daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:47 AM   #3421
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Thanx Glass - now I know what I am looking for.
My collection of plans is far from complete. Here is all I have of these levels. Perhaps you could post some of the detail you are referring to - and anything else you have also .

Level 158

level 158 Mezz.

Level 159 - First level of Tier 17

Level 160

Level 160 Mezz. 1

Level 160 Mezz. 2

Level 160 Mezz. 3 - First level of Tier 18

I see the TSD on level 160 and level 160 Mezz. 3 now. Perhaps someone has more prints and details they can post - Glass, Sky, Cul, Altin, anyone else ...

Yes OTR I saw the dampener on Culs diagram. I was trying to find it on some prints. I have that wind article already - thanx anyway - and nice pics from today.

Did I mention that I am looking for more blueprints - info on this magnificent structure.

More More More !!!

Last edited by Fury; February 2nd, 2008 at 01:10 AM.
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:53 AM   #3422
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
[IMG]http://i30.************/20gbbsh.jpg[/IMG]
That image must be exaggerated. 1450 mm is a 4.75 ft sway. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If it does sway wouldn't it be pretty slow?
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:07 AM   #3423
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
That image must be exaggerated. 1450 mm is a 4.75 ft sway. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If it does sway wouldn't it be pretty slow?
Of course that picture is exaggerated, height of the building is ~800m and the sway it's just 1.45m on the top. That is barely visible, that picture is for illustration only and the sway of the top there is like 50m or so.
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:12 AM   #3424
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

If you compare to the top of Sears Tower, it only moves 1 ft. In addition to the tuned damper at Mezz 160, drift is also limited by the BD design where the setbacks spiral design reduces the wind vortex around the BD structure.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:11 AM   #3425
Shadow|Reaper
Dubai Resident

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
lol same here... if its by that much, i doubt people would like to live there. The image is exaggerated, thats why I was questioning the 50 Year Wind Event.
Shadow|Reaper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:31 AM   #3426
jaja3000jaja
Masters Student

Likes (Received): 3

Thanks for that, Old Town Resident. Looks interesting, just curious though, are sandstorms a regular happening in Dubai or seldom.
jaja3000jaja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:35 AM   #3427
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow|Reaper View Post
lol same here... if its by that much, i doubt people would like to live there. The image is exaggerated, thats why I was questioning the 50 Year Wind Event.
Yeah, note that the top residential floor is only a 500mm sway.
UrbanBen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:42 AM   #3428
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 332

Not sure about the denotation of BS3/F on the plans but it does appear there is an elevator that wiill at least reach L160. The L160 M1 room seems to be occupied by maintenence equipment and the cable drum / motor. My only question is that the full stairs seem to climb to L160 then abruptly disappear. Perhaps they go down a hall or carry-over on a platform to reach the smaller scissor stair that can be viewed starting from L160 and going at least to L160 M3.

I think the thing I and several others are still wondering is to how far will the actual floorplates rise - ie. with corrugated decking topped with concrete and what people would consider real floors. Even if L160 to L160 M3 is a partial void for the most part due to the size of the tanks and storage, I'm curious if we'll see decking come back after these floors. I'd think not though because we're already to the last of the mechanical sections.

Of course another matter entirely is if any of this area will be open or passable by the public once the building opens. I can of course see why not, but it has been said time and again that Emaar would have to be stupid to not see the potential of a more secluded (and expensive) observation deck toward the very top of the building. For me, I do hope they have some way of letting people access the last 200+ meters of the building.

I'm gladly awaiting the day I can come and visit this thing firsthand but to only go up so far as the regular observatory does seem to be a slight letdown.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 07:58 AM   #3429
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Samsung get really shitty when I host all the blueprints on my server and I get a barrage of phone calls saying how they're going to hunt me down and kill me if I don't take them off!

It would be funny if they weren't being serious!

Anyway, next week I'm starting work on a much needed replacement to DMP with all the projects fully covered.

I will be giving out user accounts for people to log on and access "delicate" information accumulated for both BD and Al Burj.

If it doesn't come directly from me then I can't be blamed for the info appearing on the forums!

Zefire liked this post
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 08:13 AM   #3430
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
[IMG]http://i30.************/20gbbsh.jpg[/IMG]
Ive been wondering about this for quite some time now. The 'drift' refers to the total range of movement or total movement form centre? So is total movement 1450mm or 2900mm...?
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM   #3431
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Likes (Received): 12

Off topic, but I've been reading about that third undersea cable getting cut, and that it may have cut off Dubai. Is anyone from there able to post still?
UrbanBen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:03 AM   #3432
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
Samsung get really shitty when I host all the blueprints on my server and I get a barrage of phone calls saying how they're going to hunt me down and kill me if I don't take them off!

It would be funny if they weren't being serious!

Anyway, next week I'm starting work on a much needed replacement to DMP with all the projects fully covered.

I will be giving out user accounts for people to log on and access "delicate" information accumulated for both BD and Al Burj.

If it doesn't come directly from me then I can't be blamed for the info appearing on the forums!
Please let me know asap when you are ready to do that bud. I will really appreciate any new info you can give me access to. I will post it here no problem. I am fairly certain there are a few people on here that have new info ( or more info - prints ) that for some reason amounting to sacrelidge ( spelling ) they do not post.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:04 AM   #3433
JOVIMECA

Likes (Received): 5

amazing!!!!!!!
JOVIMECA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:31 AM   #3434
freeksregistration

Likes (Received): 15

what's the population of Dubai?? really beautiful building
freeksregistration no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:37 AM   #3435
Shadow|Reaper
Dubai Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBen View Post
Off topic, but I've been reading about that third undersea cable getting cut, and that it may have cut off Dubai. Is anyone from there able to post still?
I live in Dubai and posting from here. I dont have any problem with my Internet.. it actually got faster than usual lol. I dont know about others though.

And the population of Dubai is around a million and a half and growing... workers outnumber residents 8 to 1.
Shadow|Reaper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:12 PM   #3436
pierretoulouse
pierretoulouse

Likes (Received): 17

To answer freeksregistration, the population of dubai in 2006 was 1,492,000. 1200 in 1822, and 40 000 in 1960. (source wikipedia)
pierretoulouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:35 PM   #3437
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

And I hope it will be 2,500,000 in 2010.
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:13 PM   #3438
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow|Reaper View Post

And the population of Dubai is around a million and a half and growing... workers outnumber residents 8 to 1.
more like expat residents (you and me) outnumber local residents 9 to 1
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:46 PM   #3439
Edwin_kok86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dettol View Post
Ive been wondering about this for quite some time now. The 'drift' refers to the total range of movement or total movement form centre? So is total movement 1450mm or 2900mm...?
should be 1450mm max. The buildingregulations in our country (Netherlands) say a building's maximal horizontal movement is limited tot 1/300 of the height of the building. In this case it should be at 768 meters -> 2.56 meters max. Concluding, for this height of building the horizontal movement is very low. This is much because of the concrete structure. Where the steel starts the movement increases almost exponentially.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:20 PM   #3440
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Thx for your explanation Edwin.

Its intersting that the Netherlands have set this as the limit, but I dont know if that can be extrapolated to Dubai and the regulations there. Im not convinced that the full range of movement is only 1450mm even after considering the unique design of the BD which is made to counter this.
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae