daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:41 PM   #30781
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
They should spend some of their billions to create a huge forest, plant millions of trees. If you plant enough, the area will become less dry and nature will sustain itself. But you really need a lot of trees. Would be an awesome project for Dubai though. Almost like terraforming. Dubai could put itself on map again which such an awesome project.
For some reason I don't think this would work at all haha. Air generally flows from West to East, so all the moisture let out by those trees wouldn't stay there, but rather move further East. You can't just build a forest somewhere and expect it to sustain itself. Rain doesn't fall on the same city where the moisture that makes it comes from. So really, what you said wouldn't work, unless you somehow created a ring of forest around the world. And then it still probably wouldn't work.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:42 PM   #30782
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
LOL, did we just started showing pictures of Golf Courses to "prove" which one is greener?
No, notice I never said Las Vegas was greener, please read. I said its easier for Las Vegas to grow things, as it is less hot in Las Vegas. I realize Dubai has a golf course as well, I was just responding to the other guy's implied sarcasm.

In all honesty, Dubai and las Vegas should just stick to using plants native to the area. It's a crime against humanity to spend the energy necessary to water those plants just so we can have something to look at.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:47 PM   #30783
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Nope, Dubai uses treated grey water for landscaping, not desalinated one.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:54 PM   #30784
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Nope, Dubai uses treated grey water for landscaping, not desalinated one.
Not for private areas, such as houses. And I'm sure there are plenty of developments that use non-greywater.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:40 AM   #30785
Desert Diver
Just add water

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
AND Lake Mead is nearby, so Las Vegas doesn't destroy the Earth using tons of energy to desalinate it's water.
Yeah forgot, Lake Mead, one of mother nature's true wonders...
And how about the water issues in Los Angeles? For example what happened to Owens Lake?

Strange that whenever this useless Dubai bashing starts it's some US American trying to "educate". A country with one of the world's highest water and fuel consumptions. Must be quite sad and rather embarassing to see for those fellow countrymen who don't have this weird attitude of trying to tell others what to do

Just ignore the BS, guys...

Last edited by Desert Diver; March 23rd, 2012 at 02:22 AM.
Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:49 AM   #30786
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Diver View Post
Yeah forgot,Lake Mead, one of nature's true wonders... And how about water issues in Los Angeles? How about what happened to Owens Lake?

Strange that whenever this useless bashing starts it's some American trying to educate. Must be quite sad to see for those fellow countrymen who don't have this weird attitude

Just ignore the BS, guys...
You are a complete imbecile. The point is Dubai is an environmental catastrophe, just the sight of it makes me cringe. The skyscrapers are perfect examples of poor land management, as overly rich oil tycoons decide to put out billions of tons of CO2 constructing buildings that have no reason to be as tall as they are, seeing as land in Dubai is quite abundant. But it's alright, destroying the environment, and the coral that lie off the coast of Dubai is all ok, especially in the pursuit of some overly extravagant Las Vegas. And Los Angeles is completely irrelevant, it still runs off of 100% fresh water. As does almost every American city. A citizen of Dubai uses twice as much water as the average American.

Anyway, to get back on topic, this is a beautiful building, seeing as it was designed by an American firm.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:52 AM   #30787
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2630

Catastrophe? To be honest, the fact that there's a vibrant developing city in such a rude place for living like a desert is an achievement.

The world wont end for some dying greenery where it was supposed to be a desert.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:58 AM   #30788
Desert Diver
Just add water

Quote:
You are a complete imbecile....
As I said before...

Quote:
...this is a beautiful building, seeing as it was designed by an American firm.
And if it was designed by a local firm it'd be ugly, right?

Last edited by Desert Diver; March 23rd, 2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:00 AM   #30789
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngMarco View Post
Catastrophe? To be honest, the fact that there's a vibrant developing city in such a rude place for living like a desert is an achievement.

The world wont end for some dying greenery where it was supposed to be a desert.
http://www.landscapeonline.com/research/article/5718

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/bu...pagewanted=all

Dubai has to desalinate ALL its water at some point. The issue isn't one of killing plants, even though they did kill MASSIVE amount of coral to build their islands. The point is the energy consumption necessary to sustain life in a place where it is regularly 120 degree fahrenheit, with humidity off the charts. When you have to desalinate your water, when you have to constantly live by the mercy of the air conditioner in the summer, when you create an indoor ski resort in a DESERT, you are creating astronomical amounts of CO2 emission never before seen. Not to mention that building skyscrapers puts out its own emissions. And heck, to add to all of it, desalinating water raises salinity levels in the nearby water, making the area practically unlivable to marine life.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:03 AM   #30790
Desert Diver
Just add water

Why don't you just shut up and visit one of the all american forums? There you can hail your brothers
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:05 AM   #30791
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
You are a complete imbecile. The point is Dubai is an environmental catastrophe, just the sight of it makes me cringe. The skyscrapers are perfect examples of poor land management, as overly rich oil tycoons decide to put out billions of tons of CO2 constructing buildings that have no reason to be as tall as they are, seeing as land in Dubai is quite abundant. But it's alright, destroying the environment, and the coral that lie off the coast of Dubai is all ok, especially in the pursuit of some overly extravagant Las Vegas. And Los Angeles is completely irrelevant, it still runs off of 100% fresh water. As does almost every American city. A citizen of Dubai uses twice as much water as the average American.

Wow!! You really have no clue about Dubai do you?
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:55 AM   #30792
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Diver View Post
Why don't you just shut up and visit one of the all american forums? There you can hail your brothers
Every country has it's issues, the US has plenty of issues. But at least we don't waste our money creating some false image of ourselves. I won't "hail my brothers" because there are too many issues to address at the moment for celebration. Maybe one day you'll realize that about dubai, just at many before you have.

The mirage in the desert won't last for long, if the poor economy didn't prove that to you already. The office vacancy rates in Dubai are higher than in Detroit. Dubai is unsustainable, but I will end my argument there. I'm fine with Abu Dhabi and other real cities.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:10 AM   #30793
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

- Oh Brother .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
I'll either be taking pics of the Beast of Dubai or snow in Antarctica next August. Since it looks like this thread has achieved immortality, I'll try to get something worth posting.

I see they haven't kicked Fury out yet.
Hi Nomadd.

Hell ... Emaar should make me an honourary member of the operation and maintenance team and let me have unrestricted site visits anytime I want ...

Ray.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:11 AM   #30794
MichalHajek

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Every country has it's issues, the US has plenty of issues. But at least we don't waste our money creating some false image of ourselves. I won't "hail my brothers" because there are too many issues to address at the moment for celebration. Maybe one day you'll realize that about dubai, just at many before you have.

The mirage in the desert won't last for long, if the poor economy didn't prove that to you already. The office vacancy rates in Dubai are higher than in Detroit. Dubai is unsustainable, but I will end my argument there. I'm fine with Abu Dhabi and other real cities.
Dear royal_rose1,

please leave this forum, nobody cares about your enviromental concerns and other problems you have with Dubai, just shut the hell up. As far as i know, this thread is dedicated to Burj Khalifa - a skyscraper, not some greenpeace sh*t or please save mother earth or give Dubai back to nature... please, if you dont mind, just post things and facts RELATED TO THE TOPIC - AND THAT IS BURJ KHALIFA, otherwise make your own thread, something like "Dubai is just deserted city, god bless stupid America, please support my opinion"... etc.

THANK TOU

Sincerely Michal H
MichalHajek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:01 AM   #30795
AltinD
The Modecator

You are under the false impression that his Majesty Rose The 1st, or scores of others before him playing the exact same broken record, really give a flying [email protected] about the enviroment
I can cheat you blind.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:41 PM   #30796
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

Dubai from Space on 22/2/12

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/spa...een-from-space

Quote:
A bustling metropolis in the heart of the United Arab Emirates lights up the night in this photo taken by an astronaut aboard the International Space Station.

The city of Dubai is the largest metropolitan area in the emirate of the same name. The region's uniquely shaped island developments, framed by a bright lattice of orange lights, are clearly visible in this nighttime image taken from space on Feb. 22.

Dubai is a popular photographic target for astronauts aboard the International Space Station because of the artificial archipelagos located just offshore in the Persian Gulf, NASA officials said in a statement. These attention-grabbing features were intentionally built so that the full design is only visible from a vantage point looking straight down, such as an airplane or an orbiting outpost in space.

The cluster of lights at the bottom right is the Palm Jumeira complex, which is still under development. The palm tree-shaped artificial archipelago consists of a crescent breakwater surrounding a trunk and 16 fronds.

Flying 240 miles (386 kilometers) above the Earth's surface, the astronauts aboard the space station can fully appreciate Dubai's dazzling city lights, and the area's vivid pattern of urban design.

Several striking patterns can be made out in the detailed image, such as how the highways and major streets are lined with sharp yellow-orange lights, while the commercial and residential areas appear more speckled with blue, white and orange lights.

The large, brightly lit spots are some of Dubai's big hotels and shopping malls, including the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa Tower, which looms at an impressive 2,717 feet (828 meters).

The stunning city lights contrast sharply with the dark Persian Gulfto the northwest and the more undeveloped and unlit areas to the southeast. The sporadic blurry patches of gray are clouds.

The photo was taken with a long focal-length lens and a digital camera that is highly sensitive to light, NASA officials said.

The space station is currently home to six spaceflyers: two American astronauts, one Dutch astronaut, and three Russian cosmonauts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCollaborator View Post
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM   #30797
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 19654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
Good find!

Looks good

really beautiful!!
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:58 PM   #30798
Spider-Man22
x-seed 4000

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face81 View Post
Spider-Man22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:21 PM   #30799
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCollaborator View Post
Check the comments below the picture ... Who the heck is ♫ Lion ♫?
I can cheat you blind.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:33 PM   #30800
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2623

I thought that was you

Nice picture btw
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae