daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 24th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #5181
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

i was up on the ob-deck of the la grande arche in la defense and the amount of security workers there was immense. And i think the ammount on the ob-deck of the BD will be even higher.
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #5182
Doomlord_uk

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
I think what Firoz was asking was how they measure the deviation of verticality and horizontal movement from the X, Y and Z axis, in particular movement outwith the engineering tollerances.

And as Skymyhusband put it GPS is the answer, not simple trigonometry.
Er, no. GPS is nowhere near that accurate! They will use an optical laser system, maybe a theodolite but I'm not sure what they are actually called. Anyway, they just have to shine a laser up a liftshaft and they will have the means to precisely measure any horizontal deviation, as well as height. Not to mention laser range-finding could measure the height to millimeter accuracy
Doomlord_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #5183
amnesia
iLoveQatar.net

Likes (Received): 0

because people do that on the empire state and other tall towers for fun and stupidty that's why.
- The fastest growing airline: Qatar Airways (5 stars)
- Largest sports dome in the world
- World's first underground football field
- World's largest LED screen
- One of the safest countries in the world!
- Richest country in the world!
- Building the tallest building in EUROPE called The Shard in London!

iLoveQatar.net <-- Cost of Living, Visas, Safety Info, Tips on Moving, Facts, Pictures, Videos, and more!
amnesia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #5184
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomlord_uk View Post
Er, no. GPS is nowhere near that accurate! They will use an optical laser system, maybe a theodolite but I'm not sure what they are actually called. Anyway, they just have to shine a laser up a liftshaft and they will have the means to precisely measure any horizontal deviation, as well as height. Not to mention laser range-finding could measure the height to millimeter accuracy
Er no, shining a light up a lift shaft with a thingy ma jiggy you dont know the name off, and compare with the accuracy of GPS.......duh.

So how does you thingy ma jiggy thing measure external walls, or are these walls considered to be in absolute parallel with the lift shaft and measured by another thingy ma jiggy thing.

Is the theodolite on at all times on building completion to monitor structural movement and powered by another imaginary source?

Last edited by Old Town Resident; March 24th, 2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #5185
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Here is a link to a 12 page PDF on surveying for the Burj Dubai.

GPS and Tiltmeters are used. This is one of the best papers on the subject that I have seen.

Old March 24th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #5186
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Here is a link to a 12 page PDF on surveying for the Burj Dubai.

GPS and Tiltmeters are used. This is one of the best papers on the subject that I have seen.

Thanks Fury

Heres a excerpt on the paper that I was about to post, and it does mention a thingy ma jiggy, so sorry Doomlord.

The Burj Dubai implements a procedure developed by Leica Geosystems using GPS observations combined with a precision inclination sensor to provide reliable coordinated points at the top of the worlds highest-rise building under construction in Dubai.

The movement of the structure creates several problems for precise survey; at a particular instant in time, theoretically, you need to know exactly how much the design centre line of the building is offset from the vertical axis and at that same instant you need to know the precise coordinates of the instrument. However a ‘mean’ position taken over a short period for both elements can provide a suitable solution.

GPS operating in static mode are being used to establish survey control at the upper levels. The system comprises a minimum of 3 GPS antenna/ receivers mounted on tall fixed poles at the top level of the formwork.

A tiltable circular prism is placed below each antenna and a Total Station instrument (TPS) is set up on the concrete visible to all GPS stations. The GPS plus TPS comprises a “measurement system”.

In static GPS mode, satellite signal data is received and recorded for a period of up to 1 hour. During this same period of time, the TPS instrument is used to measure a series of angles and distances to the prisms mounted below the GPS antennas. The TPS then measures to the reference marks placed on fresh concrete which are the reference points for control of the formwork as described in 1.4.1.
After completion of observations, data is returned to the office for processing. Computation of GPS antenna positions is carried out, processed against data from a Continuously.

The Core Wall Survey System (CWSS) uses NIVEL200 dual-axis precise clinometers (thingy ma jiggy) to accurately determine displacement of the tower alignment from vertical. Clinometers measure absolute tilt to +/-0.2” arc. This angular measure can be applied to the vertical distance of the clinometers sensor above the foundation raft to provide a computed plan displacement in X and Y at that elevation due to the tilt of the structure.

A total of 8 precise clinometers are to be networked at approximately every 20 floors up the tower as construction proceeds. Each instrument will be mounted in the center core wall in a boxout within the wall where casual disturbance is unlikely.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #5187
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

thanks Fury, now i get what you ment. thanks for the PDF to. great stuff
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #5188
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

from today:

[IMG]http://i28.************/1fu72t.jpg[/IMG]
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #5189
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Happy to help guys.

Here is some other info I have on BD surveying - all older but pertinant.

Old March 25th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #5190
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Picasa - Bob - 08 03 01

Old March 25th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #5191
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8
SSC

Likes (Received): 843

Wooow the photos are amazing and icredibles
Thanks FURY

Last edited by /-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8; March 25th, 2008 at 01:39 AM.
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:37 AM   #5192
melkor

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurms Mackenzie View Post
Overturning and base shear due to wind loads should be much much higher than those due to earthquake on a building this tall. The natural frequency of the building is very low, so an earthquake is not effective in mobilising the mass of the building.

Inertial forces (ie, earthquake) are far more effective at damaging shorter buildings with large plan areas.

At any rate, the structural engineers would have considered an earthquake load combination somewhere in their analysis (as for any other major building), but it almost certainly wouldn't have governed the design.
Exactly correct SM. Do you have a background in structures?
melkor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:02 AM   #5193
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Thanks Fury,

Not only is this the world's tallest building but what is that massive sprawling structure behind it? That thing is HUGE!!!!
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:22 AM   #5194
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

the worlds largest mall the pic is old, well not old old. but it's 23 days. and they put up two
6.4m sections in 23 days, which is quite fast. the height of the burj in that pic is 611.30m

Last edited by helghast; March 25th, 2008 at 03:32 AM.
helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:25 AM   #5195
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
the worlds largest mall
Thanks. I'll have to look it up. Interesting structure.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #5196
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

thats an amazing pic! thanks for that. it really shows the development around the burj too!
RON-E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #5197
stevie d

Jeez, that thing is incedible!!!!!

Still a good 150 metres to go as well
stevie d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #5198
TamHavPolis

In other news, construction foremen at Burj Dubai have reported a recent near-miss by Sputnik I, the Soviet-made first artificial satellite in orbit.
TamHavPolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #5199
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkor View Post
Exactly correct SM. Do you have a background in structures?

Dead on!! Many times this is the reason why you are safer in a high-rise..

Look at what happened here in Los Angeles back in 1994... the majority of the structures that got damaged or destroyed, were shorter buildings with a decent sized footprint (3-4 story wood framed apartment buildings with the lack of shear walls). The apt. buildings of this type that did well, were retrofitted, bolted down, and had shear walls. CSUN was screwed because of the short squat buildings all over campus that were extensive in sq footage.

Most of the high rise buildings escaped without damage.. All of the really tall ones in Downtown LA were ok, but there were a few in the Valley near the epicenter that were red tagged and they were quite a site to behold because you dont often see tall structures that are soo earthquake damaged too often.

Most people believe it shakes harder the higher up you are (I used to think that too) but in theory, the building absorbs some of the earthquake shock and kills some of the shaking/swaying.

Still I cant help but to wonder how much if any damage would occur if there were a quake to strike nearby and give the Burj a good shake?
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #5200
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
because people do that on the empire state and other tall towers for fun and stupidty that's why.
It's a rumour in most cases...

It was found that if you dropped a quarter from the ESB obs deck, that it WOULD NOT land with enough force to kill somebody (contrary to popular belief) because the updrafts will more than compensate for the speed at which the quarter is falling. In other words, by the time that quarter makes it to the ground, its not really going to be able to hurt anybody.

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae