daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #4541
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

The top of the spire is tall "an awful lot" ... also you can check the pictures posted a few posts above for the curtain wall installation progress.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #4542
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Spandex, Pictures from today.

Still only one window above the 4th mechanical, but plenty going on elsewhere (at the base and behind the crane on level 99)

Also entrances taking shape at the base cladding.

[IMG]http://i28.************/6tissm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i31.************/29m2kxt.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i31.************/whdter.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.************/9bjf68.jpg[/IMG]
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #4543
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

CUL, although some differences in the plan below there are a number of references to the spire installation methodology in this diagram.

Thoughts Cul do you think we should see signs of the spire in the near future if access starts to become restricted by steel. ?

[IMG]http://i30.************/27y7qjp.jpg[/IMG]
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #4544
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6535

the progress with cladding on the base is amazing, can't wait to see the whole base cladded
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #4545
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

"Advantage Nadal..."

One advantage to be a sports hero is that you might get an invitation to visit the Burj Dubai (without big effort to get a permission)!
I just watched the tennis match Nadal-Kohlschreiber, and after the victory, Nadal described the great experience of ascending in the outside elevator to the 156th floor and having the great vista over Dubai. What a lucky dude...

Btw. will it also be possible to play tennis somewhere high up the BD (excluding the base), like Agassi vs. Federer on the Burj Al Arab helipad? I guess there'll be not enough space above each setback for a tennis court.
Old March 4th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #4546
GOL2007

Likes (Received): 110

On the last pic above you see excavators removing parts of the bottom of the lake because they increased the size of the water features a lot... fountains, etc.

just FYI
Old March 4th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #4547
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6535

found an awesome shot on flickr, can't remember it has been posted already:

[IMG]http://i32.************/10nxshy.jpg[/IMG]
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #4548
Essa

Likes (Received): 0

Rafael Nadal:

Old March 4th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #4549
stefan040780

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
great close up otr.
so now height of burj dubai is 617m.
next section will reach 624m or roof of inhabitable part of tower.or where the lifts for the tower stop.
(add 15.75m for height above slab).
Thx for the new infos, Culwulla. :-)
So by using the slab messure BD is now the highest building in the world!
Btw, where did you get the reliable sources for the 15,75m-distance?
stefan040780 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #4550
Nongkhai_tong
Tong

Likes (Received): 38

good information thanks yoy
Nongkhai_tong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #4551
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

The number off image contributers is now peaking!!!

Imre, Syedaouf, OTR, Fury and the occasional person finding stuff like ZZ-II!!!!!!!

Thank you all i am realy pleased seeing everybody contributing things to this amazing building!

Yes i am quite off a lurker around here but DAMN!!! The renders have been right all allong and sometimes it looks even far better then that!!!!

So here an official cheers from me

Last edited by James R. Hawkwood; March 4th, 2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling...
James R. Hawkwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #4552
Sander-
21st century citizen

Likes (Received): 3

Gotta say those are some great pics, OTR and syedauof!
Sander- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #4553
Spandex

Likes (Received): 1

Thanks alot guys, and OTR,,, awesome pics, exsacly what I was hoping for
This is why I attend this forum several times a day

There has been a mention of the cladding of the base, citing it not looking all that great. I disagree, I think that having the horizontal pattern more dense gives it a feel of sturdiness and strenght, visually it gives us the impression that this thing is going stand there for ages
Spandex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #4554
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Those new photo's are fantastic. Pretty soon we will see the Damper get put in place.
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #4555
Shortest Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 3

Would living on the top floors affect people who have breathing problems... or is the height too minimal for respiratory issues?

- Aristotle
Shortest Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:21 AM   #4556
FTL Beach Bum

Likes (Received): 656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortest Skyscraper View Post
Would living on the top floors affect people who have breathing problems... or is the height too minimal for respiratory issues?
Living at 2000 feet elevation above sea level?

It's no different than living in, say, Madrid, which is at about 2000 feet...and doesn't seem to bother 3.2 million people.
FTL Beach Bum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:37 AM   #4557
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Even if the base of this building was in DENVER, the people on the top would have no problems at all breathing.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #4558
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Burj Dubai set to influence generations of architects

Burj Dubai, the world's tallest building, will influence and inspire future generations of architects and engineers, said Mr Mohamed Ali Alabbar, Chairman of Emaar Properties.

Speaking on the second day of the 8th World Congress of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), Alabbar said that Emaar's landmark tower epitomizes the can-do spirit that has led to Dubai's emergence as a thriving global city.

Participating in a panel discussion on the 'Vision for the World's Tallest,' Alabbar insisted that Burj Dubai is not just about building the tallest tower in the world but an expression of the vision that His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice President & Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, has for Dubai and its rightful place in the global scene.

Mr Mohamed Ali Alabbar, Chairman of Emaar Properties said:

'When Burj Dubai was first planned, it was to be a 90-storey structure, but Sheikh Mohammed asked us, 'Why stop there?'' Alabbar said. 'As Dubai and its economy expand, as our achievements grow, we must constantly ask ourselves: 'Why stop there?' Sheikh Mohammed has inspired us to dare, to dream and to achieve what would once have been considered impossible. With Dubai playing a leading role, Alabbar said, the Middle East has the potential to reclaim its age-old role as a global source of scientific and engineering innovation, a fact underscored by the vastly sophisticated building rising from Dubai's desert sands. In every aspect of Burj Dubai, there is a new set of learning. No one has ever tried to construct a building like this. This learning will be vital for the next generation of enterprising individuals.'

And while Alabbar said he had little doubt that someone would eventually build a tower higher than Burj Dubai, he insisted that such an outcome would not bother him. 'This is not a race or competition,' he said. 'What's important is that Dubai has provided a platform for humanity to push the boundaries of what can be achieved.'

The panel discussion was chaired by Mark Amirault, Managing Director, Emaar International Global Design & Development Studio. Adrian Smith, the designer of Burj Dubai, spoke on 'Designing the Burj Dubai' and William Baker of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill - architects of Burj Dubai - outlined the challenges of 'Engineering the World's Tallest.'

The 2008 World Congress of CTBUH, themed, 'Tall and Green: Typology for a Sustainable Urban Future,' is intended to explore the role of tall buildings in future sustainable urban development. Emaar Properties is the Platinum Sponsor of the event, which concludes on March 5 at Grand Hyatt Dubai.

Upon completion Burj Dubai will be the tallest structure in the world in all four of the criteria listed by CTBUH. The council measures height to the structural top, the highest occupied floor, to the top of the roof, and to the tip of the spire, pinnacle, antenna, mast or flag pole.
http://www.ameinfo.com/148824.html
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #4559
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
Spandex, Pictures from today.

Still only one window above the 4th mechanical, but plenty going on elsewhere (at the base and behind the crane on level 99)

not only that, the window frame is different from the rest
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #4560
TowerJunkie

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortest Skyscraper View Post
You might feel your ears pop on the way up but thats the worst that can happen at 2000ft.

Altitude sickness starts as low as 8,000ft, though most people can acclimatize to even higher. There are major cities in Peru and Bolivia that are over 10,000ft and some towns in the Himalayas are in the 15,000s! Prolonged exposure above 16,000ft and thats where the real lung problems start.
TowerJunkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae