daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #30261
charles54
ARCHITECT

Likes (Received): 39

nice shot, whats that castle like structure in the foreground?
charles54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #30262
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Parking lot and services facilities for the (Old Town Island) complex.

BTW, the pic is actually a stitched panorama
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #30263
Axel_F

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles54 View Post
nice shot, whats that castle like structure in the foreground?
The new "Old Town Dubai Downtown". AltinD was faster like everytime Btw. The pic is also MORE then one year old.
Axel_F no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #30264
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Right, I missed the cranes and unfinished cladding on the twins behind the tower
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #30265
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

RTA announces operation plan of public transport during New Year’s celebrations at Burj Khalifa

Dubai Metro to continue service round the clock

63 buses, 4000 taxicabs deployed to transit commuters to Burj Khalifa

The Roads & Transport Authority – Mohammed Al Munji:
His Excellency Mattar Al Tayer, Chairman of the Board & Executive Director of the Roads & Transport Authority (RTA), announced the master plan for the management of traffic and public transport means spanning the Dubai Metro (Burj Khalifa Station, Financial Center Station, Business Bay Station), public buses, and taxis during the New Year’s celebrations at Burj Khalifa area in order to streamline the traffic flow and ease the mobility of visitors from and to the event venue.

“The plan, which was developed by RTA’s External Events Organization Team in coordination with the General HQ of Dubai Police and Emaar, features the integration of multi-modal transit systems as well as traffic systems to ease the mobility of people from and to Burj Khalifa area. The plan includes expanding the operational hours of the Dubai Metro into a non-stop service past the midnight of Sunday 1st January (24 hours) and slashing the service frequency (headway) to 3 minutes in the stations from Al Rashidiya up to Ibn Battuta during the peak hours from after 12.00 am (past the midnight) and up to 05:30 am, whereas the service frequency during the off-peak time will range from 4 to 10 minutes. The metro service at Burj Khalifa has been enhanced through separating the entry & exit points, improving the operational efficiency of the station, and installing four additional gates as well as modifying two gates in order to ease the public mobility within the station and avoid thronging the station by visitors during this period, besides improving the movement in the Financial Center Station and Business Bay Station,” said “Al Tayer.

“The RTA, in coordination with the Dubai World Trade Center and Meydan, has made preparations for utilizing the existing parking space in order to create about 10,000 parking slots and provide access to the venue through express bus service. RTA will deploy 63 articulated, double deck and standard buses to shuttle from the parking lots of Meydan Racecourse, Dubai World Trade Center, General Directorate of Residency & Foreigners Affairs, and Zabeel Park, through a dedicated express lane leading to the events venue. It will also deploy about 4000 taxicabs to work round the clock which are expected to make more than 30,000 trips from and to Burj Khalifa.

“The Boulevard Street at Burj Khalifa will be closed once the parking slots are full to avoid potential traffic congestions in the area. RTA will also reset the programmed timing of the key light signals on the Financial Center Street to fit the traffic volumes generated during the peak hours, and deploy makeshift virtual messaging signs on the main roads to alert commuters about the condition of the parking space in Dubai Mall.

“Due attention has been made to the maximum capacity of all available transit systems to enable transiting about 400,000 persons to the event site (Burj Khalifa) from 07:00 am up to 12.00 am (after midnight) expected to lift about 260,000 commuters at the Financial Center, Burj Khalifa, and Business Bay stations of Dubai Metro. About 50,000 passengers are expected to be served by public buses from and to the specified parking facilities, 51,000 passengers through the taxicabs, and 50,000 commuters at the Dubai Mall parking space. Departure service from the venue will start at 12.30 am up to 05.30 am and the maximum of transit means will be 263,000 persons, of which 151,000 persons for Dubai Metro, 50,000 persons for public buses, 12,000 persons for taxicabs, and 50,000 persons for commuters using Dubai Mall parking space,” added the Chairman of the Board & Executive Director of the RTA.

Al Tayer called on road users and various public transport users to cooperate with the organizers to streamline the traffic & mobility flow as well as the workers at the Dubai Metro Stations to ensure smooth & safe transit mobility.

More info:

http://burjdubaiphotos.blogspot.com/...of-public.html
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #30266
IU
->

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
I saw it on IMAX too. Are you sure you aren't talking about the cars on the party reception, that supposedly were in India?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
The Dubai number plates were definitely wrong - as Imre says, numbers followed by a letter.

The other blooper that everyone seems to have missed is that when there's a close-up of the iPhone screen when they're in Dubai, it has AT&T as the operator logo
The number plate on the BMW i8 that was part of the Mumbai section was also wrong. We have 2 letters (initial of state) followed by numbers. That hotel scene was shot in Dubai btw. Apart from 2 street scenes from Mumbai, the rest was shot in Bangalore.
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #30267
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Hey just wanted to chime in as well to say that all the parts of MI:4 showing the Burj were absolutely fantastic . I mean, we as tower fans know the hotel doesn't extend into the 110s-130s but I thought the private residences or suites did. Didn't know about the license plates and servers and small little details that'd get overlooked (but posted on movie sites like that) but I still found it highly enjoyable!

Totally makes me want to visit it even more. The decor was lovely, and just to see the beauty of the interior (not that I had expected any less), was wonderful. Do yourself a favor, spend the extra and see it in IMAX (if possible) if you're a Burj fan. Totally worth it!

I had a feeling that the nice palace party toward the later part might have been called as being in India yet filmed somewhere else. Nice to know it's still in Dubai - and indeed if that was a hotel, looked top notch quality. Keep in mind of course that when it comes to making movies, there are all kinds of filming vs real inconsistencies that seem to happen all the time for ease of production.

Granted this may be a bit stereotypical but for that India party VS what is seeminly in Dubai, the average American couldn't probably tell the difference .

My thought / question for you local guys (which I'll have to see if they ever release a making-of DVD or such), is if the sandstorms are ever that bad? I figure it's interpolated and layered several times from the air to appear more menacing (not that I'd want to be in one) but I mean, make it appear worse than it is. From the ground I could imagine it being pretty nasty to be caught in one though.

Re: ancient servers. Hey, buy them cheap, hook 'em up, make it look impressive, and since most people aren't server IT, they wouldn't know the difference (and you save filming costs) ;p. Even for the amount of work I do, they looked modern to me but I couldn't read the names well other than seeing Dell briefly.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #30268
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

is there any pics of the finished swimming pool please ?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 03:27 AM   #30269
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Hi Real.

Residential goes up to 108, office space above that.

I've heard good reviews on the BK part of the film other than some inaccuracies. I can't wait to see it.

Ray.
Old December 28th, 2011, 04:48 AM   #30270
miagsdfs
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Just a question which I posted back in the previous but no answer http://0x43.org/3564
miagsdfs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #30271
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sock View Post
is there any pics of the finished swimming pool please ?
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #30272
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 295

Being able to swim from interior to exterior is very cool. The water itself acts as a door to keep air from flowing through. I've never seen that done before. If there is a pressure differential (due to HVAC system, wind, and/or difference in temperature/humidity, etc.) between the inside and the outside of the building, then I'd expect the water level to be slightly different inside vs. outside, but probably only by a couple millimeters.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #30273
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Nice photos of pools in dubai.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.
skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #30274
Lion007
Lion007

Likes (Received): 9070

WOW it has pools.
Lion007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #30275
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Burj Khalifa New Year Eve's broadcast by DMI

Quote:
By Staff | Published Wednesday, December 28, 2011

To mark the ringing-in of 2012, Dubai Media Incorporated (DMI) will broadcast to the world the impressive fireworks display that will benefit from the iconic Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building, as its centerpiece.
http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...12-28-1.434906
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #30276
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

Imre.....inside of BK with pool looking awesome....craving to spend some time there.....is it part of Armani ?.....
firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #30277
Student4life

Likes (Received): 43

Superb pics . Imagine swimming there !
Student4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #30278
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
Being able to swim from interior to exterior is very cool. The water itself acts as a door to keep air from flowing through. I've never seen that done before. If there is a pressure differential (due to HVAC system, wind, and/or difference in temperature/humidity, etc.) between the inside and the outside of the building, then I'd expect the water level to be slightly different inside vs. outside, but probably only by a couple millimeters.
Some weeks ago i watched a video on youtube about an apartment on Burj Khalifa, 4 bedrooms plus study room etc etc and with a small swimming pool on the exterior of this particurarly apartment, but i dont remember in which floor btw.
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #30279
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
There's no pressure difference inside/outside the pool because the water level isn't as high as the opening.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #30280
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
My thought / question for you local guys (which I'll have to see if they ever release a making-of DVD or such), is if the sandstorms are ever that bad? I figure it's interpolated and layered several times from the air to appear more menacing (not that I'd want to be in one) but I mean, make it appear worse than it is. From the ground I could imagine it being pretty nasty to be caught in one though.
The sandstorms are never that bad in Dubai.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae