daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #29721
VCollaborator

Likes (Received): 64

Burj Khalifa Tower Poking above Fog

Photo taken by flickr user: Andy Bullen on the 1st of April 2011

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewbullen/6011466264/
VCollaborator no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #29722
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Wow burij khalifa is going to lose its crown already one of the fastest reigns in buliding history.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #29723
Sammo Haya

Likes (Received): 0

Actually, since the Kingdom tower is so high, I estimate that the Burj Khalifa will hold its crown for at least 7 years, which will be needed for the 1000 meter tower to be built.
Sammo Haya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #29724
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2634

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolFan8080 View Post
So, I take it they are measuring the height all the way to the top of the needle? How much taller is this than the building in Dubai?

More importantly, will we see the "Build It Bigger" crew from the Science Channel out there? []
Since kingdom tower could be 1km high, it should be 172 meters taller than BK.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #29725
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

We will have to see if this one really gets built.
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 05:06 AM   #29726
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Burj Khalifa's 'top' residents must fast longer

Quote:
By Staff | Published Saturday, August 06, 2011

Muslims residing on top of the 80th floor in Dubai’s Burj Khalifa must delay their evening Iftar meal during Ramadan by two to three minutes as they see the sunset later, according to the Dubai Islamic Affairs Department.

Those residents should also start their daily fasting two minutes earlier on the grounds dawn descends on them before those living on lower levels, the Department said in a Fatwa (edict) published by Emarat Alyoum daily.

“Residents in Burj Khalifa should observe varied timings for iftar, sunset and dawn prayers depending on the level where live,” the paper said, quoting Ahmed Al Haddad, head of the Fatwa division at the department.

He said Muslims living on the 80-150 floors in the 828-metre tower, the world’s tallest structure, should delay their iftar meal by two minutes while those on the 151-160 floors should break their fasting three minutes late.

“Residents on 80-150 floors should also perform evening and night prayers two minutes late and dawn prayers two minutes earlier while those above the 150th level should delay their evening and night prayers by three minutes and bring forward dawn prayers by three minutes,” he said.

“This difference in timing on the 162-storey building is because sun sets later for residents on top floors while these residents are the first to see the sun at dawn.”
http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...08-06-1.411516
Old August 7th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #29727
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Hi Paris.

Thanx for posting.
I guess there is no research in journalism these days. A large percentage of the many hundreds of articles I have on the BK have errors ...

- No one lives above 108.
- The highest tenant level is 154 (office).

Ray.
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #29728
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Kingdom aims to overtake Burj Khalifa as tallest tower in 5 years

Kingdom Tower will feature a Four Seasons hotel, luxury condominiums and offices

By APPublished Sunday, August 07, 2011

The investment company headed by Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal says it plans to complete the world's tallest tower in just over five years time.

The Kingdom Holding Co did not say Sunday when work would begin on the Kingdom Tower.

The $1.2 billion tower will be roughly two-thirds of a mile (1 kilometer) high. It is part of a $20 billion mega project on the outskirts of the Red Sea city of Jiddah.

The tower will be built by the Saudi Binladen Group construction conglomerate. It will cost $400 million and feature a Four Seasons hotel, luxury condominiums and offices that encompass around 5.4 million square feet.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...08-07-1.411790
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #29729
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

^

Lets see if this one really gets built !!!

Last edited by erbse; August 8th, 2011 at 02:47 AM.
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #29730
Imre
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Lets see if this one really gets built !!!
Why not, what is few billion usd for them?

Its already approved.
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #29731
Imre
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
I guess there is no research in journalism these days. A large percentage of the many hundreds of articles I have on the BK have errors ...

- No one lives above 108.
- The highest tenant level is 154 (office).

Ray.
The whole article is totally useless , I cant see the point..
Even if its true the 2-3 minutes makes any differences ?

Old August 8th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #29732
Леонид
Espartano

Likes (Received): 794

i wanna marry that indian guy living on the 21rst floor!! jajaajaj

Airports visited:
SAP - TGU - RTB - LCE - SAL - SJO - MIA - IAH - MFE - ATL - EWR - ALC - MAD - BCN - SVQ - FCO - BVA - VLC - BRQ - BTS - DOH - DXB - MXP - JFK - MEX - LHR - IAD - GUA - GDL - TPA - MCI - IND - DFW - GJT - DEN - FLL

My 10 top planes:
A340-600 / B777-300 / A330-300 / B787 / B747 / A350 / A380 / B727 / B737 / EMB190
Леонид no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #29733
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50799

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #29734
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

Awesome friends...Love the BD shines under Sun.....
firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #29735
charles54
ARCHITECT

Likes (Received): 39

is that the adress to the right? stunning pics oasis
charles54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #29736
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 142

but why? Is there demand?

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #29737
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Dubai flat in Burj Khalifa up for sale at Dh25m

Quote:
Kevin Brass | Aug 8, 2011

( Jaime Puebla - The National Newspaper )

The four-bedroom apartment is on the 87th floor of Burj Khalifa and includes the highest residential terrace in the tower. It is one of only six four-bedroom apartments in the Burj Khalifa with terraces.

"There are only six of these units in the world and there will be a premium to be paid," said George Malakos, an agent with Elysian Real Estate who is marketing the apartment.
http://www.thenational.ae/thenationa...-sale-at-dh25m
Old August 10th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #29738
EMPIREOFLIGHTS
FINISH THE CHICAGO SPIRE

Likes (Received): 2

Burj Khalifa models

I knowticed there are a few out there and a new one was released in paper book form on Amazon and other places. Anyone have any feedback on the detail of any of these? Some I've seen out there look sort of stumpy. thanks
EMPIREOFLIGHTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:02 AM   #29739
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

The security obstacles of the Burj Khalifa
Published: Thursday, August 18, 2011 with 0 Comments

By Rebecca McLaughlin-Duane www.thenational.ae

Keeping safe and sound is one thing, but I seem to be able to pass through high-security airport checkpoints with greater ease than I do my own car park these days.

Despite the fact I haven’t changed my car nor my appearance since I moved in, the security guards in my building still look at me suspiciously, asking for my allotted parking number on a regular basis.

And yet these flimsy, rusting, car park gates are as inefficient as barn doors in a gale, compared with the security that residents enjoy at Burj Khalifa. Upon a recent visit to a friend’s newly rented apartment, I stumbled spectacularly at the very first security hurdle.

With Dh25 already on the cab metre, the amount had almost reached Dh40 before the barrier to the exclusive residence was lifted. Try as I might to spell and respell my painfully long and complicated name to the security guard, or pass him the resident on my phone, the barrier remained down for such a long period of time that I started to question whether Justin Beiber hadn’t unexpectedly dropped in for tea and put the place on high alert.

When I was finally allowed to step foot inside Fort Knox, I signed in and made my way to the lifts only to realise that I didn’t have the relevant security pass to allow me to scale the iconic building’s heady heights. Once a staff member appeared and cheerily sent me on my way to level 43, the same problem presented itself. As I emerged from the lift, a sleek, teak receptionist’s desk stretched out before me. Yet no receptionist was to be found. Also conspicuously absent was any sort of a phone signal, rendering me unable to call my friend for a rescue; the same friend who must have – by this time – thought I was scaling the outside of the building with sucker pads à la Spider-Man.

Finally, a white knight appeared in the form of an unknown resident, who swiped the magic black panel within the lift that then zoomed me at ear-popping speed to the 60th floor. After inspecting the beautiful apartment, a tour of the building was in order and as I was whisked around a maze of floors and rooms it dawned on me that should my pal and I ever became separated, I would probably never find my way

http://burj-khalifa.eu/tourist-attra...e-burj-khalifa

Haute Eat: At.mosphere
Published: Thursday, July 28, 2011 with 0 Comments

Posted By Rebecca Anne Proctor www.hauteliving.com

High on top the 122nd floor of the Burj Khalifa is a special place: At.mosphere. Recently opened but a few months prior, the restaurant has already awed Dubai residents and travelers to the region.

Atmosphere’s sumptuously decorated interiors by renowned hotel designer Adam Tihany feature warm mahogany walls and ceilings with a high gloss finishing, Tihany furniture, hand-tufted carpet and floors of cafe au lait colored limestone. Such rich decor echoes the divine nature of this epitome of gourmet heaven.

We were served from the Summer Menu, a list of dishes specifically tailored to the season. Our meal began with a refreshing starter entitled Watermelon made with Persian feta cheese and heirloom tomatoes and Langoustines featuring steamed courgette flower and baby peas. The restaurant’s knowledgeable sommelier paired our first few dishes with a 2009 Pascal Jolivet Sancerrre Rosé from the Loire Valley, a rare and distinct rosé made from Pinot Noire and featuring a delicate strawberry and fruit aroma.

As each dish was served we marveled at the presentation and dainty size. Delectably concocted to be sure, what we didn’t expect was such an artistic presentation; colors and forms were arranged in such a way as if it to represent an artistic still-life. The Foies Gras was an immediate hit. Featuring smoked spelt risotto, sweet wine jelly, and ginger bread, the plate’s small size was made up through an explosion of rich tastes further heightened through the coupling of different hot and cold ingredients. The cool texture of the sweet wine jelly was juxtaposed against the warm risotto uniquely enlivened the palette to a wonder of flavors.

For the main dish we opted for the catch of the day which we were told had been specially flown in and prepared in order to maintain freshness. A delicate sea bass arrived served with pureed peas and coupled with a light 2008 Chablis Premier Cru Fourchaume from Burgundy, France. The Chablis featured an enticing creamy nose with clean mineral notes and a muted palate which was juxtaposed nicely with the fresh and decadently simple nature of the fish. We were explained that the restaurant uses what is called a Josper Oven. Originating in Spain, this wood stove charcoal broiler oven doesn’t use gas and therefore guarantees a product’s freshness.

On to the dessert, we were served a 2007 Chateau Batailley 5eme cru classé from Bordeaux, France alongside a beautifully sculpted chocolate mousse with thyme ice cream. The Jivara, as it was called, was served in such a precise form with thin squares of chocolate positioned in box-like formation complete with a long string of caramel balancing on the top, that it almost appeared to be a maquette for an architectural construction. Enraptured by its creation, we were hesitant to eat what appeared to be such a meticulously crafted sweet. The taste was heavenly. Rich, smooth, and creamy; the richness of the mousse was further heightened by the earthy taste of the thyme and the nutty nose of the Chateau Batailley. Divine. A final treat were petite madeleines served fresh from the oven.

The sophisticated ambiance and regal nature of the cuisine seemed to have transported us to another place and time. We had dined in the world’s highest restaurant, a fact which certainly added to our wonderment.

The At.mosphere Grill goes beyond it’s altitude. It is in a class of its own.

http://burj-khalifa.eu/featured/haute-eat-at-mosphere

I'm still looking for articles pertaining to completion, or at least on the opening of 'The Club'.
It can't be much longer ....

Ray.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:00 PM   #29740
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles54 View Post
is that the adress to the right?
Is your screen mirrored?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae