daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2008, 10:18 AM   #5461
_BPS_
678 999 8212

Likes (Received): 2567

here is my contribution to the bd thread series:

_BPS_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:56 AM   #5462
B787-938

Likes (Received): 176

Theres great detail in Imre's photos of the cladding fixing.
Its impressive how the fixing channels are pre-cast into the concrete. Explains the speed at which the cladding goes up, half the work is already done

Last edited by B787-938; March 31st, 2008 at 11:49 AM.
B787-938 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:19 AM   #5463
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkblk View Post
Be careful in an arab country before they cut off some parts of you
IGNORANT!
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:37 PM   #5464
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

Why? Getting in some kind of trouble isnt that hard to "achieve" ...
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:46 PM   #5465
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10146

thanks omar and fury. now i can draw diagram accurately.definatley a vertical beams with horizontal.
cheers
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:57 PM   #5466
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10146

just on the planned observation deck.
most people over past few years have mocked how Burj Dubais ob deck is "only" going to be 442m high on lev124.
but looking at imres pix, yes they are from lev140 which is 508m or 16levels/66m higher then planned ob deck, but gee they look high enough to view Dubai from. Any higher and you will probably start seeing less, due to dust ect.
I think 442m will be perfect.especially out on the open terrace, so you can also view up 400m .
Old March 31st, 2008, 04:29 PM   #5467
marymonto
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Wow, Dubai's beautiful, If Dubai has more parks, trees, flowers, Dubai will be a paradise in the earth.

Zefire liked this post
marymonto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 04:32 PM   #5468
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3405

Cul: Two observation decks would be better like the Tokyo Tower has.
What would you see 700m above the ground? You would be above the dust and you could see the mountains.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:02 PM   #5469
Gattberserk
Smith

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
What would you see 700m above the ground? You would be above the dust and you could see the mountains.

2nd obs deck located at lvl 162 will be ideal...

Kingdom Tower of Jeddah
Gattberserk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:14 PM   #5470
e83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
most people over past few years have mocked how Burj Dubais ob deck is "only" going to be 442m high on lev124.
but looking at imres pix, yes they are from lev140 which is 508m or 16levels/66m higher then planned ob deck, but gee they look high enough to view Dubai from. Any higher and you will probably start seeing less, due to dust ect.
I think 442m will be perfect.especially out on the open terrace, so you can also view up 400m .
Ok, thanks CULWULLA.

But you should allow the people to go to the top of the building (no the spire, a 600 meter deck orbeacon could be perfect) paying an extra price like in the CN tower or similar.
e83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:25 PM   #5471
deep sea buildings

Likes (Received): 6

I think the main problem people have with the ob deck being at 442m is that it's the only record Burj Dubai needed to break. It seems a little strange to me that this building will be sweeping away all records except ob deck height. I still hope that there will be a smaller ob deck higher up, even if it's only open at certain times, just to see BD break the record.
deep sea buildings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:00 PM   #5472
leeds the best
Leeds The City

Likes (Received): 0

Their is a head about observation decks here please post some ,its a great thread and you can discuss this one.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=557774
leeds the best no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:17 PM   #5473
Slurms Mackenzie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyperu34 View Post

PD: Architects also work on construction sites and buildings supervising, verifying workers job including that of engineers, too. It doesnt mean everytime, but on many times and at several sites around the world...

Drawing and designing are only one of architects´ abilities among many...
Sure, I agree, architects do get involved in the contractual and management side of things. But they are also frequently credited with the structural design of buildings and they in fact have no involvement in it. Most architects wouldn't know a bending moment diagram from their left elbow!

Us structural engineers get a little sick of the public giving credit to architects for work that is done by our profession. A tall building stays up because of the work of structural engineers, not the work of architects.
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:19 PM   #5474
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
I agree, two would be great. I think some people would love to know what it's like to be 700m in the air while standing on solid ground while being in a city and not on a mountain range nor sitting in an airplane seat. I think some place in the steel section would be ideal with a bar and a restaurant. Just imagine.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:38 PM   #5475
idkblk
-InQontrol-

I have no doubt that the view from the current obervation deck will be thrilling.... But the view from one at 600 or even 700 metres would be much much much much more thrilling.
The obervation deck now.. yah its high above ground. But still in a scale that people are nearly used to and there are other buildings that reach the same height...

But even now at these about 640.. thats above all imagination people have. These 200 metres more make such a difference.
I think they should have put a more expensive observation deck at the near top... and another one, maybe with a restaurant where it is now. Sth like Windows of the World in former WTC.
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:44 PM   #5476
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
yes,then 19m below is tier21, then another 19m lower is tier20. you notice 2/3 between t21 and t20 is tier20B which is where the base of pinnacle starts.
thanks for reposting fury. lots of acquired info there.

great seeing 818m mark for pinnacle and then another 1m or so for guardrail. with the hatch to the roof of the world..lol
Any floorplans for the ultimate pinnacle?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:06 PM   #5477
Doomlord_uk

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Us structural engineers get a little sick of the public giving credit to architects for work that is done by our profession. A tall building stays up because of the work of structural engineers, not the work of architects.
I both agree and disagree - you could say if it wasn't for the vision of architects, there wouldn't be any work for structural engineers. There are architects who are little more than glorified graphic artists and there are architects - like Foster - who study and understand structure intimately. And then there are those few - like Santiago Calatrava - who are trained in both disciplines. Many of the great architects of classical times were also engineers too.

I studied architecture for a while, before moving on to other things, and I could not understand how you could design a building without understanding the structure. And I sure as hell knew what a bending moment diagram was, and how to calculate it - including graphically! I honestly think most good architects at least can understand structures and make good design decisions accordingly - ideally whilst talking to structural engineers.

Which is not to take away from what engineers do - but at the end of the day what the public *sees* is architecture, not engineering, very often. Which is sad, imo, because I love engineering passionately. Where engineering becomes more visible is in things like bridges which are much more overtly 'structural'. But that's life.

Last edited by Doomlord_uk; March 31st, 2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Spelling and clarity
Doomlord_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:27 PM   #5478
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BPS_ View Post
here is my contribution to the bd thread series:
can't see your pics
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:29 PM   #5479
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but I'm noticing that with the cladding going on, this building is developing a neat architectural 'layering' effect with all of its tiers, an effect that was not noticeable when it was just the bare concrete structure.

Build on!

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:35 PM   #5480
Abid Siddiqui
100% Registered User

Likes (Received): 357

Quote:

Great
Abid Siddiqui no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae