daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #6701
stefan040780

Likes (Received): 0

but when every 6.4 meters take 3 weeks...we have to wait a long time for topout

btw, we reached tier 19

Last edited by stefan040780; May 4th, 2008 at 04:16 PM.
stefan040780 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #6702
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dUbZUR View Post
Nice Info for all skyscraper fans
From gulfnews

Dubai will become city of supertowers

By Saifur Rahman, Business Editor
Published: May 04, 2008, 00:12

Dubai: The city will have the largest number of supertowers - buildings that rise more than 100 habitable floors - as five more will be added to the seven under development, Gulf News has learnt.

The new supertowers are part of a cluster of 11 projects worth Dh25 billion to be built in a major master-planned development that will be announced in October.

All five supertowers will be about 600 metres tall - rising more than 100 floors. These are some of the most unique projects incorporating the latest building technologies and consuming up to 60 per cent less energy," Adrian Smith, who designed Burj Dubai - currently the world's tallest tower - told Gulf News in an exclusive interview.

His firm Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architects, is designing the projects.

Thirteen supertowers are currently under development worldwide, including seven in Dubai. The five new ones will change the equation heavily in favour of the emirate.

The supertowers already announced in Dubai include Al Burj, Burj Al Alam, Princess Tower, Marina 101 and Pentominum.

Dubai is set to re-define its skyline with a number of supertowers that will rise more than 100 floors and 600 metres, with a combined estimated value of Dh25 billion ($7 billion).

The projects, to be announced later this year, will be part of a new master-planned development that will raise Dubai's profile on urban development and masterplanning.

Dubai Government has already approved the projects, currently titled AC Towers, EP Site 07, 09 and 15. Designed by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill, the projects are expected to be completed in five years.

Smith, the lead architect, also designed the Burj Dubai - currently the world's tallest tower at 160 floors.

"Dubai has already become the host to the highest number of supertowers in the world," Smith said.
"We are going to add a few more to the city's growing skyline. Out of the 13 supertowers that are being designed by us, five of them will be located in the UAE and one in Qatar."

His company has already signed with the "yet to be announced developer" to build these towers, which are unique in their own ways and will be more energy efficient.

Eco-friendliness, energy efficiency, sustainability and intelligent building systems are key to the strength of these towers, designed to stand out among the hundreds of towers that are being developed.

Smith said the new technology that he plans to employ on the buildings will pull air from the top floors, that are about 10 degree cooler, and spray them at the lower levels where temperature is higher.

"This is a unique technique never employed in supertowers. Dubai will be the first city in the world to have them implemented," he said.

"The new buildings that we have designed for Dubai can save energy by 40 to 60 per cent. We can get to '0' level in energy consumption.

"We can, in fact, design buildings that can create energy for the city. Instead of consuming energy, these buildings can actually contribute energy to the city."

AC Towers

AC is a cluster of three supertowers - rising above 100 floors, to be connected at base with an atrium and with skybridges.

A mixed-use project, it will have a built-up area of 800,000 to 900,000 square metres and parking facilities for more than 6,000 people.

It will have a hotel, and residential, commercial, retail and entertainment space for people to be able to live and work.

"The new towers that we have planned, the AC Tower and EP towers will, for the first time, employ the latest architectural ideas and techniques. They will be more energy efficient, high density building and highly sustainable," Smith said.

"For example a canal and waterway will pass through the AC Towers and will create an open space for educational and theatrical activities."

EP 07 Tower

Among the three EP projects, EP 07 will rise 125 floors and reflect Dubai's pearl trading and farming heritage. The mixed-use project will be approximately 600 metres high and will have a built-up area of 350,000 square metres.

"We have designed them to reflect on Dubai's rich heritage - developed especially for Dubai. It is covered by ribbons of steel that helps it to utilise the solar energy and make it sustainable," Smith said.

"The steel ribbon helps save energy. Besides, the buildings have been designed to withstand wind pressure and manage the pressure more efficiently. At peak, it will tilt less than 1.25 metres either way."

EP 09 Tower

Three curved structures, each hosting two buildings, form EP 09. With a build-up area of 450,000 square metres, the six towers will be of 30-40 floors.

The three pairs will be a mixed-use community with one purely residential and the other two having commercial, retail, hospitality and entertainment facilities - all connected at the base, but separated above by a distance spanning 175 metres.

"These will be very energy-efficient intelligent and smart buildings. There will be open garden spaces with water, creating an oasis surrounding the six buildings," Gordon Gill said.

"These buildings will have landscaped roof, garden and podium.

"Besides, energy saved by one tower could be passed on to another. This way, these buildings complement the use of energy.

"This concept is unique and we are going to implement this in Dubai for the first time with the new Dubai-based master developer."

EP 15 Tower

Within EP, the EP Site 15 Tower combines simple geometric principles with new and emerging technologies to create a modern, soaring "tower of light". Like a prism, the tower has a series of faceted surfaces that increase the light and air travelling through the building, which maximises energy generation in building systems.

"The EP 15 Tower filters wind and light and the prism shape helps the tower to withstand the pressures of high wind and minimises risks," Smith said. "The six holes on the building helps pass the wind through and costs 25 per cent less."

The tower will have a build-up area of 300,000 square metres and will rise to 101 floor. It will be a mixed-use project with a hotel, convention facilities and commercial and retail spaces.
That's incredible!! But I'm seriously wondering where all the demand comes from? I don't know much about Dubai. Is there a true economic reason behind all these towers, or as some have said, they simply just have money to burn?
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #6703
RH Arne
Old School

Likes (Received): 1

Does anyone know when the burj Dubai will be completed and the obeservationdecks will be opened for public? Last date I read was the end of this year but there were doubts if they will make it this year because of the cladding.

I want to plan a trip to dubai as soon as it opens, combined with a stay in the Burj al Arab
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #6704
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

After Summer 2009.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #6705
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH Arne View Post
Does anyone know when the burj Dubai will be completed and the obeservationdecks will be opened for public? Last date I read was the end of this year but there were doubts if they will make it this year because of the cladding.

I want to plan a trip to dubai as soon as it opens, combined with a stay in the Burj al Arab
You must have some money to burn like the government of Dubai too!!

The Burj Dubai is on schedule to top out this september or october. However, having said "topped out" only means that the structure of the building is complete from foundation to air beacon. The building will be "complete" when all the interior, landscaping, front entrances, mechanical logistics etc, are done and that is schedule to be complete by around August 2009 (lets just say they have a lot of floor space to cover )

So i'd say the observation deck will most probably be opened when the tower itself is complete and that will be around the last quarter of next year.

BTW as for the cladding. Mate, you'll see the cladding surpassing the tip of the cranes its progressing that quickly

Hope i answered some peoples questions

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #6706
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrasuper Planet View Post
You must have some money to burn like the government of Dubai too!!

Hope i answered some peoples questions
lol is that an intentional answer to my question?
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #6707
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

boy for everyone - thanks to Darth Shemp - 08 04 09

Blog - 08 04 27

Old May 5th, 2008, 02:21 AM   #6708
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10146

great shots. lol @ 158.
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #6709
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 111

Wow amazing pictures. The shadow of BD must be about 2 miles long in the last shot.
Did you get any other shots from the top?
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #6710
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

- The pics are from a blog online.

If I was up there I would take shots showing the steel structure, flooring, layout, etc. But I may never see this thing in person so any pics are appreciated.

Old May 5th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #6711
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10146

diagram update
beams now up to lev167 or tier19 or 643.3m or 2110ft
image hosted on flickr
Old May 5th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #6712
Slurms Mackenzie

I was watching Star Wars Episode 3 last night - perhaps it's just me, but I thought a few of the towers in the movie look a lot like the Burj Dubai!
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #6713
Icanseeformiles

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward77x View Post
I wonder how fun sex would be on the 162nd fl
I'd hope for you it's as fun as having sex anywhere...;-)
Icanseeformiles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #6714
Tumbling Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
waRSAWA mast was for a short time the worlds longest mast.lol

Cruel but funny.

Icanseeformiles -- great user-name !!

Congratulations Burj Dubai, most impressive structure on the planet.

Tumbling Dice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #6715
jacekfreeman
globe trekker

Likes (Received): 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
waRSAWA mast was for a short time the worlds longest mast.lol
17 years, human error destroyed it.

But back to BD. Structure looks amazing. Only 3 meters to go and it will be the tallest structure ever built
This shot from level 158 is incredible according to your diagram CUL it's 605 meters wow. Yesterday I visited Warsaw and went on the observation deck at 150 meters or so and the view was niceee. I can't imagine how incredible view is from 600 meters or will be from 819 meters. I'm wondering how fast the elevators will be? Going at level 150 for example is going to be a some experience.
jacekfreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #6716
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

From this month from burjdubaiskyscraper

buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #6717
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 338

Its unbelievable it has almost another 300m to go!
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #6718
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Oh really? I didn't know burj dubai is 900m+

its generally known as less than 200m to go. (176 metres roughly)
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #6719
jacekfreeman
globe trekker

Likes (Received): 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
Oh really? I didn't know burj dubai is 900m+

its generally known as less than 200m to go. (176 metres roughly)
Maybe we don't know about something
jacekfreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #6720
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2674

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
From this month from burjdubaiskyscraper
They are by Old Town Resident.

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae