daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #561
jogiba

Likes (Received): 438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag_one View Post
yes it's possible to build such a tower completely in steel, however there are no steel mills in Dubai so all the steel has to be imported which is more expensive than using concrete. Also are concrete buildings safer in case of a fire or a terrorist attack. Besides that has concrete a neutralizing effect on the temperature inside the building, which creates a more stable climate.
I would not want to be up in Burj Dubai to see how safe it is when a wide body 767 hits it at 500mph. I bet there is not a single supertall on the planet that would do any better than the WTC.
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #562
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

BD is a reinforced concrete structure (up to nearly 600m). so a plane would damage it of course but it wouldnt make it collapse. The WTC had a different structural frame which was perfect to demolish due to its outer frame and floor plates stacked like cards. Its steel core was severly damaged from fuel fire which weekened the structure causing its collapse. btw why would any terrorist do that in Dubai anyway?
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #563
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander- View Post
I truly hope the government does not give into the strikers demands and introduce a minimumwage in Dubai, that is really terrible. Afterall, all of these workers have travelled here only to get more than they get at home so they can send money home instead of spending it all. All these individuals can at any time choose to go home; any wage increase will come naturally as a consequence of labor shortages - and should NOT come as a strike-imposed rule.
Do a bit of research. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #564
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Well, no what Sanders says is correct except for one small part. Unfortunately these workers can't leave if they want to because, purportedly, the government confiscated their passports. I don't know how much substance this claim has behind it but if it's true then these workers aren't free to leave until the government returns their passports.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #565
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

thanks malec
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #566
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
Well, no what Sanders says is correct except for one small part. Unfortunately these workers can't leave if they want to because, purportedly, the government confiscated their passports. I don't know how much substance this claim has behind it but if it's true then these workers aren't free to leave until the government returns their passports.
He's also wrong about them making more money in Dubai. They spend it all just to survive there, and they have nothing left to send back to their families.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #567
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Yeah, I've heard that too but then again I don't know the truth of that claim either. So far I have never seen anyone actually show sources for this info - if someone could break down cost of living in Dubai and compare that to income for workers (not average income because different workers get different pay) then I would have some idea...but so far I've never actually seen that. I'm just expected to take people at their word. And on the internet word is often, unfortunately, false.

I can't believe the Burj topped out this fast. Can't wait to see how they put up the steel section.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #568
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
I would not want to be up in Burj Dubai to see how safe it is when a wide body 767 hits it at 500mph. I bet there is not a single supertall on the planet that would do any better than the WTC.
the Burj Dubai wouldn't collapse like the wtc.
helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #569
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Please take your discussion about the working conditions in Dubai to the Skybar!

This is NOT the place for this topic.
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #570
spotila
SSC Mapper

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
btw why would any terrorist do that in Dubai anyway?
I think for some reason a lot of people think "tall building, terrorist attack" no matter where it is or why something like that would happen. It's silly.
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #571
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotila View Post
I think for some reason a lot of people think "tall building, terrorist attack" no matter where it is or why something like that would happen. It's silly.
On the other hand, it would've been naive if the investors and architects had totally ignored that point... there's a better feeling for them and their tenants, knowing that such a unique tower can stand some worst case scenarios. Yes, a planecrash is very unlikely now in Dubai, but nobody can surely tell how political circumstances might change during the next 10, 20 years...

All in all it makes sense in many ways that less destructible concrete was chosen for the useable space of Burj Dubai... and the concrete pumps have not been overstrained by lifting the stuff to a world record height for concrete.
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #572
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

There is nothing out there that will withstand an impact from a jumbo jet (even the new WTC). I dont give a shit what they claim.. maybe the whole tower wont collapse, but the floors above the impact most likely will (at least partially). Concrete, or steel, these arent made to withstand something that extreme.. if you are anywhere around these floors of impact, you are ****ed no matter what.. if the WTC was 4 times as wide across, then maybe it wouldnt have collapsed. No building for that matter is going to be that wide at that height though; not even these proposed monstrosities that are supposed to be a mile high.. The twins were still built pretty strong though considering even its shortcomings....

This is something that they just cant say for sure, but they can speculate a lot on and give educated guesses based on statistics and other figures....
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #573
Lupin

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
BD is a reinforced concrete structure (up to nearly 600m). so a plane would damage it of course but it wouldnt make it collapse. The WTC had a different structural frame which was perfect to demolish due to its outer frame and floor plates stacked like cards. Its steel core was severly damaged from fuel fire which weekened the structure causing its collapse. btw why would any terrorist do that in Dubai anyway?
If the west is filled with 'infidels,' think of what they might do to individuals in their own geographic region guilty of the same sins. Just look at the level of prostitution for one, or the amount of opulence that the Burj displays. I'm not saying that I condemn either of these things personally, but it's not hard to connect the dots to see why someone might, given the current state of the world.

If we need to cast ballots on this, I will throw mine in favor of a 767 not knocking down the burj, but I would prefer to not have to think about those moments again for the sick pleasure of wondering whether or not it's a possibility. Let's get back to the subject at hand.

When is the cladding for the next tier scheduled to start and what are the estimated rates of rise for the steel structure in days per floor?
Lupin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #574
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Where's the steel for the steel section?

Perhaps am wrong, but is the steel coming up now on the site? ( the I-beams etc...)

Are there any indicators of activity that could show that the steel section is started end the concrete section finnaly is finished?
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #575
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post
Perhaps am wrong, but is the steel coming up now on the site? ( the I-beams etc...)

Are there any indicators of activity that could show that the steel section is started end the concrete section finnaly is finished?
On Saturday there were no signs of storage, columns, beams, stiffeners etc etc, or any sign of pre-fabrication of steel structure at ground level.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #576
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

No, there is no sign of the steel structure starting and Greg Sang, the Project Manager for EMAAR actually said that the reported topping of the concrete part is not true and they aren't done yet, so the increase to 159 floors of concrete might be true indeed.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #577
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

We will see this very soon. Formwork is now on L156. If it rises again there is a change in the plan. I am still with the old plans.
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #578
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

by bizzybonita

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybonita View Post
Burj Dubai nearly at its peak

by ArabianBusiness.com staff writer

The ‘topping out' of the Burj Dubai is expected to take place at the end of October. According to Geir Jensen, general manager of Doka Gulf, who are undertaking the formwork for the project, the company expects to finish the concrete works on the world's tallest tower by 24 October, paving the way for the steel work.

"We will top out with concrete within ten days," said Jensen.

Once this is complete, Doka Gulf will concentrate on completing the side aspects of the tower, the tapering nature of which will act as wind breaks.

Jensen added that the tower will reach a height of 585.75 metres once the concrete work has been completed.

But as the core starts 15.75 metres below ground level, the total height of the concrete structure will be 601 metres. The Burj Dubai will have 156 floors by the time it is finished, which is expected at the end of next year.

Malaysia's Eversendai Corporation recently won the $14.7 million contract from Samsung Corporation for the structural steelworks.

The company will require more than 4,000 tonnes of steel for the work.

The final height of the tower has not been disclosed by developer Emaar Properties. However, it is widely believed it will be more than 700 metres.

In September, the Burj Dubai surpassed Toronto's CN Tower to become the tallest free-standing structure in the world.

R
so "topping out " tomorrow?
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #579
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

It says last concrete works were on 24th October, so maybe they are already dismantling the formwork now. Unfortunatly, there is no recent pics to check it out
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #580
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

tomorrow I will post new pics.
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae