people posting in color, then do it yourself in this very thread ??

Perhaps the admin can decide to move it, no problem, but then attempt to curb the over-moderation (by some) once there.

Ray.

Last edited by Fury; July 30th, 2011 at 06:08 AM.
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #29699
erbse
LIBERTINED

I posted in blue to indicate the mod's color (a tool of SSC's future) to grab attention for this proposal.

I don't decide anything alone here, though I could. It's not like moderators of this section have to discuss single thread movements.

We had several discussions about Burj Khalifa in the past and it turned out, after moving this to the Archives already 1 year ago, being moved out of the archives by other mods. A matter of misunderstandings there. In fact, we already had an agreement to move this. We're not discussing everything openly, don't forget about that.

I don't insist on my authority, please stop implying things like that.
I'm only looking for the clarity and quality of these sections and am quite busy with that. The WDN forums are in fact highly undermoderated, not the contrary. What you usually don't see is the massive amount of spam, advertisements and offtopic discussions that is kept off the threads. It's all moderator's spare time, we don't get paid for that. Please keep that in mind.

Old July 30th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #29700
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

I agree that this thread should have been moved a long time ago. Someone should also move The Torch thread too.
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae