daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #6521
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

What a shame so many of the pictures are so hazy or blurry. I have learned to take a lot of photographs in the early morning before dust, humidity, smog, etc lowers the quality of clarity and "crispness" in the photo.

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #6522
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Many can't do that, I mean controlling the time of day when they can go and take pics.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #6523
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
they should top out this baby to reach the aim of finishing the cladding works until 31.oct 2008 according to bikes website www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com. After that date i have no idea what else will/should be finished, i am preety sure that the annexes will be finished, maybe the landscaping on ground will begin, the hotel rooms could be finished, maybe the lobbies will be finished....
all that is wonderful news !
end by the way ! www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com is a wery good websie !
but it is not so often updated !

Zefire liked this post
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #6524
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Why are there those metal rods covering across cladding again?

The cladding should be cleaned all over again before the tower opens, it looks very yellow.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #6525
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6532

i'm very sure it will be cleaned before opening
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #6526
Teriyaki
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

i think they will install automatic cladding cleaner lift .

Zefire liked this post
Teriyaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #6527
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Jus for fun and testing from imageshack.

buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #6528
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Get something better to complain about guys. It's up to the moderators. I really don't care.

Looking at the Burj Dubai photos I thought back to, oh maybe 8 years ago, when I dreamed it would be the most amazing thing if a building as tall as that were built. When I discovered it on emporis.com, I was so shocked. Do you realize what a step this is for humanity? To build this high? Right, so maybe it doesn't help all the poor people in the world, but to think that Man can build something this tall, and is even capable of building a mile high, is just awe-inspiring.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #6529
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
Get something better to complain about guys. It's up to the moderators. I really don't care.

Looking at the Burj Dubai photos I thought back to, oh maybe 8 years ago, when I dreamed it would be the most amazing thing if a building as tall as that were built. When I discovered it on emporis.com, I was so shocked. Do you realize what a step this is for humanity? To build this high? Right, so maybe it doesn't help all the poor people in the world, but to think that Man can build something this tall, and is even capable of building a mile high, is just awe-inspiring.
Just imagine when carbon nanotubes will become viable for building construction, could be within the next decade... Height records will probably explode.

Not just buildings, it's gotta be a great material for extremely long/tall suspension bridges as well. We're living in a time of marvels, Burj Dubai is only the beginning (and a pretty awesome one at that).
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #6530
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
It is unusual that with the Burj dubai project ,the architects have labelled the top most 40 levels as a "spire" which is actually an enclosed structure with the "pinnacle" as the actual spire which rises up through the 'spire" structure. the 40 level spire has staircase access to very top of tier27 or 768m. The "pinnacle" starts at tier20B or 662m and rises up through the spire to 50m above tier27 to 819m.The pinnacle has internal ladder access the whole way up and starts with a diametre of 2.1m and tapers to 1.5m then 1.3m and finally 1.2m.
I'm with you: though having small square footage, these are still several single floors, that have to be constructed one by one, as we see. So here the term "spire" only describes the shape of the top. Functionally, the part between rental floor space and "pinnacle-only" should be called "roof" instead, I think. And with 138m, this roof section surely would be the tallest in the world...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
Each of the 40 or so levels above 162 are each 3.2m high and are only the size of a large loungeroom and slowly taper to size of a bedroom and terminates the size of a toilet.lol
These are nice visualizations - but just imagine all the employees and residents of Burj Dubai would have to climb up to 750m for each urgent need... j/k
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #6531
whoami

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
Eh! Do you think Im friggen blind? lOOK UP THE DICTIONARY "nears".
i said not quite and take a closer pics so ill show. NOT closer LOOK. you think i dont understand engrish eh.? "nears mean more than 50%. its not 50% in terms of constructibilty and schedule.

peace OTR.

Last edited by whoami; April 29th, 2008 at 04:38 PM.
whoami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #6532
whoami

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
i think they will install automatic cladding cleaner lift .
it's not automatic. it's manned. the lower part of the tower claddings will be cleaned from gondola that will revolve around 2nd Mechanical flr. that's the purpose of the stiffed SS tubes.
whoami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #6533
marziano

Likes (Received): 381

"Do you realize what a step this is for humanity? To build this high? Right, so maybe it doesn't help all the poor people in the world, but to think that Man can build something this tall, and is even capable of building a mile high, is just awe-inspiring."

a giant step for mankind, in my opinion, would be to feed the millions of people starving in africa. this might be technically amazing (also nanotechnolgies are) but not something that really makes a difference for humanity.
by the way the view from the top scared the hell out me. who can work at that height without getting ill? and imagine lunch break at 620 metres high... let's go down for an hamburger...
marziano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #6534
Sander-
21st century citizen

Likes (Received): 3

So if for one day some x number of people are "fed" through one giant project than that would be an awe inspiring accomplishment? I doubt anyone would hardly notice this, it certainly would change little or nothing. WFP receives just as much critisism as praise, it isn't neccesarily so is as easy to just "feed" people and everything is ok. It's the respective countries policies, free trade and simply 'time' that best fights poverty if that's what you're aiming at.

I just wanted to say that because I do think this is an awe inspiring human accomplishment. Dubai is the next step towards 3-dimensional cities as we see in Fifth element. The most ecological, modern and effective way to live. And Burj Dubai is not just the symbol of that, it is the step in itself. The step that allows other developers and nations to believe they can do it too.
Sander- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #6535
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Whoa, guys. I didn't intend to start an argument or anything.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #6536
Renan MG
The Force´s Strong in you

Likes (Received): 0

Burj Dubai is the most incredible skyscraper I've ever seen. Please, answer me: it will be completed until 2009, right ?
Renan MG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #6537
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6532

yes, it will be completed until 2009
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #6538
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by marziano View Post
"Do you realize what a step this is for humanity? To build this high? Right, so maybe it doesn't help all the poor people in the world, but to think that Man can build something this tall, and is even capable of building a mile high, is just awe-inspiring."

a giant step for mankind, in my opinion, would be to feed the millions of people starving in africa. this might be technically amazing (also nanotechnolgies are) but not something that really makes a difference for humanity.
by the way the view from the top scared the hell out me. who can work at that height without getting ill? and imagine lunch break at 620 metres high... let's go down for an hamburger...
Look at it like this:

1) Megaprojects in Dubai increase the economy of the Arab peninsula.
2) Economic growth in the Arab peninsula increases the chance of a bridge between Yemen and Djibouti.
3) A connection between a growing Arab peninsula and the Horn of Africa means economic growth for the poorest region of Africa.
4) ERGO, Burj Dubai potentially helps feed millions of starving people in Africa.

Before you ask, yes, I just made that up on the spot to defend Burj Dubai, probably doesn't even make sense, hehe.

Last edited by droneriot; April 29th, 2008 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Typo.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #6539
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

Does any one know if where we can buy model of skyscrapers all around the world, old or new for private collection as well as the latest like Buji dubai, please tell thank you

Zefire liked this post
skyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #6540
ericrocio
My other ride is an A320

Likes (Received): 3

$4.00 a gallon

I'm glad to see what $4.00 a gallon is doing. $5.00 should built a 300 floor skyscraper.... This is sick
ericrocio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae