daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #5641
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan040780 View Post
reputation, my friend, just reputation...
Really? I thought there'd be some transmission purpose for the antenna.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #5642
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Are there any terrorist threats on the Burj? Considering that it is a symbol of capitalism right at the terrorists' back door, I wouldn't doubt it. Or is the UAE never threatened by such things?

And if there are terrorist threats is the Sheikh doing anything to counteract it, like putting installing an anti-aircraft system in the spire of the Burj? Or is that just too ridiculous? Of course I realize that if they actually were installing such a thing that they would never release any information on it.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #5643
walrus357

Likes (Received): 1126

dont know if this been posted before...

inosky

Last edited by walrus357; April 4th, 2008 at 10:25 PM.
walrus357 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #5644
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
Are there any terrorist threats on the Burj? Considering that it is a symbol of capitalism right at the terrorists' back door, I wouldn't doubt it. Or is the UAE never threatened by such things?

And if there are terrorist threats is the Sheikh doing anything to counteract it, like putting installing an anti-aircraft system in the spire of the Burj? Or is that just too ridiculous? Of course I realize that if they actually were installing such a thing that they would never release any information on it.
dubai is not really exposed for terrorist attacks
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #5645
Carlos76

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I think it's because of style. Why do women wear earrings, why build mosques in such a beautiful way, why paint the ceilings of the Vatican buildings, why do men wear business ties and jackets when it's warm out side? If we built everything in a purely functional way we'd have nothing but commieblocks. Humans love style, it brings a warm human nature to things we create.
Good Answer

Zefire liked this post
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #5646
leelouca
leelouca

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post

I would think that it would be a terrorist target as it stands exactly for which they hate.

The building itself has a number of escape room dotted all over the building, each room is sealed off with Fireproof walls and each room has its own air supply with fireproof venting, they are thought to give shelter in a fire for a couple of hours till they can be rescued.

There is also a clever venting system where in each stairwell there is a fan/vent that when fire/heat/smoke is detected it automatically pushes the smoke back down and out of the stairwells which would be the escape root.
leelouca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #5647
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library User View Post
According to Fury's diagrams on Burjdubaiskyscraper, I did not see any business or building function shown above L160Mezz3 other than space for window washing equipment. Above this point appears to be space that does not have a declared business purpose. Maybe I have missed something, but what I have seen is only the methodology and mechanics of building the spire.

The construction records being attained will likely be passed on to other buildings within the next 5 years. Meanwhile, the building cannot start producing revenue until finished, and the cranes are all removed from the top.

The cost and time to build from 630 meters to 819 is significant - in millions.

What is the business case or economic justification for doing so ?
the top 200m of Burj Dubai is purely architectural decoration.just like Empire states top 100m.
After lev162 /624m, the Burj Dubai has another 40 levels but these arent inhabitable. or accessed by lift. they are enclosed space accessed by stairs which rise up to the spire. The 160m "pinnacle" rises up through the spire structure. Its very ingenious by architect -Adrian Smith to extend structure above the roof to to enhance the top and intergrate it into rest of building, so you cant actually tell where the roof stops or starts. so in reality, it will look like the floors keep going up to tier27 or 768m!!! then topped with a small 50m pinnacle.! i understand from some reports that each of the 40 levels above lev162 will be luminous at night, thus creating the illusion the floors go right to the top,. very clever indeed.
and from what ive heard. the top 200m is actually quite cheap in comparison to rest of building.There is no concrete or lift core. the 40levels have minimum electricity and services. basically storage rooms with a light source with access to pinnacle for maintenance.
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #5648
Canalero
PAN

Likes (Received): 1486

Burj Dubai !!!

Amazing !!

::::: P A N A M Á :::::
Canalero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #5649
A.U.S. arch. Student

Likes (Received): 42

flickr-emrados
april 2, 08

[IMG]http://i25.************/2v0y41y.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #5650
Anjge
天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
Thanks a lot man! Will watch them when I get home
That show was amazing, eps about the fans in the stairwell, the building I work does the same thing.
Anjge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #5651
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.U.S. arch. Student View Post
flickr-emrados
april 2, 08

[IMG]http://i25.************/2v0y41y.jpg[/IMG]
EYE OF SAURON!

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #5652
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

woah that really is the Eye Of Sauron =D =D =D
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:02 AM   #5653
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
the top 200m of Burj Dubai is purely architectural decoration.just like Empire states top 100m.
After lev162 /624m, the Burj Dubai has another 40 levels but these arent inhabitable. or accessed by lift. they are enclosed space accessed by stairs which rise up to the spire. The 160m "pinnacle" rises up through the spire structure. Its very ingenious by architect -Adrian Smith to extend structure above the roof to to enhance the top and intergrate it into rest of building, so you cant actually tell where the roof stops or starts. so in reality, it will look like the floors keep going up to tier27 or 768m!!! then topped with a small 50m pinnacle.! i understand from some reports that each of the 40 levels above lev162 will be luminous at night, thus creating the illusion the floors go right to the top,. very clever indeed.
and from what ive heard. the top 200m is actually quite cheap in comparison to rest of building.There is no concrete or lift core. the 40levels have minimum electricity and services. basically storage rooms with a light source with access to pinnacle for maintenance.
i dont rember where i saw this, but i found a site where someone claimed to have bought a office on the 184th floor. when i find that site, i will post it
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:35 AM   #5654
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

beautiful pictures, stunning structure

Zefire liked this post
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:05 AM   #5655
bigwilley

That last picture should win an award
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #5656
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

amazing pics! thanks for those!
RON-E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #5657
Didoluva
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Simply incredible. Can't believe my eyes!

Zefire liked this post
Didoluva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #5658
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

Off Topic: How tall is the Index Building?

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #5659
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrasuper Planet View Post
Off Topic: How tall is the Index Building?
Uhm, why don't you check the thread for it?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #5660
KB335ci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

WHAT A SIGHT! AWE-INSPIRING, to say the least!

Zefire liked this post
KB335ci no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae