daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #7701
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx_2000 View Post
Does anybody know what sort of progress is being made on the interiors?
I was wondering the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #7702
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Picasa - Sampath - 08 05 29

Panoramio - Hessam Moosavi - 08 06 04

Old June 7th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #7703
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Site View Post
**** that though :P What happens if the lift breaks down
you can of course use others but if all the elevators break down, then people have to walk upto 160 floors of stairs, and worst for the spire inspectors, 800 metres up the stairs. (If the crane remains, they can lift themselves up by help of the crane but will be really scary)
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #7704
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

anyone know when the internal and super fast elevators are being installed?

When it happens the external elevators can finally be terminated and cladding can be all over the tower.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #7705
glassNsteel

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAdrian View Post
Yes, afaik they're gonna lift only one of the cranes to help with the final assembly of the spire.

nice CAD motion captures......I've never seen those before. Is that you, Mr. Smith??
glassNsteel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #7706
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The spire has more structural importance then people credit it with.

... plus, why CN Tower goes for a further 130 meters up, above the sky pod? Not that it would really concern me because I don't care wither way about that structure, just a note considering the subject was brought up.
I have to agree with Tag_one. When I look at the 705M version and the 818M version of Burj Dubai, it looks like the entire difference is a huge lengthening of the spire. It's purpose seems to be purely archetectural - an effort to maximize height for little additional cost. The Petronas Towers, Burj Dubai and a lot of other buildings with structurally irrelevant extensions have this in common.

As you can tell, I'm not a fan of using unoccupied floors to stretch the height of a building so you can brag about it afterwords.

There's a reasons no one considered the CN Tower as the world's tallest building - because it had a lot of unoccupied floors. Why does the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitats keep record of the highest occupied floor? Because for some people like me, if you can't work or live in it, it doesn't deserve much credit.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 03:22 AM   #7707
edward77x
Locrio de Arenque

If a person falls from the top floor what kind of medical services will be provided for them on the ground? Just curious.

Last edited by edward77x; June 7th, 2008 at 04:25 AM.
edward77x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #7708
Mr.Burn
Il cabrone

Likes (Received): 170

the spatula service
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #7709
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward77x View Post
If a person falls from the top floor what kind of medical services will be provided for them on the ground? Just curious.
There'll be a wet/dry vacuum cleaner on call 24/7.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:55 AM   #7710
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10124

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5archit View Post
I don't want to seem like a troll, especially considering that I have probably never posted in this thread..But, I was looking at the diagrams posted above of the projected heights and I couldn't help but notice that at least a quarter of this building will be just antenna or steel structure with limited or no actual use. It doesn't really concern me, because I don't care either way about this building, but it is something to note.

What are the motivations for making it so tall?
Why if it is so tall does it need to have 220m + antenna?

And lastly, would you ever consider living on say floor 148?

p5
motivations to make it so tall? gee, so many reasons. why was the empire state building built? the devlopers and architects wanted a landmark. a wonder of the world.something for the people.
Burj Dubai was originally going to be 600m which would have made it easilt tallest building in wolrd. then 705m which would make it tallest structure ever. then a ongoing deaign change and progression increased it to over 800m. why not i say. its a new wonder of the world. It has nearly doubled the height of current tallest building.The human race likes to push boundaries. its in our instinct.
architect A smith is a genious by creating a tower which steps in skywards to the terminate into the heavens with a shiny pinnacle. you cant see where roof is or where spire starts. architectural marvel.
the highest apartment floor is 108 not 148.
only slightly higher then current highest on 95th floor of John hancock centre in chicago
love these pix>
http://www.pic4u.us/images/8rfujpajrqyr1by8r2ns.jpg
Old June 7th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #7711
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

06/June/2008

Burj Dubai, bad weather yesterday..

more pics on the flickr
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #7712
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceScraper View Post
I have to agree with Tag_one. When I look at the 705M version and the 818M version of Burj Dubai, it looks like the entire difference is a huge lengthening of the spire. It's purpose seems to be purely archetectural - an effort to maximize height for little additional cost. The Petronas Towers, Burj Dubai and a lot of other buildings with structurally irrelevant extensions have this in common.

As you can tell, I'm not a fan of using unoccupied floors to stretch the height of a building so you can brag about it afterwords.

There's a reasons no one considered the CN Tower as the world's tallest building - because it had a lot of unoccupied floors. Why does the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitats keep record of the highest occupied floor? Because for some people like me, if you can't work or live in it, it doesn't deserve much credit.
Hi Spacescraper.

There is also a reason the council has 4 records for buildings and not just one. The other 3 are just as important to some as the highest occupied floor. I think it is good to keep records in all 4 categories.

The CN Tower held the tallest free standing structure on land record for over 30 years. A great structure and of course has very few occupied floors being it is a tower - taller than any building.

The Burj being much taller than even guyed masts is in a class of its own. I think guyed masts deserve their records as well as they were taller than anything else out there - were being the operative word. I prefer not to call the Burj a building ( even though officially it is ) or a tower but a structure because it is taller than anything else including masts.

The spire and pinnacle finish the complex arrangment of tiers and setbacks to the top. It both matters not, and makes sense, to me that it is not occupied as the floor area gets too small.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect yours but many here like the spire and pinnacle for the reason I metioned above and for the height it ends up at. Over 800 meters is a fantastic milestone.

Remember - opinions are like *******s, everybodies got one, just some stink more than others.
I'M KIDDING !!!

Old June 7th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #7713
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Must be terrifying working in the cranes. I can't even imagine.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #7714
unknownquinones
GMA7 Powers Founder

I have a video that I imported in YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSVsb32S8jo

WARNING: This is my own-work in One True Media.
unknownquinones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #7715
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

your own work but not your own pics ....however, thx for the video
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #7716
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

Great new pictures Imre. Only thing that bugs me a little bit is the quality. What ISO are you shooting at and how do you compress the images. They tend to look subtly blurred or out of focus and have artifacts to them, that even a basic consumer camera shouldn't create. I imagine Dubai has excellent Lighting conditions on a sunny day.

It could be excessive JPEG compression, which is easily changed.
85% / 15% Quality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassNsteel View Post
nice CAD motion captures......I've never seen those before. Is that you, Mr. Smith??
Hehe no, another not so famous Adrian here. That forum name was taken, so i thought of a way around calling myself Adrian123
They're screencaps from a documentary. Very low res unfortunately.
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #7717
Library User

Likes (Received): 1

Question for Ray Fleury - Building diagram direction

As I understand it, in all the BD building diagrams, the wings point to 12 o'clock, 4 and 8 o'clock which would be 0, 120 and 240, but in the document on Tier Methodology, the real directions the wings face are 60, 180 and 300, and the building entrances in the core tips face 0 (North) 120 and 240.

I'm used to seeing maps where north points to the top, but in all the BD diagrams, it appears that North corresponds to the 2 o'clock position, or 60 degrees clockwise of what I would usually see on a North American map.

Did I miss something ? or what would be the explanation for showing it in this orientation ?

Also, what are the two low ( 5 and 8 storey) triangular shaped structures located at the ends of two of the Podium wings ?

Thank you
Library User no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #7718
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAdrian View Post
Yes, afaik they're gonna lift only one of the cranes to help with the final assembly of the spire.

where did you get these pics from ?????
Old June 7th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #7719
Tumbling Dice

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
where did you get these pics from ?????
Mind your own business.

Or read the post two above your own, dumbass.
Tumbling Dice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #7720
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Update 8th May 08

Nothing wrong with Imres ISO settings, its the weather (high humidity and low visibility).

[IMG]http://i25.************/67mb94.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i31.************/33eplll.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.************/2rnj5tz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.************/21biyx2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i30.************/1zwcfty.jpg[/IMG]
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae