daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:55 AM   #5581
Experts_Only

Likes (Received): 11

bigwilley: think kph not mph
Experts_Only no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:01 AM   #5582
B787-938

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Freak View Post
Building The Burj Dubai Documentary in 5 parts (to satisfy Youtube constraints . . . . )

Building the Burj Dubai 'Part 1'
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CfPe9YJTIU4

Building the Burj Dubai 'Part 2'
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh90HN5HYxQ

Building the Burj Dubai 'Part 3'
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YhQlaymegVI

Building the Burj Dubai 'Part 4'
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vBmx_rfQc3s

Building the Burj Dubai 'Part 5'
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2o6jBcjBL0

Excellent work by Channel 5, Enjoy
Thanks for postsing
B787-938 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 06:02 AM   #5583
paul.c.martens

Likes (Received): 4

torrent?
paul.c.martens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:17 AM   #5584
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10135

i love the way yankls say bORj dubai, emphasising OR! . does everyone else say it like me- burrrrj dubai? sounds like errr
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:46 AM   #5585
B787-938

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
i love the way yankls say bORj dubai, emphasising OR! . does everyone else say it like me- burrrrj dubai? sounds like errr
Yeah its Burrrj Dubai as far as im concerned
B787-938 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:56 AM   #5586
Dubai Spacescraper

Likes (Received): 1

I say "burj" with "er" also, its Imre's name which is more strange, I say like "E-mire", I must have imagined an "i" there, just sounded cool and stuck in my head!
Dubai Spacescraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:09 AM   #5587
Dubai Spacescraper

I found it interesting how things have really rapidly accelerated presently, just look at the difference in WTB's and the time gap between them, nearly no difference in height for 73 years compared with the massive changes we see in this and upcoming decades!

[IMG]http://i27.************/2uxy8oh.png[/IMG]
Dubai Spacescraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:10 AM   #5588
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkblk View Post
I'd say 220 at most... Is that a VW?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Picture taken 3 weeks a go, right after the 150,000 km scheduled maintenance service.

[img]http://i26.************/29g1s2q.jpg[/img]

It is a 2002 model (manufactured in 21/11/2001) and it has the 2.sl0w engine (North Americans know what that means )

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:50 AM   #5589
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Update 3rd April

[IMG]http://i25.************/29c3qbk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/19tsfm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i26.************/2yv5c0x.jpg[/IMG]
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:34 AM   #5590
zYgote

Likes (Received): 0

Nice pics.

They are kickin ass on the cladding, and it's looking pretty hot too.
zYgote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM   #5591
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

great pics! thanks!
RON-E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:15 AM   #5592
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

What's up with mech floor cladding? Looks like there isn't any progress since they first started on it.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:17 AM   #5593
lena5538
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

i think the spire is useless. it is just to show the building taller!

Zefire liked this post
lena5538 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:33 AM   #5594
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

i think the spire isnt that useless Lena, its an architectual piece that makes the building going harmonicly up. Imagine the building beeing topped out with a flat roof or a smaller mast/spire! And most of the steel structure will be clad in the same cladding as the rest of the building only the last 50m will be made from stainless steel so it will be really harmonic. IMO its a great piece to make the finish of the building.
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM   #5595
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
i think the spire isnt that useless Lena, its an architectual piece that makes the building going harmonicly up. Imagine the building beeing topped out with a flat roof or a smaller mast/spire! And most of the steel structure will be clad in the same cladding as the rest of the building only the last 50m will be made from stainless steel so it will be really harmonic. IMO its a great piece to make the finish of the building.
Agree.
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:30 PM   #5596
DocShergar
He's a beauty!

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post

[IMG]http://i26.************/2yv5c0x.jpg[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
What's up with mech floor cladding? Looks like there isn't any progress since they first started on it.
You can see from this pic by Old Town Resident that the caldding has started on the lowest Mech floor in the centre.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:05 PM   #5597
whoami

Likes (Received): 8

nice video docu...

on part 2, they showed the testing of old cladding for borj dubai which miserably failed.. there was a mis statement that engine propeller simulates the worst desert storm. It does not! the wind speed generated by the aircraft engine is just 20% of the maximum wind speed during storm.
whoami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM   #5598
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Spacescraper View Post
I found it interesting how things have really rapidly accelerated presently, just look at the difference in WTB's and the time gap between them, nearly no difference in height for 73 years compared with the massive changes we see in this and upcoming decades!

[IMG]http://i27.************/2uxy8oh.png[/IMG]

Good one. Yep, things are accelerating .

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I second that. The spire isnt that tall either, i hope, it will proportionate.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM   #5599
Slurms Mackenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey9000 View Post
Haha, architects don't know the first thing about it Slurms!? Architects are the ones that take the info from all the consultants and make it all fit together.
No argument from me - architects combine the expertise of others and make it fit together. I'm not disputing the important role of architects. But at the same time, it's engineering expertise that keeps an 819m tower from falling over. The structural requirements are clearly the dominating factor in the Burj's design.

Of course I'm not saying 'engineers are better than architects' or anything childish like that. We need each other to make a building work. But there is a general misunderstanding in the public (and this website) that the architect is responsible for the structural design, which they aren't. It is not their job to do this and they aren't expected to. The structural engineer undertakes the structural design and is responsible for it. And as you saw on the documentary, when questions are asked about the structure, it is the structual engineer who answers. On some developments, the architecture will govern the design and we just try to fit our structure around it. But tall buildings are totally driven by the structural design and the architecture really fits around the structure.

I don't see my comments above as 'architect bashing' at all. I'm simply pointing out the vital role that the structural engineering profession plays in any building design, but especially on a building of this height. Credit should go where it's due. And yes that includes the workers on site who make the design a reality!

I don't want to take up any more space on this thread - my point is made I think, so continue with the excellent coverage of progress on the Burj.

Last edited by Slurms Mackenzie; April 3rd, 2008 at 03:22 PM.
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:34 PM   #5600
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnedByASkyscraper View Post
Thanks for sharing DubaiFreak, those were 45 of the best minutes I've ever spent on YouTube!
Yes, and thanks again to Dubai Freak for putting this together for our enjoyment.

Interesting, though not surprising, that no height details were given (apart from "over 160 storeys" and "may be twice the height of Sears Tower").

The documentary covered most bases, although it didn't mention the mass damper on Taipei 101. A short computer-graphic of how it works during a typhoon or earthquake would have been interesting. I'd seen photographs of the crane collapse when it was being built, but watching the tower crane topple and plunge to the ground "live" was quite disturbing.

Last point: the builders are proud of the technological advances made to pump concrete up 550 metres; this means the builders of the Chicago Spire are going to have to push the boundaries further, or else rely on a tedious process of lifting the last 50-odd metres worth of concrete by crane. No doubt the CS crew are talking to the BD concrete pumpers. The same technological advances will be needed for the next generation of ultra talls. Even if steel-framed, it seems concrete cores are the way to go these days.
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae