daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #4801
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10290

great pic. big beams. definately tier18. now. you dont realise how high they are now.
the cranes are now 50m above steel which means 675m.thats wow factor

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #4802
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by world1 View Post
it is just impossible for kuwait or any oter country to build 1001m tower and that too near IRAQI KUWAIT BORER!!!! it wont even star for 1 week all the houses will b captured by terrorists!!!
Most of your comments in this thread have been about region politics and actual situation, so just CUT IT OUT! If you have nothing to add to the discussion about the construction of the tower, then just refrain from posting at all.

GOT IT?!
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #4803
world1
YAAY! IM 17!

Likes (Received): 2

key dude chill!!!! i was just kidding!!! the tower does look gr8! well wen will burj dubai be opening?? nxt year?? i heard it would b opening this year?how do they bring the cement from the bottom???
and sorry for that comment it will not happen again!!??
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #4804
world1
YAAY! IM 17!

hey guys check this out! i dont kno whether this is already posted but...........

link http://www.alineah.com/floor/403/detail.htm
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #4805
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Grrr...
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #4806
cooperchris

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dettol View Post
Grrr...
This may be of interest to all

http://www.designboom.com/contemporary/dubai1.html
cooperchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #4807
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

wow, lots of projects i didn't know yet!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #4808
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by world1 View Post
it is just impossible for kuwait or any oter country to build 1001m tower and that too near IRAQI KUWAIT BORER!!!! it wont even star for 1 week all the houses will b captured by terrorists!!!
Huh?? well, its ok I guess. Ever since Vanhenrik has been gone, at least we have your posts to keep us entertained!
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #4809
Slurms Mackenzie

Likes (Received): 1

???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post

Saudi Arabia, which sits on a quarter of the planet's proven oil reserves, has just joined the fray with a plan to build a one-mile (1,600 metre, 5,249 foot) tower in the Red Sea city of Jeddah, according to the London-based Middle East Economic Digest (MEED).

Riyadh-based Kingdom Holding, which is controlled by Saudi billionaire Prince Al-Walid bin Talal, will invite bids before July for contracts to build the tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia's commercial capital.

MEED said that although there is still secrecy over which companies are involved with the project, it is believed that Britain's Hyder Consulting is working in a joint venture with Arup, also British, as engineer on the project, which is expected to cost up to $10 billion (Dh36.7 billion).

Kuwait has unveiled a plan to build a 1,001-metre (3,284 foot) tower. Its height is a reference to the classic work of Arabic literature, One Thousand and One Nights.

http://www.business24-7.ae/cs/articl...eadlineID=3709
Are either of these the cone-shaped building I was asking about which is shown in my office (Arup - London) at the moment???? The elevations and plans I've seen are for something 1001m tall, but the posters of it say 'Kingdom' on them. So it could be either of the things described above.

As I've said previously, it is shown as a perfect cone-shape...a circular base rising to a perfect point at the top. Very mysterious!
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #4810
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

I would not be surprised if either of those proposals end up retaining their
cone shape, on the final plans. It was said a while back when they were designing the "Bionic (*****) Tower" proposal for HK, that the cone shape provides additional stability in structural strength, not to mention that for some reason, the cone shape greatly dissipates force created from seismic events. The Bionic tower isnt a perfect cone, but the same idea still applies here generally...

So, back on topic...

Last edited by Indica; March 13th, 2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: I put on my thinking cap after hitting the post button!
Indica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #4811
Doomlord_uk

Likes (Received): 5

Oh sheesh come on!!! How much time does it take to weld two bits of metal together anyway??? If the mile-high tower in Jeddah is built at the same rate of progress, it will take decades to finish! One can only marvel at the patience of the great cathedral builders of old. I wonder how many even lived to see their projects finished?

They need to be bustin' out the whips on those crane drivers and metal workers. We armchair engineers need us our rapid progress yo!!

As for the cone-shape - the optimum curve for wind-resistance is the tractrix curve - as most famously exemplified in the Eiffel Tower. The width being proportional to the bending moment at that height. A cone (if it is not straight-sided, anyway...) would give a reasonable aproximation to this, as well as efficiently reducing the mass/unit height at greater heights... It's resistance to ground-born shocks such as earthquakes is interesting too. Still, as an architectural form, it's little more interesting than a cuboid, so I for one sincerely hope the final designs for these Kuwaiti and Saudi towers are NOT conical.
Doomlord_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #4812
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

You know, I live in ND and I've never visited these giant TV masts we have. Maybe I'll drive out to one this summer to get an idea of how big the tower is.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #4813
jacekfreeman
globe trekker

Likes (Received): 938

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
You know, I live in ND and I've never visited these giant TV masts we have. Maybe I'll drive out to one this summer to get an idea of how big the tower is.
I saw a mast in Warsaw once in 1991 while it was still standing (646m) and... it's height was ENORMOUS I can't even imagine the 819 meters high tower
jacekfreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #4814
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

Burj Dubai in the clouds today (from southsidetapp, flickr ):

[IMG]http://i31.************/23u255.jpg[/IMG]
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #4815
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post

I live in the westcoast of Canada and I was in your state standing right underneath the KVLY mast. It is incredibly tall. The height on these masts is still hard to grasp as they are so thin you loose perspective of how tall they really are. While standing underneath the CN Tower, it looks taller than the mast. Perspective is lost in this ultrathin structures.

I can only imagine what BD will look like when completed to the top of the spire. It would be stratospheric.

The Mile High Tower in Jeddah? Well let's not go there on this one.

Lotta fun, lotta fun

Zefire liked this post
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #4816
Smack!!
Skyscraper Obsessed

To be honest the Burj Dubai is far better Icon and historic landmark than the Mile high tower will ever be, the hight is not as important as the architectural beauty of a building. Burj Dubai wins hands down!

Building Dubai...

Smack!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #4817
Andrey992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack!! View Post
To be honest the Burj Dubai is far better Icon and historic landmark than the Mile high tower will ever be, the hight is not as important as the architectural beauty of a building. Burj Dubai wins hands down!
Some people might find mile high tower more beautiful than burj dubai, plus you didn't even seen final design of it. It just sounds like you are a patriot, what ever country does, you think it's the best.
Andrey992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #4818
Smack!!
Skyscraper Obsessed

I am not from Dubai, and never has a building like the Burj Dubai been thought of before. It will be an iconic structure, which paved the way for the mile high tower, because believe it or not, most architects today would look at Burj Dubai for inspiration ect. And even if build it would be in Saudi Arabia, a place with tough laws, i wouldnt want to visit and get jailed for doing something "wrong" just cause of a building tbh, but thats just me. And again Burj Dubai is unique. The design must be really really good to impress and to be better than Burj Dubai, so i suggest they take their time cause the last design i saw made me throw up.

Building Dubai...

Smack!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #4819
TowerJunkie

Likes (Received): 127

Everybody knows their own countries' towers are the best. LOL
As for the Burj Dubai, its been argued here countless times that the tiered design was based on Frank Lloyd Wright's mile high Illinois tower, which was also supposed to be a tiered tripod. And nobody can possibly know what other architects have ever thought of.
TowerJunkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #4820
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10290

diagram update

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae