daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #6961
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

sorry I meant what's the horizontal floors of the steel floors. Like former World trade centre had steel frame but concrete floors, still steel?
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #6962
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMoN-SK View Post
Well, but why are they missing just on the upper part of mechanical cladding? And it is like a week and there was no change on the cladding, I am not sure they are going to install them...
look a bit closer and to the right in the one shot, and you'll see that one the wing the vertical beams are already added
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #6963
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

I love how the mechanical floors have slightly different glass. Do the window area have some sort of special venting in certain areas? I thought there would be some mesh panels in order to have an exchange of inside/outside air.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #6964
London21

Likes (Received): 42

Burj Dubai sets new global record in glass panel installation

Dubai, UAE; May 12, 2008: Setting new global records in practical engineering and architecture, Burj Dubai, the iconic tower developed by Emaar Properties, has recorded another global first with the installation of glass panels at a height of 512 metres (1,679.76 ft).

Arabian Aluminium Company set the new record today (May 12, 2008) by laying out the high-performance cladding system on Level 141. The cladding system uses reflective glazing, aluminum & textured steel spandrels and vertical stainless steel tubular fins as the primary materials.

Mr Ahmad Al Matrooshi, UAE Managing Director, Emaar Properties, said: “Burj Dubai is setting a new world record in all aspects of high-rise construction. With cladding undertaken on Level 141 of the tower, we have pushed the frontiers of engineering high-rises one-notch higher. Every aspect of the tower now serves as a referral source on the practicalities of developing skyscrapers.”

Mr Bashar Kayali, General Manager, Arabian Aluminium Company - a member of Al Ghurair Construction Industries LLC, said: “Cladding work of Burj Dubai is being undertaken on a fast-track basis. Installing glass panel at high altitudes is a very challenging task that demands the integration of several work-flow systems. With the completion of glass panel installation on Level 141, we are now entering a new realm in executing cladding works.”

At 636 metres (2,063.6 ft) and more than 160 storeys high, Burj Dubai is now the world’s tallest building and tallest man-made structure having recently surpassed the height of the KVLY-TV mast in North Dakota, USA - 628.8 metres (2,063 ft). Burj Dubai is taller than Taipei 101 (508 metres; 1667 ft) in Taiwan and CN Tower (553.33 metres; 1815.5 ft) in Toronto, Canada.

When completed, Burj Dubai will meet all four criteria listed by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), which classifies the world’s tallest structures. CTBUH measures the height of buildings to the structural top, the highest occupied floor, the top of the roof and the tip of the spire, pinnacle, antenna, mast or flag pole.

Burj Dubai anchors Downtown Burj Dubai, an AED 73 billion (US$20 billion) mixed-use mega project, already a bustling community described as the new ‘heart of the city.’ The tower features residences, commercial space and retail space and hospitality elements including the world’s first Armani Hotel and Armani Residences.
London21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #6965
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
look a bit closer and to the right in the one shot, and you'll see that one the wing the vertical beams are already added
You're right, I am glad to see that...
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #6966
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10139

^why do they never get the current height right? anyway great about cladding. remember back when burj dubai stood half a km high and naked of glass?
buildmilehightower-the steel section from lev156-162 have concrete floors. this is because these floors are habitable communication floors.
above 162 are pure steel floors. which makes them not habitable.
otr-gee its getting hard to get whole of burjD in 1 pic.
cheers
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #6967
Spandex

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
if you are referring to the image just right here above,
then correct me if I am wrong, but the vertical beams have been there all a long, it is just above the balconies and therefore no problem for them to be installed with them. I was wandering about this some time ago, and am pretty sure about this, but do not have time to search pics back.
so if I am wrong, sorry
Spandex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #6968
Tillor87
CSH

Likes (Received): 4253

This is awasomeeee
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #6969
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post
LOVE the building... but if there is a underlying reason for the "wow" I also would like to read about it.
I completely agree. The cheap wages of South Asian laborers are key to making Burj Dubai and other impractically tall buildings in Dubai economically feasible. I want to know about them.

Skyscraper economics is just as relevant here as skyscraper architecture, and the laborers are just as note worthy as the machines that pump concrete to record heights.

No censorship, please.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #6970
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by joobn View Post
man those circular steel columns must have some serious strength!
You'd be surprised at how strong cylinders are. Someday, try standing on a single empty aluminum beverage can. If you slowly put your weight on it on one foot, it will not crush.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #6971
twickline

Likes (Received): 0

of course if your well balanced
twickline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #6972
Tumbling Dice

Likes (Received): 1

I hate re-posting pics so I refer you back to the photo re-posted by harryc on the previous page, post #6945. It just doesn't look right to me. From the scale/size of the roads, buildings and trees in the background, a picture shot at a couple of thousand feet up only looks a few hundred feet up. If you compare it say to pics shot from the cranes where the cars look like dots. Obviously just a trick of the eye, but something that struck me as odd about this particular pic.
Tumbling Dice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #6973
rj2uman
Maker of Lumpia

Likes (Received): 7

It never ceases to amaze me! But I guess I am surprised that these steel floors are so tall even with reading why and what they are being used for.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #6974
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Lenses don't move things closer and farther at a constant rate; telephoto lenses compress distances to the background, whereas wide angle lenses exaggerate it (you can work out the math...essentially it is because the apparent size of things increase by the square of the distance, but lenses have linear magnification). The "crane camera" was an extreme wide angle fisheye, whereas Imre's picture you are referencing clearly was taken with a telephoto lens.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #6975
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10139

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj2uman View Post
It never ceases to amaze me! But I guess I am surprised that these steel floors are so tall even with reading why and what they are being used for.
also remember that each 6.4m tall steel floor is TWO. there is a 2nd floor in there . so there are really 2x 3.2m each.which is a normal resi level.
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #6976
viger

Likes (Received): 0

Hi
Burj Dubai has a fantastic design, but I've always seen a non-armonic sequence of the roof-tier.
Using the Culwulla diagram posted on 14/04/2008 post 5976 I made a diagram of the height of a single tier (the difference in meters between a tier and the next one).
This is the result:

The height of the tier are increasing from the 23 meter of tier 2 till 61 meter of tier 12, then there is a break and the other tier are shorter, 20 meter each from tier 13 to tier 24 and 10 meter each from tier 25 to top
Why this?
What happen at tier 12, 503m?
viger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #6977
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Well, could you imagine how stretched out the Burj would look if all the tiers had some equal (and presumably) large height difference between them? I think it is mainly an aesthetic matter. But then why there is a sudden drop off in tier height at 503 meters...at that point one of the wings is already gone and the other two stop around that point, but they both stop at similar heights - little difference between them. Then it's just the core and that changes shape several times in very short distances. So that would explain the very noticeable change in your graph I think.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #6978
Sander-
21st century citizen

Likes (Received): 3

--delete: already posted--
Sander- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #6979
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

flickr, may 8th by eharnan

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #6980
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by viger View Post
Hi
Burj Dubai has a fantastic design, but I've always seen a non-armonic sequence of the roof-tier.
Using the Culwulla diagram posted on 14/04/2008 post 5976 I made a diagram of the height of a single tier (the difference in meters between a tier and the next one).
This is the result:

The height of the tier are increasing from the 23 meter of tier 2 till 61 meter of tier 12, then there is a break and the other tier are shorter, 20 meter each from tier 13 to tier 24 and 10 meter each from tier 25 to top
Why this?
What happen at tier 12, 503m?
The height of each tier is determined by the aerodynamics, and were finalised after computer simulations and wind tunnel tests of different scale models of the tower.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae