daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #29761
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
... I think I remember it was from a forumer who would climb the sand hill that was close to the site for a time.
That would be 'smussuw', but I think he was taking pictures later then that.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #29762
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240812

Quote:
The plans call levels 19 to 37 'hotel residences'. Levels 9 to 16 are the 'Armani residences'.
All the residences are apartments :
- Residential zone 1 - levels 9 to 16 - Armani residences
- Residential zone 2 - levels 19 to 37 - hotel residences
- Residential zone 3 - levels 44 to 72 - residences
- Residential zone 4 - levels 76 to 108 - luxury residences
The plans show level 76 as luxury residential as well as skylobby and amenities
OK then; i believe they should write hotel armani residences in the level info...
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #29763
Darth Shemp
Armani

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The one crawling up sand hill to take pics was Dubai Lover. I loved his updates because his quality pics came with a short story of his excursion.
He was one of the best.
Anybody can spend money on equipment and take pics of it today, but only 2 or 3 were there during the rare times of early construction:
Altin
Smussuw
Dubai Lover

Last edited by Darth Shemp; August 29th, 2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #29764
jonny.rotten13

As an owner of a couple of units here, the units between 19-37 are residences just like the ones on higher levels [except Armani has a couple of floors at 39]. Levels 19-37 are not hotel residences. The lower floors like 19-26 are more valuable when they face the amazing fountain. The higher floors are more valuable when they are on opposite view, like sea and SZR. The dancing fountain from high up is ok, but not as amazing like from lower floors.
jonny.rotten13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #29765
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

As I posted levels 19 to 37 are called hotel residences in the plans.
As I also posted all 4 of the residential zones are simply residences and have nothing to do with the hotel ...
The hotel units are on levels 5 to 8 and 38, 39.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Shemp View Post
The one crawling up sand hill to take pics was Dubai Lover. I loved his updates because his quality pics came with a short story of his excursion.
He was one of the best.
Anybody can spend money on equipment and take pics of it today, but only 2 or 3 were there during the rare times of early construction:
Altin
Smussuw
Dubai Lover
Hi guys.

I don't recall who it was but I remember his tales of the hill alright.
I could search through sometime and find his posts since I have all 30 BK threads saved.

Here is pic #4 from my construction slideshow folder.

05 07 07

Full size - 1280 by 853

http://min.us/lb0StGzcMBoe6d

As we can see, the shot is taken from the sandhill outside the site fence on the South side. Core area C1 on the left side in the shot is formed for the ground level. The other 2 core areas are formed for the second pour of the concourse level. The 6.0 meter high concourse level was done in 2 pours of 4.0 and 2.0 meters. The ground level was done in one 4.0 meter pour. Wing C facing us and facing South has its climbing forms complete and ready to ascend with the other 2 getting close.

The trucks in the foreground have concrete blocks on them they piled up on frames with hydraulic jacks under them pushing down as pile tests.

The top of the highest core walls are 19.25 meters above the raft and 14.0 meters high as per the official measure.

Here is page 13 of my plan to help illustrate up to the ground level.

Edit. I just looked at the original post in thread #4.
Posted by dubaiflo as 'update by smussuw'.
My next pic is from the same location and after looking up the original post, is also from smussuw.
Sorry Darth.

Ray.

Last edited by Fury; August 31st, 2011 at 05:08 AM.
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #29766
AltinD
The Modecator

Though, I think it was 'ze tall German' Dubai_Lover who first climbed that hill, and then smussuw followed and took a number of updates for some times from there.
I can cheat you blind.

Old August 30th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #29767
AltinD
The Modecator

Anyway, it's kind a nostalgic to go back in time. We in the UAE forum, were a bunch of enthusiasts of different nationalities, age groups and backgrounds, but we were all like a bunch of kids in a candy store. The forum was such a great comunity back then, and we were all having a great time, while staying on topic.
I can cheat you blind.

Old August 30th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #29768
Baptiste

Does anybody know where can I find the floor plan of the Burj Khalifa's apartments?
Baptiste no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 05:06 AM   #29769
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Hi Altin.
I'm glad to hear this is bringing up some nostalgia for others and not just me. This thread needed some action and I figured I could bring some enjoyment.

Hi Baptiste.
Here is a drawing of levels 9 to 16 - the Armani residences.

Very large.

http://min.us/lnmFXWzSMORy4

The plans were revised since this drawing as there are 144 Armani residences, not 152. Instead of 19 units per level there are 18 but it gives one the general idea.

Here is pic 5 from my construction slideshow folder.

05 08 20 - Taken by smussuw

Full size - 1440 by 959

http://min.us/lbpukdiHtjr2II

As we can see the shot is taken from the same sandhill on the South side as the last shot. Production really ramped up in the last month, now that the forms are complete. The core is formed for level 5 on the left side (C1). In the core on the side we can see (C2) they have poured the floors of levels B2 and B1. They have formed for the floor of the concourse level and have just started for the floor of the ground level. The ground level and levels 1 to 4 are 4.0 meters high and were poured in one step each.

The 2 wings we can see (B and C) are formed for the ground level. They are working on pouring the wing slabs of level B2. The floor of the unused raft level is the raft itself.

Last month they installed the first construction lift (as seen in other shots in my collection). As of this shot there are 3 construction lifts installed - one on each wing next to the core.

The top of the core walls (of level 5) are 38.95 meters above the raft and 33.70 meters high as per the official CTBUH measure.

I added page 13 of my plan to go with the last post - I will post the pages as the structure gets up to the top level of each page.

I won't get into the podium progress with this series. If this goes over reasonably I may do another series from my site aerial slideshow folder - it has shots starting much earlier than this folder.

Please post if you all are liking this.

Ray.

Last edited by Fury; August 31st, 2011 at 05:20 AM.
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 09:59 AM   #29770
AltinD
The Modecator

I for sure am enjoying this, and it is indeed a fantastic idea to bring back the timeline of progress on the tower. Not only for us oldies who experienced it, but for the newer interested members of the forum too.

Of course great also to keep the thread alive and interesting for times to come.
I can cheat you blind.

Old August 31st, 2011, 10:04 AM   #29771
AltinD
The Modecator

I shall check my galleries and parallel with Fury, might also post some of mines if there's an interesting back-story (that I remember) on taking that particular picture, or in general during the photoshoot that day.
I can cheat you blind.

Old August 31st, 2011, 07:46 PM   #29772
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Eid Mubarak

gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:15 AM   #29773
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Quote:
I for sure am enjoying this, and it is indeed a fantastic idea to bring back the timeline of progress on the tower. Not only for us oldies who experienced it, but for the newer interested members of the forum too.

Of course great also to keep the thread alive and interesting for times to come.
Quote:
I shall check my galleries and parallel with Fury, might also post some of mines if there's an interesting back-story (that I remember) on taking that particular picture, or in general during the photoshoot that day.
Hi Altin.
Happy to hear your liking it.
Please do share some stories.

Hi Gerald.
Nice shot man.

Here is pic #6 from my construction slideshow folder.

05 09 23 From Emporis.

This pic is taken from a different side than the last two. Core area C1 is facing us. From other shots from around the same time I can see the core walls are formed for level 9 and the highest wing (wing A on the left side) is formed for level 3. The Armani hotel levels (5 to 8) are 3.7 meters high and 9 to 15 are 3.2.

The core slabs are formed up to level 4 on this side. They didn't pour level 2 on this side or levels 2 and 4 on C2 side. The wing slabs are being formed for level B1 - hidden in this shot.

As we can see, two of the tower cranes are now up and running as well as all 4 concrete booms (1 on each wing and 1 on the core).

The top of the core walls are 53.25 meters above the raft and 48.0 meters high as per the official measure.

There are so many more great shots I could use but I decided at the start of this that I would only use the monthly shots I put in my construction slideshow folder.

As I already posted I may do another from my site aerial slideshow folder after this is done. I could also do something with the old threads I have saved - not sure what though. I find some of the comments from back then interesting. I even have some from a different forum from 02 and 03 when news of the project was first getting out.

Are Altin and I the only ones liking this ?
Chime in all.

Ray.
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM   #29774
christos-greece
Moderator!

The construction of Burj Khalifa started in 2005 around September?
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:10 AM   #29775
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

Eid Mubarak to all my friends.....
firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:10 AM   #29776
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
Eid Mubarak

Beautiful.....Eid Mubarak.....
firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:08 PM   #29777
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

Very nice indeed!
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 06:47 PM   #29778
segwaert

what a fantastic tower!! this is the way how to build a landmark. i wish this height and type of design would be the new standard for skyscrapers all over the world. dubai shows the world how to make a good looking new city
segwaert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:25 AM   #29779
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
The construction of Burj Khalifa started in 2005 around September?
Hi Christos.

The construction phase started in 03 11 with surveying and excavating in 03 12. I have a site aerial shot from 04 01 showing the site fully excavated and all of the de-watering system in place, also some equipment and materials on site. But that is for another series from my site aerial slideshow folder.

Here is pic #7 from my construction slideshow folder.

05 10 23 Taken by ... AltinD - The Carnut - 3734 posts at that time.

Core area C1 is facing us. The highest core walls formed are on level 13 and the wings are formed for levels 6 and 7. The first level numbers painted on the structure can be seen on the second vertical wall from the core, on wing C (on the right). 1, 2, and 3 can be seen under the forms.

The core slabs on the C1 side we can see are formed for the floor of level 9. The wing slabs of wing C are formed for the floor of level 1.

All 3 tower cranes (M1 to M3) are erected and working. As we can see the structure is now well above the height of the tallest podium cranes. The top of level 13 core walls are 66.05 meters above the raft and 60.8 meters high as per the official measure.

Here is something I did up years ago as part of my plan comparison folder. It shows the levles from raft to 6. It also shows the level numbers (on the extreme right) I referred to above.

Ray.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:41 PM   #29780
christos-greece
Moderator!

Quote:
Hi Christos.

The construction phase started in 03 11 with surveying and excavating in 03 12. I have a site aerial shot from 04 01 showing the site fully excavated and all of the de-watering system in place, also some equipment and materials on site. But that is for another series from my site aerial slideshow folder.
Exactly is the info that i needed; thanks Fury

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae