daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #4361
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

Cool updates. good to finally see Tier 12 completed.
Looks really messy at the top with all those mini form-works up there
I think it's going to be about 1 floor per week for the next 1 or 2 months
Then as The structure is thinner we might be looknig at 2 Floors a week.
But just because they finish the steel doesnt mean the floor is complete
It looks like they're pouring concrete floors and other things for level.
They must be very exposed to the elements up there.
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #4362
Library User

Likes (Received): 1

Explanations of Mezzanine Levels please

What makes L155Mezz, L158Mezz a mezzanine - in other words, how are they different from being another numbered level ?

There are L156 and L157 each 6.4 m, then L158 and the Mezz are 3.2m each.
Does L158 mezz have a partial floor plate witha specific function ?

Same question for L155 and L155 mezz ?

On L160, there are three mezz. What's the function of each, besides holding a water tank or damper. Also, what's the size of the water tank in liters and in its physical dimensions ?

Can any comparison in function be drawn between this setup and the one at the top of the Taipei101 building ?

Thank you
Library User no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #4363
Library User

Cladding questions

When there is a setback on a wing, example at L34, or L99, the last two levels under it are still open. These are not mechanical levels. No cladding yet at L32 and L33 at the end of the wing.

What is the method for finishing this part ?

Also, not all panels are on yet for L16 -- are these different from the ones already installed ?

Thank you
Library User no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #4364
cooperchris

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library User View Post
When there is a setback on a wing, example at L34, or L99, the last two levels under it are still open. These are not mechanical levels. No cladding yet at L32 and L33 at the end of the wing.

Also, not all panels are on yet for L16 -- are these different from the ones already installed ?

Thank you
I'm not sure why this is, maybe so that they can lift things up with the cranes and put them in those areas. They are starting to fill up those gaps now though...
cooperchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #4365
jlh630

SOOO MUCH GLASS.
Thanks for a great update Imre.

Quote:
What makes L155Mezz, L158Mezz a mezzanine - in other words, how are they different from being another numbered level ?

There are L156 and L157 each 6.4 m, then L158 and the Mezz are 3.2m each.
Does L158 mezz have a partial floor plate witha specific function ?

Same question for L155 and L155 mezz ?

On L160, there are three mezz. What's the function of each, besides holding a water tank or damper. Also, what's the size of the water tank in liters and in its physical dimensions ?

Can any comparison in function be drawn between this setup and the one at the top of the Taipei101 building ?

Thank you
This is a question Fury could explain very well. I would try...but I'm not quite clear on all these details myself.

Quote:

Thank you
I believe the reason for this is because the glass on the last two levels under the mechanical levels is still glass, but has different dimensions than the glass below it. You can see this under the first mechanical floors. I think they install this glass last because of these special dimensions, and it probably has to be installed a certain way in order to fit correctly with the soon-to-come mechanical cladding.
jlh630 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #4366
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

cool, they removed the last formwork
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #4367
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

Looks like the 5th steel floor will start soon

And thanks,Imre
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #4368
Astounded

Imre, brilliantly clear photos, well documented!
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #4369
jaja3000jaja
Masters Student

Likes (Received): 3

Awesome pics Imre, lol that is a LOT of toilets, and for good reason. And was there a picture of the mechanical floor cladding there? If it was that then awesome!!
jaja3000jaja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #4370
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
So Sky Tower, what's it like being that rich?

Would you equate it more to a continuous orgasm or is it more like having the ability to fly?
Well, V called you his Valkyrie, a Norse Goddess who served Odin as choosers of slain warriors, who were taken to reside in Valhalla, the sacred place for lost warriors.
As he assumes you're female, so will I (pardon me if I'm wrong) so you will know that a man couldn't comprehend a continuous or multiple orgasm, although I have tried!

Being rich to me has nothing to do with money, but my close family and friends could not be replaced by any amount of wealth.

Being wealthy is a double edged sword, it can be lost far easier than it can be made, people are always out to undermine you and take what you have (quite normal in the business world), so I'm looking forward to stopping working one day and start enjoying living...which most people can do for free.

I started with nothing, as did my father before me who retired at 38 to the tune of £600 million (about $1.3 billion) so with only 7 years to go I have a huge amount of catching up to do!

Must be something in the genes as I was already successful in business before I found my father at the age of 28 (after 25 years in South Africa)

In answer to your question, I know what it's like to be flat broke, to have your home and possessions taken away...it happened to my poor mother three times whilst growing up, and I did the whole holding down 3 jobs thing, whilst at University...so I was never a spoiled rich kid by any means.
So the freedom that wealth can bring could be akin to flying I suppose!

Back on topic though...

Firstly, Imre....great updates as usual, a beautifully clear day for photography.

I didn't realize how substantial the framework was for the curtain wall around the podium area and surrounding buildings! It also looks as if they're lowering blocks of 3 units at a time which should speed up the whole process.

Look at all those lavs...it's a "shitty" job, but I guess someones gotta do it!

Zefire liked this post
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #4371
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

The number of people in history who have been worth $1 billion could be counted on just a couple of hands. Which of those is your father? Or are you just feeding us crap?
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:24 AM   #4372
Sky Tower
BANNED

Alan Murphy - 2008 Rich List #42nd richest man in the UK.
I however do not appear in the top 500.

Zefire liked this post
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #4373
dettol
Logarithm

Hollie, which decade do you live in?

Being a billionaire today is not as exclusive a club as it once was... I refer you here

Anyway, stop derailing the thread Sky!!!
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #4374
Sky Tower
BANNED

Sorry Dad!

Newly added to Flickr, but taken in November 2006 from the top of BD

By Langoustine
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Zefire liked this post

Last edited by Sky Tower; February 29th, 2008 at 03:05 AM.
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #4375
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
Well, V called you his Valkyrie, a Norse Goddess who served Odin as choosers of slain warriors, who were taken to reside in Valhalla, the sacred place for lost warriors.
As he assumes you're female, so will I (pardon me if I'm wrong) so you will know that a man couldn't comprehend a continuous or multiple orgasm, although I have tried!

Being rich to me has nothing to do with money, but my close family and friends could not be replaced by any amount of wealth.

Being wealthy is a double edged sword, it can be lost far easier than it can be made, people are always out to undermine you and take what you have (quite normal in the business world), so I'm looking forward to stopping working one day and start enjoying living...which most people can do for free.

I started with nothing, as did my father before me who retired at 38 to the tune of £600 million (about $1.3 billion) so with only 7 years to go I have a huge amount of catching up to do!

Must be something in the genes as I was already successful in business before I found my father at the age of 28 (after 25 years in South Africa)

In answer to your question, I know what it's like to be flat broke, to have your home and possessions taken away...it happened to my poor mother three times whilst growing up, and I did the whole holding down 3 jobs thing, whilst at University...so I was never a spoiled rich kid by any means.
So the freedom that wealth can bring could be akin to flying I suppose!

Back on topic though...

Firstly, Imre....great updates as usual, a beautifully clear day for photography.

I didn't realize how substantial the framework was for the curtain wall around the podium area and surrounding buildings! It also looks as if they're lowering blocks of 3 units at a time which should speed up the whole process.

Look at all those lavs...it's a "shitty" job, but I guess someones gotta do it!
I didn't really expect a response, but wow. Sounds like you have had a very interesting life. Oh btw, I am a guy, not girl. It's the avatar huh? I been thinking about switching it...

Sorry for the off-topic posts people.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #4376
Луиc

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
I am a guy, not girl. It's the avatar huh? I been thinking about switching it...
It confuses a lot of people
Луиc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #4377
Sky Tower
BANNED

Quote:
I didn't really expect a response, but wow. Sounds like you have had a very interesting life. Oh btw, I am a guy, not girl. It's the avatar huh? I been thinking about switching it...

Sorry for the off-topic posts people.
It's not always that fun, currently I've been sat in my living room for 16 hours, re-designing the Dubai Mega Projects website....just when I think I've got it...I scrap the whole thing and start again!
I'm currently working on version 3.0.16
I've just created a revolving carousel in Flash instead of an ordinary navigation bar.
Now one website has turned into 9 so far....and all this for a non profit, hobby, information website.
I must be mad!

Zefire liked this post
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #4378
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
Alan Murphy - 2008 Rich List #42nd richest man in the UK.
I however do not appear in the top 500.

Thanks Skytower for telling us a bit about yourself. You're a fascinating guy. Being rich is indeed much more than money. I still can't wait for Dubaimegaprojects to get back on line. I sure hope you have something special in store about the Burj Dubai on the site. Too bad we don't get periodic photos from the very top. Nobody working there with a descent digital camera to snap some good ones?

Zefire liked this post
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #4379
Sky Tower
BANNED

Thanks beyond, I hoping Nakheel will be much more forthcoming than Samsung and Emaar have been over the years.
At least they will be stating it's final height on launch...so at least we'll have something to look forward to with Al Burj.

I can't wait to finish this stupid site!

Zefire liked this post
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #4380
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Yet another round of beauty shots by Imre.

Level 159 is coming along nicely. We should see the vertical columns for 160 soon ( the real ones - ). Hopefully we get some pics of the interior again. Once the cladding is mostly caught up we will be seeing very little changes meanwhile there will be all kinds of things going on inside. I imagine there will be some good interior shots when construction is finished. ( this means YOU Skytower )

I added those nice shots from '06 to my collection Sky but never posted for fear of the "those pics are OLD" comments - but there were none - kool because they are new to me.

Here is a shot from approx. 02 12 just before they started pushing sand around to get Burj Dubai Blvd. ready - and approx. 10 months before they started to dig the huge 15 meter deep hole for the mighty Burj. The Burj will be where the small group of buildings is just above the group of trees on the other side of Doha street ( see arrow ). I have so few early earthworks and piling shots - what a shame.

Good day all.

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae