daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #581
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.kovac View Post
It says last concrete works were on 24th October, so maybe they are already dismantling the formwork now. Unfortunatly, there is no recent pics to check it out
I can see from my window and the formwork is still there.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #582
Paul

amazing... I can't wait to see it brighten.
Paul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #583
jogiba

Likes (Received): 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
There is nothing out there that will withstand an impact from a jumbo jet (even the new WTC). I dont give a shit what they claim.. maybe the whole tower wont collapse, but the floors above the impact most likely will (at least partially). Concrete, or steel, these arent made to withstand something that extreme.. if you are anywhere around these floors of impact, you are ****ed no matter what.. if the WTC was 4 times as wide across, then maybe it wouldnt have collapsed. No building for that matter is going to be that wide at that height though; not even these proposed monstrosities that are supposed to be a mile high.. The twins were still built pretty strong though considering even its shortcomings....

This is something that they just cant say for sure, but they can speculate a lot on and give educated guesses based on statistics and other figures....
The Pentagon was concrete and it collapsed in the area hit by a smaller 757 so I am sure BD would be a total loss if hit by a wide body 767 at 500mph like the WTC. It's amazing how clueless people are when they think any supertall would take a hit like that without being destroyed. A concrete exit ramp in the San Francisco Bay area collapsed when a tanker truck crashed and burned at 40mph this past year.
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #584
Kaiser
Herr

Likes (Received): 22

Stunning! It seems like yesterday this tower haven't started groundbreaking and now it's almost complete. Really fast
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #585
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10231

i agree BD would have substantial damage if a plane hit 3/4 way up but it wouldnt collapse like the WTC did. totally dif structure. wtc was external steel frame with floor plates like pancakes.Steel skyscrapers arent one entity like a total concrete skyscraper is.
sorry to harp on a morbid subject. delete if yu want
Old October 30th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #586
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Yes alot of desert ... apart a metropol stretching for 40 - 50 kms along the coast (Sharjah included) and up to 10 inland, and this is as of now with planned and u/c projects not included.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #587
PritzkerGirlzker
Quick Learner/Fast Talker

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag_one View Post
The airco units will be placed in the mechanical floors. And they're indeed big
Well chillers and AHU's can be paced in mechanical floors, but the actual cooling towers have to be outdoors. I don't picture them being on the roof in this particular case, but that's generally where they put them... Wonder if they'll just use the top of their parking decks for the cooling towers.

Gosh I can't even begin to imagine how massive their parking decks are going to be.
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #588
PritzkerGirlzker
Quick Learner/Fast Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
BD is a reinforced concrete structure (up to nearly 600m). so a plane would damage it of course but it wouldnt make it collapse. The WTC had a different structural frame which was perfect to demolish due to its outer frame and floor plates stacked like cards. Its steel core was severly damaged from fuel fire which weekened the structure causing its collapse. btw why would any terrorist do that in Dubai anyway?
Terrorism aside, do you guys know what they're doing as far as life safety systems and evacuation routes? Is it just good ol' stairwells or do they have something more fancy and innovative in mind?

If it is stairwells, I'd hate to be the one trying to coordinate a fire drill. I can imagine the calls I'd get from the tenants...

"Yeah, the alarms are going off on our floor... is this a real emergency?"

"No sir, it's just a fire drill, but we would appreciate your participation."

"Well... we would... but we're on the top floor, I think we'll stay put."

Last edited by PritzkerGirlzker; November 4th, 2007 at 03:37 AM.
PritzkerGirlzker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #589
TheGlobalizer

Likes (Received): 4

Re: Working conditions, with a snippet re: Burj Dubai.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...F503D4430E.htm
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #590
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by PritzkerGirlzker View Post
Terrorism aside, do you guys know what they're doing as far as life safety systems and evacuation routes? Is it just good ol' stairwells or do they have something more fancy and innovative in mind?

If it is stairwells, I'd hate to be the one trying to coordinate a fire drill. I can imagine the calls I'd get from the tenants...

"Yeah, the alarms are going off on our floors... is this a real emergency?"

In Chicago we evacuate down 2 floors, practiced once or twice a year (office building). A Fire Dept official rates our evacuation team and gives pointers.
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #591
jamesd3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
It is possible to cool them with today's technologies and do you really think that it will be more difficult (and more expensive) to cool a tower with 500 apartments then 500 dettached homes? Then consider the footprint and the enviromental impact of a tower compared to that of a 500 homes town.
and i've been yapping about sustainability. for once, a sensible point about the intents of these supertalls. how is the heating and cooling to be done? are the lifts to be solar powered? how much power will the building itself generate?
jamesd3g no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #592
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Well chillers and AHU's can be paced in mechanical floors, but the actual cooling towers have to be outdoors. I don't picture them being on the roof in this particular case, but that's generally where they put them... Wonder if they'll just use the top of their parking decks for the cooling towers.

Gosh I can't even begin to imagine how massive their parking decks are going to be.
This tower uses district cooling.
I can cheat you blind.

Old October 30th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #593
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd3g View Post
and i've been yapping about sustainability. for once, a sensible point about the intents of these supertalls. how is the heating and cooling to be done? are the lifts to be solar powered? how much power will the building itself generate?
Once again: compare the sustainability of this tower with the combined one of 500 separate suburbian-type homes.
I can cheat you blind.

Old October 30th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #594
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Once again: compare the sustainability of this tower with the combined one of 500 separate suburbian-type homes.
This can't be repeated enough. Sure, highrises are expensive to build, but from an environmental standpoint they are MUCH more benign than a huge slough of single dwelling homes. Imagine if someone argued that buses are bad for the environment because they consume more fuel than a car. Sure this is true, but a bus carries 20 cars worth of people. In the same way, a high rise takes more energy, land and resources than one house, but far less than it would for the number of houses it replaces.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #595
glassNsteel

Quote:

"Yeah, the alarms are going off on our floors... is this a real emergency?"

you'll find the info you need in this article.....Rolf Jensen Associates was the Code/Fire Safety consultant.

http://www.nfpa.org/publicJournalDet...ookie%5Ftest=1
glassNsteel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #596
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Here is a detail print of the top of the tower.

We can see the 1.2 meter dia. tier 30 pinnacle and the 1.5 meter dia. platform on top. We can also see where the lights connect .400 meters above the platform. We can also see the guardrail 1.1 meters above the 818.0 platform. This 1.1 meters probably won't be counted in the official height. Just as the official height will be measured from the ground and not from the slab 15.25 meters below that.

Just imagine how awesome it would be to be standing out on that platform holding on to that guardrail taking in the view !

Awesome.

Enjoy.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #597
sunshine_121

Likes (Received): 3

WTF? ^
sunshine_121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #598
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

WTF.
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:07 AM   #599
Dubai Spacescraper

Likes (Received): 1

Here it is, its old, and low quality, but good enough. I trimed it down, originally an hour long.

Dubai: Pursuit of Happiness

Its a good one, Project manager Greg is in it. Also documents a Pakistanian worker, on topic with the current buzz about them. He does say he makes 16 times more in Dubai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkCzpNLdEdE
Yes that is the foundation of Burj Dubai under construction!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWO_2yQEHQo
Don't you wish you had those binders?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnXdaq97STg

Your welcome
Cheers

Last edited by Dubai Spacescraper; October 31st, 2007 at 12:37 AM.
Dubai Spacescraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:26 AM   #600
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
No, there is no sign of the steel structure starting and Greg Sang, the Project Manager for EMAAR actually said that the reported topping of the concrete part is not true and they aren't done yet, so the increase to 159 floors of concrete might be true indeed.
i dont want to sound like an *******, but were did you hear that from ?
helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae