daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:46 AM   #7321
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

buildmilhightower-its not a website. its a blog. which basically means it can any info in it, accurate or not. its like wikipedia.
BurjDubai hasnt grown just measured more accurately.
It has 3 dif entry levels. unusual for a new skyscraper. normally just one entrance level
take your pic>
entry1= 819m (ground level-residential lobby, observatory elevator lobby ect
entry2=825m (concourse level-office lobby,meeting,ballrooms,restaurant,loading dock ect
entry3=834m (b2-parking,mechanical, tenant storage ect

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:48 AM   #7322
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Cul : ( heights include the handrail on top )

Entrance to hotel lobby - faces zone c / 0 degrees - is at Level 1 - 815.1 m.
Entrance to Residence lobby - faces zone b / 240 degrees - is at Ground Level - 819.1 m.
Entrance to Botique office lobby - faces zone a / 120 degrees - is at Concourse Level - 825.1 m.

Here is a link to a new youtube vid

Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:57 AM   #7323
London21

Likes (Received): 42

Cheers for the info and the youtube link Fury.
Can anybody hire a helicopter and go around the burj dubai like in the video?
London21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:08 AM   #7324
=Tep=

Likes (Received): 7

ยินดีด้วยครับ Congrat
=Tep= no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:30 AM   #7325
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Cul : ( heights include the handrail on top )

Entrance to hotel lobby - faces zone c / 0 degrees - is at Level 1 - 815.1 m.
Entrance to Residence lobby - faces zone b / 240 degrees - is at Ground Level - 819.1 m.
Entrance to Botique office lobby - faces zone a / 120 degrees - is at Concourse Level - 825.1 m.

Here is a link to a new youtube vid

yes. height now always includes aircraft beacon because its permanent part of pinnacle.
oh? i didnt know the it was those 3 levels 815m?
so theres no level 15.2m below grd/ where slab starts?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:02 AM   #7326
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi Cul.

Yes there is a raft level ( my name ) that is 2.05m. high from the raft to the floor of level B2. It is not used as it is only approx 1.8 m. high when you factor in the thickness of B2 floorslab.

So ...

Level 1 - Entrance
Ground level - Entrance
Concourse Level - Entrance
Level B1 - Parking
Level B2 - Parking
Raft Level - Not used

Here is a partial print of the Ground Level and Levels B1 and B2 parking layout diagrams. I just took screenshots of them - not posted before.

What I wouldn't do for the complete set of blueprints for this thing.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:21 AM   #7327
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

i wonder where u got those plans ? especially the 1st one. Skytower right ?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:25 AM   #7328
Fury
Proudly Canadian

You bet - and I have thanked him on these and other forums many times. He is well aware of how gratefull I and others are to him for getting and putting all that mainframe info up for us all to download.

What is your point ???
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:42 AM   #7329
ominorg
At méxico city

Likes (Received): 353

hey, I come into this thread looking for pictures of the building, Do you know where can I find them???
ominorg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:45 AM   #7330
CULWULLA

^woah.
thanks fury, cleared things up.
so my next question. should we add 6m to all heights ?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:31 AM   #7331
ominorg
At méxico city

What's the need for building such a big thing??? I don't like. It will look so alone, and the design is just a neddle planted on the desert. I really don't like.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:31 AM   #7332
CULWULLA

^why are you on these forums?
Burj Dubai is the next wonder of the world. the tallest everything and you complain?
i just dont get it. shakes head
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:38 AM   #7333
ominorg
At méxico city

hey, does this forums are only to say: "ohh what a good thing", I don't think so, this forums are made for postting what people thinks, isn't it??? And that's what I think and I still say it, I don't like.

Last edited by ominorg; May 23rd, 2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:41 AM   #7334
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi Cul.

If they do measure from the concourse level - yes - the numbers for each level will have to be changed. If and when they do that I will make a ver 4 of my plan with all the new numbers and leave this ver 3 as a construction plan or something. But for now I am going to stick with the plans and the numbers we have been using - unless they change the plans of course. Not much use in changing everything and then find out later they do measure from the Ground level.

I am with you though - it probably will end up being 825.1 m. - concourse to handrail on top.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:35 AM   #7335
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

So in reality the previous floor surpassed the Warsawa Radio Mast, which means we already have seen lots of photos of it being the tallest man made structure ever. I was saying all along....Skytower was right.

Zefire liked this post
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM   #7336
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ominorg View Post
hey, does this forums are only to say: "ohh what a good thing", I don't think so, this forums are made for postting what people thinks, isn't it??? And that's what I think and I still say it, I don't like.
The need for building such large scale things is the most basic human need - to become better at everything we do. It's quite an achievement to build something so tall, surpassing everything ever built before. It shows that our engineering knowledge and ability has developed.

EDIT: Btw, I'm not saying you shouldn't post, I'm just posting my own opinion in response
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:10 PM   #7337
aravinda

Likes (Received): 2

World’s highest BASE jump

Either I missed this story in this thread, or everyone else did! Can't wait for the video to find its way to YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7DAYS
Burj birdman
By Ali Al-Shouk

A British man has leapt from the Burj Dubai to successfully complete the world’s highest BASE jump from a building - and promptly landed himself a date in court next week. The 36-year-old adventurer clambered up 150 floors of stairs without being spotted by security guards before leaping with a parachute just after 5am as dawn broke. He was arrested soon after landing.

“The Burj Dubai is the world’s tallest building and is a marvel of the world. I wanted to honour it, Emaar and Dubai by jumping safely from it,” he told 7DAYS. “I’m a sportsman, not a criminal. I’m responsible for my actions, but I’m regretful of any trouble it has caused the Dubai authorities as this wasn’t my intention.”

The man, who wished to remain anonymous until his court case, added: “I have over 250 BASE jumps and many more skydives. All my jumps are planned carefully to minimise any risk to myself, anyone else and the object that I’m jumping from.” Officials at Public Prosecution said the man was arrested following last month’s jump and is due in court next week charged with illegally entering a property.

He could face one year in jail and a fine of dhs5,000. “His helmet had a video camera to record his jump. He didn’t try to get permission from Emaar because he was afraid that they would reject his request. He wanted to enter the ‘Guinness World Records’,” a source close to the case said. “He came to the UAE specifically to do the jump. His altimeter said he jumped from a height of more than 600 metres.”

Defence lawyer Hamdan Al-Harmi, a partner in Al-Sharif Advocates, maintained that his client was not guilty of anything. “Jumping from a building is not a crime because my client is professional and was secured,” he said. “He has done many jumps before and he knew what he was doing. It is not a crime to enter an under-construction building and he didn’t know that it was forbidden to do so. He had no evil intentions.”

A second BASE jumper, a 47-year-old Frenchman, was arrested last month at the tower with his parachute equipment as he also attempted the feat.
He was stopped before he jumped and has also been charged with illegally entering a building. The term BASE jumping is derived from the four categories of fixed objects from which a parachute jump can be made - building, antenna, span and earth.
http://www.7days.ae/showstory.php?id=72989
aravinda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM   #7338
CULWULLA

wow, 150 floors.550m? what a jump. hope it goes on youtube.
beyond-yes it may have already surpassed warsawa mast weeks ago.
i reckon after burD is ompleted they should get spiderman to climb to aircraft beacon platform and swan dive off the top! 825m straight down!! woohooo
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:01 PM   #7339
Slurms Mackenzie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I guess people more comfortable with what they're used to all their lives and people don't want to change what works so well over here.

Interestingly enough when I went to the U.K. last year I was surprised they used miles for highway distances but thought it was interesting they put yards on exit signs.
Yeah they have hedged their bets in the UK! I think it's because everyone would have to change the speedometer on their car! Everything else is metric. I'm an Australian engineer, but work in London.

On the Parc1 Project in Seoul (350m towers listed on this forum), a small part of the project was done in the US and it was a complete debacle trying to understand each other! We were talking in kNm and they were using kip-feet!

I recall that joint US-Europe space mission a few years back where a billion-dollar space probe was lost forever because one team had used yards and the other team had used metres. It missed the target and floated off into space.

Metric has a logical basis for it, where imperial is all based on the length of some Swedish king's foot or something similarly ridiculous!
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM   #7340
nakoi28
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 1

no new pictures?
nakoi28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae