daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #4621
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember-To-Ashes View Post
http://i29.************/35laxqf.jpg

Cladding looks much better on the bottom left as opposed to the bottom middle part. Dont you think? i think the middle part looks abit cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dettol View Post
Its the same cladding, different angle
Yes, it's the same cladding. The key difference being....the one on the left has its white protective film removed...and the other has it's white coating still on. They are peeling it off in sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh630 View Post
This is a little bit annoying to me. A while back I made a comment that I thought the design of the tower was stable enough to where a damper would not be needed. I was promptly corrected by CULWULLA and Fury, who told me there would be a damper on L160 (you can see in CULWULLA's diagram), and Fury claimed he had the plans to prove it. I am now very confused and would really appreciate some clarification on this matter. Who do I believe? The two guys who live in Dubai? Or the two guys with the plans of the tower?
There is conflicting descriptions from old and new sources. Remember that the building went from 705m to 819m and both designs are still being quoted.
The latest design has "provision" for a Tuned Mass or Tunes Sloshing damper...but no mechanical damper like Taipei 101 as the area is not seismically active.

Zefire liked this post

Last edited by Sky Tower; March 7th, 2008 at 01:59 AM. Reason: typo
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #4622
Alejandrohl3

Likes (Received): 5

Based on that diagram.. the mass damper construction should be comming up soon shouldn't it?
Alejandrohl3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #4623
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Nothing has been build so high before, so maybe they are measuring constantly lateral movements of the actual building under different wind loads and compare the data collected with the results of the wind tunnel tests on the scale model of the tower. If the build structure would be performing better or the same as the tests on the model, there might be no need for the T.S. Dumpers.

(My speculation)
I think the reaction of the building on wind must be considerably different when the cladding is complete. At the moment, especially in the upper parts the wind can just blow through the floors. You can see on the helicopter pictures that you can look "through" the floors, there are no massive walls that stop the wind.
Once cladding is done, the building must resist to the full force of the wind, so it should swing alot more then.
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #4624
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 7958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkeb View Post
Not sure if anyone has asked before, but will this tower have an observation deck for tourists? AS the tallest building, people would flock to it and offcourse want to go up there.
considering that this is like the 10th thread about the Burj Dubai, and this one already has 230 pages, you can be sure that was asked before.
AcesHigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #4625
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

does anybody know why the window frame is different above the 4th mech floor
http://i28.************/6tissm.jpg
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #4626
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

For anyone that hasn't seen the samsung video of Burj Dubai:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BH19J8ZF4Bk
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #4627
Sky Tower
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
does anybody know why the window frame is different above the 4th mech floor
http://i28.************/6tissm.jpg
Apart from being 0.8m taller than the more common 3.2m high levels....nothing!

However, I am surprised that nobody has yet picked up the fact that L154-L156 are taller than shown on any plan.....which is where the heights now mismatch all diagrams shown on this forum, including the latest ones that I supplied.

The revised spire height changes were approved on November 29th 2006.
On June 27th 2007 further design changes altered L154-L156 heights and many of the steel spire and pinnacle sections raising the overall height by an additional 135m.

A total of 3 height increases since November 2006 as per PMI number's 366, 378 & 517, authorized by KJ Kim of Samsung Corporation, on behalf of Greg Sang on 27th June 2007.

Section A of the steel spire section will now take 358 days to complete, an additional 68 days over the 818m version, expected completion of spire section A on 8th March 2009.

Section B of the steel spire section will now take 313 days to complete, an additional 87 days over the 818m version, expected completion of spire section B on 8th November 2009.

Zefire liked this post
Old March 7th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #4628
quiksilver-cg
Jesus is First!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnedByASkyscraper View Post
Nice answer Shezan.

To be more specific, "The total budget for the Burj Dubai project is about $4.1 billion USD and for the entire new 'Downtown Dubai', $20 billion USD."
ufffff that is most expensive!!!
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #4629
Spandex

sky, are you for real with this????????
oooh man I hope so, I am assuming you have some delicate info that we the others don´t, what do the other forumgods say to this??

exiting times gentilmen
Spandex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #4630
Sky Tower
BANNED

Yes, Spandex I am.
I did post all the original documents on my website about 7 months ago.
I have so much info on it that some of it I'm still reading now.
I posted so much info as I was retrieving it directly from the mainframe in real time, hardly anyone really read it....apart from Fury, who was clever enough to back everything up locally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
For anyone that hasn't seen the samsung video of Burj Dubai:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BH19J8ZF4Bk
Just to point out that this is for the 705m version.
The spire erection methodology now requires two cranes to traverse the tower and raise the pinnacle, not one.
Crane 2 (M2-380D) will rise to Tier 20 at 712.5m
Crane 1 (M1-440D) will rise to 822m with a working boom reach up to 856m.

Zefire liked this post
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #4631
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

tip of the crane at 856m , do u have updated plans that mention the tip of the cranes height ? the 819m plans that is
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #4632
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
The spire erection methodology now requires two cranes to traverse the tower and raise the pinnacle, not one.
Crane 2 (M2-380D) will rise to Tier 20 at 712.5m
Crane 1 (M1-440D) will rise to 822m with a working boom reach up to 856m.
Which is one of the possibilities I considered due to the second crane still being present atop the beast.

Im still sceptical about it though and will wait for the steel structure to change before I rip all my clothes off and run down the street screaming Eureka
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #4633
Sky Tower
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnedByASkyscraper View Post
Nice answer Shezan.

To be more specific, "The total budget for the Burj Dubai project is about $4.1 billion USD and for the entire new 'Downtown Dubai', $20 billion USD."
That's also not quite accurate.
The total budget for the Burj Dubai complex is over $12 billion USD. The tower itself was proposed at $3.8 billion, which turned into $4.1 billion USD upon re-design.
With unfactored time extensions, rebar and aluminum cost increases and the cladding already being $850 million instead of the proposed $266 million it was budgeted for...the tower alone is expected to cost over $5 billion USD.

Zefire liked this post
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #4634
Sky Tower
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
tip of the crane at 856m , do u have updated plans that mention the tip of the cranes height ? the 819m plans that is
Not plans as in diagrams, internal letters I found on the Burj Dubai's project management mainframe server.
I have only read about 3000 of them so far, I've posted about 400 of the most interesting ones on my website over the last year.
They are official memorandums that were entered into a mainframe database that some naughty monkey kept eluding attempts to stop him from downloading everything including live CCTV footage, GPS data, and internal emails.

Zefire liked this post
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #4635
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Thanks Skytower for your fantastic work and info. It would be cool to see BD go for absolute maximum height. Let us know when Dubaimegaprojects is up and running for more detailed information.

Dettol......let me know when you want to rip your clothes off. I'll be running the other way. Actually if BD reaches over 900m I'll run with you yelling Eureka in stereo.

Zefire liked this post
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #4636
Tumbling Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
the tower alone is expected to cost over $5 billion USD.

worth every last cent .. thanks so much for expert input into this thread Skytower - and again to all the photo contributors thank you, thank you, thank you.
Tumbling Dice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #4637
Sky Tower
BANNED

You're most welcome!

I think maybe I've been misunderstood?
The 135m increase is the 3 stage jump from 705m, not from 818m.
I'm saying the final height will be around 840m...not 954m.
I apologize if it sounded misleading.

First jump - 3rd April 2006 - Rose from the initial designed 705m to 808.4m
Second Jump November - 29th 2006 - Revision to mezzanine layer configuration and L162-164 transition pushed it to 818.0m
Third Jump - 27th June 2007 - Height changes to L154-L156, setback configuration and taller pinnacle pushes it to around 840m

Zefire liked this post
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #4638
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

That would be fantastic, I'm so curious to the spire jacking!!
But will final height or total completion be reached nov 2009..??
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #4639
Sky Tower
BANNED

Yes, as far as I know. The exterior is about 3 weeks behind and the interior is about 4 months behind. Should be topped out and fully clad by the end of next year.

Zefire liked this post
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #4640
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Samsung presented this week in a conference held in Dubai, a video showing the spire and pinnacle erection technique to be used. A friend of mine was there to see it, and so was Jan.

I'll meet the guy tomorrow and ask.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae