daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM   #7341
edward77x
Locrio de Arenque

Likes (Received): 0

Dubai has the potential to be the world's greatest city. I just hope they continue to gradually become more socially liberal and democratic in that part of the world though. Having a bunch of skyscrapers in a place ruled by Islamic laws, kings and princes would suck big time.
edward77x no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:54 PM   #7342
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

nope, Dubai should seek development while maintaining its Islamic culture and laws.
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:01 PM   #7343
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
wow, 150 floors.550m? what a jump. hope it goes on youtube.
Check the BD thread on the UAE section.

(no, no ... no video posted there)
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM   #7344
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw View Post
nope, Dubai should seek development while maintaining its Islamic culture and laws.
Thats an issue for the future inhabitants of Dubai and the UAE. Immigration is a double ended sword, Multiculturalism is already a given in Dubai as we speak it's a matter of integration of culture and how or if it is done that is the issue.

Anyhow Dubai is secular enough at the moment in my opinion. The balance of Liberty's and Rights is ok considering the extreme changes that have occurred, little destabilization through massive change. Dubai and the UAE should be the Al-Andulas of the 21st Century.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:57 PM   #7345
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ominorg View Post
What's the need for building such a big thing??? I don't like. It will look so alone, and the design is just a neddle planted on the desert. I really don't like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
^why are you on these forums?
Burj Dubai is the next wonder of the world. the tallest everything and you complain?
i just dont get it. shakes head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ominorg View Post
hey, does this forums are only to say: "ohh what a good thing", I don't think so, this forums are made for postting what people thinks, isn't it??? And that's what I think and I still say it, I don't like.
Culwulla, why do you (and many others) always criticize and put down people that do not like the Burj Dubai? Whenever someone makes a comment that you do not like or agree with, you always reply as if they are completely wrong and that such opinions are not welcome here. Well, I should say that you are wrong. Opinions of all types should be welcome here, no matter what you think. As Ominorg rightly states, these forums are to discuss the Burj Dubai and to not only say "nice picture," "nice building," "best building in the world," "the world's best," etc. We are supposed to discuss why the Burj Dubai is good and bad, whether it should or should not have been built. That is what makes these forums good, because there is no censorship or brick walls to prevent certain views.

I should add that just because the "Burj Dubai is the next wonder of the world [and] the tallest everything" does not make it great. The Burj Dubai has many problems and I think the massive scale/size of this building does not automatically make it the best in the world.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:01 PM   #7346
Doomlord_uk

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Dubai and the UAE should be the Al-Andulas of the 21st Century.
I hope not, Al-Adulas was taken at the point of a sword. Not that the UAE needed conquering again...

Anyway, it's exciting to think this is now the tallest ever structure on earth! I've been away from this forum for a couple of weeks and pretty well missed when it reached 650ms. There have been some awesome pictures of the BD taken now, and I can't wait to see the cladding reach the start of the steel section!!

And personally, I think a building's height should be taken from ground level. If you are going to take some arbitrary level, it might as well be the footings of the foundation..... (obviously not a good idea). An interesting case though is the Glasgow School of Art designed by Charles Rennie MacIntosh - the front facade, where the entrance is, is two stories but at the back it's four stories. How tall is that building?
Doomlord_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM   #7347
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Maybe after so many years in this site and tens of thousands of posts, we've seen it all, where the people are coming from and why they might say the thing they say. Plus hearing newbies after newbies coming with the same questions and "arguments" over and over again ... it get kind a frustrating.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:15 PM   #7348
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

u forgot everything about Al Andalus and only remembered the sword?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystyle View Post
Thats an issue for the future inhabitants of Dubai and the UAE. Immigration is a double ended sword, Multiculturalism is already a given in Dubai as we speak it's a matter of integration of culture and how or if it is done that is the issue.
Future inhabitans should come by our own rules. If they don't like it, they should leave. I don't care about any supposedly lose as a result of that
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:53 PM   #7349
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

photos?
not even burjdubaiskyscraper.com has any
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #7350
Darth Shemp
Armani

New pics every day including new crane photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/favorites/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #7351
Rafal.Druzkowski

Future inhabitans should come by our own rules. If they don't like it, they should leave. I don't care about any supposedly lose as a result of that [/QUOTE]

very true and fair

My opinion is exactly the same
Rafal.Druzkowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #7352
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi Darth.

Nice find. The first site has been part of my rounds for a while now. The second will be now too.

Thanks.

Old May 24th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #7353
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

by me 1 month old ..more later
[IMG]http://i27.************/14nojnd.jpg[/IMG]
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #7354
Suren
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward77x View Post
Dubai has the potential to be the world's greatest city. I just hope they continue to gradually become more socially liberal and democratic in that part of the world though. Having a bunch of skyscrapers in a place ruled by Islamic laws, kings and princes would suck big time.
I don't hope so. As a Christian, I hope Dubai will follow their cultural tradition so when I come to visit Dubai I'll like to see their original culture, not some quasi-Western copy (like Israel).

Zefire liked this post
Suren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #7355
Renan MG
The Force´s Strong in you

Burj Dubai is getting more and more impressive !
I've seen many people saying: "I don't like Burj Dubai ! its design is not cool..."

Well, let's see their opinion when the structure is completed. I bet they will change their mind !
Renan MG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #7356
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10132

this is supposed taken yesterday may23
cant see new beams?
image hosted on flickr
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #7357
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi Cul.

I dated it at 08 04 10.

Same level as the first 2 posted from this perspective - 160 mezz. 3 - first level of tier 18. ( The first 2 I dated at 08 04 03 and 08 04 06 )

Edit - after looking through some pics the 10th is probably closer than the 8th - somewhere around there anyway

Last edited by Fury; May 24th, 2008 at 04:43 AM.
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:21 AM   #7358
Janne_H

Likes (Received): 411

Finally a base jump from the Burj, I've waited for it.
I don't understand the negative comment about that jump. It's just free advertising for Dubai.
Janne_H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #7359
Fury
Proudly Canadian

- I think basejumping is cool, but ...

If it causes Samsung to ban site visits permanently that is not cool. For the vast majority of us here that don't live in Dubai update pics are all we have. Many good updates came from random people visiting the site not to mention the 2 big updates from Imre visiting the site.

Old May 24th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #7360
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

No lift core?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae