daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #5901
dazz

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astounded View Post
Based on the SSP database:

78 built (inc 4 supertalls), 109 U/C (inc 19 supertalls) and 34 proposals (inc 13 supers)
Based on the emporis:
319 built, 325 U/C and 310 approved
dazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #5902
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobedoobai View Post
There's too much smog!

Anyway, nice shot from Suzanne Tietema (nice name btw ).
that's no smog , fog and sand are the reasons for that
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #5903
Astounded

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz View Post
Based on the emporis:
319 built, 325 U/C and 310 approved
Huh? A skyscraper is 150m or above ... emporis says:

completed: 44 (inc 4 supers)

the other data is not publically available.

The SSP database has far more data.
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #5904
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperchris View Post
Hi all

Here are some pics of the Burj Dubai Model I'm making, It has been made using AutoCAD. I have shown different views of it plus the plans of each tier and podium which will hopefully let people understand how the design works and also how it changes as it goes up. Looking at the model, 819 metres (including aircraft beacons) is a very nicely proportionate height, but it could be made higher I think without too much trouble.

Full renders to follow later this month.....

Hope this is useful
Wow man, those are great! Because you modeled each individual floor, it certainly gave you more control on the entire coherency of the building, not to mention you got the higher tiers much better looking than I did! I'd almost ask if you wanted me to take a look at your Max file, I have a pretty decent system here that's done some crazy things for me. Maybe I could try rendering it for you? Just a thought.

No I had the same problems especially with the wings not curving with the CAD drawings when imported. If the lines don't all connect and Max doesn't weld them, you'll have a mess. I don't know how to fix them yet other than doing it manually.

Nezzy - Sorry if you feel my efforts are part of the "off-topic" aspect of this thread but since I'm not in Dubai, I wanted to contribute what I could.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #5905
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
recent shot ( march ), from Suzanne Tietema, flickr:

[IMG]http://i31.************/35jgdnb.jpg[/IMG]
its actual an old pic, the Facade has already passed the 4th Mech floor and has already reached the Observation deck. in that pic clearly shows it hasn't reached it. its defantly early march
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #5906
cooperchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
Wow man, those are great! Because you modeled each individual floor, it certainly gave you more control on the entire coherency of the building, not to mention you got the higher tiers much better looking than I did! I'd almost ask if you wanted me to take a look at your Max file, I have a pretty decent system here that's done some crazy things for me. Maybe I could try rendering it for you? Just a thought.

No I had the same problems especially with the wings not curving with the CAD drawings when imported. If the lines don't all connect and Max doesn't weld them, you'll have a mess. I don't know how to fix them yet other than doing it manually.

Nezzy - Sorry if you feel my efforts are part of the "off-topic" aspect of this thread but since I'm not in Dubai, I wanted to contribute what I could.
Thanks man but my max file is like 300mb! I had to split the building into 2 different files, even then it rarely worked. I'm in the process of re-doing the cladding, my sizes were slightly off plus they have put different looking cladding on the building than I thought there would be, which is annoying there are some great renders on burjdubaiskyscraper.com
cooperchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #5907
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

11th march to be correct

from OTR ( today ):

[IMG]http://i27.************/149xbf6.jpg[/IMG]
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #5908
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

wow nice photos zz-ii, the bottom cladding really progressing

How far can cladding reach upto at this point?, even steel floors?
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #5909
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperchris View Post
Thanks man but my max file is like 300mb! I had to split the building into 2 different files, even then it rarely worked. I'm in the process of re-doing the cladding, my sizes were slightly off plus they have put different looking cladding on the building than I thought there would be, which is annoying there are some great renders on burjdubaiskyscraper.com
Wow yeah it must be very detailed then. Guess I made the mistake of doing something fast when one of you crazy forumers already did an in-depth CAD / Max design lol! Yes burjdubaiskyscraper has some excellent models and things for sure. Good luck with finishing the rest of your project!
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #5910
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

wow i wonder how meney % of the bulding is cladded ?

end i wonder if eney one has wery earley pic`s from that time they were philing the foundation
it wuld be rely nice to see

Zefire liked this post

Last edited by vanhenrik; April 12th, 2008 at 01:13 AM.
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #5911
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Hey Real I think your efforts on attempting to draw the Burj are great. While I agree that it never came out perfect your efforts are greatly appreciated. The tiers that are symmetrical ( same length wings ) are 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 24. 27 to 30 are circular.

You and Cooperchris can do what many on here ( including me ) cannot. Don't let the few naysayers on here discourage you.

Cooperchris - I hope you are planning to take a big load of pics for us all since you are in Dubai - you lucky dog you.

Cul - your diagram is a beaut. It shows visually some of the more important stuff. My plan shows more detail but I know how much easier that is to do in Excel form rather than a drawing like you do. You are another who can do what many on here cannot. Keep up the great work.

Nezzy - I think Vanhenric has as much right to be here as you do. In fact he doesn't come on here just to contribute his complaints as you seem to do almost every post. Live and let live brother.

My hats off to all that contribute here and I do my best to be included in that group. We are living in a great time to be skyscraper fans - Lets enjoy it !

Old April 12th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #5912
paul.c.martens

Likes (Received): 4

This drawing is from a different angle than Culwulla's. But I do owe him the inspiration for doing this. Took a while!

paul.c.martens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #5913
Gattberserk
Smith

Likes (Received): 17

Well so when is the next height update of 636.9m?

Kingdom Tower of Jeddah
Gattberserk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #5914
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Architect Adrian Smith and the Burj Dubai

good movie, also mentioned in the movie there's another 40 floors left to go. hes talking about the steel section . and they mention there's another 3 over 100 floor buildings going up in dubai !!! form his firm

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1494840743

Last edited by helghast; April 12th, 2008 at 03:43 AM.
helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #5915
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10143

great diagram paul.
helghast- yes i really do think Burj dubai deserves to have its 40 spire access levels included in official floor count.
for one, you actually can use them as they are equipped with stairwells and also they are enclosed with windows.
so in reality theres 205 floors in Burj Dubai.with roof at 768m. but many will say 162fl because of the habitable issue. maybe guiness book or CTBUH can quote burj dubai has 162 habitable floors and 43 nonhabitable, thus total of 205fl?
but then again, Burj dubai has floors missing-ie 73,110, 137 , plus they have multipules of floors like 155x2 , 158x2 and 160x4.
ATM the 162nd level or mezz3 /160 is actually the 165th floor above grd in the tower.very confusing. not like good old days where they counted the actual floors above grd to roof. period!
ICC is even worse, not counting any floors with 4, thus its 118 levels = 106.

Last edited by CULWULLA; April 12th, 2008 at 05:38 AM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #5916
gt2437

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
great diagram paul.
helghast- yes i really do think Burj dubai deserves to have its 40 spire access levels included in official floor count.
for one, you actually can use them as they are equipped with stairwells and also they are enclosed with windows.
so in reality theres 205 floors in Burj Dubai.with roof at 768m. but many will say 162fl because of the habitable issue. maybe guiness book or CTBUH can quote burj dubai has 162 habitable floors and 43 nonhabitable, thus total of 205fl?
but then again, Burj dubai has floors missing-ie 73,110, 137 , plus they have multipules of floors like 155x2 , 158x2 and 160x4.
ATM the 162nd level or mezz3 /160 is actually the 165th floor above grd in the tower.very confusing. not like good old days where they counted the actual floors above grd to roof. period!
ICC is even worse, not counting any floors with 4, thus its 118 levels = 106.

This brings up a good point that we can compare with the Empire State Building. They count it with 102 floors, but is there any usable floor space between the observation decks 86th and 102? I'm sure there's communications equipment and such on some, but they count them all. Great diagrams btw!!!
gt2437 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #5917
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by B787-938 View Post
That Tier 27 balcony will be a viewing spot and a half though very few will have access to it.

Im not sure if this has been asked already but are the vertical fins on the pinnacle purely asthetic or are they functional?
how much will that cost?

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #5918
austinsteev1

Has anyone in the forum made an "actual" model of the Burj Dubai? And to me....a model is a PHYSICAL model NOT computer generated....i do those for a living...and a TRUE model is one that you can walk up to look at walk around it and realy appreciate the craftsmanship. CG models are.........ok i guess. But in my opinion, NOTHING beats the physical 3d model......they are just AWESOME!!! Anyone else agree?
austinsteev1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #5919
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsteev1 View Post
Has anyone in the forum made an "actual" model of the Burj Dubai? And to me....a model is a PHYSICAL model NOT computer generated....i do those for a living...and a TRUE model is one that you can walk up to look at walk around it and realy appreciate the craftsmanship. CG models are.........ok i guess. But in my opinion, NOTHING beats the physical 3d model......they are just AWESOME!!! Anyone else agree?
Our own Richard Braddish AKA Culwulla has. He also like you makes them for a living
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #5920
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

flickr, april 11th by technovangelist

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae