daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #30201
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
I haven't been there in 1½ month, but there were no lights on at night on the two annexes.
Hi Altin.

Thanks for the response.
The fact they aren't working 24 hours a day on the annexes says completed to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
I'll ask my chums at Emaar next time I see them as to whether or not they consider it complete.

It's definitely complete as per the definition that seems to be used 'round these parts when compared to other buildings. Simply because parts of it aren't fitted out (and when it comes to the office space, some fit outs could surely be months or even years away), doesn't to me mean it's incomplete.
Hi Gerald.

Thanks for the response.
Please do let me know what your buddies at Emaar have to say.
I agree with you.
1 - I realize all (or most) of the office space (except for the corporate suite) will be fitted out by the tenants to suit their needs and that could take years. I refer to Emaar's obligation of core and shell fitout only, in regards to completion of the whole of the works.
2 - The council calls a project complete when it is topped out, fully clad, and any part of it is occupiable. So, by their definition the BK was complete the day after inauguration. I think most, like you, agree with this definition. I may even agree with this but I am referring to completion of the whole of the works.

I would still like to hear some more opinions but I have to agree with the three I have gotten so far (incl. Vito). I will probably call this thing fully completed some months ago. I will post on what date I decide to go with.

Ray.

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #30202
Student4life

Likes (Received): 43

Altin , awesome video !
Great pics , Imre .
Student4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #30203
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240884

Yesterday i managed to see the movie "Mission Impossible, Ghost Protocol". The movie was great, and especially on Burj Khalifa scenes

The interior shots as i see in the movie are taken in the entrance (i dont know which one, if you also have seen the movie probably know) and in Corporate Suites (on 130th floor). It was great to see fight scenes on the interior of Burj Khalifa (in one of those suites, which re-decorated in the movie).

And i have the question (you may have seen the movie to answer this):
The "server room/level" as i saw, exists on Burj Khalifa and which floor?
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #30204
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post
Some Eurofighter Typhoon images from BAE System's flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bae_systemsplc/

They were taken on 16 and 17 Nov over the UAE.

image hosted on flickr
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #30205
charles54
ARCHITECT

Likes (Received): 39

that pic looks awesome the only thing better than a euro fighter typhoon is a euro fighter typhoon with burj khalifa!
charles54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #30206
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamadeeni/
Old December 18th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #30207
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

Above picture is like Dubai an American Canadian city.....Chicago-Toranto where lots of cruising bots presence at marina......
firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #30208
Desert Diver
Just add water

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
I would still like to hear some more opinions
I would also say it's completed. Some offices may yet be waiting to be furnished, but as common in Dubai, this might only happen when the future tenants decide how to draw partition walls etc.

This only provided that not all BK offices are supposed to be rented out fully furnished, of course

There is definitely no major interior work going on. Until a couple of months ago you could see multiple floors being lit up with neon light (the type you certainly wouldn't choose for an office or an apartment). This has stopped, as far as I am concerned.

Cheers
Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #30209
Imre
Dubai

Quote:
I would still like to hear some more opinions
Completion date was 04/January/2010 , just IMO
Old December 18th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #30210
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3188

As much as I love the Burj, I have to say. There are people living in the building. Lets archive this thread...
Munwon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #30211
Imre
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by pictureman View Post
any more pics?
2 more:

[IMG]http://i44.************/dfj4sj.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i40.************/11huvtc.jpg[/IMG]

some old pics from youtube:

Old December 19th, 2011, 02:54 AM   #30212
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
Completion date was 04/January/2010 , just IMO
Hi Imre.

Thanks for the response.

The CTBUH agrees (well, technically 10 01 05, the way I read it) as well as many people. I agree with this definition also:
1 - topped out
2 - Fully clad
3 - At least partially occupiable.

What I am looking for is completion of the whole of the works.
Let me clarify:
1 - I mean only the developer's obligation in regards to the office space. I realize they only do a shell and core fitout to most of the space. An exception is the corporate suite that is completed (a pic spread was done months ago).
2 - This completion has nothing to do with occupancy, just the developers obligation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Diver View Post
I would also say it's completed. Some offices may yet be waiting to be furnished, but as common in Dubai, this might only happen when the future tenants decide how to draw partition walls etc.

This only provided that not all BK offices are supposed to be rented out fully furnished, of course

There is definitely no major interior work going on. Until a couple of months ago you could see multiple floors being lit up with neon light (the type you certainly wouldn't choose for an office or an apartment). This has stopped, as far as I am concerned.

Cheers
Hi Desert.

Thanks for the response.

I realize the office space will be fitout by tenants for the most part. Again I only mean the developers obligation in regards to completion of the whole of the works.

The night lighting, so work could continue through the night is one of the factors I was thinking about for over a year already. Your observations as well as Altin's on the annexes are the only real thing we have to go by. The other factors I was waiting to hear about really aren't important now - we may never hear anything.

I have decided to call it fully complete (again - as far as the developers obligations are concerned). As for the date I choose, it will be arbitrary at this point. Somewhere from 3 to 6 months ago I reckon.

I will post on what I decide.
Busy proofreading and fixing errors in my historical thread.

Ray.
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:25 AM   #30213
Imre
Dubai

Quote:
Hi Imre.

Thanks for the response.

The CTBUH agrees (well, technically 10 01 05, the way I read it) as well as many people. I agree with this definition also:
1 - topped out
2 - Fully clad
3 - At least partially occupiable.

What I am looking for is completion of the whole of the works.
Let me clarify:
1 - I mean only the developer's obligation in regards to the office space. I realize they only do a shell and core fitout to most of the space. An exception is the corporate suite that is completed (a pic spread was done months ago).
2 - This completion has nothing to do with occupancy, just the developers obligation.
Welcome Fury,

At the UAE/Dubai section moderators moving the project to the completed section when structure done, cladding done , no cranes and scaffolding, fence/board removed , DEWA (electricity and water) connected.Another question is the handover, sometimes it happened after 1 year of completion..

Anyway , Burj Khalifa Daily is out

http://paper.li/ImreSolt/1324267254

Old December 19th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #30214
Sani Ramic
Art Director

Likes (Received): 130

Sani Ramic
Home is where your story begins...
Traveler / Photographer / Construction Foreman / Art Director / PR Manger

Sani Ramic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #30215
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Quote:
Welcome Fury,

At the UAE/Dubai section moderators moving the project to the completed section when structure done, cladding done , no cranes and scaffolding, fence/board removed , DEWA (electricity and water) connected.Another question is the handover, sometimes it happened after 1 year of completion..

Anyway , Burj Khalifa Daily is out

http://paper.li/ImreSolt/1324267254

Hi Imre.

Awesome man.

I will be checking it out for sure.

Ray.
Old December 20th, 2011, 05:34 AM   #30216
Imre
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Yesterday i managed to see the movie "Mission Impossible, Ghost Protocol". The movie was great, and especially on Burj Khalifa scenes

The interior shots as i see in the movie are taken in the entrance (i dont know which one, if you also have seen the movie probably know) and in Corporate Suites (on 130th floor). It was great to see fight scenes on the interior of Burj Khalifa (in one of those suites, which re-decorated in the movie).

And i have the question (you may have seen the movie to answer this):
The "server room/level" as i saw, exists on Burj Khalifa and which floor?
I think it was in the studio in Hollywood or somewhere else
Also the interior of Burj Khalifa is something different or maybe they have used a special floor but I doubt.

Still no idea why they used fake Dubai plate numbers , the correct is one letter and after numbers like N 12345 but in the film was first numbers and after letters like 12345 N etc ..
Old December 20th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #30217
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

Quote:
Also the interior of Burj Khalifa is something different or maybe they have used a special floor but I doubt.

Still no idea why they used fake Dubai plate numbers , the correct is one letter and after numbers like N 12345 but in the film was first numbers and after letters like 12345 N etc ..
Also most of the part of Mumbai shot in Dubai......The hotel shown in Mumbai was in Taj Palm Jumerah and automatic parking wasnt in Mumbai....
firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #30218
DXBQuantum

Location: From - London, Work - Dubai, Ski - Colorado, Fly - New Zealand
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by firoz bharmal View Post
Also most of the part of Mumbai shot in Dubai......The hotel shown in Mumbai was in Taj Palm Jumerah and automatic parking wasnt in Mumbai....
Its not the Taj.

It was filmed in Zabeel Saray, Jumeirah hotel.

(Go visit, that hotel is top class)

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
DXBQuantum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #30219
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:

They have filmed on empty top office floors, not on the hotel levels at the bottom. The room decoration were just a mock up. What plate numbers are you refering to, cause I don't remember to have seen anything unusual.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #30220
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by firoz bharmal View Post
The Automatic Parking is in Wolsburg in Germany, the VW Autostadt, where people get deliveries of their cars from factory (if they so wish). They seams to have filmed nothing in India. All were elsewhere, some in Dubai, some on other places I couldn't recognize.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae