daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #3501
cooperchris

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I want it to put texture my Burj Dubai model!

Me too!
cooperchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #3502
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
I noticed today and it can be seen on Imre's picture also, what seams to be another setback on this 3rd steel floor.

Did I saw it wrong and Imre's pic is also misleading?
Did it really has another setback already?
Or maybe they just haven't done that corner part yet?
If it is indeed another setback, was that in the plans or it is a deviation showing maybe a comeback to an earlier lower total height figure?

I hope is the 1st or the 3rd.
it looks like they havent got to that part yet, if it was setback we probaly wouldnt see this. but will have to wait and see.
Old February 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #3503
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10132

going well. the latest steel difinatly has provision for the first 158 floor. they just havent erected horizontal beams yet. also i dont think they have fully completed the latest floors, thus some parts still mising.
A lift core will be built soon which started down at level 138 and will continue up through the steel section to lev162.
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #3504
stewie1980

Likes (Received): 628

Finally the BD has passed the 600 meters!
stewie1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #3505
CULWULLA

^yes, its next milestone will be 610m which is imperial 2000ft!
the lev159 beam will reach 610m.
Old February 5th, 2008, 04:21 AM   #3506
stewie1980

Likes (Received): 628

2000 feet is a great milestone too!
I wonder on which day the BD will reach 666 meters.
stewie1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #3507
CULWULLA

^when the beams reach roof no2 or tier20. or lev173 the height will be 665m. close
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/8...pdetailas0.jpg
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #3508
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

February 5th Update

Been all around the BD this morning and no sign of any mechanical floor cladding at any mech floor level. However some cladding prep work going on as has been the case for several weeks on the ist mech floor level

Pics from this morning.

[IMG]http://i32.************/sy1lyu.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/m9n0h2.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Old Town Resident; February 5th, 2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #3509
robo_boss
BANNED

Likes (Received): 228

The glass doesnt look shiny. I'm wondering if it's covered with protective plastic that will be removed upon completion.

Zefire liked this post
robo_boss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #3510
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

If I'm not mistaken there in a protective plastic covering on each glass panel to protect it in case it gets banged up during installation and other means. Once the glass and all is installed you might see people on ropes dangling from the side of the building peeling the plastic off there for exposing the true blue beauty of the Burj's facade.
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #3511
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

Height update from www.burjdubai.com
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #3512
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo_Boss View Post
The glass doesnt look shiny. I'm wondering if it's covered with protective plastic that will be removed upon completion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDleSsWaLtZ View Post
If I'm not mistaken there in a protective plastic covering on each glass panel to protect it in case it gets banged up during installation and other means. Once the glass and all is installed you might see people on ropes dangling from the side of the building peeling the plastic off there for exposing the true blue beauty of the Burj's facade.
There are no protective foiling on the glass panels.

The reason why it doesn't look shiny is because there is nothing but the sky to be reflected on the glass. The fact that both the glass and the sky have layers of dust in them, doesn't help either.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #3513
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Not the best of photos, but I dont think we have a setback at this stage. (taken today)

[IMG]http://i32.************/155qc7k.jpg[/IMG]
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #3514
Shadow|Reaper
Dubai Resident

I am sorry folks, i have mistaken it for cladding, it appears its a brick wall

Shadow|Reaper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #3515
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

Burj Dubai completes 50 per cent cladding work

Dubai, UAE; February 5, 2008: Burj Dubai, the world’s tallest building being developed by Emaar Properties PJSC, has completed 50 per cent of its cladding work that is undertaken on an accelerated schedule by Arabian Aluminium Company. More than 12,000 panels covering an area of over 50,000 sq m has been installed on the tower, which is now the world’s tallest free-standing structure. Burj Dubai is now 604.9 metres. The final height and number of levels have not been revealed.

The cladding work on Burj Dubai is being undertaken in phases across various levels to match the project timelines. More than 80 storeys currently don the high-performance cladding system. The primary materials used are reflective glazing, aluminium and textured steel spandrels, and vertical stainless steel tubular fins. This accentuates Burj Dubai’s height while lending it with a shimmering slenderness.

Mr Ahmad Al Matrooshi, UAE Managing Director, Emaar Properties, said: “The architectural and design splendour of Burj Dubai is now coming to fruition with the installation of the cladding, which is being executed on an accelerated schedule. With 50 per cent of the work completed, Burj Dubai is setting new milestones in the speed of construction of super-high-rises.”

Mr Bashar Kayali, General Manager, Arabian Aluminium Company - a member of Al Ghurair Construction Industries LLC, said: “We are deploying innovative techniques in the cladding work, and 50 per cent of the work was completed in less than seven months – a record of sorts. The logistics of cladding Burj Dubai, with other aspects of construction going on simultaneously, is very demanding, and we are utilizing advanced technologies to complete the work on schedule.”

Burj Dubai is now taller than Taipei 101 (508 metres; 1667 ft) in Taiwan and CN Tower (553.33 metres; 1815.5 ft) in Toronto, Canada. More than 5,000 consultants and skilled professional workers are employed on-site at the tower.

Emaar is partnering with South Korean construction major Samsung Corporation and New York-based Project Manager Turner Construction in constructing Burj Dubai, which was designed by Adrian Smith and Skidmore, Owings & Merrill of Chicago.

Burj Dubai will feature residences, commercial space and retail space and hospitality elements including the world’s first Armani Hotel and Armani Residences. The Armani Residences, launched recently, received overwhelming customer response.

Burj Dubai is the centrepiece of Emaar’s flagship project, the AED 73 billion (US$20 billion) Downtown Burj Dubai – the new centre of the city that already has a thriving community of residents. Three hospitality projects – Al Manzil, Qamardeen and The Palace, Old Town – have opened apart from Souk Al Bahar, a shopping mall inspired by Arabesque architectural elements.

Homes have been handed over to the owners in The Residences and The Old Town, and there is huge demand for the new residential projects, 29 Burj Dubai Blvd, Claren and Standpoint, which were unveiled recently. Lending further charm and energy to the community are the various lifestyle and leisure activities being held on the Burj Dubai Boulevard. In close proximity to Burj Dubai is The Dubai Mall, one of the world’s largest shopping and entertainment destinations, to open later this year.

www.emaar.com
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #3516
amnesia
iLoveQatar.net

It's funny though, I thought that Burj Dubai would at least have 5 years of staying with the world's tallest, now there are four buildings which are going to be taller. I couldn't believe that Saudi's Mile Tower is the size of two Burj Dubai's on top of each other!
- The fastest growing airline: Qatar Airways (5 stars)
- Largest sports dome in the world
- World's first underground football field
- World's largest LED screen
- One of the safest countries in the world!
- Richest country in the world!
- Building the tallest building in EUROPE called The Shard in London!

iLoveQatar.net <-- Cost of Living, Visas, Safety Info, Tips on Moving, Facts, Pictures, Videos, and more!
amnesia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #3517
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember-To-Ashes View Post
Burj Dubai completes 50 per cent cladding work
Thats was fast, 50000sqm in just 7 months. And it will look much much better when mechanical floors are cladded.
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #3518
Gattberserk
Smith

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
It's funny though, I thought that Burj Dubai would at least have 5 years of staying with the world's tallest, now there are four buildings which are going to be taller. I couldn't believe that Saudi's Mile Tower is the size of two Burj Dubai's on top of each other!
Only Al Burj now give the biggest possibilities and threats....

To begins UC in just months... I think Al burj is a serious business...

Kingdom Tower of Jeddah
Gattberserk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #3519
cooperchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
What four towers are they?
cooperchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #3520
pierretoulouse
pierretoulouse

Likes (Received): 17

1200m Mile High Tower - Jeddah

1050m Al Burj - Dubai

1001m The City Of Silk - Kuwait

956m Sewun IFC - Seoul
pierretoulouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae