daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #4861
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
What do you mean by that? I was hoping they would dig the lake much deeper so it has a more natural look to it. Then again lakes don't really need to be that deep in order to look realistic. There are several man made lakes around my area for livestock drinking water and they're probably no more than a few feet deep.

I wonder what it will take to make the water look more more natural.
It's plenty deep. All they would have to do is put a neutral color liner and it would look great.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #4862
Spectrum

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
By Emiraty, Flickr:

[IMG]http://i32.************/2vmyerm.jpg[/IMG]
that is amazing one
Spectrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #4863
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Nadal visits Burj Dubai video

its very cool, Greg sang also mentions the spire being 1.2m Dia
http://www.7days.ae/cj2_video.php?id=150
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #4864
Riporto

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack!! View Post
... it would be the true manhattan of the middle east
Better i think, MUCH better!
Riporto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #4865
Smack!!
Skyscraper Obsessed

Well the density of mahattan is extreme... we need more and more buildings in Dubai.. If i were sheikh Mo, i would order Skyscraper Bay and extend business bay by the same amount south and going around west of business bay with 500+ 300m+ skyscrapers

Building Dubai...

Smack!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #4866
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

I hope they do change the color of the light blue Liner. I never thought that color worked.
We should see the new Crane very soon.
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #4867
Sander-
21st century citizen

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Would have been better if pics or vids of Burj Dubai were running while the song played, good song!

This is better though i think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n61Du5lhWio (more hard rock, which is more aggressive)

there is only one; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

Sander- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #4868
TowerPower
Ashld-biggest little city

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomlord_uk View Post
That first pic is beautiful. As is the last. I'd dearly love to have some high-res copies of those - TowerPower - who did you get them from on flickr? I want to contact them.

Also, whilst I'm at it, I do have one little conspiracy theory regarding the final height of the BD. Since the mast is going to be jacked up from within the building, there's nothing to stop them jacking it up higher than they admitted so far... just keep bolting extensions on to the bottom. OK, it's not like they'll add another 200m or anything, clearly, but the engineering solution for raising the spire is flexible here... My hope? They'll stretch out it out to 888m tall. OK, I'm done now with my conspiracy theorising!

[Edit] - aha! So it's Imageshack, not flickr.... *me smacks TowerPower upside the head*
Don't believe me, here's the link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moriazi/2332349890/

I had to post them to Imageshack so people could see them (they were gif format). Good luck getting higher res versions. (You should post them if you do)
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #4869
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Well I agree that it will be historic (if Al Burj doesnt reach the 1km mark first) but what i meant is that just like the Empire State Building, Burj Dubai will be an icon that will be in the history books as an amazing architectural achievement, and the beauty and hight for its time will be viewed with owe in 20-50 years time. I am sure in less than 20 years we will see a tower higher than the Mile High Tower, but the mile high tower IF ever built will be viewed the same way the BD is viewed. These towers will be overshadowed by other towers in the future, but remain in the history books.
you stole my words!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
Hopefully in order to change that odious swimming pool liner.
I really do hope they change the colour of the liner. I mean, we all know what class Dubai has and the expectations and standards of the Sheik And we don't want to disappoint the Sheik now do we fellas? lol. anyway, i don't think they will deepen the lake cause it just won't be done on time for the grand opening. I think, like Hollie, that they will change the colour of the liner and make it look more natural and make it blend in nicely with the surroundings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond 1000 View Post
Smack you should have seen the rebuttals coming.

As Andrey992 replied I also concur with him. The Burj Dubai cannot be as "historic" as a Mile High building, simply because of the fact that it will not even reach 1 km. The Mile High building is MOST historic among civil engineers since Frank Lloyd Wright first proposed it back in 1956 and it's would be height became absolutely legendary. It would be the ultimate accomplishment in civil engineering as far as skyscrapers are concerned. Also we don't know what this building will look like exactly. This building isn't even designed publicly yet and Burj Dubai wins hands down?

If I had one choice which building to visit and I could visit only one, between the two it would definitely be the Mile High building.

Burj Dubai is still an architectural beauty and an impressive superskyscraper.
I definetly see where you are coming from, and i agree with you 100% But the Mile High Tower can almost be seen as the next generation of supertalls. For its shear size and complexity, in my opinion, is beyond the scope of present day. Even the Al Burj would slot into the next gen supertalls category, again for its size, complexity and position in the architectural world. In my view, the Burj Dubai is the last of all supertalls to built in this current age of engineering and construction and it is to be remembered for beating the previous WTB by a large margin, for its innovative design and construction techniques never before used, and for its position and prestige in changing the face of Dubai and setting new standards for competitors. I think I've said this before in an older thread, but just to reinforce my point, yes, i agree that the Mile High Tower will take engineering brains to the next level and yes, it will be history making in breaking the 1km or 1mile barrier and also in proving all critiques wrong when they said Frank Lloyd Wright's design of a 1mile tower was not practical or possible. But you can't simply dismiss the Burj Dubai with the flick of a finger, because another proposal is overall more impressive or "superior". Like i said, the Burj Dubai is mighty for its time, and will also be remembered highly, for what it achieved in its time - just like the ESB. And then the Mile High Tower and Al Burj will come and those two (and maybe others in the distant future) will stand tall and be remembered for their achievements and position in their time; what i call the next gen of supertalls.
None the less i appreciate your view and it has enlightened me on the Mile High Tower project (as previously i saw it as a waste of money and one of those crazy visions that never became reality)

Quote:
The two pictures above show that the new downtown is beginning to take shape. I cant wait until all of business bay and downtown Burj Dubai are complete, it would be the true manhattan of the middle east
What else can i say, but you've stolen my words again!!

P.S Just a Big Thankyou to TowerPower for sharing with us those absolutely amazing pics of Burj Dubai. IMO some of the very best we've seen ever!!

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #4870
ska.pre

Likes (Received): 695

what if (i hope not) crash airplane in dubai. the concrete would rested. or what will happened?? is the tower resistant on these catastrofes. and are advantages of tower made of concrete and steel(exc. petronas tower) and tower made of almoust of steel(wtc, tapei, sears tower)??
ska.pre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #4871
Smack!!
Skyscraper Obsessed

1) The tower will not collapse, a part of it will fall but the tower will remain. Its not as easy to destroy as Bush will make you believe.

2) No tower is resistant to such catastrophes, I dont know, its quite thin, so a collapse of the top part is possible. The tower is made of reinforced concrete and a steel section at the very top.

3) Dont worry a plane will never crash there. Its almost impossible! The airport does not allow flights through that area and hijacking will never happen in a country with the greatest homeland security

Building Dubai...

Smack!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #4872
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3094

If a building was to reach such an iconic futuristic height...why would they use an old outdated measurement, 'a Mile' for that 'milestone'...so to speak. Makes me wonder how much of the world is using metric or imperial measurements....I think this tower justifies historic status forever because it has made a very conciderable leap beyond it's forebears.....
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #4873
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10124

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby View Post
^no but the singer building is 187m and took over from one which was 167m, and that isnt close to a 58.5% increase, it's more like a 12-13% increase. Just play around on wikipedia you'll find most of what you need.
the 187m Singer Building was a real triumph. It was built on top of an already existing 10storey building. The Singer Building was extremely thin at 20mx 20m. It was a massive increase from the former WTB being the Park Row bldg at 118m.
The 167m Philadelphia Town hall was built 1901 but many people think that it shouldnt be in same catorgory as skyscraper. it is basically masonry supported clock tower .
Old March 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #4874
Darth Shemp
Armani

Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #4875
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Render of Burj Dubai

Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #4876
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
1)

3) Dont worry a plane will never crash there. Its almost impossible! The airport does not allow flights through that area and hijacking will never happen in a country with the greatest homeland security

Your last point is worrysome.

"A plane will NEVER crash there. It is ALMOST impossible." So that means it could crash there but unlikely.

"The airport does not allow flights through that area" Neither does Boston's Logan Airport allow commercial flights through downtown Manhattan.

"Hijacking will never happen in a country with the greatest homeland security."

Hijacking can happen anywhere. Greatest homeland security? Your sources please.

911 already happened once and it won't happen again in the US or anywhere else unless security becomes lapse again.

The attack was by terrorist psychotics who hated the U.S. so I doubt they would go after Dubai.

Zefire liked this post
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #4877
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

15/March/2008

Burj Dubai, Gold Souk

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #4878
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Picasa - E. Eugene - 08 03 11

Old March 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #4879
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

nice Burj Dubai statue
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #4880
mordorsfear

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Densetsu View Post
I made that model in Google Sketchup, you found it in the 3dwarehouse... is nice to say that some guy called 3done (in the 3dwarehouse thats my name) made it.
mordorsfear no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae