daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #30421
Wigz

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Ok nice idea I'll wait for it.
Unfortunately the hard drive that the server was on just failed, so I will have to restart it in the future. :/
Wigz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #30422
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240870

I remember few days ago we had a discussion here about the price of Burj Khalifa apartments; now i will ask, do we know -possibly number- how many units - apartments (studios, 1 bedroom, 2 bedrooms, 3, 4 etc) are in BK?
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #30423
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10139

i was lucky to watch the latest tom cruise flick mission impossible4. great movie. burj khalifa looked incredible really impressded. people next to me said how great are the graphics! that building looks real! obvioulsy way to tall to be real. lol i told them later it was very real and to google it.
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #30424
asaibiri
asaibiri

Likes (Received): 1

wow amazing

seriously, u guys r crazy

Last edited by sieradzanin1; January 19th, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
asaibiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #30425
_Mort_
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekumenopolis View Post
Meanwhile in Europe...

Federation Tower 506.0 m
_Mort_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #30426
ppierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekumenopolis View Post
Meanwhile in Europe...

I prefer this than Burj Khalifa in Paris . Asian and arab towers are tall but ugly. For me and it's only my opinion, the real skyscrapers city's is New York. I admit i'm jealous of Chrysler building or Empire State Building .
ppierre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #30427
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierre View Post
I prefer this than Burj Khalifa in Paris . Asian and arab towers are tall but ugly. For me and it's only my opinion, the real skyscrapers city's is New York. I admit i'm jealous of Chrysler building or Empire State Building .
Really? I think most American skyscrapers are hideous compared with Chinese and Arab ones, except the really old ones like Empire State. China is turning into the Amazon rainforest of tall buildings, in amongst all of them there must be some that are good. Dubai's problem is that it tries to make all of its towers iconic, so there is no buildup to them like in Hong Kong or New York with more medium sized towers. Dubai doesn't have that great a skyline, it just has the Burj Khalifa and then a couple of small pins next to it.
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #30428
ppierre

I think it's mainly because skyscrapers are a feature of United States, as we have Haussmann style in France. China or arab buildings are too go anywhere, and are not surrounded by old, historic buildings that value.

Last edited by ppierre; January 20th, 2012 at 04:14 AM.
ppierre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #30429
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
I remember few days ago we had a discussion here about the price of Burj Khalifa apartments; now i will ask, do we know -possibly number- how many units - apartments (studios, 1 bedroom, 2 bedrooms, 3, 4 etc) are in BK?
Hi Chris.

Here's the info I have - so many sources with different numbers - I chose the one that was the most credible.

Armani residences total units - 144
- 128 One bedroom
- 16 Two bedroom
Hotel residences, Residences, and Luxury residences total units - 911
- 35 Studios
- 268 One bedroom
- 468 Two bedroom
- 117 Three bedroom
- 23 Four bedroom

Ray.
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #30430
Hindustani

Likes (Received): 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
Really? I think most American skyscrapers are hideous compared with Chinese and Arab ones, except the really old ones like Empire State. China is turning into the Amazon rainforest of tall buildings, in amongst all of them there must be some that are good. Dubai's problem is that it tries to make all of its towers iconic, so there is no buildup to them like in Hong Kong or New York with more medium sized towers. Dubai doesn't have that great a skyline, it just has the Burj Khalifa and then a couple of small pins next to it.
Ok. I'm just gonna assume you were drunk when you type this.

The fact is Shanghai is the only megacity which is trying really hard to emulate New York City "waterfront from all sides" skyline NOT Dubai.

Dubai is trying to be Oasis in the desert. Its like a skyscrapers lego land in a mirage after acres & acres of dunes.

I also though Burj Dubai renderings were bland & distastful, But once Burj Khalifa completed. It looks in perfect harmony with rest of the skyline that is very different from one another the way they all are topped off.

Dubai is officially the 2nd best skyline after NYC. Yes, clearly better than Hong Kong purely because of it being in the desert.

It has that appeal to it. & MI: Ghost Protocol showed that too.
Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #30431
avi_anisha
AVI-Infosys

Likes (Received): 0

Burj Khalifa is a landmark which stands for the might and beauty of Dubai. Just like the Statue of Liberty is a symbol for America, Burj Khalifa has earned its name for Dubai.
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #30432
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #30433
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2623

I can't see anything??
"404 media not found"

Is that something from megaupload?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #30434
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
Ok. I'm just gonna assume you were drunk when you type this.

The fact is Shanghai is the only megacity which is trying really hard to emulate New York City "waterfront from all sides" skyline NOT Dubai.

Dubai is trying to be Oasis in the desert. Its like a skyscrapers lego land in a mirage after acres & acres of dunes.

I also though Burj Dubai renderings were bland & distastful, But once Burj Khalifa completed. It looks in perfect harmony with rest of the skyline that is very different from one another the way they all are topped off.

Dubai is officially the 2nd best skyline after NYC. Yes, clearly better than Hong Kong purely because of it being in the desert.

It has that appeal to it. & MI: Ghost Protocol showed that too.

hmmm, I don't really think Shanghai is trying to 'emulate' NYC. It just happens that the new Lujiazui area is on a penisular that is similar to a 'Mahanttan style' island which is opposite the traditional Bund area.

Also, yes Dubai's skyline is impressive and unique because of the desert, but in my opinion, Hong Kong is much more impressive mainly due to the sheer density and beauty of the skyscrapers in front of the graceful mountain back.
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #30435
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

hi Imre, what is the point of this screenshot of your weather application with BK as a wallpaper...am i missing something ? The picture there is kind of basic burj khalifa picture..

or is it a way to attract one's attention on the low temperature at 9.40 am in Dubai ?

no i'm not getting it...
kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #30436
3dinge

Likes (Received): 6

Simply awsome. Never thought something like this could be real
3dinge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #30437
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by kony View Post
hi Imre, what is the point of this screenshot of your weather application with BK as a wallpaper...am i missing something ? The picture there is kind of basic burj khalifa picture..

or is it a way to attract one's attention on the low temperature at 9.40 am in Dubai ?

no i'm not getting it...
So no point then of posting a picture of me driving my car, while Burj Khaalifa is visible in the background
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #30438
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

Usually imre posts construction pictures...its oki to post something else but i was not getting the message behing the weather application s screenshot

That s all
kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:28 AM   #30439
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by kony View Post

no i'm not getting it...
Burj Khalifa was at the background, anyway the problem solved , they removed the pics
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:27 PM   #30440
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

A couple of pictures from December... the first is a little blurry, so I apologise, but the second one is my favourite thanks to the reflection...

[IMG]http://i40.************/2m7fayc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.************/2dsl2l3.jpg[/IMG]
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae