daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2016, 05:39 PM   #31961
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29103

Took this one yesterday

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2016, 07:38 PM   #31962
Burj Khalifa fan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 2579

HAPPY NATIONAL DAY UAE

Old December 11th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #31963
Gabriel900
Super Mod

I took this one Today

Old December 11th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #31964
Gabriel900
Super Mod

More pics from today

Old December 18th, 2016, 06:47 AM   #31965
The-E-Vid
Politically Incorrect

Likes (Received): 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hawk_ View Post
[IMG][/url]
The-E-Vid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #31966
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Some snaps I took of BK's light show:

Old December 19th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #31967
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

While some would argue that affronting such a grand landmark with a lightshow like that would be abhorrent and distasteful, say what you will, that's an impressive sight!

I don't think they did these shows when I was there in late '15. It'd be neat to see how it looks in person sometime when I go back. Really neat concept either way.

This show is not a replacement for the awesome fireworks shows they do every year, correct? Just a compliment to the tower / tech?

AP Design liked this post
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #31968
Sainton

Likes (Received): 119

Wow, that is sick! The world's tallest Christmas tree
Sainton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #31969
Burj Khalifa fan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post

I don't think they did these shows when I was there in late '15.

This show is not a replacement for the awesome fireworks shows they do every year, correct? Just a compliment to the tower / tech?
they did start the shows in 2016

yes this is everyday show, the fireworks will happen normally on NYE
Old December 19th, 2016, 06:39 PM   #31970
George BIZ

Likes (Received): 118

it's the building lit only on the face that shows towards the Dubai Mall or on all 3 faces?
George BIZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 07:35 PM   #31971
Gabriel900
Super Mod

No only the side facing Dubai Mall/dancing fountains.
Old December 20th, 2016, 12:59 AM   #31972
caughttravelbug

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Took this one yesterday

This one is absolutely amazing. I have visited Dubai exactly a year ago.

Emarati2009 liked this post
caughttravelbug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 01:02 AM   #31973
caughttravelbug

Likes (Received): 382

[QUOTE=Gabriel900;137246764]Some snaps I took of BK's light show:

I have visited Dubai a year ago and I have not seen this light show of BK. Amazing gallery
caughttravelbug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 06:26 AM   #31974
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Thanks, Burj Khalifa Fan . Oh well, hey, another reason to go back to Dubai and visit.

Burj Khalifa fan liked this post
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 08:44 AM   #31975
Akabane

Likes (Received): 93

New aerial screen savers on the Apple TV

Psych, kony, Emarati2009, Scion, firoz bharmal and 2 others liked this post
Akabane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #31976
madrasi7777

Likes (Received): 439

There will be taller buildings but I dont think any mega tall is a beautiful as this edifice.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 09:54 AM   #31977
archiphoto
archishooting

Likes (Received): 1532

Wooow!! those videos are just awesome!

Like us on: www.facebook.com/archishooting
archiphoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:23 PM   #31978
Meehoowk666

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasi7777 View Post
There will be taller buildings but I dont think any mega tall is a beautiful as this edifice.
i am sorry i messed up this post and forgot to delete it, so i hope you and many others read the one following it below

you can delete this post if you want

Last edited by Meehoowk666; December 23rd, 2016 at 07:56 PM. Reason: accidentally new post
Meehoowk666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:40 PM   #31979
Meehoowk666

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasi7777 View Post
well, arguably, i could think of PAFC as competitor if one counts the 599m as Megatall - i always look at skyscrapers and categorise them by their physical height to the tip, architectural height and where the highest (occupied) floor is

since PAFCs hof at 561.7m isn't far from BKs one at 584.5m i count them in a similar category where the BK is in my category of "spire topped, residential use, non rectangular, setback shaped" while PAFC is "non spire, office oriented, non setback, symmetrical" in my mind category

PAFC has some very nice interior and exterior designs, and is in my book just as massive, being wider at the upper levels, even more so Goldin Finance 117 - all the chinese (almost) megatalls feature slightly higher observtion decks than BK, which has its at 555.7m - in my opinion openness to the public plus possible views are a huge aspect, such as observation decks, where BK doesn't really shine by its limiting design

I actually count Shanghai Tower with its "fat" core and wide outer layer viewspace throughout the tower up to its 552-561m Decks as equal to Bk, surpassing it in efficiency, livability, space, possibly technology

another candidate would be the topped-out Goldin Finance 117, which has the highest occupied floor after the Burj, being only 0.4m lower and the highest observation deck till Jeddahs Tower exceeds both, but is not technically a megatall, while keeping impressive steadily floorspace until its top and also featuring a new original cladding (diamond motive throughout)

i'm also curious how Wuhan Greenland Center with its 575m deck will turn out, being the closest to the Burj in terms of geometry and possibly cladding - while it looses in surrounding like the Goldin, the cities (still) just not having that quality, on the other hand i don't even think of the Downtown Dubai Scene as well designed except Internet City, the new Address BLVD and some other parts - even if it is really ambitiously designed and costly, it doesn't live up to the Burj... one needs much more play, especially with different plateaus and other elements, it deserved way better imo

while some parts of the Burj, especially its lower Footprint (reminiscent of tree roots above ground) and the section where the transition from the primary wings to the inner core form is situated (without clear borders, about 440m to about 550m) and the triangular core edges in the middle of each side are designed splendid in my mind, i am perfectly sure, that another cladding color would have made it look even better

as for the requiring thermal and UV radiation protection: its mirroring particles make the normally blueish glass look (boring) greyish in combination with enough sun, and so it only appeals to me when the shadow is present like mostly at about the 400-600 m height in day photos

i think that a turquoise/greenish glass tone as in Taipei 101, but more refined in gloss and "reflection color changing resisctance" would be perfect (i think i have seen even more beautiful greenish colors in Moscows new Skyscrapers or perhaps NYC), and i played it in my mind, it would be fabulous, trust me (i know taste still would turn some people off)

i really do like the copper contrast in the cladding at about the setback levels , but i think there could have been even better elements implemented going with it i am a veeeeery picky guy, i know, so i respect the outcome and am glad how it turned out, also i wish there was more floorspace (wider views and open multi floor interior designs, which i only know of at the lowest floors - i guess the design prevents that for obvious reasons

so in the end i just wished that the color was greenish and the floors occupiable till about 700m, so the structure would have been wider from the bottom to the top, that the shape still is harmonic, i think especially the part above 600m and the lobbies/atriums could have been made MUCH better looking from the outside and in shape, but in the end money dictates and few people care for and even see the details

cheers

AP Design liked this post

Last edited by Meehoowk666; December 23rd, 2016 at 07:52 PM.
Meehoowk666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 12:23 AM   #31980
gevorika78

Likes (Received): 3529

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae