daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:30 PM   #7301
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8
SSC

Likes (Received): 843

Please more photos news Imre, Old Town Resident, Altin D
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM   #7302
Slurms Mackenzie

Likes (Received): 1

In Australia too! Ground floor is the floor at ground level. The 'first floor' is the floor that is first to be built up above the ground. So it is one storey above ground.

The US always does everything differently, like their completely illogical way of writing the date. And spelling the word 'storey' as 'story'! And of course their unwillingness to convert to the much more sensible metric system! Maybe it is a product of being proud of their independence from Britain. But maybe they should just get over it...it's been a while!

The fact they use imperial units instead of metric is confusing....do they hate the French so much that they will cling to a British system that even the British have abandoned??? And don't get me started on the US ruining the english language by mis-spelling everything and using adjectives in sentences when they should be using adverbs!

Oh well, as people they're generally quite friendly and decent, so I'll stop complaining. And one of them designed the appearance of the Burj, so good work there!

Last edited by Slurms Mackenzie; May 22nd, 2008 at 04:02 PM.
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:09 PM   #7303
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

But there is something very funny about these levels calling systems. My sister just told me that russia has the same system lika us

So there is some similarity between russia and us
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM   #7304
The-King

Likes (Received): 742

we need pictures!!!!!!!!!!
The-King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM   #7305
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

calm down , you've to wait as all others too
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:25 PM   #7306
PwnedByASkyscraper
iPura Vida!

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-King View Post
we need pictures!!!!!!!!!!
image hosted on flickr

Super Large Version

flickr, 5/18 by shaolo/paolo

HAPPY?!

Paises Favoritas Que Yo Visite: United States, Costa Rica, Nederland, Espana, Deutschland

*All images I contribute to the site are from Flickr unless stated otherwise.
PwnedByASkyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:34 PM   #7307
The-King

Likes (Received): 742

thanks PwnedByASkyscraper, I just want to see any detailed pictures from today or yesterday which show the columns which make it the highest structure ever on top of it, but ZZ-II is right, I will have to wait
The-King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:30 PM   #7308
Partizan

Likes (Received): 1

Any pictures @ 650m ?
Partizan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:58 PM   #7309
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurms Mackenzie View Post
In Australia too! Ground floor is the floor at ground level. The 'first floor' is the floor that is first to be built up above the ground. So it is one storey above ground.

The US always does everything differently, like their completely illogical way of writing the date. And spelling the word 'storey' as 'story'! And of course their unwillingness to convert to the much more sensible metric system! Maybe it is a product of being proud of their independence from Britain. But maybe they should just get over it...it's been a while!

The fact they use imperial units instead of metric is confusing....do they hate the French so much that they will cling to a British system that even the British have abandoned??? And don't get me started on the US ruining the english language by mis-spelling everything and using adjectives in sentences when they should be using adverbs!

Oh well, as people they're generally quite friendly and decent, so I'll stop complaining. And one of them designed the appearance of the Burj, so good work there!

Haha....yeah whenever I see the metric height for this building I always go to the online converter and convert it to feet so I can get a grasp on how tall it really is.

2132.55 feet is easier for me to grasp than 650 meters for some reason. I guess people more comfortable with what they're used to all their lives and people don't want to change what works so well over here.

Interestingly enough when I went to the U.K. last year I was surprised they used miles for highway distances but thought it was interesting they put yards on exit signs. I'm used to fractions of a mile and feet for exit signs and only think about yards when I'm watching Football.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:04 PM   #7310
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Cmmn someone please gotta take the photo at the top. I mean the history just turned its head to BD, I'm dying here to see something ( I mean its been almost 4 days since) without the photo
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:34 PM   #7311
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

are you guys a bit hooked on BD pics???? 4 days without pics and you get crazy
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM   #7312
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
are you guys a bit hooked on BD pics???? 4 days without pics and you get crazy
Don't be stupid ZZ. Of course the reason people are wanting to see pictures is not because it has been 4 days without pictures, but because it JUST PASSED THE BIGGEST MILESTONE EVER. Sometimes I get the idea that you get paid for every time you post on this site, but this is the most ridiculous thing you have ever said. Of course we all have to be patient and wait until one of our appreciated photographers takes a picture, but there is a valid reason why everyone wants to see a picture specifically now.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM   #7313
Genç
re re re ra ra ra

Likes (Received): 34

What's the height of BD's observatory? Will SWFC's 472m one be higher?
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:24 PM   #7314
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

SWFC's observatory is higher. Burj Dubai's onservation deck is 442 meters as far as I remember.

Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM   #7315
Genç
re re re ra ra ra

Likes (Received): 34

Ah cool, that's what I was thinking - I'm a little dissapointed about that though. The world's tallest building (considerably) will not have the highest observation deck, it doesn't make sense to me! You wanna look down from a great height, not just look up.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM   #7316
harm123

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genç View Post
Ah cool, that's what I was thinking - I'm a little dissapointed about that though. The world's tallest building (considerably) will not have the highest observation deck, it doesn't make sense to me! You wanna look down from a great height, not just look up.
Well, at some point, higher observatory does not always mean a "better" one.
I'd rather have a view from 300-400 meters height, then from, say, 700 meters.

Okay, maybe for a minute 700 meters would be fun, but then you notice you really can't see the city that good anymore.
Flying in an airplane at 300 meters height, is better (as viewing is concerned) then at 700 meters.

Plus, there is not enough space higher up the Burj Dubai for a publicly accessible observatory.
harm123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM   #7317
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

you're right! sure, it sounds a bit weird, 800m tower and the OB deck on 442m, and i also would love to stand on 700m, but that's just becauso of the number . you can't see more from 700m than from 400m, because the view in Dubai is not that clear than lets say in Germany on a sunny day.
and remember: on 442m you can look down 400m and still look up almost 400m, that's quite impressive IMO!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:38 PM   #7318
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

I just opened up a burj dubai website and it says that BD wont be 819 metres but 825 metres. I hope this is true but could be just a rumour. http://dubai-tower.blogspot.com/2008...s-not-819.html
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:00 AM   #7319
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2674

Who on earth is the owner of that blog?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM   #7320
Darth Shemp
Armani

Likes (Received): 0

He is here every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
I just opened up a burj dubai website and it says that BD wont be 819 metres but 825 metres. I hope this is true but could be just a rumour. http://dubai-tower.blogspot.com/2008...s-not-819.html
If you would just open up the previous couple pages of this thread you will find your answer. No use going anywhere else. He is just taking pix and info from here anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurms Mackenzie View Post
And don't get me started on the US ruining the english language by mis-spelling everything and using adjectives in sentences when they should be using adverbs!
Are you sure you are talking about the u.s. or vanhenrik?

...zz, you need to take a little vacation.
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae