daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #5881
ElCrioyo
Ed.v.cas.baeZ

Likes (Received): 1671

Not to be OD but sometimes i get the thoughts of what would happen if such tall figure(Burj Dubai) leans to one side(due to a mistake in weight distribution or land subduction) and then decides to collapse....

Its a little scary to see this tower sometimes....any of ya had that feeling?
ElCrioyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #5882
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Ok so after a lot of tweaking and messing around with things, I'd like to present some stuff...

It took about three days between extrapolating from all the floorplans and tiers to get the drawings right, to modeling them in Max, to importing to the CryEngine but it's finally done.

Is this tick-tack perfect? Absolutely not. In fact, far from it. However, I do hope you guys like the results! Upper tiers are far too large in width I'm sure, along with not taking time to model anything below Podium / Tier 0 (8th floor) just because I didn't bother. Also, due to the curves and complexity of the tower, it didn't exactly jump from one engine to another without small glitches. I'm also almost certain I totally drew at least one tier wrong and set it back to the wrong part of the building, or not at all! Oh well

Cul - You are indeed correct. It's an absolutely gorgeous structure in its geometric patterns and curves. Very complex when you sit down to try to replicate it (or maybe I just have to get better at modeling).

THANKS so very much to Fury and Culwulla for your contributions to let me even try to do this tower comparison. Without it, it'd be almost impossible (or far more time-consuming)!

Last edited by The-Real-Link; April 11th, 2008 at 08:31 AM.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #5883
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

that definitely doesn't look right
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #5884
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

I would be crying out very very loud, if the spire actualy looks like that.

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #5885
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

I thought it looked right... until raising the model toward the top. Actually Chad, I said the same thing!
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #5886
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Sorry for the double-posting guys but here's the link to what became of all this anyway. Took the above model into Crysis and scaled it about 2.4x in all planes due to the game engine not accepting such a large structure. Rescaled the X / Y axis to 2.1 and adjusted the height to about 2.7x to get the proper height difference to WTC1. I think it does look a bit better now but again, this entire mini-project was a rush job! If I had 3 months to do nothing but model the BD well, the results would be different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgj8ymQkN24

Last edited by The-Real-Link; April 11th, 2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #5887
Charles Dubai
Ðυвaι •°o دبيّ

Likes (Received): 466

a question, how many skyscrapers in dubai are built, in construction or proposed ????
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #5888
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

300+
btw, great effort Real Link with the renders, although i doubt the top of the burj will look like that - nonetheless, given all the calculation and research into the floor plans you did, i presume the way the top ended up was beyond your control.

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher

Last edited by Infrasuper Planet; April 11th, 2008 at 02:38 PM.
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #5889
Assa

Likes (Received): 49

I take it the outdoor pool will the highest in the world? Another record for the BD. Which side of the building is it on? Will it get sun all day or is it supposed to be in shade for some part of the day to help keep things cool? Is it for residents or hotel guests?
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #5890
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
^oops. bizZare how they left out those levels?
all done. ive edited diagram. also added SWFC with highest ob deck atm/

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9...jdetailld5.jpg
when do you think the mile high bulding will hapen?

Zefire liked this post
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #5891
cooperchris

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
Ok so after a lot of tweaking and messing around with things, I'd like to present some stuff...

It took about three days between extrapolating from all the floorplans and tiers to get the drawings right, to modeling them in Max, to importing to the CryEngine but it's finally done.

Is this tick-tack perfect? Absolutely not. In fact, far from it. However, I do hope you guys like the results! Upper tiers are far too large in width I'm sure, along with not taking time to model anything below Podium / Tier 0 (8th floor) just because I didn't bother. Also, due to the curves and complexity of the tower, it didn't exactly jump from one engine to another without small glitches. I'm also almost certain I totally drew at least one tier wrong and set it back to the wrong part of the building, or not at all! Oh well

Cul - You are indeed correct. It's an absolutely gorgeous structure in its geometric patterns and curves. Very complex when you sit down to try to replicate it (or maybe I just have to get better at modeling).

THANKS so very much to Fury and Culwulla for your contributions to let me even try to do this tower comparison. Without it, it'd be almost impossible (or far more time-consuming)!

You've made a not bad effort at all at drawing the floor plans for each tier, looks just like mine, same colours too. But when you've put them all together, somethings went wrong, especially near the top. Looks like you've done the model in AutoCAD which is what I did, except I created individual floor slabs and added individual bits of cladding, rather than make a solid for each tier. Here's a link to the page where I posted some pics of my model, hope this helps

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...5#post16889465

I also tried to take it to max and render, but the file is so big it just crashes! Rendering hardly works properly for me, usually left areas unrendered with dodgy lines all over the place, don't know if you have any idea how to get around that?

Lucky me, I'm in Dubai now and drove past the Burj on the way to the other Burj lol. It is huge! The cladding is so dirty though, it was this morning and is more noticable then. The last normal floor of cladding before the first mechanicals is much cleaner than those below
cooperchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #5892
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

in about 5 years time

BURJ DUBAI THREAD IS OFFICIALLY THE MOST VIEWED THREAD IN SKYSCRAPERCITY!!

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #5893
London21

Likes (Received): 42

Is it just me or there are other people having problems with this logging on this site? I've been getting the following message since yesterday?

Hey, We've got a problem with the main database server, we're attempting to fix it as fast as possible.

I'm not really sure how long it's going to take, though.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but in the meantime invite you to visit LivingWithStyle, another one of the largest forums on the Internet to discuss whatever you like!

Thanks for your patience
--DaiTengu
SkyscraperCity Sysadmin
London21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #5894
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Someone tell me what is it about the mechanical floor cladding that's taking it long to be done.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #5895
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

The MHT does seem very extreme and ahead of our time, but its progressing with engineering consultants and architects. Al-Waleed bin Talal, the investor in this project says he's ready for this project and the sunday times newspaper from london says the tower 'will be built'. In my opinion even if the tower will turn out to be a fisaco,
Al-Waleed bin Talal is just excited to see this thing further out in space and would rely on the engineers and architects.
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #5896
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

The foundation of the building gives me headache, steel bars 1.5 metres in diametre and 50 metres deep is too hard to imagine. And whole weight of the tower pressing down on this:

Old April 11th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #5897
Astounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dubai View Post
a question, how many skyscrapers in dubai are built, in construction or proposed ????
Based on the SSP database:

78 built (inc 4 supertalls), 109 U/C (inc 19 supertalls) and 34 proposals (inc 13 supers)
Old April 11th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #5898
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
Without Vanhenrik or V, this thread was getting a little dull
No it was just beginning to get interesting, now we have two pages of crap, about 10 posts from vanhenrik, and pointless discussion about the number of skyscrapers in dubai.

The images he posted were from a program which is linked to earlier in the thread, and the rest of his posts have had nothing at all to do with the burj. Tread carefully vanhenrik or you'll be banned again before you know it.

Please get back to the burj dubai now thank you.
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #5899
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

recent shot ( march ), from Suzanne Tietema, flickr:

[IMG]http://i31.************/35jgdnb.jpg[/IMG]
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #5900
Doobedoobai
Looking for world records

Likes (Received): 0

There's too much smog!

Anyway, nice shot from Suzanne Tietema (nice name btw ).
Doobedoobai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae