daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #7101
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spandex View Post
the ROTATION of the earth???
you are probably referring to the curvature of it

I can depict the rotation of the earth here in italy aswell, as lon as I can see the sun, but that is a slow progress and will damage your eyes
Mh, u possibly could do some interesting experiments somehow from up there to show the rotation of the earth!
We once did one in a physics lesson @ university:

We had a pendulum (with a heavy mass) on a ~7m wire. The professor started swinging it facing us students and the writing-board.
After about 10-15 minutes it is still swinging but u can notice that the angle of the oscillation had changed. That comes from the inertia of the mass and that the earth rotates during that time.
Earth rotation isn't that slow as most people think.
Try marking a shadow from an outside object in your room. After just 5 minutes the shadow has moved a few centimetres.

So when u take the height of the burj and build a looong pendulum, maybe in the lift shaft you could do some nice experiments, much more clearly then the short wire we had.
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #7102
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
Rotation of the Earth? Um, we're on the Earth so you can't see it move. Also it's impossible to see the curvature of the Earth even from the tallest mountains. Even in a plane you can't see it. Probably from a spy plane - which usually fly much higher than passenger jets.
from the concorde jets you could see the curvature of the earth. they flew at like 60,000 ft
here's a pic from the window...
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #7103
Johannes867

Likes (Received): 15

impossible is nothing, last year I stared at the Comcast Center in Philly (I think it must have been minutes)...then a worker came and said: "for 20 bucks I´ll take you to the top"...I gave him ten and went up...

But I don`t know if I would make it to the BD-spire...today I walked after years again just some 140 m up (Ulmer Münster) and for me it was quite high, what would it be like on a nearly six-times higher platform.

okay enough, back to topic ...but the shape looks a little bit similar to the BD.

Johannes
Bavaria - Germany
Johannes867 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:28 AM   #7104
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
from the concorde jets you could see the curvature of the earth. they flew at like 60,000 ft
here's a pic from the window...
You musnt go high up to see that. Just take a look on the ocean from the ground and you can see it's curved...
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #7105
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Again, you cannot notice the curvature itself from the surface. Only its effects - i.e. objects disappearing over the horizon on the ocean.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #7106
Suren
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes867 View Post
impossible is nothing, last year I stared at the Comcast Center in Philly (I think it must have been minutes)...then a worker came and said: "for 20 bucks I´ll take you to the top"...I gave him ten and went up...

But I don`t know if I would make it to the BD-spire...today I walked after years again just some 140 m up (Ulmer Münster) and for me it was quite high, what would it be like on a nearly six-times higher platform.

okay enough, back to topic ...but the shape looks a little bit similar to the BD.
Dear, Gothic architecture copied it's pointed arch from Islamic architecutre.

The pointed arch had its origins in ancient Assyrian architecture where it occurs in a number of structures as early as 720 BC. It passed into Sassanian-Persian architecture and from the conquest of Persia in 641 AD, became a standard feature of Islamic architecture.

The Norman conquest of Islamic Sicily in 1090, the Crusades which began in 1096 and the Islamic presence in Spain all brought about a knowledge of this significant structural device. It is probable also that decorative carved stone screens and window openings filled with pierced stone also influenced Gothic tracery. In Spain in particular individual decorative motifs occur which are common to both Islamic and Christian architectural mouldings and sculpture.

Zefire liked this post
Suren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #7107
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

16/May/2008

Burj Dubai mega update

115 new pics from the Burj Dubai area , from Satwa and from Nad Al Sheeba( Burj Dubai, The Address, The Lofts, Boulevard Plaza, Dubai MAll Hotell, Double Decker Road, Burj Dubai Metro Station etc..)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imresol...7605095570168/

any reposts welcome
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #7108
PwnedByASkyscraper
iPura Vida!

Likes (Received): 4

Excellent update!

If I'm right, your update is the first to show progress on the 2nd level mech cladding !

Paises Favoritas Que Yo Visite: United States, Costa Rica, Nederland, Espana, Deutschland

*All images I contribute to the site are from Flickr unless stated otherwise.
PwnedByASkyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #7109
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

This thing is so tall it's almost funny. Maybe it's because I'm a little drunk but I'm sober enough to post this.

Looking good though. This building is turning out perfectly.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #7110
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
16/May/2008Burj Dubai mega update

115 new pics from the Burj Dubai area , from Satwa and from Nad Al Sheeba( Burj Dubai, The Address, The Lofts, Boulevard Plaza, Dubai MAll Hotell, Double Decker Road, Burj Dubai Metro Station etc..)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imresol...7605095570168/

any reposts welcome
How is that not falling?

- Andy
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #7111
koolbuddy

Likes (Received): 0

about the curvature of earth and that post of mine ......... I just copy pasted what I got in the mail so please dont make fun of me ROFL ...........

Great updates IMRE, thanks a lot .... can someone please tell, how the cranes would be constructed at such heights ? (Dont tell that 1 crane will bring the other up lol)
May be this is answered many times before, if u can please redirect me over there. Thanks
koolbuddy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #7112
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
We should expect first 10th steel floor column on sunday
Thanks for that.

First piece of real and relevant information in the last few pages. So perhaps Sunday will be the day were it finally becomes the tallest man made structure ever. The legacy of the guywired mast will be put to pasture since they took over free standing buildings in the 1950s.

Zefire liked this post
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #7113
Koolhaasfan

Likes (Received): 0

@Metsfan

How the nr 15 object is not falling? It has beams attached to it, that point inside the building. The beams are sitting on a concrete construction and have a pressurized oil lever against the ceiling. This keeps the nr 15 object from falling down.

Maybe someone has a picture that explains it immediatly.
Koolhaasfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #7114
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

som of the favorites

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

ooooo my goood !

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Zefire liked this post
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #7115
The-King

Likes (Received): 741

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond 1000 View Post
Thanks for that.

First piece of real and relevant information in the last few pages. So perhaps Sunday will be the day were it finally becomes the tallest man made structure ever. The legacy of the guywired mast will be put to pasture since they took over free standing buildings in the 1950s.
Are you sure?

In my opinion there are a few more informative posts in this thread when you look back a little bit, just like the diagram of the spire from CULWULLA which is simply awesome! And don't forget all the pics from Imre, but good information anyway.
The-King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #7116
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

image hosted on flickr

i wonder when they suld start cleaning the windows
end i wonder 1 mour thing that`s is when they have clost up the bulding whit all the windows then they start the ac end geting down the tempeture incide the bulding i wonder how long that will take ?
it took a bout 5 month for burj al arab

Zefire liked this post
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #7117
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Don't expect new vertical beams today. If you see one of the Imre's pic, a horizontal beam is still missing from the outer perimeter of the 8th level. Who knows how many others might be missing from the inner part of the structure.

And gee ... stop talking about the curvature of the Earth, it's just a fisheye lens used to take the picture, that creates that visual effect.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #7118
Slurms Mackenzie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Don't expect new vertical beams today.

And gee ... stop talking about the curvature of the Earth, it's just a fisheye lens used to take the picture, that creates that visual effect.
Maybe I'm being a dumb structural engineer, but isn't a 'vertical beam' normally called a 'column'?

I agree with your second comment - people on this thread seem to think that as soon as you go higher than 600m, the laws of physics magically change! I would simply say that whatever effects you might get at 400m, will be about 50% greater at 600m. Of course this is being simplistic for some phenomena, such as wind loading etc. But I'm sure you get my point.

Yes it's a very tall building and a nice peice of engineering, but let's keep the discussion sensible. Big mountains are orders of magnitude taller than any skyscraper and even then we don't see the effects that many people on this site are hypothesising about.
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #7119
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

I wonder how much you'd have to pay to be allowed to climb up the service ladder of the pinnacle?

Also, what is the HVAC strategy for the building? Is it just AHUs at every 30 floors? Or water risers to each floor supplying fan coil units/ACs? Any specs on the fans used? E.g. axial, tangential flow, centrifugal etc??
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #7120
mcdonnell77

Likes (Received): 5

Well if you start cleaning the windows now you should be done by the time its finished

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae