daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #4601
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

1. Two measures, one single building

2. Hollow...

3. Yes, to be implemented on floor ~160

4. Which towers?

Note: Try to read this thread throughout to get answers...
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #4602
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

3. Is actually NO. Burj Dubai does not have a dumper like Taipei 101, it might get water tankss at the just completed steel section floors, but even that is not 100% confirmed, I mean they have made provision in the design but when the building will be taller then now and the enginers might observe they are not needed, they will not be installed.

Harkeb: There is a public observation outdoor deck on the 124th floor, some 420 meters above ground.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #4603
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

working that facade right up that tower! looking good!
RON-E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #4604
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
Cladding started on wing, but also looks to differ from other cladding...
Hey OTR,

Check out this link for a high res render wihch shows that type of cladding was planned for that floor.

Thx to Bikes site www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com for easy access to this and pretty much every other render available
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #4605
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

I think that the podium cladding is all the same. Its just the light which gives the false impresion that the cladding is different.
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #4606
Ember-To-Ashes

http://i29.************/35laxqf.jpg

Cladding looks much better on the bottom left as opposed to the bottom middle part. Dont you think? i think the middle part looks abit cheap.
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #4607
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
3. Is actually NO. Burj Dubai does not have a dumper like Taipei 101, it might get water tankss at the just completed steel section floors, but even that is not 100% confirmed, I mean they have made provision in the design but when the building will be taller then now and the enginers might observe they are not needed, they will not be installed.

Harkeb: There is a public observation outdoor deck on the 124th floor, some 420 meters above ground.

Thanks for explanation
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #4608
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember-To-Ashes View Post

Cladding looks much better on the bottom left as opposed to the bottom middle part. Dont you think? i think the middle part looks abit cheap.
I am sure that it will look 100 times better when fully cladded
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #4609
dettol
Logarithm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember-To-Ashes View Post

Its the same cladding, different angle
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #4610
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Key Design Features BD

Quote:

KEY DESIGN FEATURES OF BD
[IMG]http://i28.************/2exlzpt.jpg[/IMG]
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #4611
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSmith! View Post
I think that the podium cladding is all the same. Its just the light which gives the false impresion that the cladding is different.
Blacksmith: There are significant variations to each cladding section, where the left panel has a more prounounced aluminium vertical fin, in addition to each window segment be elongated.

Also the panels that will form the left wing is supported at a greater distance from the concrete and looks to have more tint.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #4612
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Scale 1:100 ???
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #4613
jlh630

Quote:
This is a little bit annoying to me. A while back I made a comment that I thought the design of the tower was stable enough to where a damper would not be needed. I was promptly corrected by CULWULLA and Fury, who told me there would be a damper on L160 (you can see in CULWULLA's diagram), and Fury claimed he had the plans to prove it. I am now very confused and would really appreciate some clarification on this matter. Who do I believe? The two guys who live in Dubai? Or the two guys with the plans of the tower?
jlh630 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #4614
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

Annoying??? Why is that such an important issue for you? Well... i'd like to know it too yes... but honestly i don't care whether they need one or not!? Can not understand why somebody would be annoyed about something like that...
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #4615
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh630 View Post
This is a little bit annoying to me. A while back I made a comment that I thought the design of the tower was stable enough to where a damper would not be needed. I was promptly corrected by CULWULLA and Fury, who told me there would be a damper on L160 (you can see in CULWULLA's diagram), and Fury claimed he had the plans to prove it. I am now very confused and would really appreciate some clarification on this matter. Who do I believe? The two guys who live in Dubai? Or the two guys with the plans of the tower?
1. There is no mechanical dumper

2. There are provision on the design for Tuned Sloshing Dumper. Two big water tanks on the level 160 and one small on the level 160 Mezzanine 3. HOWEVER, in the design documents itself it says: "Potential Tuned Sloshing Dumper".

What does "potential" means?
I can cheat you blind.

Old March 6th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #4616
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Potential?, that's interesting. I wonder what criteria would determine whether or not a damper would need to be put in. I thought when they designed skyscrapers today they could simulate any environmental impact on the tower and build accordingly.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #4617
AltinD
The Modecator

Nothing has been build so high before, so maybe they are measuring constantly lateral movements of the actual building under different wind loads and compare the data collected with the results of the wind tunnel tests on the scale model of the tower. If the build structure would be performing better or the same as the tests on the model, there might be no need for the T.S. Dumpers.

(My speculation)
I can cheat you blind.

Old March 6th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #4618
jlh630

I am only annoyed because I feel like I have different people telling me different things. I just really want to understand how this thing works. This is why I'm so confused:

image hosted on flickr
jlh630 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #4619
AltinD
The Modecator

You should have known by now that things are kept confidential and we can only speculate based on what we see, hear or discover.
I can cheat you blind.

Old March 6th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #4620
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Nothing has been build so high before, so maybe they are measuring constantly lateral movements of the actual building under different wind loads and compare the data collected with the results of the wind tunnel tests on the scale model of the tower. If the build structure would be performing better or the same as the tests on the model, there might be no need for the T.S. Dumpers.

(My speculation)
I think that's a good speculation. We might think things will work the same on a computer (or paper, but less likely) as they will in real life so you never really know 100% until the structure is actually built.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae